As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck Sheriff Joe : Birf! Edition

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
America's Favorite Sheriff has decided to go a-birfing.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/09/sheriff_joe_arpaio_assigns_cold_case_posse_to_inve.php

... I can't make this shit up, folks. Seriously - not enough drugs in the world.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The Surprise Tea Party;o) I'm loving this article.

Edit: I read the article and I still have no idea what does he actually intends to do, but my guess is - nothing.

zeeny on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    facepalm.jpg

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    You laugh at that, but I've dealt with the National Enquirer and their stories are always right down the line, believe it or not.

This article is amazing.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Nova_C wrote:
    You laugh at that, but I've dealt with the National Enquirer and their stories are always right down the line, believe it or not.

This article is amazing.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlla/national-enquirer-sarah-palin-had-fling-with-former-laker-glen-rice_b38845

EDIT: Oh damn it. This might actually be true and not very important.

I was looking for something like "Sarah Palin alien babys!"

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I bet the cold case squad just loves this. It's like a week of vacation.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    "that no law enforcement agency or other duly constituted government agency has conducted an investigation into the Obama birth certificate to determine if it is in fact an authentic copy of 1961 birth records on file for Barack Obama at the Hawaii Department of Health in Honolulu, or whether it, or they are forgeries."

You heard it hear folks, the FBI and Secret Service: not law enforcement or government agencies. Also, Joe seems to somehow think Federal investigations are in his jurisdiction.

But this article is worth it entirely because I half expected the Suprise Tea Party to be an ironic front group for internet pranksters.

• Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    And only Sherriff Joe & The Men In Black know that the tabloids are the best investigative journalism on the planet.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Surprise Tea Party!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Surprise Tea Party!

Pyscho-Tea-Party.jpg

Taking bets on whether they:

A. "Find out" Obama's birth certificate isn't real, but aren't willing to share the proof or, alternately, forged the proof themselves

B. Let this rile people up into a lather for a nice approval boost, and then never mention it again (bonus points if someone asks Joe about this later and he handwaves it away as "it's an ongoing investigation")

C. Actually find proof of a forgery (I give odds of approximately three thousand, seven hundred twenty to one)

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Oh for the love of God I think I just lost a few more brain cells. How much money is he going to spend on this?

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    I'm glad we've got our best man on the job!

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    Tach wrote:
    And only Sherriff Joe & The Men In Black know that the tabloids are the best investigative journalism on the planet.

Good to know I'm not the only one who made that connection...I guess Sheriff Joe thinks Obama's a secret Lizardman! ;p

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I could calculate the odds of Joe actually coming forward and saying the investigation concluded that Obama really is seriously an American.

The post character count limit would prohibit me from disclosing it to you, though.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    joshofalltrades, that cartoon is lol.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    This is actually pretty good for the sane among us. The birthers will get a little quieter now that someone they admire is investigating the matter, and Arpaio will have at least a small distraction from fucking up his county.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Oh great now he is going to waste tax dollars on an investigation in Hawaii. Let me guess something this "important" needs to done by him personally.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    We should write Perry and plead with him to throw his support behind Joe's investigation.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Part of me sees this as Joe re-establishing himself in the Conservative limelight. Hoping to grab a VIP nomination much?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Brb, carving crop circles around Sheriff Birf's county.

• Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    Oh, I get it.
    World Net Daily, perhaps the last bastion for birther holdouts (an article on Arpaio also touts the book "Where's The Birth Certificate?" by WND columnist Jerome Corsi), says that the "Cold Case Posse" will subsist on donations from birthers nationwide.

I gotta hand it to Sheriff Joe, that's a hell of a way to pay for your legal defense costs.

Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    i just what the i don't even

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Once more I am glad as fuck that I moved the hell out of Phoenix.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Surprise Tea Party!

It's the English version of a flashmob.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Oh great now he is going to waste tax dollars on an investigation in Hawaii. Let me guess something this "important" needs to done by him personally.

