As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The DC Universe (Established 2011) + Sept. Solicits

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Although I guess the fight in Batgirl #3 and Nightwing #4 are the same one, only from different perspectives?

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    He is conspicuously hipsterish for someone from a small Mexican town—be he gay, straight, or an alien. I want to hate the fauxhawk. I know a gay Mexican 40-year-old who had one a few years ago, which seems like that should have been the tail end of that particular nonsense.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I appreciate the attempt to make a gay character that is open and flamboyant. We need to dispel the vague idea that homosexuality is okay as long as they don't "flaunt" it. Pop culture helps.

But it takes a very skillful nuance to write or else the thing just collapses. I will grit my teeth and be cautiously optimistic for now.

Lux on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    On the other hand, Superheroing doesn't seem like a trade friendly toward people who are flamboyant, girly, finnicky, or in any way irritated by their clothes or hairdo being messed up in the middle of a huge fight. Honestly, superheroism is like lumberjacking in that you should be in shape and not really give a crap about how sharp or pretty you look.

On the other hand, there's Booster Gold.

Or Fire Emblem from Tiger and Bunny.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Dubble poast

Robos A Go Go on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Munch wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    On the other hand, Superheroing doesn't seem like a trade friendly toward people who are flamboyant, girly, finnicky, or in any way irritated by their clothes or hairdo being messed up in the middle of a huge fight. Honestly, superheroism is like lumberjacking in that you should be in shape and not really give a crap about how sharp or pretty you look.

On the other hand, there's Booster Gold.

Or Fire Emblem from Tiger and Bunny.

And Bag's criticism could just as easily apply to fashion conscious female heroes like The Wasp or Monet St. Croix.

Maybe it does make more sense for a superhero to be like a lumberjack, but nobody wants to exclusively read about lumberjacks who don't care about nothing but punching.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Siegfried wrote:
    Yeah but when you make a Latino character and a gay character rather than 2in1 you get flatter characters imo.

It feels like they want to double count all their minority characters so they can always have sizable lists of various minorities without actually having that many minority characters. Basically, I'm suspicious of what seems like a Twofer Token Minority. In unrelated news, I am inexplicably unimaginably cynical about race in comics.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Siegfried wrote:
    Yeah but when you make a Latino character and a gay character rather than 2in1 you get flatter characters imo.

It feels like they want to double count all their minority characters so they can always have sizable lists of various minorities without actually having that many minority characters. Basically, I'm suspicious of what seems like a Twofer Token Minority. In unrelated news, I am inexplicably unimaginably cynical about race in comics.

I have the same cynical reaction, though mostly because when I see a new character that isn't white/male/straight introduced they frequently feel like they exsist to fill a quota.

• GankGank Registered User regular
    Scrolled back a couple of pages and couldn't find this, IGN has a nifty lookin' preview of Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Usually not a fan of a messy-ish art style but that looks all kinds a purdy.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    so the DC reboots are definitely worth buying?

steam_sig.png
    Bagginses wrote:
    Siegfried wrote:

Probably because for all the bitching people do about the lack of women writers, I cannot think of one writer of color.

I've never followed anything DC super closely but I've changed that with the reboot. So far all the 1st issues I've read have setup their stories nicely, and my only complaint is that there are so few pages of actual comic to read.

Superboy gets my vote for "most improved" character (based off 1 issue mind you).
    Detective Comics and Batman&Robin seem to remain "untouched" from what I can tell (save the obvious character line-up changes)
    Action Comics seems to be going down an interesting road, so will give it time to develop before deciding if I want to follow it.

TL;DR: Yes.

Though I am curious if trades of these books will appear, and if so, when? I hate waiting but I don't really want to get back into the "bag/board&storage" ways of my youth.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Siegfried wrote:

Probably because for all the bitching people do about the lack of women writers, I cannot think of one writer of color.

kevin grevouix
    christopher priest
    greg pak
    dwayne mcduffie
    reggie hudlin

7656367.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    and that is after like two seconds of thinking

7656367.jpg
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    kevin grevouix
    christopher priest
    greg pak
    dwayne mcduffie
    reggie hudlin

Gone
    Gone
    YAY!
    Dead
    Gone

That's not an inspiring list.

Eric Wallace (the current Mr. Terrific writer) counts. That's off the top of my head.

There are far more artists than writers.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Just because a writer isn't writing a book right now doesn't mean they are "gone"

I mean look at Scott Lobdell

CYpGAPn.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    J. Torres, Francis Manapul (now), and I bet Felicia Henderson is going to be writing something for DC. Just a hunch based on the fact that she was supposed to write Static and they realize they didn't have any women.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    which one was the BET guy? Because I vaguely remember him writing a pretty racially insensitive black panther comic with his wide stereotype brush (then made fun of on The Boondocks in an episode that cartoon network wouldn't re-air). He was probably an exception to the rule but there are times when I wonder what the people who didn't get the job did to put the actual creative teams on books.

edited September 2011
    Ah. I forgot Pak of the folks on TLB's list. Torres and Manapul were out of mind since I've never read anything by them, so fair enough.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2011
    EDIT: What the?

Crimsondude on
    That is Reggie Huldin who is indeed a pretty terrible writer

CYpGAPn.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

I've never followed anything DC super closely but I've changed that with the reboot. So far all the 1st issues I've read have setup their stories nicely, and my only complaint is that there are so few pages of actual comic to read.

Superboy gets my vote for "most improved" character (based off 1 issue mind you).
    Detective Comics and Batman&Robin seem to remain "untouched" from what I can tell (save the obvious character line-up changes)
    Action Comics seems to be going down an interesting road, so will give it time to develop before deciding if I want to follow it.

Though I am curious if trades of these books will appear, and if so, when? I hate waiting but I don't really want to get back into the "bag/board&storage" ways of my youth.

Crap. Guess I'll go drop a check at the comic shop. I haven't bought comics since like. . .2005.

(edit: this isn't exactly true.)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    The most acclaimed titles of the reboot so far are probably:
    Action Comics
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Batwoman
    Batman and Robin
    Demon Knights
    Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE

I would also recommend Resurrection Man, Justice League, Justice League International and Superboy.

CYpGAPn.png

Crap. Guess I'll go drop a check at the comic shop. I haven't bought comics since like. . .2005.

(edit: this isn't exactly true.)

Same boat as myself. I've picked up a few trades here and there but for the most part I haven't bothered with proper comic books since the mid... 00's, 2000's, whatever means 2003ish - 2006ish.

Justice League solicits

Cyborg is born in JL #4, Dan Jurgens and Keith Giffen take over as writers of Green Arrow.

TexiKen wrote:
    Dan Jurgens and Keith Giffen take over as writers of Green Arrow.

That's interesting.

Also, glad to see that the JLI was also able to get in on the unconscious-team-on-the-cover action. I really hope that Justice League Dark has the same thing going on, just so DC can complete the trifecta.

Mister Terrific #4 has another artist change. That book's gonna look great in TPB.

Well that explains why Jurgens was practically giddy about Green Arrow in that JLI interview.

Im definitely going to pick up GA 4, I always liked Ollie and I've enjoyed both OMAC and JLI so I think I'll probably dig this too.

CYpGAPn.png
    I kind of think Andy Kubert is going to fill-in for Lee on Justice League at some point.

DC rumors

Kyle Higgins and Barrows might both be off Nightwing soon, and Men of War might be the first book cancelled at 6 issues.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    It may be cancelled eventually so far it's sold out and has had a second print, I'm not sure how it can qualified as cancelled after that.

Also am I the only one amused that Marvel's new stunt for next year seems to be pretty much what DC just did.

• Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    uh no it's not?

ultimates-1.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Trevor McCarthy drawing Nightwing is exciting

Cade wrote:
    It may be cancelled eventually so far it's sold out and has had a second print, I'm not sure how it can qualified as cancelled after that.

If retailers ordered 17,000 copies of Men of War, DC probably printed 17,100.

So, a sell-out only means that retailers sold everything they ordered, and then that little bit of the overstock they printed. It doesn't mean that the initial order wasn't low to begin with.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    DC rumors

Kyle Higgins and Barrows might both be off Nightwing soon, and Men of War might be the first book cancelled at 6 issues.

Very interesting. Apparently there's a whole bevy of titles that will expire after issue 6, already known by DC.

Hrmm. And I'm curious about team changes for Green Arrow and Nightwing. I'd totally read Green Arrow under Jurgens and Giffen if they're a permanent team, and I love Nightwing as a character but I hate "back to your roots" type stories like the one solicited for him so far, so I was really excited to see what the second arc would be. If it has a new writer, I may not even pick it up to begin with.

Not "apparently"

that is rumors and hearsay

hell he opens up the article with "yeah we heard a rumor about Resurrection Man but we were wrong"

CYpGAPn.png
    True.

But at the same time, it seems really likely. We all imagined that All Star Western and Men of War wouldn't survive more than 6 issues.

The real question is, if this rumor is true, what are the other books? What would you guess up for the chopping block if you had to? I would imagine Mister Terrific and Voodoo.

I'm betting most books survive till issue 12 at earliest

I, Vampire, All-Star Western and Men of War might go earlier but I'd be surprised.

CYpGAPn.png
    http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/09/19/j-t-krul-off-green-arrow-keith-giffen-on/

Newsarama has confirmed that Giffen and Jurgens are the new permanent creative team on Green Arrow.

I'll probably add Green Arrow to my pull then. Maybe even the next two Krul issues.

That is pretty great news

I would advise against the Krul issues since it has him fighting "THE JERSEY SHORE OF SUPERVILLAINS"

CYpGAPn.png
  • JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    I think it's funny that we're talking about creative changes to books that haven't even started yet.

That Hawkman #4 cover is crazy.