As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The place where I work burned down. And it was full of animals.

BoomerjinksBoomerjinks Denver, ColoradoRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Social Entropy++
YZ0Ar.jpg
Oh Jim Davis, you poet, you.

A few of you guys know what I do for a living, probably fewer understand what I do for a living. Earlier this year I started working for a company called All Pro Shipping. All Pro is a sub-company of the larger, and much older, Pro Exotics. Pro Exotics is the largest reptile breeding operation in Colorado. Started some 20-odd years ago by NFL linebacker Chad Brown and Robert Markland, Pro Exotics was once a small operation that grew into a retail store and finally became a private breeding facility for high-end exotic animals.

Pro Exotics specializes in ball pythons, specifically rare, high-dollar morphs ($2000+, usually).

Things like bumblebee ghosts
wOcqe.jpg

Pastels
YovXS.jpg

Coxi
R9Uls.jpg

Mandarins
SCDrq.jpg

Rhino ratsnakes
AbCeo.jpg
(my personal favorite)

INCREDIBLE pie-balds
mikzK.jpg

as well as green tree monitors
2Ml4f.jpg

Akies
sX4f2.jpg

and even goddamn Gila Monsters
9P2Rx.jpg

I'm not a HUGE fan of snakes, or at least I wasn't when I started. I know it's bigoted, but I have a hard time connecting with animals that are largely incapable of reciprocating affection. I don't blame them for being what they are, but I like animals that want to cuddle. But they are really beautiful and I've largely come around to really liking snakes and other herps.

We have two buildings, one that houses our offices and the snake facility, which contains more than 2,000 snakes at any time and another building that houses all of the lizards. The snake facility looks like this:
KNksd.jpg

Those racks house the snakes, with one snake per tub. The tubs start off small for hatchlings and get larger as the animals grow. The animals' tubs are cleaned and watered daily, with feedings once a week. It is an immense operation, the business's motto is "Quality reptiles. Period." with a self-described business goal of "no disposable animals," which contrasts vividly with a lot of pet stores that shell out green iguanas and boas willy-nilly to whatever customer that walks in the door. I had cuban tree frogs when growing up and every public pet store I'd ever seen paled in comparison to this private facility. The place is immaculate.

My job is quite unrelated to the daily ins and outs of reptile breeding. I am the entire customer service department for a website run by All Pro, called ShipYourReptiles.com. As you can EASILY imagine, reptile breeders often sell their animals online to people throughout the country. And as you can imagine, pet owners have to move, sometimes to college or to a new job or getting deployed in the military. All of these people need to move animals, so they ship them using FedEx. Now, I know this sounds like a crazy idea. I mean, who would put a kitten in a box, tape up the box, and drop it off at a FedEx Office? No one. But snakes and reptiles are different. Lizards are pretty chill when stuck in reptile bags, and snakes seriously don't give a fuck. "What's that? You want to put me in a dark, cozy container where nothing can bother me? Let's do this!"

And that's where our business comes in. Under normal circumstances, people can only ship animals through FedEx if they are a business shipping to another business. Our company has established a relationship with FedEx that provides us with unique privileges and abilities that come from specific agreements and understanding that we have with FedEx. To summarize, FedEx says, "Okay, ShipYourReptiles, you can ship live animals through us so long as:"
-all shipments are Priority Overnight
-all shipments are made Monday-Thursday to ensure packages do not get delayed over the weekend
-all shipments are in specific, pre-approved crush-proof containers
-all shipments are marked in accordance with Federal wildlife regulations

So you can go to SYR and essentially buy pre-paid postage through FedEx, and we offer a heavy volume discount, too. That's my job, helping people ship their snakes and tortoises and leopard geckos and beardies. And I love it. It's really fun, and the job is super interesting.

This morning at around 6AM I woke up with a call from my boss, hopped onto the computer and saw this:
pefire.jpg
The snake/office building was very much on fire.

Video:
http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1182406109001
emot-ohdear.png

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1183442836001
emot-ohdear.png

http://bcove.me/apyooio3
emot-saddowns.gif
Robyn, my boss, has continuously been updating the Pro Exotics Facebook page with photos.

