As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla] of Brass: The Devil's Train - ALL ABOARD

I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boomRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Critical Failures
At 25 minutes past the 18th hour, delegate Aldous Fresmith was informed that the ambassador from Adabage Major wished to speak with him. This news was not pleasing. Aldous had dealt with the ambassador on many occasions, and they did not see eye to eye. Adabage ideals were in some contrast to Greater Vernland’s, and only in the most radical of Westspire classrooms did they see serious discussion. Aldous had been forced to entertain these ideals many times in order to appease the Adabage ambassador, and even pretend as though they had legitimacy.

Still, Vernland could not afford to make an enemy out of Adabage Major. Their army was notorious for its standing strength, and all knew the legends of their elite soldiers’ prowess. Fear of the Djavol kept the other world powers from invading the technologically-rich empire. Every nation could replace their soldiers, but how many could reforge them?

When Aldous entered the ambassador’s office, the deacon was looking out the window. The Adabage had requested their embassy look out not over gardens and rivers but industry and cobblestone. Smoke from a great factory was clouding the sky, causing the only light of the room to be from the lamps on either wall, kept lit through a low stream of gas. It was quite atmospheric, and the light played off the brass of the ambassador’s coat well. Deacon Nikodem turned when he recognized that Aldous entered, and gestured to the chair before his desk. “Lord Fresmith,” he said without smiling, “I am glad that you were able to respond to my summons.” His hand moved to stroke his carved goatee. The light cast shadows across it that gave it an air of great depth and mystery. The ornate designs along his coat were only aided by the setting, the metal seeming to almost dance with the light.

“You know well that I am happy to serve the Adabage in any capacity here in Westspire,” Aldous responded, taking a seat as well. Though he had spoken with the ambassador many times, his eyes still found themselves wandering to the same places. The tall horns, the seemingly infinite and intricate joints that ran all along Nikodem’s custom-built body. The Djavol didn’t notice, caught for a moment in thought as he looked down at a folder on the desk. One by one his teeth pulled back into his frame and then tapped together – a sign, Aldous knew, that he was thinking.

“Tell me Aldous, what do you know of the Djavol?” he said at last, sitting as well. His accent was thick with the harsh cadence of the Djavol’s cold metal. This time, he smiled, but Aldous could see behind the curtain – he could see every intricate component click into place to let the artificial lips curve as they did.

“Your people?” Aldous asked, lightly blowing on his moustache as he thought a moment. “Well, they’re like you for starters. Adabage who have-” He paused for a second. Saying that they bought their status was probably not diplomatic. “Earned the privilege to become a part of the upper class. Their immortal soul is placed in a custom, ornate frame, and they-“

“That’s close enough, yes, close enough for what I was asking,” Nikodem stopped him, holding up a hand. “The important thing is yes, these bodies. They are…unique, yes?”

Aldous wasn’t sure what the Djavol was getting at, but he went with it. “Both in the sense of being uniquely designed and just…not what we’d expect around these parts, yes. Made in the image of your martyred god, aren’t they?”

“The Martyr, yes, yes.” Nikodem opened the file in front of him, his fingers delicately turning through the pages. “It’s a very closely guarded secret. Very important to our people. It would be…alarming, to know that such secrets had been…leaked.” He looked up at Aldous again. “Have you heard of Doctor Montgomery Jameson?”

Lord Fresmith thought for a few seconds, then shook his head. “Can’t say I have,” he replied.

“He had tenure at the Royal University in Stanton. The Djavol recently acquired some of his more recent notes. We are…alarmed at their content.” One by one, his teeth clicked together again. “Tell me then, Aldous, if you have not heard of Doctor Jameson, you surely know of the Corrigan.”
there are no dead gods

Though many in Westspire slept, the city did not. Cogs turned and steam vents exhaled. The industrial age marched forward. In a building long since abandoned – yet immaculately kept – a telegram arrived. From its device of delivery a single gloved hand plucked it, learning what it had to say over a cup of tea. The telegram traded hands many times that night, each time with the same instructions: “Give this to Passeridae’s Finest.” Westspire did not sleep, did not pause, but perhaps the city would have held its breath for just a moment had it known the contents of the telegram.

“THE ROBELSHEVIKS KNOW ABOUT THE ARTIFICIAL MEN STOP THEY KNOW BARTLEBY BROWN SURVIVED STOP”

Nation of Brass: The Devil’s Train
A pulp phalla for 25 players.

