As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Yeah. If there's not any pain or loss of function, and your doctor says it's okay, I wouldn't worry. My joints make all kinds of unpleasant noises. It's just one of those things, y'know? Happens to everyone eventually.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote:
    Futore wrote:
    speaking of,

update on my feet from last night's barefoot run: I woke up with blisters on the bottoms of my toes D:

at least I'm seeing the first positive of being unemployed still in that I can stay off my feet!
    How far did you run? If it's on your toes then make sure you're not pushing off, that's usually what causes toe blisters. You should just be moving your feet underneath you sort of like a platform to keep you up but using your body lean/momentum to move you forward.

Now that I think about it, I probably was doing a push off run because I was trying to have my dad's out of shape dog keep up with me. It was only a mile and I've got a great running form down after years of athletics and trainers, but I guess that went out the window when I'm kind of doing a weird waiting back while still trying to keep pace thing.

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    Another thing that might be causing it, and a problem that I have when I try to go fully barefoot, is your foot twisting through the stride. Through some strange bit of biomechanics, my feet twist when coming off the ground at the back of the stride, even if I'm not pushing off. The first time I tried fully barefoot, I ripped all the skin off the bottom of my toes. The only way I found to fix it is to focus on not doing it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Well even with great regular running form it's not going to be the same as running barefoot. What works well shod doesn't necessarily translate to barefoot.
    But yeah, I mostly have issues if I try to run too fast because I get to the pushing off with my toes point.

I still do have some problems with too much of a forefoot strike instead of midfoot, possibly my steps are too long..either way, the joint where my toes connect to my foot, on the bottom of the middle foot that hits the ground too hard a lot and tears some skin off or on rare occasions i'll bruise it if i've been doing too much running. (i run 99% on asphalt, btw)

Point being, it takes time and I'm still working at it myself.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    I agree, the point I was making is just that even minimalist footwear doesn't directly translate to barefoot running. While you can get the general form cues down, there are a ton of naggling little details that show up without any form of protection on your feet. But I'm pretty sure we're saying the same thing.

Also, I ran slightly muddy trails this morning in my VFFs. If I hadn't just started running again, it would have been the most enjoyable thing ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, I have no interest in running completely barefoot so that doesn't matter to me at all.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    still sick
    but at least it is cloudy and cool out with a chance of rain so I don't feel too terrible about not going for a ride

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    BEAST! wrote:
    LTM wrote:
    Right, mine were all 5k times. That's about the farthest I've run for fun/time.
    Not to be a jerk but my 5k pace is like 6:40 so yesterday's time was slow :( ha

Oh yeah, no worries at all. I've fallen way off in my running ability, was sort of my point.

In HS I used to run 5k around 6:30 per mile. But yeah, this whole "getting older" thing. Then I picked up parkour for awhile and got closer to 7min, but never close to the 6min line since.

I think barefoot parkour would be sweet, but i've never found the right pair of shoes for it.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Emruggs wrote:
    I agree, the point I was making is just that even minimalist footwear doesn't directly translate to barefoot running. While you can get the general form cues down, there are a ton of naggling little details that show up without any form of protection on your feet. But I'm pretty sure we're saying the same thing.

Also, I ran slightly muddy trails this morning in my VFFs. If I hadn't just started running again, it would have been the most enjoyable thing ever.
    Oh I wasn't responding to you, whoops, was responding to Futore saying "great running form". Yes we are saying the same thing. :)

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    weather turned out alright but oh man my legs started hurting something fierce

cut my run short to two miles and i can barely move

• Options
    Hey, that's a bigass 5 now, congrats!

• Options
    thanks! one day i will be that bird

• Options
    Tickets to the Gull Show.

• Options
    holy shit

• Options
    knees feeling much better today, got in a nice 2.2 mile jog

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Do you take joint medicine at all, Dru?

I've started with the Emergen-C Joint Health, and it seems to make me recover better in the mornings. It could just be placebo for all I know, though.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    luls i've been taking glucosamine chondritin + msm because the doc told me to after my patella was mistracking in july, since that probably effed up the cartilage some

poo
  • Options
    Yeah, this is basically emergen-c packets plus G+C.

• Options
    I don't take glucosamine or chondroitin because the studies into their efficacy have shown conflicting results.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    speaking of Dru, what's your take on the barefoot running research that Daniel Lieberman's done? Peer reviews are still out on it, right? People are kind of claiming that his research process wasn't proper?

I ask you because while I've read up on it a decent amount in the last few days, your opinions on sciencey stuff are often ones I very much value and always respect

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Futore wrote: »
    speaking of Dru, what's your take on the barefoot running research that Daniel Lieberman's done? Peer reviews are still out on it, right? People are kind of claiming that his research process wasn't proper?