9v2nb.jpg

joKKb.jpg

Our swamp cooler, melted.
Jb89Q.jpg

Inside, the animal racks
s4qo6.jpg

Shipping supplies (boxes) in the foreground, animals in the back.
prGrL.jpg

Vision racks, melted.
rkBjK.jpg

More of the interior
LBZUc.jpg

emot-siren.gifWe do not yet know what caused the fire, but it appears to have started in our unit.emot-siren.gif

emot-siren.gifThe building looks to be a total loss.emot-siren.gif

emot-siren.gifIt appears that ONE snake, a male boa, survived. A few ackie eggs may also be salvageableemot-siren.gif

It appears that my employment status is unchanged, as I am with ShipYourReptiles and that business is all online and "unaffected." But right now it's really all up in the air. I'm writing things because a) it's a really cool job that I love and I've wanted to share it for a while and b) because I guess I'm in shock to some degree and talking about it is cathartic. Nothing more, really. My mind keeps thinking about all the little critters in there and how horrifying it must have been, and then I am reminded of the pet store scene from Pee Wee's Big Adventure and I want to chuckle for a moment, but then the harsh reality sets back in and I feel terrible. It sucks when small businesses get kicked in the balls, and it sucks when animals suffer.

I know the whole thing is totally emot-smith.gif but writing about it has helped me relieve some stress. I think that's about it for now. Everything will be okay.

You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!
c3hBq.jpg
Check out Colorado Movie Cars! It's amazing!
Boomerjinks on

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    oh my god that's so fucking sad

jesus christ

fuck man

• Options
    maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    I hate snakes and I feel like crying. What a horrible fate :(

• Options
    TheClarksterTheClarkster Registered User regular
    You guys could've used Pee Wee's help it looks like.

Also, this is awful. :cry:

Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh jeez...

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Holy shit man. Dang :(

I <3 reptiles

/Dang/

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    That's utterly horrific. I can't imagine what it must have been like seeing that news break

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    god

those poor snakes

god this is about more than I can handle today

• Options

fuck

that is awful

oh I was almost in a multi-car highway accident on the way to work today, including a flipping SUV and stuff

but still

all them dang lizards and snakes and such :(

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Oh God

I usually never get all that emotional bout animals even Sarah Mclachlan leaves me unphased but wow I teared up

What a waste of beautiful lives

• Options

fuck

that is awful

oh I was almost in a multi-car highway accident on the way to work today, including a flipping SUV and stuff

but still

all them dang lizards and snakes and such :(

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Damn, that is terrible.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh my god.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Oh man, this is horrible.

• Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    I work with reptiles too (not as many and holy shit you had some beautiful snakes) and I feel your pain. sorry friend!

steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    I work with reptiles too (not as many and holy shit you had some beautiful snakes) and I feel your pain. sorry friend!

steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine just introduced me to his 4 week old Veiled Chameleon this past weekend so I'm all hopped up on reptile love.

Little dude's name is Google and he's gonna grow up to look like this

calyptratus.jpg

• Options
    please tell me I'm reading this wrong: your snake facility didn't have a sprinkler system?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Sad hugs from me and all my geckos :(

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Fuck man, that sucks.

All the beautiful snakes, gone.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Oh, my God. Those poor animals.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    oh my goodness :(

• Options
    BoomerjinksBoomerjinks Denver, ColoradoRegistered User regular
    This picture is worth so much to us.
    298862_252679761433756_187578557943877_631810_1842215301_n.jpg
    It's the one surviving boa being brought out.

You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!
    c3hBq.jpg
    Check out Colorado Movie Cars! It's amazing!
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    well

shit

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This is...this is awful. Sorry man. Makes me think of my old anole Thor. He was eaten by crickets that escaped his feedings and hid under his heat rock to breed.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Argghh that's shit.

A friend of mine from University (prior to me meeting him) had his house burn down with all of his snakes lizards and fish. It was a 40Watt heating lamp for one of the reptiles that got knocked over. Just makes me feel terrible thinking about it.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Fuck man, I was just reading along and kept thinking man this is bad and then those fucking photos

I lost it. This sucks so hard and I can only imagine how much harder it is for you and everyone who worked there. I know what's it's like to be really passionate about something that is also your business, your life line. I can't imagine losing all that. I'm so sorry.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    oh jesus no

fuck shit

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Oh my god no

Oh my god no

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    That is terrible news, Boomer. I'm very sorry to hear it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Aww man, so many animals lost...

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    This is the saddest thing

fuck

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I think I have to stay away from this thread or else I'll break down, barring some wonderful acts of kindness that come close to balancing out this terrible news.

But otherwise I am so so so sorry to see this loss happen Boomer :( And my heart goes out to you, those who work there, and all those poor helpless animals.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    oh nooooo! This is horrible D:

Those poor snakes and lizards...

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    oh fuck

oh my god
    this is so awful
    ive seen this places snakes online before they are fucking beautiful and they are all gone oh my god those photos
    I am crying
    this is so awful

that photo of the firemen with the boa is just
    jesus christ
    I hope some of their breeding lines survived in other peoples homes and can be rebuilt, 20 years of work, this is so sad

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This is terrible.

I don't even know what I'd do if that happened to the place I work at.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    This is horrible. I haven't had the cash to get back into the hobby in a while, but I recognize the name.

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    jesus christ this is so awful D: