As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game On: Final Fantasy XI

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    so it turns out red mage doesn't suck as much as I was led to believe that it sucked

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2006
    Most classes seem totally uber awesome++ in the beginning, especially Red Mage. You can do a bit of everything, and at low levels a little goes a long ways. It's towards the middle that things start to suck a bit. Once you get Refresh at 43 or so, it's like Red Mages get a skill called Auto-Invite.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Mama SassMama Sass Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    so it turns out red mage doesn't suck as much as I was led to believe that it sucked

And they have the most pimpin' AF. Especially if you're a taru.

Mama Sass on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Most classes seem totally uber awesome++ in the beginning, especially Red Mage. You can do a bit of everything, and at low levels a little goes a long ways. It's towards the middle that things start to suck a bit. Once you get Refresh at 43 or so, it's like Red Mages get a skill called Auto-Invite.

well, I have been fucking around with whm on my carbuncle dude, and that's fun, but I am a fragile little bastard. you know, not that I didn't expect that. I'm trying to build myself up a little and learn how to be a semi effective healer before I go bugging you guys.

meanwhile, my red mage is pretty fun at the moment. also, humes are so boring and awesome.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    A duck! wrote:

well, I have been fucking around with whm on my carbuncle dude, and that's fun, but I am a fragile little bastard. you know, not that I didn't expect that. I'm trying to build myself up a little and learn how to be a semi effective healer before I go bugging you guys.

meanwhile, my red mage is pretty fun at the moment. also, humes are so boring and awesome.

Boring is the new awesome?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    A duck! wrote:

they're boring because I can be a human any old time. they're awesome because they don't suck too bad at anything, so I can play whatever the hell I want.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, I wanted to go melee and I heard accuracy was a problem, so I went with Mithra. Sorta hurts for some jobs I'd want to try though.

A duck! on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    manthra OLOL

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006

they're boring because I can be a human any old time. they're awesome because they don't suck too bad at anything, so I can play whatever the hell I want.

True that.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Wren wrote:
    manthra OLOL

Mothra was always my favorite. It's too bad he sold out and helped humans.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I have been fishing with Reww. No one else has logged in that I know of.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Believe me, I would love to be logging in.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    The Sneak! wrote:
    Believe me, I would love to be logging in.

Yeah, sure you would Mr. I-don't-want-to-renew-my-account-untill-Thursday.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    If the new update doesn't own I'm leaving. And by the time the arenas and shit come out, Phantasy Star Universe will be rocking.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    KolchakKolchak Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    So I am actually playing this game now. I have a 34 Galka Warrior/Monk on the Bismarck server. Once I hit 37 I am going Paladin.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2006
    I just started this game on the PS2, and I've got a level nine Warrior on Shiva.

My problem is, lately every time I turn on my TV to play this game, The Fresh Prince is on and I just watch that instead.

"Women is a trip, uncle Phil."

I'd play with you guys, but there is only room in my life for one pay-to-play online RPG, so I think this game will fall by the wayside once PSU comes out.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Look who we saw on our way in to get pwned by that rank mission dragon.

Edit: I also feel the need to say here that another day has gone by with almost no one on the page 1 list logging in. I think you all playing was a cruel hoax and practical joke. But fine, if you all won't play, that leaves MORE FUN FOR ME!

Oh god I am so lonely!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    A little later I met up with Ormi finally. He helped me with part of the NPC quest out of Upper Juno, and then I gave him a pearl from the LS I purchased for conveniance sake.

And the LS name is SocialEntropy, so everyone knows. Looks like Squeenix released the name finally.

Afterwards I tripped over Yuufuu in Juno and then went and completed the NPC quest. It took about 5 tries, but I got it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Afterwards I tripped over Yuufuu in Juno and then went and completed the NPC quest. It took about 5 tries, but I got it.

Yuufuu's too cool for English now

but he's not too fluent in Japanese either so most of the time he ends up not saying anything

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    I tried to finish the Dragoon quest this evening. I can't solo that dragon at the end. It didn't totally pwn me, but it isn't a fight that I can win.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    11awspu.png

It is a giant crystal.

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    From what I understand Dragoons are a pretty dismal class and nobody ever wants to give them party invites.

Kolchak on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Kolchak wrote:
    From what I understand Dragoons are a pretty dismal class and nobody ever wants to give them party invites.

Not really. It's mostly just a "loldrg" thing. They do get invites, but there aren't actually a lot of people playing the job, and those that do are usually out there soloing.

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    I just never got around to finishing it. Many of the other jobs I have are still level 1.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    when's the best time to meet with a few of you guys?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Now

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    well I can't come on RIGHT NOW. maybe in a couple hours.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Kolchak wrote:

No one ever wants to give anyone invites. People are way too hung up on the concept of the 'perfect party' in this game. I played up to a 45MNK/WAR, and the last 15 levels were entirely from parties I made myself, that sometimes didn't have a whm, or had too many, or lacked a proper tank, but fuck if I was gonna accept another invite to sit in an immobile group for an hour while the PL seeks out a bard to achieve that ideal balance. Unless you're a WHM, someone will always find you to be an undesirable addition. Just play what you want and make your own groups.

