As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: September's thread is done, go to the new one

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
Hi! Welcome to the video game industry thread. Here we discuss things like sales figures, game development, studio closures, executive quotes, marketing and general business stuff. Also poop jokes. And frequent references to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCZ07hwoZ4

And now, September's information.
5-week tracking month; Reporting Period 8/28/11 through 10/1/11

Software (New physical retail only, across all platforms including PC)
01. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)** Electronic Arts
02. Gears of War 3 (360)** Microsoft (Corp)
03. Dead Island (360, PS3, PC) Deep Silver
04. FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, 3DS) Electronic Arts
05. NHL 12 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
06. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)** Square Enix Inc
07. Resistance 3 (PS3) Sony (Corp)
08. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, 3DS, PS3, PSP, PC) LucasArts
09. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
10. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (360, PS3, PC) THQ

**(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Xbox 360 -- 438,000
3DS -- 260,000
Wii- 240,000
Playstation 3: 364K-374K (Calculations deduced from Sony and MS PR percentages)
Nintendo DS: 145K

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Well, there's Metroid Other M, which got a 79 on Metacritic but STILL induces vein-popping rage among fans whenever it's mentioned. Hell, I'll be shocked if this thread doesn't get more bitching simply by bringing up Secretary in Space.

Some fans, others not so much so. I say this as a Metroid layperson/nonfan. 79 sounds about right to me--or at least, the people I know around me.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So some guy from Joystiq posted this:
    "At the end of developing Bionic Commando, things got really messed up between the two companies," Mega Man creator and former global head of production at Capcom Keiji Inafune told me in an interview this week. Sitting in a quiet corner of Tokyo Game Show's business area, Inafune was addressing the retail version of BC developed by the now shuttered studio Grin -- a game that helped nail the coffin shut on the Swedish dev house, and scared Capcom off of its big third-party push. In case you weren't aware, at the end of BC's main campaign, it's revealed that the protagonist's bionic arm is, at least partially, made from his dead wife. Seriously.

"I don't even know what happened there," Inafune lamented. The project was apparently rife with development issues, which Inafune exemplified with a phrase that represented the attitude Grin and Capcom had for each other at the time: "Whatever, do what you want, I don't care."

Though he couldn't say what specifically happened to result in such a bizarre game ending, Inafune explained that the issue of foreign companies working with Japanese ones was at the heart of the situation. "At the beginning, things are very, very good between the two companies. Things get kind of weird from the middle, and it gets really bad at the end -- especially for the Japanese companies," he said of the development process.

"They should be more flexible about things," Inafune added, no doubt part of his decision to leave his long-time employer late last year. "If you don't do that, everything will become messed up from the middle. And that's the most important part. Not the beginning, but in the middle and finishing the game."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/17/inafune-messed-up-working-relationship-led-to-bionic-commando/

Good stuff, but then a day later he recognized he had more and wanted to gin up more pageviews. So there's this:
    In the latter half of 2009 and early 2010, Capcom released two major retail games in collaboration with prominent Western devs: Crimson Skies dev Airtight Games created Dark Void, and gun-for-hire Grin rebooted Bionic Commando. Those two games, however, were prominent sales flops. One even contributed to the eventual closure of Swedish dev Grin.

For its part, Capcom promptly returned to its tried and true franchises, with a lineup today featuring many more sequels than back in 2009. At the time, Mega Man co-creator Keiji Inafune was overseeing production on Capcom's retail titles, and when I spoke with him this past week at the Tokyo Game Show, I wanted to know what went wrong. Beyond sales, neither game was particularly loved by critics, especially Dark Void.

"[It's] very, very simple: The publisher was Japanese and the developer was foreign. Even inside Japan, when you work in two different companies, they always blame each other for any small mistakes, so that's pretty much what happened in those two games -- blaming each other," Inafune explained. He went on to compare those development experiences with that of Dead Rising -- a game that has since become a major franchise for Capcom, not to mention a commercial success.

"When I was making Dead Rising, I told my staff, 'Don't ever blame the other guys. Do your best, and just keep doing your work,'" Inafune said. But since he left his position at Capcom late last year, he's heard that "it's getting back like before -- blaming each other," a possibility that worries him deeply.

He's hopeful that another Capcom staffer will pick up where he left off, leading the charge on development that he could no longer sustain. "I'm kind of hoping that someone will come forth and say, 'Okay, I'm gonna take over from here.'" Who that person is, however, remains to be seen.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/19/lets-play-the-blame-game-inafune-on-what-went-wrong-with-capco/

Hooray for no one learning from their mistakes! Also this doesn't exactly raise my hopes for that DMC thing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I remember when Capcom use to be the gold standard in video gaming, they had hits after hits and could seem to do no wrong.

Now it feels like every guy in charge at Capcom got some kind of brain damage at once.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    I remember when Capcom use to be the gold standard in video gaming, they had hits after hits and could seem to do no wrong.