Actually that's a good point. Unless the alleged forging happened in Pima county, he has no jurisdiction. Could he get in trouble for doing this? Unless I guess he does it completely off the clock, and using his own resources.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Is it just me or can he now say any federal investigations into his activities is an attempt by the White House to prevent anyone from looking into the "truth" about the birth certificate? It won't convince the sane among us but I could see it buying him another term as Pima County sheriff.

chaosbear on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    When I read "Surprise Tea Party", I could only imagine the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition skit.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:

Actually that's a good point. Unless the alleged forging happened in Pima county, he has no jurisdiction. Could he get in trouble for doing this? Unless I guess he does it completely off the clock, and using his own resources.
    He's free to investigate whatever he wants. But I'm pretty sure any subpoenas his office issues to Hawaii government officials will be ignored.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    TNTrooper wrote:

He's free to investigate whatever he wants. But I'm pretty sure any subpoenas his office issues to Hawaii government officials will be ignored.

Why would they be ignored? What do Hawaiian government officials have to hide? Sheriff Joe just wants to get to the bottom of an issue that's already resolved and he has no jurisdiction over, is it too much to ask that they hop on a plane (at their own expense, Arizona has budget problems) to help get the truth out?

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    I just don't have the energy to keep getting outraged this moron. If idiots in Arizone keep wanting him in then let them stew in their own filth. Fuck it.

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    At this point, the only thing that I can manage to convince myself might be true is that Sheriff Joe is actually intentionally trolling the nation. Otherwise some of his claims from that article are just too crazy for him to function in society.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be). but honestly can we let the Birther thing go? I said for a while I think Obama should have released the long for certificate it shows he was born in Hawaii. Also his mother was a US citizen so he he still would have been one anyways because of that.

The Birth certificate thing is a stupid distraction and needs to stop. If Sheriff Joe wanted to do something to help stop Obama he should be raising funds for the upcoming election and campaign for a candidate he thinks can beat Obama. not going out and doing this.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be)..

This probably infuriates and confuses you, then
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/07/inside-stylish-prison-where-norways-shooter-could-be-headed/40518/

• Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    If anything I think Sheriff Joe's smart and knows he's on the way out. The feds are just going to laugh at him the moment he starts telling them what he can/cannot do. I think he just wants to stir people up at this point in hopes it just might help him remain in power by focusing people's attention away from him and towards some external made-up enemy. If it's the big bad federal government stepping on an honest Sheriff's desire for the truth! Well, that narrative could be an easy sell and might help him win another term if he sets himself up as some kind of anti-federal crusader.

On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be).

Reality check: Sheriff Joe has LESS effect on illegal immigration and crime than any other police department in the area. Actually he arguably makes crime worse by neglecting his duties to grandstand.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    TNTrooper wrote:

so police jurisdiction is irrelevant? Thought conservatives were big on wasting taxpayers money

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:
    I am not a fan of illegal immigration and I think Sheriff Joe has done a lot to deter it where he can as well as making being in prison a not so pleasant experience (and it should not be).

Reality check: Sheriff Joe has LESS effect on illegal immigration and crime than any other police department in the area. Actually he arguably makes crime worse by neglecting his duties to grandstand.

Also: the harshness of punishment has surprisingly little effect on deterrence or recidivism. Making prisons more miserable doesn't actually prevent crime.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:

Also: the harshness of punishment has surprisingly little effect on deterrence or recidivism. Making prisons more miserable doesn't actually prevent crime.

Also++: He doesn't run a prison. He runs a jail. Jail is the place that innocent people go before they stand trial and potentially get sent to prison. Why do you want innocent people to suffer unpleasant experiences due solely to accusations?

• Options
    moniker wrote:
    Also++: He doesn't run a prison. He runs a jail. Jail is the place that innocent people go before they stand trial and potentially get sent to prison. Why do you want innocent people to suffer unpleasant experiences due solely to accusations?

Right.

Didn't even think of that.

Yeah! What he said!

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    moniker wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:

Some people are also sentenced to serve time in jail, but yes, lots of folks who haven't even seen a judge go there. Including people who were arrested when someone lies to the cops and the whole thing is later thrown out...

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    dragonsama wrote:

Some people are also sentenced to serve time in jail, but yes, lots of folks who haven't even seen a judge go there. Including people who were arrested when someone lies to the cops and the whole thing is later thrown out...
    In 2010, about 61 percent of jail inmates were unconvicted and being held pending arraignment or were awaiting trial or conviction.
    [ cite ]

Some, yes, but a significant minority.

moniker on