As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Breakup Stories

14567810»

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    I think I posted this in the abloo bloo thread a while back, but this reminds me of any breakup I've had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEyqP0744c

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    not every high school romance is doomed, though

people change, but sometimes they change in such a way that they're still really good together

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    doesn't mean it ain't dumb in its way

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:

people change, but sometimes they change in such a way that they're still really good together

yes but only in very rare cases.
    by the time most people have graduated high school they have changed a lot since they started
    and they will change even more in the next 5-10-20-30 years
    basically relationships are very hard to work because people are not always going to stay the same

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Also I gotta say that I agree with Dru on everything he has posted in this thread

Dru let's get civil union'd

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    sorry :/
    RubberAC wrote:
    Skull Man wrote:
    yes but only in very rare cases.
    by the time most people have graduated high school they have changed a lot since they started
    and they will change even more in the next 5-10-20-30 years
    basically relationships are very hard to work because people are not always going to stay the same
    So what you're saying is that having super serious long term relationships in general is kinda dumb?

• Options
    what he's saying is that, given that relationships are difficult because people change, and that people in high school are subject to frequent, extreme change, it is foolish for those in high school to think of their relationships as being serious, long-term things

especially when it comes to things like, say, deciding where to go to school/work

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Well, I assumed if you're in a highschool relationship and you expect it to last then moving for school/work is something you think you can handle.
    And as for extreme changes in personality... hey, it's a good test! If you can make it through late teen angst together, you can make it through anything! (haha, not really, no).
    The lack of proper maturity to actually handle those changes is the actual problem here IMHO. The changes aren't bigger than, say, mid-life personality crisis, it's just that by then you know how cope with them.

• Options
    and early relationships are the proper time to learn those coping mechanisms

Sure, it might not be great to follow your six-month girlfriend across the country because you're sure she's the one. But aside from potentially life-damaging decisions, I'd say that treating relationships as serious when you're younger is crucial in developing the proper maturity for serious relationships later

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    my angle on it is that the late teens are a really big time for change and so it's TYPICALLY best to have as little as possible anchoring one to one's teenage identity

my friends that didn't make it out of our hometown or stayed with the same people are comparably much the same as they were, and not for the better

• Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote:
    Well, I assumed if you're in a highschool relationship and you expect it to last then moving for school/work is something you think you can handle.
    And as for extreme changes in personality... hey, it's a good test! If you can make it through late teen angst together, you can make it through anything! (haha, not really, no).
    The lack of proper maturity to actually handle those changes is the actual problem here IMHO. The changes aren't bigger than, say, mid-life personality crisis, it's just that by then you know how cope with them.

Eh... I don't know what you mean by the changes in personality during late adolescence / young adulthood being comparable to a midlife crisis. Developmentally speaking, the former time is pretty much solely defined as the stage when you're figuring out who you are and are undergoing massive changes in personality/identity/sense of self. You can change certain things about yourself midlife, but for the vast majority of people it's not a time of actual major personality change.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    Neurotic tics?

TP faces out. Knives are point down, spoons and forks are bowl/tines up in the dishwasher. At least two kinds of shampoo/conditioner on hand at all times.

I have more but eh, not important. What's important is that Dru humors me for the most part :)

What?

No.

Sharp sides of the knives face up.

This way the sharp side doesn't rest on anything and get infinitesimally less sharp.

• Options
    you shouldn't put your knives in the dishwasher regardless

unless you already have shitty knives, I suppose

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Usagi wrote:
    Neurotic tics?

TP faces out. Knives are point down, spoons and forks are bowl/tines up in the dishwasher. At least two kinds of shampoo/conditioner on hand at all times.

I have more but eh, not important. What's important is that Dru humors me for the most part :)

What?

No.

This way the sharp side doesn't rest on anything and get infinitesimally less sharp.

Yeah, you're making the assumption that she's talking about the sharp knives. We only hand wash those. She's talking about general purpose knives.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Usagi wrote:
    Neurotic tics?

What?

No.

Yeah, you're making the assumption that she's talking about the sharp knives. We only hand wash those. She's talking about general purpose knives.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    druhim I respect your knife etiquette

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    guys lets party

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I put my knives in the dishwasher handle up because I'm scared I'll just absent-mindedly reach at one when emptying the washer and slice my hand open. D:

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    let's fuck with knives

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I've got a handful of lube and a knife

let's make this work

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    No thanks Anti, I already saw that in Se7en and realized how bad an idea it is.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I used to stock general use silverware handles up because it seemed like a good idea to have the business end closer to the jets but I got passive-aggressive noted by a roommate and waffled on that bit of policy

because I have no conviction

• Options
    I used to stock general use silverware handles up because it seemed like a good idea to have the business end closer to the jets but I got passive-aggressive noted by a roommate and waffled on that bit of policy

• Options

• Options
    dang I finally got forum'd

I had a good run though

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    yeah rip

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I see you've played knifey-spooney before

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My only memorable breakup story is that one time I dated a certifiably batshit insane teenager and she called me at 2am one night when I was in another state and told me she loved me and she was going to kill herself that night then turned her phone off.

And I spent the rest of the night calling her local cops, school, trying to find the numbers of her parents or close friends, doing everything I could to make sure she was ok and was just being a melodramatic teenager. She was, of course.

I told her dad that he should take her to a doctor and get her some damn therapy, then I told her that I couldn't deal with her problems as well as mine and that she should call me when she realised how unfair it was what she'd done.

She did. About 18 months later. Apologised and told me life became so much easier when she accepted that she was gay. Now she's happy, successful. I talk to her on facebook now and then.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    pipe the end of that story makes me happy.

You did good, buddy.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited September 2011
    Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.