WHAT’S ALL THIS THEN
Nation of Brass: The Devil’s Train is a miniphalla. If you are unfamiliar with what a phalla is, this thread may be of assistance. This particular mini serves as a sequel of sorts to my previous game, Nation of Brass: The Artificial Men. Reading the previous thread is not required to participate in or enjoy this game, but you may appreciate the references more. Please SIGNUP! in lime green if you wish to play.

This game is structured for 25 players – no more, no less. Each of these 25 players has boarded the 8:00 Royal Estmunder Scenic to Kafskaw, departing shortly from Sparrow’s Nest Station. As with any large group of people they are sure to find each other quite annoying, and must Politely register a complaint with the conductor regarding a passenger on board each day of travel, before 8 PM Pacific. The passenger with the most complaints registered each day will find themselves stranded at the train’s particular location and unable to rejoin the proceedings.

Bartleby Brown (also known as The Choker) has boarded this train, for reasons known only to him. Vernland is determined not to let Adabage Major get their hands on the technology behind his creation, and has dispatched their finest spies – an association known only as The Suits. They will stop at nothing to get him.

This game will not last longer than 7 days. The train has 7 stops. If The Suits take custody of Bartleby Brown’s body for more than a few days they will win regardless of how many villagers remain. The village may win by eliminating all members of Westspire Intelligence or by keeping Bartleby Brown out of their hands for the entirety of the journey.

HERE ARE SOME RULES
-You may not directly quote your role PM or screen cap it or do any sort of similarly shifty thing to prove you are who you are.
-One ghost post.
-Do not speak with the dead during the game. Djavol funerary rites are very sacred to their people and you would risk a great deal of spiritual karma to disturb those who have passed on.
-Do not add other players to conversations in PMs. If you wish to have a 3 or more way conversation with someone else, start a new one.
-Add the host to PMs and proboards, and PM me any IRC/IM/etc conversations you have. I am trying something specific with narration and while I may not use the information you provide I would like to have it. I may go so far as imparting penalties if you forget to do so.
-All contact you make with other players should be traceable to you.
-Post in English.
-Make two posts and a vote each day. If you’re not very active you’ll have a hard time catching the train.
-Ask clarifications in Orange bold.
-PLEASE DO NOT EDIT VOTE POSTS!!!

LOFTY GOALS AND CHILDHOOD DREAMS
The poet Theodore Herrick once said that no man boards the Royal Estmunder without desire. Now Herrick also said that we likely descended from southern primitives but this particular statement is not without merit. All players have either a special ability or a secondary goal. Upon completing their goal they may find themselves granted a boon of some sort.

Unlike my previous game it will not be publically announced when a player completes their goal. It may, however, be hinted at in the narration. It may also not be. But there will be goals, and some players will be completing them, and things will happen – of that you can be sure.

PHRENOLOGY: THE NEW CRAZE
With His Royal Excellence and Most Glorious in Grace King Gregory Passeridae mentioning offhand that he quite liked Arthur Mancer’s cutting new theories in his book Phrenology and You: How To Improve Your Life Thanks To Childhood Concussions the science of Phrenology has taken off in Westspire, with citizens finding themselves eager to classify themselves under Mancer’s six classes of mentality.

It’s quite simple really. Some individuals are MURDERous, capable of changing lives in the most dramatic fashion. Others trend towards MERCY, compassionate souls who make a difference in the world. There are those who find themselves with a knack towards MANIPULATION, altering public opinion. In contrast, those who find themselves MINDFUL prefer knowledge and keeping the attention away from themselves. Understood by none of these are those who like MAYHEM, who find spice in chaos.

And if you’re none of those, well you’re really quite MUNDANE, aren’t you?

Mancer has many theories, but he believes that if these six people were in a room, the MERCIFUL would act first, followed by the MURDEROUS, the MANIPULATIVE, the MINDFUL, and then lastly those affectionate towards MAYHEM. The MUNDANE probably wouldn’t do anything at all.