Now it feels like every guy in charge at Capcom got some kind of brain damage at once.

I feel like they're still pretty much gold standard. Everyone still drools over all their games.

Street Fighter 4 on each of its platforms, despite some fan bitching, is still widely enjoyed. RE and Monster Hunter on 3DS pushing some pretty good graphics on the thing, and Marvel vs. Capcom at Vita launch (and assuredly MH coming later too).

They make missteps but they're still massively popular and put out great games when all is said and done.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Well, there's Metroid Other M, which got a 79 on Metacritic but STILL induces vein-popping rage among fans whenever it's mentioned. Hell, I'll be shocked if this thread doesn't get more bitching simply by bringing up Secretary in Space.

Some fans, others not so much so. I say this as a Metroid layperson/nonfan. 79 sounds about right to me--or at least, the people I know around me.

Looking at metacritic, CODblops seems to be around the low-ish 80s too, and we all saw how well that did sales wise

steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Inafune talks a good talk sometimes, but I feel like he has this weird idealized view of Western devs, like it's some sort of development utopia.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Inafune talks a good talk sometimes, but I feel like he has this weird idealized view of Western devs, like it's some sort of development utopia.

It is!*

*For indie devs.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/19/crytek-developers-very-happy-with-hd-wii-u/
    The success of Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U really hinges on how many third-party developers jump in bed with the new console. At this stage, it looks like you can consider Crytek already lining up for the fan-club, with developers reportedly “very happy” with what the hardware can do.

Even though the Crysis developer hasn’t yet announced any plans for projects involving the new machine, company founder Avni Yerli gushed about what it was capable of, in a recent interview with GamesIndustry.

“Our guys in Nottingham they are very happy with their tests on the dev kits and they’re excited about it,” he says, also explaining that the new hardware provides a “challenge” for designers. “Once thought through it can add value, and that’s what ultimately important.”

I wouldn’t go jumping to the conclusion that this means Crysis 3 will be definitely arrive on the Wii U – but when a developer like Crytek’s behind your brand, you’re probably doing something right.

A positive article about the Wii U and Crytek happy with it themselves?! I think I need to sit down.....

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

It is!*

*For indie devs.
    Or compared to Capcom...

steam_sig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-19-resident-evil-4-hd-review

We already knew it was coming, but damn-it Capcom... I guess;

residentevil4_conceptart_WVepg.jpg
    I'll buy it at a low price.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Huh, I thought they already whored it out years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Shouldn't the OP include the Japan Media-Create sales?

wVEsyIc.png
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Looking at metacritic, CODblops seems to be around the low-ish 80s too, and we all saw how well that did sales wise

Maybe I'm being dense ... but I don't see what's wrong with that. I played Black Ops and I agree it's a good game (which is what 8/10 feels like to me). I'm not surprised at all that the sales numbers are great, and most gamers seem to be quite happy with that.

Anyway, enough with ratings/reviews, we've beaten that one to death. :)

Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Huh, I thought they already whored it out years ago.

RE4? CAPCOM?

Never!

Like EA Sports, CAPCOM has never met a platform it won't put a high selling series on. Except Xbox.

JCRooks wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Maybe I'm being dense ... but I don't see what's wrong with that. I played Black Ops and I agree it's a good game (which is what 8/10 feels like to me). I'm not surprised at all that the sales numbers are great, and most gamers seem to be quite happy with that.

Oh, I guess I was skimming to fast and the context was lost in the thread transition. Someone was asking where the high grossing, but "low rated" summer blockbuster analogue was in the game industry.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

The rage is more about the butchering of all the Metroid-related story stuff. If that garbage wasn't in there, complete with jaw-droppingly bad writing and cutscenes, I doubt the rest of the game would bother me even if it seems bizarre to have your abilities arbitrarily locked away. But with the story stuff added in, high 70s seems incredibly generous to me; however, I am admittedly harsh on games, especially when they're part of an established series with several quality titles preceding them.

As for Capcom, I can't help seeing them becoming the Activision of Japan. Yeah, they make stuff that gets sold, but they seem to have been bitten by the "make a billion sequels as often as possible" bug. Not only that, but they seem to have some irrational hatred of all the Megaman stuff despite Megaman being an iconic character. Their recent attitude towards Megaman makes no sense especially since they could probably make a killing by going through all the old Megaman games and doing HD/3D remakes.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    JCRooks wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Oh, I guess I was skimming to fast and the context was lost in the thread transition. Someone was asking where the high grossing, but "low rated" summer blockbuster analogue was in the game industry.

I think the original point was to find a game that was much worse than 'mid-80ish'. Something absolutely raked over the coals critically and still liked by the players at-large. You could probably find dozens of games that get eights and sell very well. Find one that got a four.

