As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm less concerned about speed and more about endurance/distance, but I am training for a 50k. :P

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Right, mine were all 5k times. That's about the farthest I've run for fun/time.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote:
    Ugh. So sick right now. Totally messed up any motivation I had to exercise this week. And also its so ridiculously tempting to just eat shitloads when I have a cold.

Yeah, I woke up with a cold/sinus infection today for the first time in months. I'm going to go to the doctor later and see if I can't get some stuff for it, and then hopefully feel decent enough by tonight to make it to my yoga class at 6:30.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, so this is what wearing a large t-shirt feels like.

Hm.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    So, I didn't motivate myself to get up and go biking this morning once again. It is hard to motivate myself to do a lot of things lately, but not doing this is what makes me sad.

And in addition to biking, I'm going to start into good old pushups again. Perhaps mix some mountain climbers and planks in with that to get back the stomach that I used to be able to lift weights with.

But, I did just do a mile run with my dog. My neighborhood is wonderfully based around a large circle road that ends up being .98 miles, so it works out nicely. I did run barefoot for the first time in a long time, though and my feet are feeling it more than they ever have before D:

ETqXK.png
    Tonkka wrote:

Hm.

Good job, duder. What have you been doing?

ETqXK.png
    See futore, if you want to be exercising on the regular I am of the opinion that you have to stop looking for motivation to get out the door and just make it a rule that you do it like many other things we do daily or almost daily without getting motivated for them. Like you don't get motivated to brush your teeth, you just do it because you know you should. Since I stopped looking for motivation to go running, I'm sticking to my running schedule because it's just what I do. Yeah, I often feel really good about running after about 15 min or so but getting out the door in the first place, that shouldn't be based on motivation. It should just be something that you do whether you feel like it or not.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Futore wrote:
    Tonkka wrote:

Hm.

Good job, duder. What have you been doing?

I haven't ordered take-out in like 2 weeks.

It is my weakness.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    See futore, if you want to be exercising on the regular I am of the opinion that you have to stop looking for motivation to get out the door and just make it a rule that you do it like many other things we do daily or almost daily without getting motivated for them. Like you don't get motivated to brush your teeth, you just do it because you know you should. Since I stopped looking for motivation to go running, I'm sticking to my running schedule because it's just what I do. Yeah, I often feel really good about running after about 15 min or so but getting out the door in the first place, that shouldn't be based on motivation. It should just be something that you do whether you feel like it or not.

This, exactly. Habit is a much stronger force than motivation.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Hi 5 Eddy. It's kind of amazing how long it took me to figure out, but the whole motivation game was just giving me excuses not to run when I didn't feel like it.

Reminds me of what Gurney Halleck says in Dune. "What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises - no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset."

Except of course we're talking about exercise instead of fighting.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    what does mood have to do with mating?

or "making love", if you prefer

natek on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    whoops I have not been to the gym in like a week and have not run.

Gonna do running sooo much soon.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    natek wrote: »

I don't know about you, but I generally don't fuck out of a sense of necessity but because I feel like it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    it was a joke he was making a joke!

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    natek wrote:
    I've had a decently bad cold since sunday morning
    boo to this

BOOOOO
    I forgot how drained the sickness makes me feel

I want to just lie down and try to sleep it off, but I can't lie down because then I can't breathe.
    So I'm just sitting here and telling my body to hurry up and get the fuck over it quickly.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Ughhh yeah, I went to yoga today despite my plague

dumb call

And then the bus didn't come and there were no taxis so I just sat outside forever shivering and feeling sorry for myself

Bad Decisions Wednesday!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Ughhh yeah, I went to yoga today despite my plague

dumb call

And then the bus didn't come and there were no taxis so I just sat outside forever shivering and feeling sorry for myself

Bad Decisions Wednesday!

The thing about going out of the house when I'm ill is it makes me feel bad for infecting other people

I prefer to quarantine myself.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    pretty decent chance of thunderstorms this afternoon for my run, bummer!

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    natek wrote: »

I don't know about you, but I generally don't fuck out of a sense of necessity but because I feel like it.

speak for yourself

easysig2.jpg
    Stale is a fucking machine.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    yeah i've seen those videos too

don't get struck by lightning during your run squall

it would be a

shocking experience

o7MW8.jpg
    YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Stale is a fucking machine.

Gotta put up tape and cones around the bed so civilians don't get hurt

easysig2.jpg
    Participants have to sign a waiver and wear protective gear.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    LTM wrote:
    Right, mine were all 5k times. That's about the farthest I've run for fun/time.
    Not to be a jerk but my 5k pace is like 6:40 so yesterday's time was slow :( ha

After lifting this morning I ran what I'm assuming was a pretty slow (for myself) 3.5 miles, didn't time it since I was alone and normally I only pay attention to time when running with this guy that times us. I ran a 1.75 mile loop which is dangerous because it makes it too easy to give up halfway instead of continuing on for a second loop.

