As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How does hair coloring work? [solved]

JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
so I was thinking of going as Tony Stark for halloween. I can grow the beard, so thats not a problem, but my hair is like a medium/dark brown with natural red and blonde highlights... I guess you could call it calico? The point is, there's a lot of colors

anyway, I wanted to avoid that black hairspray because it smells bad and looks terrible, so I was thinking hair dye might be the trick

problem is, I have no idea how it works and don't want to get in over my head

suggestions, tips, etc?

Joolander on

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I have never dyed my own hair, but I know about it to an extent.

If you dye it black it will take quite a long time to wash out, there are lots of tricks to getting it to come out quicker, but it can often depend on the individual. Because your hair is relatively dark, it may take less time and also be less noticeable, but we're talking weeks I would imagine. So it depends on whether you want to have black hair for a few weeks, it might not look too odd with your hair currently being dark brown at best, but people will be able to tell. Are you okay with explaining the reason behind it?

Don't go for anything that says "long lasting!!", and you must make sure to do a colour test before you dye it all. This is because you may have an allergic reaction to it, so you will put a small amount of the dye onto your skin and wait a few hours to see if you get a reaction. The package will have instructions and recommend this and tell you how to dye your hair correctly.

I would also recommend getting someone to help, it is hard to see the back of your head and if you're going to be with it for a while then you'll want to make sure it looks decent. Avoid staining your skin around your hairline by putting Vaseline around the hairline to act as a barrier against the skin. Wear plastic gloves, these often come with the package but double check. And put plenty of time aside to do it, because you have to account for cleaning up, and getting used to it too.

Hope this is of some use.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Even "semi-permanent" black isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    All I know is it's a pain in the dick to do by yourself. If you can get a salon to do it, it's worth the $20.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote:
    All I know is it's a pain in the dick to do by yourself. If you can get a salon to do it, it's worth the $20.

Salons are $45+ for color. And that's on the very cheap end. Straight color isn't hard. Just rub vaseline along the hair line and have a friend help.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Dying your hair black is not something you go back from.
    Get a wig or Just use the spray, the smell goes away after a short while. You can also use makeup and blast it with hairspray to lock it on, but that might be more likely to melt out and run. Could try it one evening at home though.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Just pay someone to do it.

Professional salons sometimes have "model" days where their new employees need to practice on real people

Pay twenty bucks, have someone do it.

If it's just a standard full dye job then they can't possibly screw it up

I would look into that

rather than fucking with it yourself

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Salons are $45+ for color. And that's on the very cheap end. Straight color isn't hard. Just rub vaseline along the hair line and have a friend help.

Yes if you buy their dye. 2 or 3 of the supercuts around here do dying for about $25ish, though the other 5 don't, so that's hit and miss too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ok so I'm standing here in the cosmetics isle and theres this "Just for men" hair color and it says it "only targets the grey"

Does that actually mean anything, or is it just a marketing thing?

(also don't worry I'm not buying anything today)

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Dyeing your own hair is not difficult. At all. Especially if you have short(er) hair. I've found that whether your hair will take a color and how long it will hold on to it really differ person to person, so that's going to be a mystery until you get the dye in there. Fun fact: anti-dandruff shampoo kills hair dye, on skin, and in hair. So if you end up wanting the dye to go away faster, pick up some anti-dandruff shampoo. I use it occasionally when I get dye on my skin during the dyeing process as well.

If you're afraid of getting dye on your skin, like Esh said, just put some Vaseline around your hairline and on your ears. Use Q-tips for your eyebrows if you feel like doing those too (but really, black eyebrow pencil works just as well).

I'm pretty sure the "Just For Men" hair-dye is a marketing thing, unless there's less dye to account for shorter hair. I can't answer your question about the "only targets the grey" bit, although if you buy a boxed hair dye, you should be golden.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I actually went as Tony Stark for Iron Man II, so.

Here's the thing. You're going to have black hair til your hair grows out. Either that, or you're going to need to bleach it 2-3 times and then dye it back to its original colour.

So, as long as you are okay with that, accepting that your hair yes, is going to be black, then be careful what shade of black you buy.

tonystark.jpg

Because it's not really black black. You don't want a cold, blue black. You want to get a warm almost brown black.

the-avengers-central-park-filming-0903-1.jpg

Do you see the browns in there? Try to get something more dark chestnut. And it doesn't matter if it's for men or women. Don't do the dye the day before halloween though, do it a few days before, that way incase you did get any on your skin it'll be off by then. And get someone to help you.

• Options
    RDJ has dark brown hair. Not black at all. I didn't really think about it until looking at those photos. Black would just be wrong.

• Options
    hmm

you know, with the right amount of product I think I could get close enough without the dye

also its longer than I remember

yeah, gonna go au natural. thanks for the help everybody