As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Talking about Netflix

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    $30 for basic cable. $60 for standard, if you want more than the major networks (NBC,CBS,ABC,JudgeJudy/JerrySpringer, Fox + a few others)

What? That's crazy!

OK, OK HBO: maybe I'd give you $19.99 a month for HBO Go. But that would be the very most and I'd have to think about it twice.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:
    templewulf wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    And that's just the US. Prospects for this idea get even worse once you leave the US and start having to deal with licensing and places with less or shittier internet or the like.

I'm leaving those alone, because contracts can hypothetically be worked out in some ideal scenario. Lack of broadband makes it impossible in even the rosiest predictions.

Edit: There are few first-world countries with worse connectivity than the US. Maybe Canada, but most of your frozen wastes are unpopulated anyway.

True, but how many first-world countries have as much landmass as the US?

Oh, I'm not saying there's not a reason for it. I'm just saying that the reality of the situation prevents a sizable portion of the population from participating in our grand, streaming utopia.
    It's not even an issue of landmass. Even in our major, densely populated cities, we're worse off than equivalent cities in other countries.

steam_sig.png
    Regarding Netflix's streaming catalog.
    Yeah for movies and such it isn't always great. But it's pretty good for TV, especially a lot of older stufff. And their anime collection is getting better and better. I think they must have cut a sweetheart deal with Funimation. Between that and Hulu, I wonder if that isn't why Funi is pretty much the only profitable anime company in the US. They know how to get their fans watching stuff legit.

But on a related note, if they're splitting off the streaming they damn well better increase the capabilities of it. I want to be able to switch language options or turn on subtitles on my streamed shows.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    $30 for basic cable. $60 for standard, if you want more than the major networks (NBC,CBS,ABC,JudgeJudy/JerrySpringer, Fox + a few others)

What? That's crazy!

OK, OK HBO: maybe I'd give you $19.99 a month for HBO Go. But that would be the very most and I'd have to think about it twice.

You understand that they'd never do that, right? The average cable buyer pays about $10 for HBO through their cable provider, and HBO is able to deliver all of their content strictly through the infrastructure of the cable provider that way, without any investment on their part, PLUS they're getting kickbacks from the cable company. Don't forget that HBO can also reasonably expect to get extra money off of people like you who are then forced to buy season boxes, who might not if they could get these shows on first run streaming.

What is this I don't even.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I ended up cancelling yesterday. We dropped the DVDs when the price hike happened, and their streaming only options just aren't good enough to keep us around. It's a damn shame, but I realized a while back that Netflix was way too good to last at the price they were asking. And the sad thing was that when asked as part of cancellation if I would recommend Netflix, I couldn't give them higher than a 3.

Maybe when I actually have time for movies again, if their streaming options have improved I might come back.

@Tofystedeth
    Funimation usually streams all their stuff from their own website anyway, right? I mean, I saw the entirety of FMA:Brotherhood on the Funimation site. And it seems whenever I get the urge to watch anime (which is super rare these days), it seems like everything on Netflix is dubbed.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    enc0re wrote:
    I'd probably ditch Netflix just as soon as HBO Go would take my money. How about $15 a month? Come on HBO, you know I'm not the only one.

EDIT: Oh yeah, market fragmentation it is from here on out. As can be evidenced by my post.

I thought HBO Go was free/included with the HBO subscription? Thats bullshit if its not. Especially since HBO Go is the reason I cant stream The Wire on Netflix and HBO Go isnt available to me because Time Warner Cable hasnt made a deal with HBO yet.

HBO Go is only included with an HBO subscription. I think what is being said is that $15/month would be a good value-money ratio if HBO wanted to charge for access without a subscription - a price point I agree with.

And the fact that Time Warner Cable customers still can't get it is hilarious considering who owns HBO. (hint: their initials are T.W.)

Ah. And Time Warner divulged itself of Time Warner Cable a couple years ago. It kinda sucks, but its not like Ive seen a change in quality of service or anything.

Is it odd Ive basically read this entire thread while watching stuff via Netflix streaming?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote:
    bowen wrote:

What? That's crazy!

Oh you wanted HBO? Well you need the $60 service, a $5 a month set top box ($10 if you want DVR) and then it's an extra $15 for HBO. But if you get internet, which would normally cost $40 itself, I can give you a bundle deal for $80 + $10 for HBO.

