As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kris and Scott Show, Ep.3 - Friendship: Sept. 20, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited September 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I love K&S Show, it is so incredibly excellent.

• webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    I'd clean Mike's chilli stained boat toilet, but only if I could use my own toothbrush.

No, not really.

I must say I thought the boat would be bigger.

Also, when were they allowed to put their shoes back on in the house, before sitting down for their friendship assessment? They both lose friendpoints for that.

It's dead, Jim.
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    This episode made me a bit sad. The other ones usually make me laugh, and I had a couple chuckles but the whole episode was a bit depressing to me.

• Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    Mike's a dick.

Automasig.jpg
  • AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    Oh shit! I am literally not prepared to watch this. I need to suitably gird my loins before attempting to.

WNskB.jpg
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Mike is a classy guy. I love the narratives they make in this.

• MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    I love that ending. The thinly veiled pain on Mike's face. Masterful.

Ranmasig5.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Not crazy about this one. The others had some mean spirited moments but had happy parts too. This one seemed just plain mean and not as clever.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote:
    This episode made me a bit sad. The other ones usually make me laugh, and I had a couple chuckles but the whole episode was a bit depressing to me.

How come? I was in stitches throughout.

• RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    This was hilarious - the whole bit about Kris lookin' good and such. This sort of uncomfortable humor is basically a light version of the Office or whatnot. Good stuff.

My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    You know what's worse than fiends? Family. Like when they phone when you're right in the middle of watching the Kris and Scott Show. Can't get 10 frakkin' minutes to myself goddammit.

But A+ again. (They needed a bigger boat.)

WNskB.jpg
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Another funny episode.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    "Evryday I'm hustlin"

Just walkin around with a champagne glass

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Guysmiley777Guysmiley777 Registered User regular
    Freaking hilarious!

• DextolenDextolen Registered User regular
    How can Blams make me laugh till there's tears but I only chuckle occasionally at the S&K show? It's too scripted, I guess.

Bedlam wrote:
    Not crazy about this one. The others had some mean spirited moments but had happy parts too. This one seemed just plain mean and not as clever.

Mike is a really nice guy and is known as such, so the portrayal as a rich dick is a character they built to support the Kris and Scott Narrative (which is also artificial). Did you miss the joke?

• GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    At this point, I'm assuming Mike has a boat so he can dump the corpses of the various criminals that he captures and ritually kills.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Enc wrote:
    Bedlam wrote:

Mike is a really nice guy and is known as such, so the portrayal as a rich dick is a character they built to support the Kris and Scott Narrative (which is also artificial). Did you miss the joke?

In my opinion, watching a character be mean to two other characters isn't really much of a joke.

I didn't like this one. It just made me feel awkward and sorry for Kris and Scott. I know it was all made up, but it was still uncomfortable to watch. At least in previous episodes there have been funny lines and lighthearted moments. This was just K&S being walked all over for 11 minutes while Mike bragged about how big his house was and how rich he was. Made even more uncomfortable by the fact that Mike is rich and does have a big house.

I was hoping S&K's K&S show would be more of the genuinely funny Kris and Scott banter and silliness we got in PA the series, and less of the weird hybrid situational comedy/awkward times that they've been. Guess they're just not for me! Oh well.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    But it's funny because they show at the end that Mike has everything... Except the power of friendship.

Ranmasig5.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I dunno, this show has been a lot better then I expected. Stuff like Kris flexing awkwardly is pretty good. Though nothing matches the acupuncture scene in the first episode. Kris wanting to use Scotts dick as his inception totem, and the japanese of china were amazing.

616610-1.png
    MikeRyu wrote:
    But it's funny because they show at the end that Mike has everything... Except the power of friendship.

Yep, this was the selling point. I thought it was brilliant.

But to each their own! Maybe next episode will be more to your tastes. :)

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    ...Can I like... extend?

...I like that. That's good.

• AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I loved the name of the boat.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Let's see

Ep. 1 was Family, Ep. 2 was Friendship, so... Ep. 3 is possibly Love?

Disrupter wrote:
    Though nothing matches the acupuncture scene in the first episode. Kris wanting to use Scotts dick as his inception totem, and the japanese of china were amazing.

