As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DVD/CDRW will not read all CDs (but reads and writes DVDs fine)

AshcroftAshcroft LOLThe PayloadRegistered User regular
Well this is annoying. I've googled around, uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, tried to let Windows 7 trouble shoot it, and even tried editing the registry. But my system just acts like the drive is empty when I put some CDs in. It's fine with some CDs, but acts like others aren't even in the tray.

The drive is only a few months old, as is the system. I've ripped lots of my CDs before, and it's been mostly fine, aside from a few slow reads. Please help.

ZD98Zka.png
Ashcroft on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Hmm don't some drives have seperate lenses for CDs/DVDs? Perhaps the CD lens is dirty or on its way out the door.
    You could try cleaning it.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    Some drives can be weird like that. I remember an old dvd drive that couldn't read dual layer discs at all until I did a firmware update on it. Check around and see if you have any update for the drive itself (be careful when flashing though, since you can make it useless if the flash goes wrong.)

• Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Could you post the make and model / part number of the drive?

Some drives have trouble reading media burned by other drives. Some even recommend specific disc manufacturers.