Welcome to local monopolies and what is cable TV.

What they're absolutely scared shitless by is Hulu and Netflix killing them. I'd rather pay Hulu $8 and Netflix $15 and never have to have TV service again. Fuck you guys, I'll pay for and watch what the fuck I want to watch instead of getting 18 news channels, 20 sports channels, and 42 channels that show nothing of interest. This is why cable providers are packet shaping data like this and why net neutrality is a big fucking deal. It's not to identify you on the internet, no that's a fucking red herring. It's so companies like Verizon, Time Warner, and Comcast can keep making fucking bank of the media aspect of your life, and keep killing things like netflix and hulu so you have to pay them to get your media. If it were up to them, you wouldn't even be able to download them without paying them an extra $50 a month.

If you could get cable TV and pay $5 a month per channel you want (a premium no less, it actually costs less than that, something like 30 cents a channel), you'd go for it wouldn't you? I would, because I watch like 4 channels pretty regularly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Except ESPN. ESPN costs the cable companies $3/subscriber (way more than any other channel. I don't think any of the other non-premiums top $1).

And god help you if you are, say, a bar and want to show ESPN in HD.

Tomanta on
    Oh yeah, but you still pay extra for those channels on at least my local time warner. I think digital cable includes it, but that's an extra $15 on top of the standard cable costs of $60.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I'd never even heard of Facets until someone mentioned it in this thread. They have Vanya on 42nd St! Michael Caine: Acting in Film on VHS! Sleuth!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    enc0re wrote:
    bowen wrote:

What? That's crazy!

Oh you wanted HBO? Well you need the $60 service, a $5 a month set top box ($10 if you want DVR) and then it's an extra $15 for HBO. But if you get internet, which would normally cost $40 itself, I can give you a bundle deal for $80 + $10 for HBO.

What they're absolutely scared shitless by is Hulu and Netflix killing them. I'd rather pay Hulu $8 and Netflix $15 and never have to have TV service again. Fuck you guys, I'll pay for and watch what the fuck I want to watch instead of getting 18 news channels, 20 sports channels, and 42 channels that show nothing of interest. This is why cable providers are packet shaping data like this and why net neutrality is a big fucking deal. It's not to identify you on the internet, no that's a fucking red herring. It's so companies like Verizon, Time Warner, and Comcast can keep making fucking bank of the media aspect of your life, and keep killing things like netflix and hulu so you have to pay them to get your media. If it were up to them, you wouldn't even be able to download them without paying them an extra $50 a month.

If you could get cable TV and pay $5 a month per channel you want (a premium no less, it actually costs less than that, something like 30 cents a channel), you'd go for it wouldn't you? I would, because I watch like 4 channels pretty regularly.

The kinda worrying thing is that, unlike the music industry, hollywood and the TV industry and the like don't seem stupid. They are all over this shit, keeping control of the situation.

• King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    After the price I hike I stuck around but now I think I'll just stick to Redbox. I think I would just get streaming if their selection wasn't garbage.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Ha. I just got a "Come Home to Netflix" email today. I open it, if only to see if they're offering some kind of promotional deal to get me back.

Nope. Just the same old streaming for $7.99. But boy do they talk it up. The same service, at the same price, that I decided I no longer wanted.

Funny part? I cancelled my account fucking yesterday.

Seriously, I'm starting to think this company may be run by fucking monkeys.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    "Come home to Netflix ... or else."

And there's an image of a bloody baseball bat in the e-mail.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    We all saw where Netflix stock took a huge hit today, right?

And where the CEO apologized for the shitty PR job they did (and continue to do) with Qwickster and the separation of streaming from physical?

And where Netflix, as of yesterday, has seen its stock value cut in half since July?

I'm sure the next stockholders' meeting is gonna be both warm and fuzzy.

edited September 2011
    bowen wrote:

No. I don't like watching commercials. I only want Pay TV. On my computer please. So far, it's Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes for me. I hope to fucking god iTunes comes out with a subscription TV deal or HBO Go serves my entertainment desires.

enc0re on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    enc0re wrote:
    bowen wrote:

No. I don't like watching commercials. I only want Pay TV. On my computer please. So far, it's Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes for me. I hope to fucking god iTunes comes out with a subscription TV deal or HBO Go serves my entertainment desires.

