As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions, Discussion, and Tutorials

1383940414244»

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Hey guys!
    How can I quickly convert hundreds of separate .png images with transparency into one animated gif?

• Mayday wrote:
    Hey guys!
    How can I quickly convert hundreds of separate .png images with transparency into one animated gif?

Well, if you have ImageReady (ie: you have Photoshop 5-7(?)), you can hit Import>Folder as Frames, which will look at a folder, and throw all the images in that folder into an animation timeline in order, which you can then spit out as a .gif.

I think the ImageReady functionality has been rolled into the newer versions of PS, so presumably you can do the same thing with them- I just don't know if the option to do so is in the same spot.

Yeah, I was expecting this functionality to have been preserved but no such luck, the Import menu only allows for importing frames from video files (or, ironically, animated gifs, even though THAT functionality is cleverly hidden) and I wanted to keep the transparency (my 3d program can render to .pngs but not .gifs).

I ended up using a command line program called ImageMagick- requires a bit of reading but can do pretty much every thing possible (at least when it comes to animated GIFs).

• Well (and you've already solved the problem, but FYI), the functionality is supposedly still there, it just works differently (which is how it works in Premiere and Final Cut, so the change does make a good but of sense):

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7454a.html

This might be because my PS is not "extended"
    When I use the Adobe file dialog, the option "image sequence" is there but it's greyed out, and there is no "Layer-> Video Layers" menu item.

edited September 2011
    Doubleposting is fun for the whole family.

Mayday on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    any body here use col erase pencils? is there a mechanical pencil lead similar? The col erase pencils hold a point for about 3 lines. I know pentel has a .5 blue but they only have a blue. I like to use multiple colors- roughs, refining etc.

Googling hasn't gotten me much.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    any body here use col erase pencils? is there a mechanical pencil lead similar? The col erase pencils hold a point for about 3 lines. I know pentel has a .5 blue but they only have a blue. I like to use multiple colors- roughs, refining etc.

I've found red on amazon, but just red, blue, and black.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So I'd like to get into playing around with animating. Nothing fancy. I've got easytoon and pencil and they're fun, but I'd like something to do the stuff like they do in the Blams. Is there anything freeware that can do that, or can I do it with photoshop?

Also, I've got a copy of CS5 mastersuite just sitting in a box because it's the mac version and I'm PC. (it was a gift from a very awesome friend...) do I spend $1500 on an imac (which I could definitely use, my pc is aging considerably) to use $1500 software, or do I spend $700 making a high end PC from new and existing parts and find someone to swap CS5 versions with?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular

I'm really fond of these.

Pilot also makes color leads which aren't too bad but I prefer the former.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Double your pleasure.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    So I'd like to get into playing around with animating. Nothing fancy. I've got easytoon and pencil and they're fun, but I'd like something to do the stuff like they do in the Blams. Is there anything freeware that can do that, or can I do it with photoshop?

Also, I've got a copy of CS5 mastersuite just sitting in a box because it's the mac version and I'm PC. (it was a gift from a very awesome friend...) do I spend $1500 on an imac (which I could definitely use, my pc is aging considerably) to use $1500 software, or do I spend $700 making a high end PC from new and existing parts and find someone to swap CS5 versions with?

I've been using Macs exclusively for about 6 or 7 years now. I've never once had the desire to go back to a PC. That being said, use whatever platform you prefer.

I like Mac Minis myself.

You can do simple animations in Flash. I'm guessing that's what they use for the Blams. I know Kris is very familiar with Flash.

• KernelSandersKernelSanders Registered User new member
    A year or more ago I stumbled onto a blog/forum thread that followed a guy from the beginning to the end of his art degree. He drew everyday and posted his progress throughout the week. In the beginning his work was very rough and amateur (to say the least) but by the end he was painting some pretty impressive portraits.

Does anyone remember who this was? I thought I remembered someone here at one point referencing it or the guy may have been a member here as well. I think the forum thread itself was over @ conceptart.org but can't seem to find it. google's been just as much of a dead end.

I reference it anecdotally all the time trying to encourage people who might not have the technical skills of an artist but they have the undeniable passion. It lands with less impact when it's just an anecdote and I can't give them a link that shows them the level of progress made.

Thanks in advance.

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    You are thinking of MindCandyMan/Jonathan Hardesty. Though he was never a member here.

rts on
  • KernelSandersKernelSanders Registered User new member
    You nailed it, man. Thanks a million times over.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Man, ever since I switched from my Bamboo to an Intous Ive had a mild pain in my hand. Right between my wrist and knuckles. Can you get carpal tunnel from a tablet? I basically dont use a mouse, Ive been this way for 5 years, but the pain has been there for close to a month.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can get repetitive strain injury from any frequently performed movement.

- how is your intuous set up? I found it awkward and a little painful to use mine lying flat on my desk, I glued some polystyrene blocks to one of the long edges, tilting it up, and I found that was better. I hadn't noticed a similar issue with my bamboo, probably because I was making smaller movements.
    - if the pain persists, or gets worse, definitely go see a doctor/physiotherapist asap. Carpal tunnel or RSI can cripple you for years if not properly looked after

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited October 2011
    So, apparently, the OP of this thread is over the character count of this new forum and I can't edit it to remove some of the dead links and such. I'll see if I can get this sorted out with the Vanilla devs. If I can't then we may need to find a creative solution.

[edit] Looks like I had to go with the creative solution. Tried to pull all of the posts into the new thread but that didn't work out so well. I had to split the OP into two and the second part would've wound up on page 44. No good. Brand new thread it is.

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.