As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

500 - Internal Server Error

• colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    On topic, this new error we're getting is thrilling. I like to place bets on what's gonna happen when I click a link here. It's funstrating.

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I think Rankenphile is the embodiment of everything I hate.

"We lost the forums for a week and have worse errors."
    "MAN SHUT THE FUCK UP. GOD. YOU'RE SO RETARDED. IT'S FREE, YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE. GO DIE. JESUS CHRIST I HATE YOU."

The Muffin Man on
  • SlandererSlanderer Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    colawars wrote:
    On topic, this new error we're getting is thrilling. I like to place bets on what's gonna happen when I click a link here. It's funstrating.

Wow, on replying to this, I got a 500 - Internal Server Error in the Topic Review window.

One really just doesnt know what is gonna happen anymore.

I have a feeling one of these days I'm gonna click on a thread and end up staring at a freaking gateway to Narnia.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
    Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
    Wii Code: 1231 4448 8299 3147 ((Send me a PM and come join the party))
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    I think Rankenphile is the embodiment of everything I hate.

"We lost the forums for a week and have worse errors."
    "MAN SHUT THE FUCK UP. GOD. YOU'RE SO RETARDED. IT'S FREE, YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE. GO DIE. JESUS CHRIST I HATE YOU."

Man, I got threatened with a banning because I dared ask Alpha what the latest delay was. People in the Monkey Den are fucking tense.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2006
    I have a theory: we can fix this by sacrificing more forumers.

Bans for the ban god!

I'll start with the next person dicking around in this thread.

Echo on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm not sure if the problem is 'fixed' or what but righ tnow I haven't been getting any 500 errors for a little bit.

It is almost 1am though so I'm thinking it could be because there is such a small load on the servers.

Either way thanks for all the hard work Alpha!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I updated some things. Let me know if you guys see any Error 500's over night. I still have two tricks up my sleeve, but they get significantly messier than the current setup.

Älphämönkëy on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I haven't noticed a 500 error in HOURS. Nice. :^:

edit: also, is it possible if you could set my join date to march 13th, 2004? My join date was reset thanks to shennagins awhile ago.

Sanius on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I've had a couple in the last few minutes, but no where near what it was like.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I just got a few while trying to reply to this thread.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    We'll never be rid of these 500 server errors D:

They breed like bunnies. Exponentially.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    It's pretty bad with the 500 errors on my side here. I usually get them after 10 or so minutes on the forums.

Silpheed on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    They are still pretty bad.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SlandererSlanderer Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    They aren't as bad now. They are still popping up with basically every link, but now it takes just 1 refresh to fix them.

EDIT:

Ok it is fucking crap now.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
    Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
    Wii Code: 1231 4448 8299 3147 ((Send me a PM and come join the party))
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I am choking on 500 errors when I would usually be choking on dicks. It's all the same to me, long as I'm choking on something.

Butler on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm getting them like crazy.

Garlic Bread on
  • TheHanku6TheHanku6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I get error sieges about every five mintues.

EDIT: Now it's about every fifth click, and I have to refresh thirty times.

TheHanku6 on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2006
    I got several just now while trying to click on this thread. There's irony for you. :?

Unknown User on
  • GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Nebagram wrote:
    I got several just now while trying to click on this thread. There's irony for you. :?
    That happens to me a lot with threads about the 500's. For example, right now, the topic review below the post box has one.

GiantRobo on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Nebagram wrote:

There may be a humor to it, but I don't think it is irony.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • citriccitric Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm getting these all over the place -- more today, I think. I get them both from home (where I steal wireless and use an iBook with Safari) and on campus, using a PC and Internet Explorer. I counted that it took me 20 "refresh" clicks to get this page to load, and the "topic review" part of the message post screen is 500-erroring right now. The top-horizontal advertisement on the PA homepage failed to load just now as well.

