As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disposing of old computer parts

TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
Good morning all!

I'm going to be stripping out several old pieces of my computer and replacing them tonight. What do I do with the old parts? They're still functional, just a few years old. I really don't want to throw them into the garbage.

oh h*ck
Turkson on

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    how old? Q6600 processors/mobos can be sold on ebay for a few bucks.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    If you can't sell them, there are electronic recycling places. You'd have to google for one in your area.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Robes wrote:
    how old? Q6600 processors/mobos can be sold on ebay for a few bucks.

It is a Q6600, can't remember the mobo model number. It's an ASUS. And a GT8800 graphics card.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Used Q6600s still go for over USD$100 on Ebay.

And to think MrMonroe just up and gave me his. He even paid for the postage from New York to Western Australia!

A class act, that man.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I sold my 8800GT cards (from EVGA) for between $40 and $70. However, that was back around....May?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    If you're so inclined, you could definitely find charities to donate parts to. There's plenty in australia, so I imagine the us and a has similar schemes

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I just called Goodwill and they're more than happy to take computer parts. No cash for me, but some satisfaction for being green(er) and helping out.

Thanks all for the replies!

oh h*ck
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    :^: what a classy gentleman

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Donations are a good idea, but it's handy to have spare computer parts lying around. Makes it much, much easier to figure out hardware problems when you have components you can swap in and out.

Erik