As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old Scanner </3 64 bit Win7 installation

WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood varietyRegistered User regular
I have a CanoScan scanner that I've used for a long time, but I can't use it in my current setup because my Win7 installation is 64-bit, and the scanner, being a dated model, does not have any 64-bit drivers. Cheapskate that I am, I don't want to buy a new scanner if the old scanner is not broken.... so, what sort of workaround can I do? Some sort of virtual machine installation, perhaps?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Wearingglasses on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If you have Windows 7 Pro, you can get it working in XP mode. I know this because I got a free HP scanner from a garage sale that's about as old as I am (slightly exaggerating but... yeah it's old) and I got it working in XP mode. Let me know if you require more detailed handholding than Google is able to provide.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Ah, no, sorry. I only have Home Premium.

If you already own some sort of other VM software and a copy of XP, that would probably also do it, although it would be clunkier.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Dang, no way but that, then? I guess I'll have to try the VMWare trial for this then.

Thanks dude.

Some scanner drivers can be cobbled together to work in a 64 bit environment, but it's very dependent on which scanner you use and which set of shady drivers you download online. If you feel like poking around on Google to see if anyone has gotten your particular scanner/scanning software working, that's worth a try, but barring that solution, you'll need a VM, or dual booting or something.