I ask you because while I've read up on it a decent amount in the last few days, your opinions on sciencey stuff are often ones I very much value and always respect

Thanks! My take is that he's done some very interesting research, but as he says on the front page on the Harvard barefoot running website:
    Please note that we present no data on how people should run, whether shoes cause some injuries, or whether barefoot running causes other kinds of injuries. We believe there is a strong need for controlled, prospective studies on these issues.

He's done some pretty good research into how forces are distributed in heel striking vs forefoot striking, but it's very important to keep in mind that these studied do not look at the statistical risks or benefits of long term barefoot running. Yes, it's tempting to assume that because forefoot striking seems to better distribute the forces generated when the foot strikes that this also means it's healthier/lower risk of injury. But that's an assumption. We're not talking about a simple system, and it's possible that there are complicating factors that are not being caught in his analysis.

So far, my experience running in minimalist shoes has been positive but that's not particularly compelling proof either. We really need to see some quality long term studies done on the overall effects of barefoot running on foot/leg health.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Cool cool.

Annnnnd I just came home from the mall with a pair of Bikila LS!

I'm going to do a run in them tonight, but so far from doing a real short jog at home and in the store (there is actually a mini track that goes around the store I was in), I really like them. But I'm very glad that I've already got a good running form down, as I can see how these things might hurt someone who is forced into adjusting to running on the forefoot instead of the heel.

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Cool! I strongly recommend you take it real easy at first. It'll probably take about a month before you'll be ready to run your usual distance in them. Your calves and your arches are going to get a real workout and will likely get sore very quickly if you're not careful.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I'm really having trouble losing weight the past few weeks. I've gone up and down eating crap cause I was home for family stuff and I had drinks here and there.

I'm hoping I can get back on track but I think I need to do more exercise than the 10k a day I cycle.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    You might just be plateauing with your cycling. You could either change your route/distance, or like you said, mix in something entirely different.

• Options
    Yeh there's a rowing machine at home that I can use. I just need to do what Dru says and make doing some rowing a habit.

I'm just super exhausted after work and my cycle home. I've started cycling in a higher gear now except for some hilly parts. I go back to my previous gear for that.

• Options
    Dave, how long does it take you to ride home from work?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    It takes me 15-20 minutes to do the 5k depending on traffic lights and stuff.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    That's pretty much right at the bottom threshold of how long aerobic exercise should last for you to see much cumulative benefit. If you could alter your route a bit to stretch it out to a bare minimum of 20 minutes on up to 30 minutes or so, that might help you see some real progress. Also how long have you been biking home?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Hmm about 3 months now. That's 15-20 minutes each way buts it's spread over 10 hours.

I'll have a look and see if I can change it up a bit.

• Options
    I'm not sure if you wanted to add more Dru. I'm interested in any advice you guys have on other stuff I can do outside of cycling for some exercise.

• Options
    Well, if you want a more cardio burn, then don't drop into a harder gear on your bike. Keep your cadence above 80 in an easier gear. Dropping to a slower, harder cadence becomes almost like weightlifting, in that it becomes more anaerobic.

Then you could mix in crossfit/p90x/etc type work when you get home, if you wanted. Targetting whatever areas you want to work on.

That would give you cardio and "weights", so to speak.

• Options
    I don't really know what you mean by cadence.

• Options
    No worries, its the rate at which you pedal, in rotations per minute.

Its kinda weird to really estimate, unless you have confidence in your ability to count seconds in your head while pedalling. But essentially, pushing an easier gear faster is more cardio-oriented than pushing a harder gear more slowly.

• Options
    Yeh, I went down two gears and I was more exhausted than usual in the lower gear.

• Options
    Right, the goal should be remain comfortable and on good form, while keeping a high tempo with your legs.

Its a weird balance that you sort of just have to find for yourself, but in general, like i said, try to focus on high tempo instead of pushing hard on the pedals. That will give you more of the cardio/fat-burning work instead of the strength building/leg burning workout.

• Options
    Also maybe you're just trying to go too fast on your ride home. If it's leaving you exhausted, try slowing it down and then you won't be working as hard so you should be able to maintain the effort longer without feeling so shit. Added bonus, the same distance will take longer so you'll actually get a better aerobic workout from it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    The exhaustion comes from the two big hills on the way home, going to work it's a fairly easy ride.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Need new running shoes so bad, hoping to budget a pair in come the 1st. My current set, the right heel is totally collapsed and wobbly. But since I'm a stubborn fool, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome sucks so much.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    wall balls can eat a dick.

that is all

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
This discussion has been closed.