As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Tuesday Sept. 20, 2011

2»

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    You sure do spend a lot of time carefully reading and writing detailed criticisms of a comic you've professed to not enjoy in the slightest.
    I don't have to defend my desire to express my opinion anymore than you do, kid. If you disagree with me, then disagree. Other people are doing it. But don't try to discourage me from speaking, because that's just rude. That's "I don't have a real response to the points you've made, so I'm going to try to get you to shut up."
    gaslight wrote:
    LBB
    I am hoping this means Little Bean Boss, because that's how I'm going to refer to him from here on out.

tbh, the entirety of your PA forams existence has been to pretty much write negative criticisms of this comic, dude. if this were a different crew I'd even be tempted to call shenanigans.

the tales was pretty funny this time too, and nobody got laid off!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    A well-written negative critique is more interesting than just saying "I like this" or "I don't like this" without saying why.

Ivar on
  • Options
    Human ShieldHuman Shield Registered User regular
    tbh, the entirety of your PA forams existence has been to pretty much write negative criticisms of this comic, dude.
    I don't see you harassing the people who post nothing but drooling fanboi gibberish. Why is that? Funny how people here can be as substantially vapid as they like as long as they don't suggest that the comic is in dire need of improvement. But if all it takes is a positive comment to get you off my back, fine:

I liked the first comic. It didn't try to pander to the comically immature crowd like every strip since has. There were no dick jokes, no drunk jokes, no "wimmens is dumb" or "boss is inept" jokes. I liked the fact that it was trying to tell a story rather than try to stuff a moronic rim shot in the third panel.

And honestly, I like that the main character is a manipulative, conniving dick, rather than the goody two-shoes caught up in circumstances he didn't intend to create that other people seem to think he is. He got the LBB drunk after forcing him to accept an interview, probably told about his arrest to scare the little guy, then pretty much manipulated him into offering a job he didn't have and is now making LBB fire someone from his staff just to get the position they had. Of course, liking that that's the case doesn't mean I like the character himself. I think he's a dick, and I said as much. That is in no way a criticism of the comic, although I suspect that it's not the view of him they intended to give, which is why I pointed it out.

Now are we done? Can you all stop being assholes about my right to voice a dissenting view now?

• Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    Did the guy get fired? Why does he ask "what just happened" with such a dismayed expression?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    @Human Shield: One comment about your posting nature does not harassment make. All I did in my post was point out that the majority of your posts toward the comic were negative. Nothing more, nothing less. You're not a martyr, so we don't need the persecution complex.

But since all of this is very OP if you really want to take this further just PM me or something, heh.

@Maritzac: having his boss walk up to him and ask "How about Frank?" is what made him scared/confused.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    No, Frank did not get fired. Isaac saved him by drawing attention to how badly he needs gainful employment.

And yes, LBB is Lima Bean Boss.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't have to defend my desire to express my opinion anymore than you do, kid. If you disagree with me, then disagree. Other people are doing it. But don't try to discourage me from speaking, because that's just rude. That's "I don't have a real response to the points you've made, so I'm going to try to get you to shut up."

Who's trying to get you to shut up?

I just think you've invented a world where you're the glorious defender of quality against an army of idiot fanboys and lazy cartoonists, and self-delusion is unhealthy.

• Options
    All I did in my post was point out that the majority of your posts toward the comic were negative.
    Really? The majority of my posts are negative? Well thank god for you informing me because until you and three other people said that, I was completely unaware of the nature of my own posting. THANK YOU.

Oh.... was there some point to saying that? Or do you just enjoy stating the obvious to people?

• Options
    Gaslight wrote:
    No, Frank did not get fired. Isaac saved him by drawing attention to how badly he needs gainful employment.

And yes, LBB is Lima Bean Boss.

Yes, I also liked how LBB is the one that closes that conversation instead of Isaac saying "No, not him", it shows that even though he's willing to fire somebody, he has at least... some compassion for his employees.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    The dude who ends up getting fired could write up a submission for Tales from the Trenches.

"Yeah, my boss gave me the axe to make room for his ex-con drinking buddy."

• Options
    That would make for an nice meta-moment.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    All I did in my post was point out that the majority of your posts toward the comic were negative.
    Really? The majority of my posts are negative? Well thank god for you informing me because until you and three other people said that, I was completely unaware of the nature of my own posting. THANK YOU.

Oh.... was there some point to saying that? Or do you just enjoy stating the obvious to people?

Chill out, dude.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    The dude who ends up getting fired could write up a submission for Tales from the Trenches.

