As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One Fish, Two Fish, Dead Fish, New Fish [CHAT]!

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I'm a self reliant loner too, we should avoid each other at all of the events (as a matter of fact, we should avoid the events all together) and certainly never call each other for assistance in picking up our respective cars from a service.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Thats pretty hardcore.

Ung why do doctors always insist on scaring the shit out of you? My wife dropped off a urine test for my daughter to the docs last night and got call this morning with the whole "We need to see you immediately but cannot tell you why"......now I'm fucking freaking out.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Don't worry, Mustang

they just need to make sure your insurance info is up to date

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited September 2011
    I am going to stab so many eyeballs if that is the case, but it will be relieved eyeball stabbing.

EDIT: Just got a call from wife, turns out she may have a secondary urinary tract infection, but it may have just been a contaminated sample.
    Which will require another test. I'm not sure if I need to stab eyeballs or not....maybe just the receptionists eyeballs.........for now.

Mustang on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote:
    handwriting.jpg

I thought you were going to write down the lyrics to Mother Lover.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    PROX wrote:
    Nappuccino wrote:
    handwriting.pg[img][/img]

I thought you were going to write down the lyrics to Mother Lover.

I could do that should there be a demand.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    DOOOEEET!

Also today's (or possibly yesterdays) comic is pretty good.
    I do so hate it when I bust my hump in an RPG for a reward that is completely fucking useless to me.

i-Jm4f9NT-L.jpg

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    Today's comic is really well drawn, even for Mike

Yeah he is experimenting with more shapes. that's great!

I've decided to hate dubstep for no reason.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    PROX wrote:

Hands though :/

Also everyone fucking hates dubstep, I don't get it.

I like the wubs

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    wubs is probably the best description of dubstep i've yet heard.

wub... wub. wub..... wuwuwuwub. wub. wub.

I'm tempted to hate it for its trendiness but that'd just be shallow and depreciative. It just isn't my preference.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I kind of wonder why RPG developers don't create quests that generate loot with stats that are based on the gear you already have.

Like the boots you get, instead of having a static value, could have like [currently equipped boots stats+1] on it. And then when you complete the quest it checks your boots and spits out the shiny new ones.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    well, i mean

most games you can really only ever have up to a certain level of gear before any given quest because there just aren't any higher drops where you're coming from. Still, one of the tropes that's always frustrated me was the fact that higher-level stuff exists in the game universe, you just never see it until you're allowed to. It would of course be game-ruining to catch a level-48 pokemon before you were supposed to be able to, and if you kept running into random-level pokemon right out of pallet it would be hard as hell to ever get anywhere. (or maybe then you'd have roguelike pokemon? ... i think i want that.)

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    No you are a wizard and you are getting these spiteful feces encrusted plate boots, they have a personality, and it hates you. also you cant even wear them

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Theres a lot of shitty generic dubstep. Everything does follow Sturgeon's Law after all.

But stuff like this is awesome:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IddDWBpkzYg

I keep hearing this referred to as "Dubstep"- whether it is or not, I don't know. But it is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Theres a lot of shitty generic dubstep. Everything does follow Sturgeon's Law after all.

But stuff like this is awesome:
    snip

That was texture-licious.

F87 on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I really love the organic texture of that track. Its very... gristly.

This is also a great dubstep mix of War of the Worlds (well, theres a point at about 50 minutes where I can't stand the rest of it from there on, but 50 minutes of awesome is good):

Great to work to.

Wassermelone on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I kind of wonder why RPG developers don't create quests that generate loot with stats that are based on the gear you already have.

Like the boots you get, instead of having a static value, could have like [currently equipped boots stats+1] on it. And then when you complete the quest it checks your boots and spits out the shiny new ones.

This is called loot level-scaling and has actually been tried, for example in Oblivion. Unfortunately, RPG developers are THE WORST and fuck everything up totally oh my god it's SO FRUSTRATING!
    The problem here is this: if you scale the reward according to your PC (no matter if we're talking about his gear or skills), you also have to scale the quest itself according to the reward- this basically means that the world starts revolving around your character and his progress and THIS in turn pretty much defeats the purpose of levelling at all, unless it's just about "getting more cool stuff" (which is okay for some people, I guess? Certainly not for me).
    If we're talking about a physical object in return for a quest (which is one of many ways of rewarding the player, even if it's used 99% of the time...), I'd much rather just be able to quickly determine whether the quest itself is worth taking- which the comic actually illustrates very well. I mean what's wrong with the existence of people offering shitty rewards for menial tasks?