When I hit submit I get a DNS error...

citric on
    No, we need no more tires.
  • Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Tons right now

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I got one trying to go to the actual PA site itself. Not going to the forums, the main page of the site. Crazy.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm getting them pretty bad here. They seem to only show up (west coast) in the morning, and disappear by late afternoon and evening, when load has been reduced.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm getting them randomly but pretty bad when I get them.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2006
    Firstly, thank you Alpha in general. Onward:

I haven't been keeping as much up on the situation as I could have, but I was wondering about something:

The reason we were having trouble with the 500 club in the beginning was because of a bad bit of RAM in a server. No biggie, except it couldn't be replaced because it was at a server place thousands of miles away from Alpha.

(I'm going to assume a lot during the rest of my post, so if I say something retarded just delete and forgive, please.)

So, PA is renting server action from someplace, and server action get's fucked up. Not because of Alpha being some highschool nerd who doesn't know what he's doing or from leet hackxoroz pwning the forums, no, it's a physical problem with a physical piece of hardware owned by the server renters.

This leads us on a wild madcap chase for a stable forum with Alpha probably doing a lot more work than he should have to to get us back up and running again, and even now we're still half-borked.

Anyway, PA's forum is a big forum. Big enough to probably devour some metric shitloads of bandwith, which probably isn't too terribly cheap. So, what I'm trying to say through the alcohol haze is

Why couldn't the dudes who were renting the server action to PA's forums just put some new fucking ram in and save Alpha all that trouble and us forumers the inconvenience. It seems to me that if PA itself was paying a lot of money to rent hardware, that hardware had better goddamn work.

Einhander on
  • Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    why do the servers go down for several hours at 2PM PST??? (it happened on friday and thursday if i remember correectly)...

by go down i mean it gives you a 500 error, and you can refresh it for 5 minutes, and never get to the page.

Gotcha Force on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm getting them AND the reload error again. So I'll get a page fine, then it reloads and I'm stuck on a 500 error. :(

Synthetic Orange on
    edited May 2006
    Okay, that didn't work. FastCGI on Lighttpd is just plain broken at high levels of concurrency. This saddens me, I'm stuck either writing a SCGI handler or doing a bizzare system involving having apache handle ~half the connections.

The correct way to do this is the SCGI way, the fast + easy way to do this is to introduce Apache. The apache way brings with it the possibility of lots of haneous errors and possibilities for new and exciting error 500's (yes, they are as descriptive to me in log files as they are to you on the screen). The SCGI way means I get to develop a SCGI PHP Handler in Python. If there are any python guru's out there, please let me know :wink:

The last way to deal with this is to (ugh) poll. Twice a second, connect up to the forums. If error 500 is displayed, restart the webserver process. This should be noted this is not a fix, this just minimizes the visibility of the problem.

Älphämönkëy on
  • The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I--

Ow, that post made my head hurt. I don't envy you in any way Alpha, you must be a sadist to deal with this crap and not get mad bags of cash for it. It don't mean much but thanks for what you do and drinks on me if you visit Tokyo.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • *tyler**tyler* Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Pretty much what he is trying to say is that it connects to the webserver(as you do), and if it gets a 500 error it restarts it(because something has gone wrong).

*tyler* on
    withargho6tv.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2006
    The correct way to do this is the SCGI way
    Not to butt in too much, but I strongly approve of this limed option here.

I would rather you poll during the interim while you work on the SCGI solution instead of tossing over to apache. The apache thing will almost assuredly lead to more chaos.

But nonetheless, thanks for the update.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    I haven't run into the error-that-shall-not-be-named since you have implemented the polling.

FyreWulff on
  • Lews_TherinLews_Therin Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm getting a 500 error on the main page, which is way more worrying than getting it on the forums.

Lews_Therin on
    edited May 2006
    I'm getting a 500 error on the main page, which is way more worrying than getting it on the forums.

Ditto

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2006
    Fixed 500 on mainsite

Älphämönkëy on
    edited May 2006
    Älphämönkëy on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    <3

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I just got the good ol' MySQL error, instead of the boring 500 error.

It's like old times. <3

Henroid on
    edited May 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    I just got the good ol' MySQL error, instead of the boring 500 error.

It's like old times. <3

That happened to me last night for a while.

Just_Bri_Thanks on