As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Went hiking today. Stepped wrong on my bad knee, so coming back down was not very fun, but I did like three and a half miles total. And I saw two double rainbows and a single on the drive home, only to find that they were portents of doom. Apparently I missed the thunderstorms and most of the flooding we had down here today, so I guess I picked a good day to go hiking.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So important I had to say it three times!

Blake T on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So important I had to say it three times!

Blake T on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    what did you have to say 3 times!?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Good ol forums deleting my first post.....1

Tried pilaties for the first time this weekend. It went ok I guess? I'm either doing it wrong or already have a pretty good core strength as every time I was told that I would feel a big burn I just felt mild activation in my abs.

That was just the intro class though. See how the next lessons shape up.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Well .. progress slowed a little, but I am finally under 90kg. Currently at 89.2, as of today ...

Now my scale is also showing me body fat percentage and the water percentage. I know that 27.5% body fat is bad, but it is on the way down. But I haven't found a definitive answer as to what number is good in terms of water ... can someone point me in the right direction. One Google result told me for men 60-65% is ok, another told me 52-60% ... I am below 50% right now, if my scale is correct.

And how correct are these scales anyway?

Incredibly not accurate for bf% and water content.

Just make sure you drink around two liters a day (or do what I do and knock back five) and you will be fine.

Also how tall are you?

1.70 m ... 5'7''

Aside from the actual measurements my scale takes ... I don't know alot about the water content. I do know about the body fat, as in "everything above 24%" is bad, but the water content search gave me conflicting information. I am not obsessing about it, just wanted to know how to file that info my scale gives me.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Don't worry about water content. Drink if you're thirsty. It's not that complicated and you don't want to reduce your water content to try and lose weight because then you're not really losing healthy weight but just dehydrating yourself. You don't have to drink huge amounts of water and the nonsense about drinking eight 8 oz glasses of water a day is unscientific. Again, as long as you're not going thirsty for long periods and aren't drinking primarily sweetened drinks (not because they won't hydrate you, but just because of all the calories in that sugar), then you'll be fine.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    picked up some running pants yesterday, just in time for the weather to cool down!

how are things going in the town of Otteropoo

Going pretty well. Was supposed to run Sunday and rest Monday, but I was feeling pretty achy on Sun so I ran yesterday instead. Taking today off and then planning to run tomorrow and Thurs. Nice and cool out also, which I definitely prefer for running.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    after a month or so I am now on the third week of Couch 2 5k. I never thought I would be able to jog that long!

also I have found that Kanye is perfect for my workouts

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Hooray for running out that DOMS. My legs feel so much better now.

Went for a little over two and a half miles, too. Got almost three weeks until that 5k and I'm pretty confident I'll be able to do the whole thing without stopping to walk.

Also, I'm down four pounds since getting back on the eating right and exercising bandwagon in August, which makes fourteen pounds lost this year (with almost six months wasted for no good reason.) My target weight is within my grasp by January. So excited, y'all.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Good job Eddy!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about water content. Dehydrating yourself isn't going to make you lose weight. I find it weird that they'd even put that value on a scale, as I don't think its something easily determined by weight?

When working out heavily I try to get between 100oz and 120oz of water a day. When being lazy, about half that. That's by no means scientific, just what I've found feels good.

Target "healthy" body fat for men is said to be around 10-12% I believe, and a little higher than that in women. Again, I'm not sure how a scale is determining that value for you, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Did my first night of Capoeria Cardio and core strength. I had forgotten how much I hate core. Ugh.

Also, good job Eddy and Mysst!

LTM wrote:
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about water content. Dehydrating yourself isn't going to make you lose weight. I find it weird that they'd even put that value on a scale, as I don't think its something easily determined by weight?

When working out heavily I try to get between 100oz and 120oz of water a day. When being lazy, about half that. That's by no means scientific, just what I've found feels good.

Target "healthy" body fat for men is said to be around 10-12% I believe, and a little higher than that in women. Again, I'm not sure how a scale is determining that value for you, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Did my first night of Capoeria Cardio and core strength. I had forgotten how much I hate core. Ugh.

Also, good job Eddy and Mysst!

I am not worrying about the water content. I just want to understand the stuff. What is considered a normal number, what is too low, what is too high?

As for the "healthy" body fat ... as far as I found out on the interwebz, for a man my age (33, going on 34) "normal" would be around 18-19%. And it is actually the other way around, women have a higher percantage that is considered normal, usually 5-6% higher than for men.

Again, forget about what a normal range is. Are you thirsty? Drink some water. Not thirsty? Don't drink. It's as simple as that.

If you're doing some kind of endurance exercise like running or biking for an hour or more, then yeah hydrate early and often is a good rule of thumb. Outside of that though, just drink when you're thirsty. This is literally something so simple that a 4 year old can handle it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Right, I don't think you can even really control how much of your body is water weight. Even if you could, I think it would have more to do with your salt intake than how much you actually drink.

And it would change throughout the day as you urinate, drink, exhale, sweat. So worrying about what it is at a given time according to some machine is a waste of time unless you have some unusual condition. Your body already has a built in meter that tells you when your body needs to hydrate. It's called getting thirsty.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    currently icing my shins because whoa man they are sore somethin fierce

bought some ace bandages from the store to wrap them after

Squall, you need to post every day so we can track your progress.

No pressure.

edited September 2011
    progress today is man i think my shins feel better? definitely not gonna run, maybe a walk would be okay?

also havent weighed myself in five or six days so i guess i should do that tomorrow morning

Squall on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I need to weigh myself.

I need to get a scale.

Then I can start a spreadsheet!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    Sometimes maintaining my spreadsheets are the only reason i even exercise.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    That would probably be the case with me as well.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    tonkkabeard.xls

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    So many cells.

but what do the data points represent?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    then you can start making equations and graphs and shit.

Its an endless pit of awesome.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Someone call me every morning at 6am and tell me to go to the gym.

Otherwise I'll keep skipping days, and that's no good.

easysig2.jpg
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    but what do the data points represent?

Individual hairs and their tensile strength.

Nothing. Matters.
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    hurt my back bowling, taking the week off from lifting. still running though. still need to make more changes to my diet, though, I haven't lost any weight for a few weeks

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Stale wrote: »

if that wasn't 3 am here, I totally would

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Phewf, there's no way I'd make it to the gym before work, I hate mornings enough already

I don't have a gym to go to.

Last time I "worked out" was like... 2003?

"got swole"

Not even, it was for, like, "fitness 101" or whatever.

I did trim down a bit that quarter though.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote:

You can't set an alarm/reminder on your phone?

Usagi wrote: »
    Phewf, there's no way I'd make it to the gym before work, I hate mornings enough already

I enjoy it because it sucks so bad.

it sounds ridiculous, but the pain/discomfort reminds me I'm still alive. It's a personal thing.

easysig2.jpg
    Stale wrote:

You can't set an alarm/reminder on your phone?

I do.

and I turn it off. It's a phone. it doesn't argue.

easysig2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.