There have been rumors about that ever since they stopped their per-episode rentals. There's speculation they shut it down to prepare for some TV subscription service, but it is (as I said) speculation and rumors.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    Being able to still watch shitloads of TV streaming and piles of movies is definitely still worth 9 bucks a month. Considering they even get royalty rights from time to time to do things like being able to stream all the Bond movies this month, there's a fair amount of new programming. I get why this whole split up is stupid, but it's hard to say I'd leave Netflix anytime soon, given that if I don't have TV Netflix is well worth the price of admission.

Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
    Delzhand wrote:
    I ended up cancelling yesterday. We dropped the DVDs when the price hike happened, and their streaming only options just aren't good enough to keep us around. It's a damn shame, but I realized a while back that Netflix was way too good to last at the price they were asking. And the sad thing was that when asked as part of cancellation if I would recommend Netflix, I couldn't give them higher than a 3.

Maybe when I actually have time for movies again, if their streaming options have improved I might come back.

@Tofystedeth
    Funimation usually streams all their stuff from their own website anyway, right? I mean, I saw the entirety of FMA:Brotherhood on the Funimation site. And it seems whenever I get the urge to watch anime (which is super rare these days), it seems like everything on Netflix is dubbed.
    Yeah, which is why I mentioned I'd want them to add the ability to change languages and subs in the soon to be standalone and damn well better be improved streaming service.

And yeah, Funi has all that stuff, but Netflix has most of it too and is easier to navigate. Funi uses Hulu for their back episodes, and their player for new episodes is kinda crummy sometimes.

steam_sig.png
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Dyrwen66 wrote:
    Being able to still watch shitloads of TV streaming and piles of movies is definitely still worth 9 bucks a month. Considering they even get royalty rights from time to time to do things like being able to stream all the Bond movies this month, there's a fair amount of new programming. I get why this whole split up is stupid, but it's hard to say I'd leave Netflix anytime soon, given that if I don't have TV Netflix is well worth the price of admission.

Yeah, I don't have cable and I love the TV options on Netflix. I absolutely abuse the streaming service every month.

The price change I didn't mind, the annoyance that the split will bring to my queue management is what's getting me. But, I'm not kidding myself. As long as I don't have cable, I willy gladly pay Netflix/Qwikster every month.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any comparison on Amazon's Prime instant selection versus Netflix? I know they don't drop Starz until February (unless they cave in and make a deal to keep that going), but when that rolls around I can see a large selection of things I want to watch disappear. I've browsed the 'top hits' and what not of Prime, and some of their TV, and it looks very similar. Any reason to switch out now, or ride this out till later?

(I'm also on Hulu+)

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    While I may not agree with their business decisions I still am keeping my Netflix account open because I appreciate what they're trying to do and I think this is the wave of the future. Plus sometimes I'm in the mood for some B-rated flicks. If this means in 1-2 years I can get mainstream movies on release date, or even nearly after, awesome, glad I could help.

I'm not going to be able to rent new releases at Blockbuster or any of those local shops anyways, so, it's generally the B-rated flicks I'd go there for.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I haven't had television cable in three years. I have zero need or desire for it and its price and it operating by its schedule instead of mine.

I have Netflix, Hulu+, and Crunchyroll which costs me a touch more than $30 a month. I can watch them on my computer, laptop, Android phone, or (two of the three) on my HDTV through my PS3. I don't have to be home. I'm not mandated by timeslots.

I could drop one of them easily enough, but combined they're still cheaper than cable. Though if HBO went streaming I'd be all over that and replace one of them.

Even with theNerflix price hike it's still better than cable IMO.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    I'd probably sign up for HBO if it was $20 a month. That's usually where the best shit is on cable anyways, I'd rather just pay the $60 and get nothing but HBO.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    enc0re wrote:
    bowen wrote:

What? That's crazy!

I'm doing this right now.

I installed a giant antenna in my attic and can pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, and PBS for FREE out of thin air. It's all digital in HD so it's just as clear a picture as I was paying for on Dish Network previously. I run DVR software to record the shows I can pick up over my antenna, and subscribe to Hulu+ and Netflix for everything else. For the other handful of shows I can't get that way, there are other sources online.