TRAVEL GUIDE
The Royal Estmunder Scenic makes many stops during its route – thus the Scenic affectation. They encourage their passengers to go out and visit the cities they stop at, and conduct any business they may wish to perform out there. Each is lovely, and can inspire those of the right mindset.
The travel guide lists the following locations in order:
1. Stanton
2. Allegaro (+MERCY, -MANIPULATION)
3. Tardis (+MINDFUL, -MURDER)
This marks the end of Greater Vernland territory.
4. D͔̯̗̩̦é̫̱n̮̣m͏̩̹̭̼͚̭͉o̯u̲͉̠͍̝̱t̗̯h (+MAYHEM, -MINDFUL)
At this point, you enter the Eastern Mass, the beginning of Adabage territory.
5. Sandusk (+MURDER, -MERCY)
6. Mekanika (+MANIPULATION, -MAYHEM)
7. Kafskaw (+MAFIA)

The Royal Estmunder Scenic advises you to plan out how to spend your time in advance so that you do not miss the train.

liEt3nH.png
I needed anime to post. on

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    SIGNUPS:
    1. Capfalcon
    2. Peccavi
    3. Alegis
    4. Langly
    5. Flarne
    6. jdarksun
    7. schuss
    8. facetious
    9. Phyphor
    10. Egos
    11. corvidae
    12. kime
    13. Taya
    14. kuhlmeye
    15. Matev
    16. tmoiy
    17. Sir Fabulous
    18. Cayrus
    19. MrTLicious
    20. Bedlam
    21. The Anonymous
    22. stever777
    23. Cythraul
    24. SLyM
    25. MaxFrost

RESERVES:
    1. Lucedes
    2. Zandracon

Game Start

liEt3nH.png
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Punching out Nazi's on top of trains since 1981, yo.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Another Phalla of Brass? Hell yes!

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    And I thought to take a little break because I'm not as active anymore. screw that!

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yup yup yup

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    This sounds exciting. I would like to sign up.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    banana!

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I just hope you give me a secondary goal that isn't a) impossible and b) doesn't make me look super suspicious.

:P

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    facetious i don't think you need any help on that second point

liEt3nH.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    All aboard!

True. :cry:

Real strong, facetious.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    merciful manipulative murder? Signup!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yes please
    Upon completing their goal they may find themselves granted a boon of some sort.

Intriguing

I very well may steal this

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    uh, ok

Please, let me help facetious fail his secondary condition again!

PSN: the-K-flash
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Sure, sign up why not?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    Oh frabjous day. yes yes yes yes yes

kuhlmeye wrote:
    uh, ok

:x :x :x

Real strong, facetious.

Updated the OP with an additional rule when I realized that posts aren't showing edit timers. Please do not edit your vote posts once they're made - this game was not designed for people being sneaky and going back and editing their votes now that no one can tell they did it!

liEt3nH.png
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Back with a vengeance.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Back with a vengeance.

we demand your ghost pokemon sidekick return as well

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    facetious wrote:
    kuhlmeye wrote:
    uh, ok

:x :x :x

<3<3<3

PSN: the-K-flash
    Egos wrote:
    Back with a vengeance.

I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.

the fact that kuhlmeye had an additional list that this time INANTP wanted in the time travel phalla was so funny.

and right after he gave it to him, kuhlmeye died

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Are there rules about being in multiple phallas at once?

If not, I'll sign up, if only to kill kime.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
    edited September 2011
    i can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a special list that facetious needs to win the game that will cease to exist 4 hours into the game
    Cayrus wrote:
    Are there rules about being in multiple phallas at once?

If not, I'll sign up, if only to kill kime.

You can be in as many phallas are your mind is capable of handling.

IS YOUR MIND PREPARED?

no this should be pretty straight forward really

liEt3nH.png
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I've been dead for so long that I had forgotten what it's like to live.

Langly wrote:
    and right after he gave it to him, kuhlmeye died

I didn't know about this.

I am now even MORE angry.

Real strong, facetious.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    !Signup

Got my top hat all ready :D

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Is adding the host to PM conversations normal? A few people added langly for his phalla in conversations with me but nobody did in the phallas I did before that. Just want to make sure Im following all the rules.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    The devil, you say!?

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote:
    Is adding the host to PM conversations normal? A few people added langly for his phalla in conversations with me but nobody did in the phallas I did before that. Just want to make sure Im following all the rules.

Since the forums have moved to Vanilla, most of the phallas I've been in have requested that the host be added to conversations.

Egos wrote:
    Back with a vengeance.

I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.

No but seriously I don't think he's coming back. He just doesn't have the WILLPOWER and MANLY SPIRIT to get back into this.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    To shreds, you say!?

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    filling up fast.

nice.

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Let's do this again!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Not too late?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    That's one spot left. I should be able to start this tomorrow, unless volcano comes up.

liEt3nH.png