Well that's an entirely different issue, namely the whole 7-10 scale one. Which like rooks said was argued to death already

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Well that's an entirely different issue, namely the whole 7-10 scale one. Which like rooks said was argued to death already

True that. It really seems like any score on the 10 scale never drops below 5-6; such a pain, too, since there are tons of awesome games that get rated around 7-8 and tons of crappy ones that get around there too.

Good ol Cliffy B was talking about scores on Gears of War 3 the other day, he said he was quite happy with them (5 out of 5, 10 out of 10) except for the haters. The score he was talking about was a 7 or 8.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:

The guy just wants to get onboard with projects that have different methods of development, and he never really got the chance because Capcom has gone bonkers.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    Good ol Cliffy B was talking about scores on Gears of War 3 the other day, he said he was quite happy with them (5 out of 5, 10 out of 10) except for the haters. The score he was talking about was a 7 or 8.

I know, let's just coin the term "report card" for videogame scores and it will make sense again.

edited September 2011
    Astale wrote:
    Cade wrote:

I know, let's just coin the term "report card" for videogame scores and it will make sense again.

Only if they also instituted the bell curve. For the lulz.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    Cade wrote:

And as stated earlier, these people are "haters" because they could've literally cost Epic a couple thousand dollars, minimum. They probably did, depending on how early the review came out.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    It baffles me that stock prices can be set by a group of idiots who spend their time masquerading as writers. "Videogame Journalism" is the worst oxymoron I've ever seen.

For every one good, thorough, professional reviewer in print or online there are three retards jabbing at their drool covered keyboards or pandering to whatever developer they get the most advertising revenue from.

Only 3?

steam_sig.png
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Actually Cliffy's problem wasn't the score but the fact that they rated Gears 2 higher, and he feels that 3 is much improved over 2.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Actually Cliffy's problem wasn't the score but the fact that they rated Gears 2 higher, and he feels that 3 is much improved over 2.

Cliffy B getting worked up over a clash of opinion? Get the fuck outta town!

I love that guy for shit like this. Isn't he aware of things like Back to the Future 3 not necessarily being better than part 2?

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Look, somebody was wrong on the internet, and Cliffy took it upon himself to set things straight. Can you blame him?

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    game designer defends game against review scores, people act smug for some reason

Look, somebody was wrong on the internet, and Cliffy took it upon himself to set things straight. Can you blame him?

Didn't he justify himself once by literally saying that?

game designer defends game against review scores, people act smug for some reason

Well, you've got me there. I haven't actually looked into this case to see what his tone is. I'm basing it on past instances of him going beyond having a disagreement, which would be fine, and instead he seems to lash out.

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Henroid wrote:

Seems like something he would do, yeah. I remember when Jaffe did that, to hilarious ends.

What's the general consensus on the guy? I actually like Cliff just fine, he's always super polite and nice in interviews. He would be, though, I suppose. But I'm a pro-Pachter guy, so what the hell do I know.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Hey now, the only problem with GOW2 is that it is almost too perfect a game.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It baffles me that stock prices can be set by a group of idiots who spend their time masquerading as writers. "Videogame Journalism" is the worst oxymoron I've ever seen.

For every one good, thorough, professional reviewer in print or online there are three retards jabbing at their drool covered keyboards or pandering to whatever developer they get the most advertising revenue from.

If this is the track record, it's already better than the news media. Sounds like the game industry is in good shape! :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I really didn't buy into any great review conspiracy for games until I actually sat down and played GTA 4 (and to a lesser extent, MGS4) and then read up on the ridiculous circumstances between them and the big review houses. Shameful shit right there.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Henroid wrote:

Seems like something he would do, yeah. I remember when Jaffe did that, to hilarious ends.

What's the general consensus on the guy? I actually like Cliff just fine, he's always super polite and nice in interviews. He would be, though, I suppose. But I'm a pro-Pachter guy, so what the hell do I know.

Oh shit, y'know what? I was thinking of David Jaffe. I guess I owe Cliffy B some amount of apology.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

The art stands on its own. Make it and set it free!

Sterling (one of the 8/10's) wrote a thing about it.
    http://www.gamefront.com/gears-of-war-3-perfect-review-scores-by-divine-right/
    I’ve been known for harsh review scores in the past, but eight is a great score for what I felt was a great game. Gears of War 3, to me, lacks the unique special “spark” that a title needs in order to achieve a nine or ten. It followed two excellent titles and had a lot to live up to. That it didn’t quite do so is no shameful thing — it only serves to highlight how remarkable the series has been, and how high the bar was set. I concentrated very hard on making sure that my respect and love for the game was made clear, but I felt the criticisms of its multiplayer flaws and the less satisfactory narrative campaign needed to be voiced. A fun, well-made game that has some flaws sounds like an 8/10 experience to me, if we’re going to boil down games to just their numbers.

Worse than the gamers, however, were a few comments from professional game designers. It was, of all people, David Goldfarb of DICE that called any and all reviews below a 9/10 into question. The Battlefield series lead designer seemed to believe that 8/10 reviews were entirely inconceivable, Tweeting: “8/10 for Gears 3?!” Apparently, a great game getting a great score was beyond belief. It was GEARS OF WAR 3, after all! How on Earth can something from Epic Games ever get anything below a nine or ten!? The sentiment was echoed by none other than Epic’s own Joe Graf, who responded to Goldfarb with: “A giant WTF IMO.”

Yes, the idea that Gears of War could score below a nine out of ten — a NINE OUT OF TEN — was so utterly alien to him that his only response was “what the f**k?” A giant “what the f**k?”

Finally, we have the press joining in, encouraging this idea that anything below a nine is now unacceptable for Triple-A titles. In its roundup of reviews, UK-based site Computer And Videogames wrote, “There were a phenomenal range of high scores but Destructoid and Eurogamer were two examples that broke away from the pack. They didn’t believe that Gears 3 deserved the high marks that everyone else was dishing out. Still, 8/10 isn’t bad, is it?”

According to CVG, an 8/10 now “breaks away from the pack” of high review scores, despite 80% of 100% being generally considered a very high percentage indeed. What is eight, then, if it’s not a high score? It’s certainly not a middling, average score. It’s definitely not a low one. I cannot, in even the most diseased cell of my brain, find the logic that states 8/10 isn’t high. While I enjoy CVG, I can’t help but feel dismayed that it’s actively encouraging the completely ludicrous notion that 8/10 for a major franchise’s game is somehow not a high score, when fresh IP and more obscure titles would kill for that kind of number. Hell, when I gave Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine an 8/10 earlier this month, THQ couldn’t be happier and gamers couldn’t be more encouraged. Yet, as soon as we bump up the budget and attach a bigger studio’s name, the reviewer is expected to change the game entirely.

And Cliffy's specific statement.
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/16/finishing-the-fight-cliff-bleszinski-on-gears-3-and-the-future/
    VG247: Were you pleased with the review scores this morning?

Cliff Bleszinski: Doing great, apart from a couple of haters.

VG247: And who are the haters?

Cliff: A certain gamer of the Euro.

VG247: And what was their problem with the game? I haven’t read the review.

Eurogamer: You know, I didn’t quite gather it. I don’t want to come across as defensive. How do I phrase this properly? When people rated Gear 2 higher than Gears 3, it kind of upset me because I know Gears 3 is a better game on every level.

Euro's review
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-14-gears-of-war-3-review
    And boy, does it soar. When Epic plays to its strengths Gears 3 shines, with set-pieces that blend Naughty Dog-scale widescreen awe with a violent ferocity that would make Nathan Drake faint from the shock.

And yet, and yet… Throughout this coruscating rollercoaster of action I could never quite shake the nagging sense that much of it was also a distraction from the game's limitations.

The boss battle I mentioned, beneath its gorgeous terror, is incredibly old-fashioned in the way it plays out; the scene above ground requires you effectively to be strapped in for the ride; and the siege came unstuck when I realised my distressed heroics were actually only delaying the next scripted sequence in the battle.

Later on in this game, I spy an area I want to explore and stamp over with Fenix, only for him to mutter grumpily to himself something along the lines of: "I'm not ready to do this yet." In other words, I have to go back and do things in the order the game expects me to before it will let me cut through a few fragile planks with my massive chainsaw. Oh.

It's at the (still rare, I should stress) moments like this that the bubble bursts. Fall in line with the game's rigid rules and you'll be gleefully whisked along by the majesty of it all; step out of line and the edges begin to fray.

The general sense, then, is evolution rather than revolution, with the team set on delivering the most complete Gears multiplayer experience in the final instalment of the trilogy. While there's nothing game-changing here, it's hard to find real fault with what there is. Certainly, no aspect of the game better represents that clichéd but well-meant "love letter to the fans" mentality.

They were called haters because they liked the game, but not enough to give it a 9 or 10.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.

I don't buy this as being something unique to this industry though. Isn't "journalism" in general just about always just like this? Whatever you personally follow, be it games or politics or the farming industry, you will hate the journalists that cover the things you are passionate about. All journalists are equally terrible.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Dennis Dyack is an interesting guy to hear from too.

I remember a 1UP Yours podcast that he was on in which he retold how he was defending himself and what people were saying about Too Human on GAF and some of the exchanges. Apparently after awhile he got sick of the vast majority of the posters and some of the juvenile attacks against him and just started one last thread in which he told everyone there why they weren't even worth replying to anymore (in so many words) and pointed out all of their faults. Aside from all the "one console future" nonsense I actually started to like listening to the guy after that, although he is a bit full of himself at times.

NNID: Rehab0