As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Wednesday Sept. 28, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited September 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-Jm4f9NT-L.jpg

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I love this strip.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Which game is this?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still get teased by my brother that I named a pirate Monkeyfuck and what I have seen people do to Animal Crossing is better left to the imagination

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Which game is this?

Ensorcelled Representation of Medieval Europe™

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    And just as we're all heading to Dunland in LOTRO. It's ridiculously recognizable.

• Options
    Aldo wrote:
    And just as we're all heading to Dunland in LOTRO. It's ridiculously recognizable.

We are? It is?

I've only barely glanced at trial periods of just two non-WoW MMOs in the past 7 years: EVE Online for a few days and Rift for about an hour. Haven't checked in on LotRO at all, and the names in this comic aren't exactly Tolkien-ish.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The preview thumbnail on the main section of the site is delicious.

temp-6.jpg

@SabreMau It's a joke based on a genre not an individual game. The newspost may reveal a specific inspiration but it is in no way required for the joke to work. I can't really believe you need this explaining.

Aldo is referring to the situation being recognisable in LOTRO at the moment, not that the comic is set there.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Well, initially I was curious as to if they were referencing a specific game instead of a genre joke. After checking, it turns out that a LotRO expansion came out yesterday. I did not previously know about this.

But in this case, yeah, I was sorta hoping there was some further context to enhance the joke's flavour.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'd be incredibly surprised if this was a LOTRO comic. There's nothing in there that looks like LOTRO.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MaigaardMaigaard Registered User regular
    Me thinks this might be about Torchlight 2?

• Options
    Yea I wish the quest NPCs were half as witty as that guy. :P

I guess I should have worded my previous post better, though. Sorry Sabre.

But really, I just did get a quest reward that was faded huntsman cloak while I'm sporting a cloak crafted by the finest Elven craftsmen in Lothlorien. :P

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Struck me as a comment on RPG conventions in general. Fits WoW roughly as well as Torchlight or whatever else comes to mind.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Captain Dickshits is anatomically improbable.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    T

@SabreMau It's a joke based on a genre not an individual game. The newspost may reveal a specific inspiration but it is in no way required for the joke to work. I can't really believe you need this explaining.

Aldo is referring to the situation being recognisable in LOTRO at the moment, not that the comic is set there.

Yeah, I laughed because this is ever RPG/MMO/hack and slash type game, ever.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Captain Dickshits is anatomically improbable.

I know, it's hard to think anyone with that sort of disfiguration would rise above the rank of lieutenant.

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    As someone who plays WAY too many MMOs, this cracked me up.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Now I'm imaging the frustration that would come from earning the Inferior Boots and them not being your size.

That is something that hasn't really been explored in MMOs. Maybe part of the magical properties of these fantasy game realms is that every item is guaranteed to be one size fits all? Perhaps a wizard is enabling everything to be custom tailored to your frame.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    Now I'm imaging the frustration that would come from earning the Inferior Boots and them not being your size.

That is something that hasn't really been explored in MMOs. Maybe part of the magical properties of these fantasy game realms is that every item is guaranteed to be one size fits all? Perhaps a wizard is enabling everything to be custom tailored to your frame.

Pre 3e D&D had this problem. Finding a suit of gnome-sized super magic plate was just not going to happen.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RizzRustboltRizzRustbolt Registered User regular
    Sure, the decrepit foot-rags look nice. But, I think I'll stick with these nails that the last questgiver hammered into my feet.

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    This can be talking about anything but I'm pretty sure that's a barbarian from Diablo 3.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Pretty certain this is about every single MMORPG ever made, about 60% of all WRPGs and about 50% of all JRPGs. And 99% of all ARPGs. About 80% of SRPGs. Maybe down to 78% for WSRPGs. Maybe 77% for IWSRPGs?

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    And at least 6% of all RTSs, and 3% of all PCAs.

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Birthday comic.

T&G got me [inferior boots] for my birthday!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This comic definitely fits more than one game. I love shitty rewards.

On a related note, Oblivion kinda did a good job of this sort of thing, where some quest rewards had their stats based on what level you accomplished things at. Then again, that was also flawed and shit so I ended up getting a mod that made those items scale with your level all the time.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    kingworks wrote:
    Birthday comic.

T&G got me [inferior boots] for my birthday!

You're my birthday buddy!

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    good news is you can trade in 10 pairs of Inferior Boots for a set of Rusty Pauldrons of -20 Strength

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Rehab wrote:

Pre 3e D&D had this problem. Finding a suit of gnome-sized super magic plate was just not going to happen.

I seem to remember EverQuest had a lot of race restrictions on things. So certain race/class combinations were unwise.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm almost certain this has to be from them playing the Diablo beta.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:

That would make the most sense... but item-based quest rewards have never really been a Thing in Diablo. I can't speak for D3 'cause I'm not in the beta, but I would be surprised to find that a game that's so heavily looting-based would turn to be quest based.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Which game is this?

All the games.

I love the way DA2 subverted the fetch quest so that you just happened upon significant items while adventuring, then you went in to town to find the person they belonged to and get your reward. No dialog trees, no trying to figure out where you were supposed to go on the map just, "Hey is this yours?" "Yep, have some gold!"

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I think WoW had the right idea with reputation. Doing something good for someone else gave you advantages in that community.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

That would make the most sense... but item-based quest rewards have never really been a Thing in Diablo. I can't speak for D3 'cause I'm not in the beta, but I would be surprised to find that a game that's so heavily looting-based would turn to be quest based.

I dunno. They've made WoW in the meantime. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's random quests with rewards thrown in too.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    There has been some fetch questy stuff in Diablo before. Not much, but maybe one quest every other Act.

The Golden Bird quest from Act III in Diablo II comes to mind.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Oh hey, look at that.

Tycho wrote:
    The reason the electrified parts of the world have not ground to halt altogether is that the Diablo III beta includes only subset of a percentage of a portion of a slice of a morsel of the first part of the game. Well, we have been there, we have done that. And we’ve gotten the boots.

Rehab on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    So the beta consists of a fetch quest?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    LOTRO's free now right? I keep leaning towards dling it whenever I hear about it.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Eddy wrote:
    LOTRO's free now right? I keep leaning towards dling it whenever I hear about it.

@Eddy Freemium is the correct way to describe it. Sure you can play it for free, but after a while you'll be expected to invest at least some money. But if you wanna try it out you won't be faced by some 1 week trial and level limit bullshit, you can dick around for as long as you like and see quite a bit of the game without having to cough up any cash.

Most PA'ers are on the server Landroval.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I laughed out loud

this here

this is a solid strip