As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any recommendations for a PC joystick?

GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
I've been gaming on my laptop a lot, and I'm starting to worry about the wear and tear it'll put on the keys I use most (like WADS and other FPS setup standards). I'd like to invest in a nice, inexpensive PC joystick to use with the mouse, and pickings at the local Best Buy are pretty slim. Does anybody have any good picks I can look into, and where I can find them? Thanks.

Grimthwacker on

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    what kind of joystick exactly? A flight stick or a gamepad?
    and why not a cheap usb keyboard?

A good, inexpensive but sturdy flightstick is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Thrustmaster Warthog. The only sensible option.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    what kind of joystick exactly? A flight stick or a gamepad?
    and why not a cheap usb keyboard?

Well, I was looking into a gamepad, but they don't work with a lot of Steam games like TF2 and Left 4 Dead that I play (other than the XBox 360 controller, which I'd need the USB input device for, but both together run for $60). I don't really want a flightstick, just something I can use in conjunction with the mouse. Again, something not overly complicated and something that works well in replacing WADS control via the "controller" or "joystick" options in the stuff I play.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm not really sure about the using-in-conjunction-with-a-mouse bit, but a 360 pad is the way to go. You can find wired ones for under $30 easily.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    You can also find a wireless receiver for a 360 pad for under $30 as well.

It's pretty much the standard for PC controllers, as many multiplatform games support it out of the box.

A cheaper alternative is using a Bluetooth dongle and a program to hook up a wireless PS3 controller, which further allows you to "trick" the system into thinking its a 360 controller. This comes in handy for those few titles that have wonky 360 controller support like Alpha Protocol (I get analog deadzone issues where the character moves on his own).

Xpadder is also the way to go for mapping keyboard/mouse commands onto either controller. Handy for games like Mass Effect 2.

Also, fuck Bioware for not including controller support in ME2 on PC. ME3 better have it.

• Options
    Yeah, wired 360 pad is best pad.

Dunno about anything that could work with mice.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I've been gaming on my laptop a lot, and I'm starting to worry about the wear and tear it'll put on the keys I use most (like WADS and other FPS setup standards). I'd like to invest in a nice, inexpensive PC joystick to use with the mouse, and pickings at the local Best Buy are pretty slim. Does anybody have any good picks I can look into, and where I can find them? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-Programmable-Gameboard-Display/dp/B001NEK2GE/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

Joysticks? We don't need no stinking joysticks, just moar keys! Honestly, if you're just looking to save wear and tear on your keys, then here you go. A complete WASD + goodies replacement. There are other options out there if you're not a Logitech fan for some weird reason, so look around.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah, I use the Razer Nostromo. It's pretty sweet. Gives you a little stick, extra mouse wheel, and fifteen keys...more than enough for 99% of games.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This is getting extremely complicated, convoluted, and expensive. You don't need a joystick or a 360 controller or a G13 or a Nostromo or wireless receivers for a 360 controller or anything.

You need this.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    why does he need a shitty shitty keyboard
    He already has a keyboard.

camo_sig2.png