• TamTam Registered User regular
    mmmm that is good dubstep
    even though I like mine more heavy on the distortion

sorta

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote:

This is called loot level-scaling and has actually been tried, for example in Oblivion. Unfortunately, RPG developers are THE WORST and fuck everything up totally oh my god it's SO FRUSTRATING!
    The problem here is this: if you scale the reward according to your PC (no matter if we're talking about his gear or skills), you also have to scale the quest itself according to the reward- this basically means that the world starts revolving around your character and his progress and THIS in turn pretty much defeats the purpose of levelling at all, unless it's just about "getting more cool stuff" (which is okay for some people, I guess? Certainly not for me).
    If we're talking about a physical object in return for a quest (which is one of many ways of rewarding the player, even if it's used 99% of the time...), I'd much rather just be able to quickly determine whether the quest itself is worth taking- which the comic actually illustrates very well. I mean what's wrong with the existence of people offering shitty rewards for menial tasks?

I suppose there's no issue with it. I think that maybe developers should just distinguish between quests that are important, say, to the survival of a community (clear out the goblins in a cave to the east) vs the ones that are just there to establish grounding in the setting or whatever.

One of them upgrades your equipment, and the other maybe just provides you with some kind of good (rations, supplies) or a service (access to a fletching table, discount on repairs).

Also the system used in oblivion is based on your level - it's a little different than what I'm describing. For example, in oblivion, say you have a unique sword.

At level 1-4 it has X stats
    At level 5-8 it has X+2 stats
    At level 9-12 it has X+4 stats

What I'm talking about is smaller scale. Under the system I'm talking about, I'm thinking what I'd do is establish a profile for each item like so:

[Minimum item stats]
    [Maximum item stats]
    Item stats = [current gear] +1 (within parameters)

Just as an idea. I'm sure there are unforeseen problems with this, too. There always are. Game design is such a pain in the ass that way.

Since we're talking about electronic music- you guys should all check out Decomposure. All his music is free at his site and I've loved everything I've heard from him (he has pretty wide stylistic tastes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1lT89AIrg&feature=related

Siegfried wrote:
    PROX wrote:

Hands though :/

Also everyone fucking hates dubstep, I don't get it.

I like the wubs

I said for no reason guys.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    The doodle thread is messed up for me! It shows an old page for the most recent, what do I do?

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have the same issue, frank

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Something weeeeird is on yeah.

edited September 2011
    They changed the PPP back to 40, chill out people.
    EDIT: wait, no, it's all right for me but messed up for others?

This must mean I am
    THE CHOSEN ONE!

Mayday on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Choseeeen one!
    *kung pow*

That's racist.

Mayday wrote: »
    They changed the PPP back to 40, chill out people.
    EDIT: wait, no, it's all right for me but messed up for others?

This must mean I am
    THE CHOSEN ONE!

back to 40? wasn't it at 25? why doesn't the forum number the posts any more? and why are young people wearing their pants under their buttocks? and why am I becoming Andy Rooney?

They switched to 40 when the forums got moved to Vanilla, then they cranked it up all the way to 50 and now we're back at 40. Get with the times, gramps!

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    There's some dubstep I like, but for the most part I find it over-distorted in that "scraping nails on a chalkboard, super high frequency ear-destruction" kinda way.

I love the crap out of electronic music, and some distortion is fine, but when it hurts my ears I can't handle it. :C

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of dubstep so I can't contribute to the conversation D:

So in other news

I have a list of Halloween Card people I'm planning to make Halloweenie cards for! (If you want to be added to the list, e-mail/message me your address!)

I said I'd do either a TF2 or Venture Bros theme, but I lied. To honor the recent release of Blu-Rays that came out this month, the theme will be Star Wars. I MAKE THE RULES! Gwahahaa

I had to look up what dubstep was.....dance music is something I don't really care about because it is incredibly shallow.

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    I listen to all of the musics.

This discussion has been closed.