True, if my ISP ever implements hard bandwidth caps, I'm screwed.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    Beltaine wrote:
    I installed a giant antenna in my attic and can pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, and PBS for FREE out of thin air. It's all digital in HD so it's just as clear a picture as I was paying for on Dish Network previously. I run DVR software to record the shows I can pick up over my antenna, and subscribe to Hulu+ and Netflix for everything else. For the other handful of shows I can't get that way, there are other sources online.

More clear, ironically. Over the air is uncompressed as opposed to cable and satellite.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    I'm doing this right now.

True, if my ISP ever implements hard bandwidth caps, I'm screwed.

Man. I wish I had a house so I can do this.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    I don't understand why some of you are dropping service because of this.
    "Alright, Netflix, I was okay with you jacking up the price because your service is still totally worth it, but now you're splitting the company into two different entities that, combined, give me the same service for the same price? Fuck you!"
    Maybe I'm not using Netflix in the "right way", but I don't understand the ire this move causes. Is the queue that important?

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    Maybe I'm not using Netflix in the "right way", but I don't understand the ire this move causes. Is the queue that important?

Had Netflix kept being Netflix, I'd have stuck with them out of sheer inertia. They were easy and cheap. Now that they are changing into something else, I am looking around and realizing that there are a lot more options than when I first signed up for Netflix years ago.

I've already got Amazon Prime, so I can stream through them and get free shipping on my shampoo. There is a Redbox on every corner these days, and I can reserve DVDs from them online. They even have new releases when they are released, not a month later.

I guess I should thank Netflix. Between the price hike and service change, I'm going to save money by dropping them.

Phillishere on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I've read a couple compare/contrast things for Netflix and it looks like they actually probably have the best selection still for streaming, barring some "as it happens" stuff like tv-shows. I can see people getting angry and shopping around, but I can also see people going back to them after they explore other options. Or saying "I hate you and am canceling" and don't actually cancel. Or come back after a month of realizing that Hulu+ has a worse selection and Amazon Prime's video options are really annoying to use (no queue! very hard to search! small selection!).

I would actually be happy using another disc-by-mail service but Facets doesn't do blu-ray. Nor does anyone else, apparently. Red Box's blu-ray selection is based entirely around new releases, and only NEW new releases at that (I've never seen an older movie that was re-released on blu-ray on a Red Box). I actually find it weird to think that someone's movie needs could be entirely met by Red Box, given the selections I've seen there, but I know my tastes are not universal.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    I don't understand why some of you are dropping service because of this.
    "Alright, Netflix, I was okay with you jacking up the price because your service is still totally worth it, but now you're splitting the company into two different entities that, combined, give me the same service for the same price? Fuck you!"

Absolutely.

For the dual source customer, it's essential to how they tend to use the service.

I don't place instant movies in my queue, or disclose movies in my queue, i place MOVIES in my queue. Then, when I want to watch something on instant, usually the first thing I do is look over that unified queue to see if anything is feel like watching is on instant, or has recently BECOME instant.

If a movie doesn't hit instant ill just get it by disc.

Now, if I use both services I can't do that. It's a pretty significant reduction in value. That, along with separate rating/recommendation databases.

Not only that, it's a reduction in value after TWO price hikes...one being nearly a doubling in price. This announcement didn't happen in a vacuum.

• DigitalDDigitalD Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be shocked if Netflix wasn't hoping someone bigger, like Comcast, just bought them out and integrated them into their existing service. Netflix doesn't have enough cash to really pay for any content, they'd have to charge so much that it wouldn't be worth it for the consumer. Better to get bought out by Comcast, Amazon, whoever and let them do the price raising.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Amazon's selection is weak, but it's about where Netflix was a year or so ago. They've got a lot of the BBC shows, indie films and documentaries I like already, so it's more about how long it will take them to build up the back catalogue. Netflix, by contrast, seems to be shedding available to stream films faster than ever. I swear that my "Saved" - i.e. no longer available - queue doubles every other week.