Mama Sass on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Mama Sass wrote:
    Kolchak wrote:

No one ever wants to give anyone invites. People are way too hung up on the concept of the 'perfect party' in this game. I played up to a 45MNK/WAR, and the last 15 levels were entirely from parties I made myself, that sometimes didn't have a whm, or had too many, or lacked a proper tank, but fuck if I was gonna accept another invite to sit in an immobile group for an hour while the PL seeks out a bard to achieve that ideal balance. Unless you're a WHM, someone will always find you to be an undesirable addition. Just play what you want and make your own groups.

Preach it!

Of course I first went White Mage because I could never find one.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Lakitu has a SocialEntropy pearl now

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    oh god I want a pearl necklace from SE++ too

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Wren wrote:
    oh god I want a pearl necklace from SE++ too

:^:

mrpaku on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Kolchak wrote:
    Been playing the job since PC release, it's great. The problem is it has a large percentages of fuck-faces who also like to give the job a shot, and have no fucking clue as to what they're doing.

It can do fine damage, especially in the new areas with all the flying monsters (and God knows why anyone would level anywhere else now thanks to the new points system in Aht Urghan).

Aside from that, as far as non leveling goes subbing /WHM for parties (Especially post Drachen Armet and especially with a Wyrm Armet) they can kick some serious ass as the melee's healer, or survival in more unique battles like BCNM's and Assault.

Basicly, if you know how to play, it's more than fine, if not, it's not a pretty sight. But honestly, 1 mp (thank you Sandspin) for as much as 500+ HP thanks to all the wyvern hp+ itemization? I'd say that's a fairly decent ratio especially considering that the healing breath also has built in erase for every breath, and can affect party members with full fledged healing wyverns (/BLM, /WHM, /RDM, /BLU) not to be confused with the dogshit hybrids.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Coldbrand wrote:
    Kolchak wrote:
    Been playing the job since PC release, it's great. The problem is it has a large percentages of fuck-faces who also like to give the job a shot, and have no fucking clue as to what they're doing.

It can do fine damage, especially in the new areas with all the flying monsters (and God knows why anyone would level anywhere else now thanks to the new points system in Aht Urghan).

Aside from that, as far as non leveling goes subbing /WHM for parties (Especially post Drachen Armet and especially with a Wyrm Armet) they can kick some serious ass as the melee's healer, or survival in more unique battles like BCNM's and Assault.

Basicly, if you know how to play, it's more than fine, if not, it's not a pretty sight. But honestly, 1 mp (thank you Sandspin) for as much as 500+ HP thanks to all the wyvern hp+ itemization? I'd say that's a fairly decent ratio especially considering that the healing breath also has built in erase for every breath, and can affect party members with full fledged healing wyverns (/BLM, /WHM, /RDM, /BLU) not to be confused with the dogshit hybrids.

For those who feel like "TL, DR"... GLowing endorsement.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    For those of you who can't stand the lack of alt tab, I was directed towards this website this evening:

http://ffxi.archbell.com/

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    For those of you who can't stand the lack of alt tab, I was directed towards this website this evening:

omg hax

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Wren wrote:

omg hax

hax indeed.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2006

Definitely worth a download if you play, windowed modes make life easier. This program also allows for japanese kana input, if anyone cares. It's mainly useful for confusing players on both sides of the pacific.

Mama Sass on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    For an additional modification to the game, check out this UI mod. It makes the interface much prettier.

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Yeah I've been running windower since I started. SquareEnix isn't very hot on it (as companies with programs being modified without their consent tend to be) but I don't think they can detect it.

As for War/Mnk, no offense Mama Sass, but I just hit 37 with my War/Mnk and am GLAD to be rid of it. I mean, War/Mnk is good for the lower levels when options are more limited, but I think there comes a point when it's not really doing much, it was really frustrating me at the end and I had to make my own parties too.

Tanking: I was having aggro-holding issues with my War/Mnk at the end, voking every 30 seconds, deferring on Defender to try to hold aggro more, and using Warcry as an emergency taunt. A war/nin, nin/war, or pld/war was really desirable over me, I have to admit.

Damage: Again, a bit of a problem. WAR/NIN you can get two weapons rocking which of course really helps your DPS as well as your tankability. If you want to use a greataxe, of course, it's better, but picky bastards are always going to want a WAR/THF for 2handers to capitalize on those huge sneakattacks. You gotta lay out the cash on sushi, too.

Now that I've got war maxed out as a sub, I think it's pld time for me. That being said, I've been messing around with drg too and I haven't completely ruled it out yet. Corsair looks cool too, but I don't want to build a new sub (evidently Ninja or Ranger are the 'in' subs) just to play it.

Kolchak on