As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F#$@ This Ending!

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Social Entropy++
Every story has an ending and everyone has an ending that they hate. Perhaps it's a lack of detail about what happens to the story's characters. Perhaps the writer uses a tired old cliche to get the ending they want. Maybe it's just flat-out stupid, especially with how much smarter the rest of the story was. For me there's two endings in mind, one I don't see as bad but can understand why everyone does and the other which pulls something out of nowhere that sadly taints the story on a whole. The former's the ending to Stephen King's Dark Tower series.
Yeah, I get why some people think this sucks. I don't enjoy the 'reset everything' ending much myself, especially the 'it was all a dream' variant. But not everything's reset as it shows that Roland's maybe learning something via him now possessing his friend's horn. It may take him a few tries we won't ever see but if he can fix everything to the point that maybe the others in his party don't mostly die, I can go along with it.

The other is the ending to an anime called Blue Gender, a series shown once on Adult Swim and probably for a very good reason.
That reason being the DUMB thing they tack on to the end of the series. As best as I can recall, the protagonists manage to make peace with whatever created the giant killer bugs they've been fighting the entire series and decide to settle down on Earth. But then it's like the writers felt this was too peaceful of an ending. So for no apparent reason, everyone on this giant space station where humans are living on until the bugs go away suddenly FREAK out and cause a riot. And then five seconds of rioting we see the station blow up, also for no apparent reason. It's like the writers wanted to drop some sort of 'Earth yes, technology no' message at the last minute and decided to do it in the most ass way possible!

So, what book's/movie's/TV show's ending grinds your gears?

Owenashi on

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I just hate it when a show ends mid-

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    No Country for Old Men.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh neat another spoilers argument inevitably lumbers towards us.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Battlestar Galactica
    I choose to believe that show ended after episode 13 of season 4

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    I hated the ending of The Golden Compass series. It was just soooo unfair to 12-year-old me.
    Why couldn't they be together? They had just found out they loved each other and then were forced to live the rest of their lives in separate dimensions

I mean, it was a great ending! But I was still upset.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Stephen King's The Dome wasn't that great to begin with but the resolution and ending were just garbage

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    Battlestar Galactica
    I choose to believe that show ended after episode 13 of season 4

yyyyyep

sig.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    you can just write "fuck" you know

fuck that

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    No Country for Old Men.

I don't understand the love for this movie either

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Atari Soul wrote:
    I hated the ending of The Golden Compass series. It was just soooo unfair to 12-year-old me.
    Why couldn't they be together? They had just found out they loved each other and then were forced to live the rest of their lives in separate dimensions

oh man, yeah

that one hurt

sig.png
  • Options
    End wrote:
    #pipe wrote: »
    you can just write "fuck" you know

fuck that

I simply choose to be classy and give barely-used keys on my keyboard some action.

• Options
    Stephen King's The Dome wasn't that great to begin with but the resolution and ending were just garbage

I really liked that book, but it was because of the voice and the characters more than the story

and yeah the ending is pretty ridiculous.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Remember when The Lovely Bones came out and got reallllly popular and everyone was reading it?

My mother read it and hated it, so I never bothered.

Then the movie was on TV here, and I didn't realize what I was watching at first and got kind of caught up, thinking it was a crime drama (a genre which I unabashedly love).
    Then the scenes with the dead girl in the field started happening, and then the possession/sex scene, and then the complete lack of resolution

I wanted to throw something at the TV when it was over.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011

Macera wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    No Country for Old Men.

I don't understand the love for this movie either

I liked the book more than the movie.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Tossrock wrote:
    Atari Soul wrote:

oh man, yeah

that one hurt

Thankfully I felt nothing but disdain for most of the cast by the time the books ended

• Options
    Tossrock wrote:
    Atari Soul wrote:

oh man, yeah

that one hurt

yeah this kind of wrecked my life for a couple days

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I second YaYa

Which is frustrating, because dammit, Battlestar Galactica was the first show that I actually bothered to watch every episode, and I even did it when every episode first aired

And dammit, it was almost the perfect show

I was watching the series finale on TV when it first aired, and halfway through I actually stopped myself and said, "Holy shit, I think they've did it. I think they've made the perfect TV show, beginning to end."

But then the last half of the finale aired, and when it ended I was so pissed.

I almost stopped watching TV altogether, just because of how bad that last hour was.

• Options
    Remember when The Lovely Bones came out and got reallllly popular and everyone was reading it?