As druhim said, though, I don't worry about time all that much. Since I too am training for a 50k it's mostly about endurance for me, it's a plus though if I ran it fast because I get done quicker!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    I didn't know you're running a 50k also Beast. Awesome! When's your race?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Druhim wrote:

This is good advice. I've been kind of thinking this lately, but seeing it said by you drives home the point sense I see catch your running updates on facebook every day. Thanks

Also, I've been meaning to ask you what style of Five Fingers you have. I think I want to get some

ETqXK.png
    I'm wearing the standard Bikilas with the velcro strap. I'm planning to get a new pair next month and tried on the KomodoSport LS but I found the toes were too tight so I tried on the Bikila LS and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm getting next. I like the laces more than the velcro.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I'd recommend trying on different models of FFs until you find a pair that fits you well (also possible that none will fit you well, especially if you have odd toe lengths/widths) and go with those. Different models fit differently, so what works best for me may not be the best fit for you.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    While I like the openness of the classics and the Sprint, I'm thinking the closed models like the KSOs would just make the most sense as I'm not one to restrict myself to just running on paths. I could also definitely see myself using them on trail hikes too.

But yeah, finding a place to try them on would definitely be best. I've got very long toes...

ETqXK.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

Yeah. This is totally true.
    You force yourself to do it. The alarm goes off, you do it, even if you don't want to. I gym in the morning so most of the time I wake up not wanting to, since I'd rather be sleeping. But once you've forced yourself to get ready and get outside/into the gym, then it's easy.

Futore, I have the KSOs, I like them a lot (note, I don't run). But go try them on. Oh, also, if individual toes is a pain, I bought the Merrell Barefoot Trail Gloves, try those out too. I've gone for a few short hikes in those, could run in those too definitely.

2 things:
    1) My knee that was mistracking painfully in July now makes loud cracking sounds sometimes when I squat with over 100 lbs. It's not painful but it is worrying? But the doc said I was fine to exercise and do whatever as long as it doesn't hurt, and this doesn't hurt at all.
    2) Does anyone use Chrome and have the forums' page crash on you in some text boxes? Especially when hitting the enter key?

poo
    speaking of,

update on my feet from last night's barefoot run: I woke up with blisters on the bottoms of my toes D:

at least I'm seeing the first positive of being unemployed still in that I can stay off my feet!

ETqXK.png
    Druhim wrote:
    I'm wearing the standard Bikilas with the velcro strap. I'm planning to get a new pair next month and tried on the KomodoSport LS but I found the toes were too tight so I tried on the Bikila LS and I'm pretty sure that's what I'm getting next. I like the laces more than the velcro.
    I love my Bikila LS', they are awesome. The day after I got them I ran 11 miles, no issues switching from regular Bikilas which is always a plus.

As for the 50k, yeah I'm planning on doing the North Face one out here in NY.
    http://www2.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/races/2011/ny/index.html

Not sure when it will be next year but I'm assuming sometime around May like it was this year, so I have a lot of time to prepare. The only worry I have is that I don't have many places I can do trail running around me. If things are REALLY going well with training I may consider the 50 miler but I highly doubt that will happen.

You're out in Washington, right? So probably doing Chuckanut? I'd like to do that one someday, I have a feeling I'll move back home SOMEDAY so I may wait until then to run it.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Yes, doing the Chuckanut. My main concern is that registration last year apparently filled up in two hours, so I'm somewhat worried that I'll miss the window once registration opens.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Futore wrote:
    speaking of,

update on my feet from last night's barefoot run: I woke up with blisters on the bottoms of my toes D:

at least I'm seeing the first positive of being unemployed still in that I can stay off my feet!
    How far did you run? If it's on your toes then make sure you're not pushing off, that's usually what causes toe blisters. You should just be moving your feet underneath you sort of like a platform to keep you up but using your body lean/momentum to move you forward.

I really hope they come out with a bikila/classic hybrid....the classic open top with a bikila sole....after I got my bikilas I just couldn't even put my kso's on anymore, the sole just feels too weird, and the classics have that same sole

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    Damn. Since the North Face one includes a lot of other distances the 50k doesn't seem to fill up too fast so I should be alright.
    Good luck!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    I have a pair of KSOs and they're great! I use em for runs and trail hikes and creek walks

You can even kinda swim in them

Welp, canceled my run because it quickly became obvious my knees need more R.I.C.E. after yesterday's run.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Squall wrote:
    I have a pair of KSOs and they're great! I use em for runs and trail hikes and creek walks

You can even kinda swim in them
    I loved my KSO's until I got Bikilas, ha. Awesome though, yay five fingers!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

Yeah. This is totally true.
    You force yourself to do it. The alarm goes off, you do it, even if you don't want to. I gym in the morning so most of the time I wake up not wanting to, since I'd rather be sleeping. But once you've forced yourself to get ready and get outside/into the gym, then it's easy.

Futore, I have the KSOs, I like them a lot (note, I don't run). But go try them on. Oh, also, if individual toes is a pain, I bought the Merrell Barefoot Trail Gloves, try those out too. I've gone for a few short hikes in those, could run in those too definitely.

2 things:
    1) My knee that was mistracking painfully in July now makes loud cracking sounds sometimes when I squat with over 100 lbs. It's not painful but it is worrying? But the doc said I was fine to exercise and do whatever as long as it doesn't hurt, and this doesn't hurt at all.
    2) Does anyone use Chrome and have the forums' page crash on you in some text boxes? Especially when hitting the enter key?

if it doesn't hurt, i think you're good to go.

my ankles and knees snap, crackle, and pop usually with every step of a stair

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
This discussion has been closed.