"Yeah, my boss gave me the axe to make room for his ex-con drinking buddy."

When this first started, I was sort of thinking that's the direction they were gonna go. Comic-ize people's actual experiences.

They seem to be taking awhile to get there, if that's where they are heading.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

Just as a FYI, we had another user that registered solely to post how he hated every new comic. He has been banned for about two years now, short the few days that he is intermittently back for.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I apologize to the people I called a**holes. That was rude. I'm not going to be quiet about my opinion though, so please have the courtesy to not try to tell me to go away. If your only response to me is to point out my thus far negative attitude, that's not a rebuttal, and I'd appreciate it if you found something else to say. Personally, I feel like trying to get somebody to shut up because you don't like their opinion violates the "don't be a d*ck" rule under "Welcome to the Hub" http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/147302/welcome-to-the-hub.

While we're on the subject of negativity, I'd like to take a moment to point something out, if I may.

While perusing the other forums, I discovered this thread titled simply "Bitching Thread VI":http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/142612/bitching-thread-vi-a-brand-new-day-for-bitching

Bitching Thread 6? Maybe the rules in the comic book forum are different, but assuming they aren't, why is it okay for people to make SIX threads worth of complaining and criticizing someone else's writing and artwork, people who are not here to defend themselves, but for me to criticize Mike and Jerry and Scott-- three people who have access to these forums, probably read them from time to time and would be able to see what I'm saying and directly respond to it-- not okay? I mean, this is absolutely the place for me to discuss The Trenches. And my opinion is negative so far (actually, I liked today's comic, but I don't see a thread about it). But now I'm being told that because I've felt it was disappointing thus far, I might be banned. Meanwhile, SIX THREADS have been started to complain and be negative about the very same things I've been negative about, but the people they're complaining about really have no opportunity to respond! It's not like DC or Marvel or Image don't have their own forums for these people to go and voice their opinions... but they do it here, where it's safe... as lnog as they don't speak ill of the comics this forum is actually dedicated to.

God, I hope I'm not the only person who sees how ridiculous this is.

Human Shield on
  • Options
    seriously?

Tycho and Gabe don't read the forums.

• Options
    seriously?

Tycho and Gabe don't read the forums.
    If you know a better place to discuss The Trenches, by all means: I'm all eyes.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The way I see it, Human Shield, is that you stated your opinion about the comic, and someone else stated their opinion about how they don't like your opinion. Both things you're allowed to do on these forums as far as I know, but you look like a silly goose if you complain that someone is trying to censor you just because they tell you they don't like what you have to say - effectively, that's you trying to censor them.

I have a feeling the warning about banning came because you are ignored the glorious edict. But eh, what do I know.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Um...

The Bitching Thread is for bitching, that's why its there, in other sub-forum, which has different rules. If you'd been here before, that would become apparent.

Also, the reason there's such backlash is because you're an idolater coming here to smash our sacred icons, Gabe and Tycho. As a sworn member of their legion, I'm unable to process criticism presented by such enlightened individuals as yourself.

Instead, I'd prefer to martyr you on the altar of their genius.

Obviously.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote:
    I have a feeling the warning about banning came because you are ignored the glorious edict. But eh, what do I know.
    The ban warning cites someone else complaining about the comic being gone for two years. I've already been "infracted" for the a*holes comment, and apologized for that.

The difference between me asking people to not resort to "all you do is complain" and "why do you keep reading this?" and those very posts is this: They don't like what I have to say, but what I am saying is on-topic. I don't like what they have to say about what I have to say, and they are NOT staying on-topic.

*shrug*

• Options
    LTM wrote:
    The Bitching Thread is for bitching, that's why its there, in other sub-forum, which has different rules. If you'd been here before, that would become apparent.
    So what you're saying is that instead of discussing the comic here, in a forum about the comic, if I have a complaint I should go complain about it in the bitching thread where it would be welcome with open arms?

As to the rest: Your sarcasm does nothing to encourage intelligent, civil discussion. I could be rude and snide like you, but I'm not.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    As a totally bannable regular, I think it's pretty out of line for a mod to threaten to ban a user for saying he doesn't like the comic. Telling a user not to disrespect other posters, or to stay on topic, etc. Those are all good things to moderate. But simply suggesting that some opinions aren't welcome? That's ridiculous.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2011
    It's time for you all to shut up now. This thread is about the comic, not whatever glorious paranoid fantasies you have concocted for yourselves.

Tube on