Then the movie was on TV here, and I didn't realize what I was watching at first and got kind of caught up, thinking it was a crime drama (a genre which I unabashedly love).
    Then the scenes with the dead girl in the field started happening, and then the possession/sex scene, and then the complete lack of resolution

Why do I feel like that could only have been done in the worst possible way

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    There is no possible way it could happen and not be terrible

Is why

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options

Why do I feel like that could only have been done in the worst possible way

Yeah the movie is total garbage which is a real shame because the book is excellent.

The movie seriously misses the entire point. It's like it has a bunch of the same scenes from the book, but doesn't tell the same story at all.

• Options
    man, the lovely bones

that was a book

a book that i read

yep

sig.png
  • Options

I might have read the book someday, hypothetically

But my mother hating it plus that fucking movie

hrrgghhh

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    terriers had a great ending

it ruled so much

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    YaYa wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    Atari Soul wrote:

oh man, yeah

that one hurt

I was pretty upset at that. Not gonna lie.

Solar on
  • Options
    Solar wrote:
    YaYa wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    Atari Soul wrote:

oh man, yeah

that one hurt

although to be fair they could have just killed themselves

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    the ending to pretty in pink. how in the fuck does she not end up with duckie?

i'm glad john hughes got the do-over right when he wrote some kind of wonderful though

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    YaYa wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    Atari Soul wrote:

oh man, yeah

that one hurt

although to be fair they could have just killed themselves

That would probably have been even more heartbreaking to be honest. I'm a romantic at heart and it would have destroyed me.

• Options
    AGREED LOSTWORDS YES YES

DUCKIE LOVES HER

What the fuck is she doing with captain doucheypants!

(also her dress is secretly hideously ugly)

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    f*****************************************************************************k

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    B************************************************************k

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    One ending that really made me furious, simply because it hurt my heart to watch because I really got into it, felt for all of the characters, and thought they got a bad deal?

The Mist.

Holy shit, that ending was so depressing

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    AGREED LOSTWORDS YES YES

DUCKIE LOVES HER

What the fuck is she doing with captain doucheypants!

(also her dress is secretly hideously ugly)

hughes actually wrote the ending with duckie, but dumb studios made him change it basically
    Andie takes Duckie's hand and walks him on the dance floor. The crowd separates and opens a large circle. Andie and Duckie stand at the center of the floor. Andie takes Duckie in her arms. She looks at the band leader.

BAND LEADER: He turns his back to his band and they begin to play again.

DUCKIE: He's terrified.

DUCKIE:
    "I can't dance."

ANDIE:
    "Either can I."

DUCKIE:
    "Are we crazy?"

ANDIE:
    "Completely."

Andie takes a few steps and starts dancing. Dukie follows clumsily. A few steps and they get in step. They dance without shame or concert for what anybody thinks.

BLANE: He turns back to watch Andie and Duckie.

STEFF AND BENNY: They glare at the new couple. Steff can't hide the anger he feels at being undone by Duckie.

KATE: She glowers at Blane for his gesture to Duckie and Andie. He could care less.

ANDIE AND DUCKIE: The look at each other and smile. Duckie laughs. Andie squeezes him tight and lifts him off his feet.

FREEZE. MUSIC AND TITLES.

like how perfect is that?

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Welp

Now I'm sad because it could have had the perfect ending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNGIg8f-0Wc

I mean how many opportunities do you get to be with someone so adorable

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    The ending to Lost was complete butts

• Options
    One ending that really made me furious, simply because it hurt my heart to watch because I really got into it, felt for all of the characters, and thought they got a bad deal?

The Mist.

The funny thing is that Stephen King LIKED this ending.
    King said, "The ending is such a jolt—wham! It's frightening. But people who go to see a horror movie don't necessarily want to be sent out with a Pollyanna ending."

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    I read those Merlin books as a young lad and I wanted to throw the book across the room when I finished the last one

• Options
    Owenashi wrote:

The Mist.

The funny thing is that Stephen King LIKED this ending.
    King said, "The ending is such a jolt—wham! It's frightening. But people who go to see a horror movie don't necessarily want to be sent out with a Pollyanna ending."

I liked the ending, too. Hell, I loved it.

But it was a definite kick in the balls if you cared for any of the main characters at all.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Deus Ex human revolution had the shittiest endings ever.
    Which is sad because it's a very good game

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    although No Country for Old Men did have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhXJcfczNIc&feature=related

and every one of his scenes is gold