Yes! See, that was great. That whole first episode was just them making witty banter and being hilarious friends. And then the last two episodes have basically been centered around watching people be put down and insulted and made to feel like crap, Scott's dad doing it to Scott, and now Mike doing it to both Scott and Kris.

Maybe it's just residual anger from having to put up with being on the receiving end of that kind of shit (only real, not imagined) in high school. I don't find it funny, I find it infuriating. It just makes me want to punch the in-episode Mike character in the face so he'll stop being such a dick.

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I felt a bit of the discomfort you guys talk about when I watched the previous episode, but this time around I'm not sure if I was ready for it or if it just didn't bother me for some other reason, but it was just pure bliss from beginning to end. I laughed so much, and I couldn't be happier that Kris & Scott fleeced enough people to get this going. I wish it were every other Tuesday of the month every Tuesday of the month.

• DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    Oh shit new Kris and Scott yesssss

• teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    Dextolen wrote:
    How can Blams make me laugh till there's tears but I only chuckle occasionally at the S&K show? It's too scripted, I guess.

Just an FYI, at the Blamimation Live! panel at PAX, Mike said that it was easier to do this than the Blamimation specifically because it was not scripted. They just asked him to be a dick which he had an easier time improving, as opposed to the Blamimations where they gave him specific lines on a script to read.

Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    This was hilarious. Also, I am super baffled by the people that thought this was mean spirited -- Mike is good friends with Scott and Kris in real life and they are just dicking around

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Mike's kid was a great cameo... lol.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Igort wrote:
    zepherin wrote:

How come? I was in stitches throughout.
    I don't know. I understand that it was part of the continuity and script and Mike was a chill dude when I got a minute to talk to him at PAX, but even knowing that it was hyperbole and the point was to show Mike as he wasn't it just felt mean spirited.

This was hilarious. Also, I am super baffled by the people that thought this was mean spirited -- Mike is good friends with Scott and Kris in real life and they are just dicking around

I still get pissed off/upset if I read a fictional novel containing fictional characters in which one person disparages the other, treating them like shit. This was no different. I know Mike's not a dick to Scott and Kris in real life.

I guess I'm just too overly empathetic for this kind of humor.

• DextolenDextolen Registered User regular
    ...I am super baffled by the people that thought this was mean spirited...

Nobody believes that Mike's like that. It just wasn't that funny. The K&S show demo they did for Kickstarter was the funniest to date.

It's frustrating because these two have a chemistry and consistantly make me laugh (in PATV, Blams, the D&D podcasts) but I've been somewhat let down by their show. I'm still eagerly waiting for each one and I am not ready to pick them apart or anything.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this episode. Given what I know about the relationship between Kris, Scott and Mike from PA: The Series, online postings, and various footage from PAX's, I was entertained by the portrayal of Mike as a wealthy asshole who is removed enough from Kris and Scott that he forgets their names, then treats them like lackeys. And Kris and Scott as guys who are easily cowed and are willing to be bossed around just so that they can be "friends" with him. Bonus points for the ending, showing Mike looking out from the balcony, his face a pained mask of the anger and grief of being rejected by Kris and Scott. It's lonely at the the top.

• KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    This has been my favorite to date. died laughing during the friendship "evaluation".

W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Mike's voice cracking when he says "Get out" at the end was incredible. This show is great

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    "Daddy, who are these poor people?"
    "Don't worry, son. They're leaving soon."

Classic.

• zombiefriendzombiefriend Registered User regular
    God, this show is just so good. I wish they'd post some gag reels, because I'm sure there's some good ones.

I love how they decided they didn't need Mike, and they had each other. Kris and Scott: cutest friends.

mmmmm
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Strange thing out of the way first: I love the music.

This is probably my favorite show on PATV right now, and I am saddened that I missed the opportunity to help kickstart it. Speaking of missed opportunities, Mike should have popped in at the end during the talking head segments, since they were still in his house.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    God, this show is just so good. I wish they'd post some gag reels, because I'm sure there's some good ones.

There are a few gag reels they've posted, but over on their donator-only site.