As for Redbox, it fills that "let's get together tonight and watch a movie!" slot that Netflix could never quite fill. And while friends and significant others will vary, I find that it's a lot easier for people to settle into agreement around the latest big DVD release than an older film.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I haven't had television cable in three years. I have zero need or desire for it and its price and it operating by its schedule instead of mine.

I have Netflix, Hulu+, and Crunchyroll which costs me a touch more than $30 a month. I can watch them on my computer, laptop, Android phone, or (two of the three) on my HDTV through my PS3. I don't have to be home. I'm not mandated by timeslots.

I could drop one of them easily enough, but combined they're still cheaper than cable. Though if HBO went streaming I'd be all over that and replace one of them.

Without cable, what have you been doing for broadband? In my area, Time Warner tacks on an extra surcharge for Internet access without a cable package. Are you just eating that extra charge, or is TWC just worse in my area than in others?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    @templewulf no they're like that in all areas. Broadband without cable is like $60 a month, with cable, you can get it down to $20 if you're good at making deals. $40 is what you get after your 1 year new member policy gets up. You can just threaten to cancel and get it for $20 again.

templewulf wrote:

Without cable, what have you been doing for broadband? In my area, Time Warner tacks on an extra surcharge for Internet access without a cable package. Are you just eating that extra charge, or is TWC just worse in my area than in others?

Technically lied. $5 basic cable (local channels only basically) still counts for the cable+internet package deal.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    @templewulf no they're like that in all areas. Broadband without cable is like $60 a month, with cable, you can get it down to $20 if you're good at making deals. $40 is what you get after your 1 year new member policy gets up. You can just threaten to cancel and get it for $20 again.

Wait, are you saying that you haggled them into giving you a 1-year contract of $40/month for Internet without cable? Because that would really change around the calculus I use for how to get my entertainment.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    We all saw where Netflix stock took a huge hit today, right?

And where the CEO apologized for the shitty PR job they did (and continue to do) with Qwickster and the separation of streaming from physical?

And where Netflix, as of yesterday, has seen its stock value cut in half since July?

I'm sure the next stockholders' meeting is gonna be both warm and fuzzy.

Regardless of anything else the price separation was dumb because of the number of people sitting on DVDs they hadn't watched since they got it in the mail 3 months ago. "Hmmm, I guess I don't really need the DVDs <cancel>". Now a completely transparent bailing out of the core model (and the DVDs are still the core model) right after a price change that most people see as a price hike and people are seeing this as Netflix spiraling down.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    templewulf wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Wait, are you saying that you haggled them into giving you a 1-year contract of $40/month for Internet without cable? Because that would really change around the calculus I use for how to get my entertainment.

Yeah, I did once. That was a pain in the ass to negotiate though, they didn't really make me sign up for a contract but I did a lot of hem and hawing about leaving because I can get $20 a month for DSL and boy do I like their service better but the price point was a bit much for me. Then I asked them if they could drop down to $40. This was waaaay back in the day with TWC though.

Ask them if they'd be able to come down to match some other service providers (DSL, FiOS, earthlink?) and see if you can't knock $20 off the price at the least. They're making huge premiums off this service so they have a lot of wiggle room in the retention department.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2011
    So, keeping up with the news of video over internet:
    Netflix has taken a few hits lately with the reaction to its plans to split its streaming and DVD business, but now it is punching back. The company signed a deal with DreamWorks which will give it access to its movies and Tv shows for streaming over the Internet during the pay-TV window. Netflix won the deal over HBO, which currently is first in line among TV networks to show DreamWorks movies.

That’s right, Netflix outbid HBO. Estimates put the Netflix deal at $30 million per DreamWorks movie, versus the $20 million per movie that HBO is currently paying.

So, pretty sweet, and they keep going after content. However that deal goes into effect in 2013, so ouchy. Meanwhile..

Amazon quietly announced a huge deal with Fox Broadcasting Company over the weekend. Posting directly on Amazon.com, CEO Jeff Bezos brought the big news to Prime subscribers who will now have unlimited access to an additional 11,000 movies and TV shows. These are huge titles, too: The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 24, Arrested Development, and The Wonder Years. Yep, you can now stream the adventurers of Kevin Arnold through Amazon’s Prime Instant Video.

But Netflix already has a lot of those, and they still haven't released a standalone app for any console. That aside, it's a sweet move.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg