As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Thursday Sept. 29, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited September 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-HSrqd2v.jpg
No... wait... go back over there... dammit.

09/29/2011 - Anonymous

After being part of the mobile test team for a year, my hard word paid off and I was assigned to test a REAL game for our Japanese parent company. I was excited to dig in since the game was part of a franchise I loved, and after doing a fair bit of research on the title, I arrived at work bright and early, ready to test.

I entered the room I was assigned to and closed the door behind me, eager to play, but when I turned around I found nothing but a TV and a DVD player. No PC. No Console. No controllers. No nothing.

It turned out the parent company wasn’t exactly thrilled with the idea of passing around playable builds, so their level of paranoia had reached new heights. For the next few weeks, I was to “test” this game … by watching pre-recorded footage of the developer playing the game.

Not awesome!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    ...wow

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I have defended the stories previously posted but even I have to question the validity of this one.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    her lineart is driving me insane

also I am having a hard time feeling sorry for this tester who apparently was looking forward to testing a REAL game because mobile games aren't real??

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    not unless it's snake or breakout.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:

also I am having a hard time feeling sorry for this tester who apparently was looking forward to testing a REAL game because mobile games aren't real??

I'd gather testing mobile games is probably more migrane inducing than console titles. The level of repetition they have by default is maddening.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Has her nose always been a comma?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    Oh man, this story made me crack up. What a ridiculous idea, watch a video of the developers playing.

Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    collinc wrote:
    Oh man, this story made me crack up. What a ridiculous idea, watch a video of the developers playing.

I'm not even sure what you could be "testing" doing that. Maybe the next line of the story is ".. and then I was fired for not finding any new bugs."

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:

I'd gather testing mobile games is probably more migrane inducing than console titles. The level of repetition they have by default is maddening.

Also, mobile games have come a long way even in just the past couple years. The story doesn't say when he was testing mobile games so for all he know the work he was doing before was on some shitty Tetris clone played on a 1.5-inch screen. Stuff like Fruit Ninja and Battleheart look like AAA titles compared to where mobile games were just a few years ago.

• Options
    Human ShieldHuman Shield Registered User regular
    Look at that first panel. Now look at the other two. You don't realize it at first, but once you notice his hair in the other two panels, it's immediately obvious:

In the first panel we are looking from the other side of the mirror.

I think this is irrefutable proof that there is a mirror universe at play in this story. Probably much like Spock with a goatee, the mirror universe Isaac is the exact opposite of his normal counterpart. The question is, which one are we reading the adventures of? I'm guessing that the evil Isaac has somehow crossed over and is working to destroy this company while the REAL protagonist watches helplessly from the other side of the mirror.

As for her nose, it used to be jelly-bean shaped but now it kinda looks like she's got a Band-aid brand adhesive bandage on her face.

• Options
    Human ShieldHuman Shield Registered User regular
    collinc wrote:
    I'm highly dubious as to the authenticity of this story. I find it hard to believe that a large Japanese corporation would be so stupid as to think that

A. The developer should do the bug checking. QA is a second pair of eyes meant to try to do things in the software that the developer wouldn't think to do. Having a developer play the game defeats the purpose of QA because the developer is going to play it the way he/she thinks it should be played.

B. Watching a video instead of having control of the gameplay will find a bug that the developer couldn't find himself by making the video in the first place.

I call bull-oney on this story. Sounds more like someone made it up just to get it posted in Trenches. The person probably hasn't ever even worked a day in QA.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Count me in on the whole "this story seems made up."

As for the comic, something just dawned on me - I wonder if we're ever going to learn what exactly the job is that this guy is doing. If that manages to remain vague for a long time, if not forever, I'll be amused.

• Options
    KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I was thinking that the quality of the script had been steadily going up for a while, but this... Is the punchline the fact that he's in the ladies' room? A fact most of us probably guessed just from looking at the first panel? It loses its power if the punchline is not unexpected...

This kind of feels like filler...

EDIT: And yeah, my objection to that story is that the dude playing the game in the first place would probably be doing the bug reports. Japanese companies are very efficient, I find it hard to believe they would hire someone just to watch the video.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    The story doesn't make much sense. I dunno why someone would make it up though.

I'm still loving the comic. I'm more of a continuity guy than I thought.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Really I think it's pretty clear by this point that the comic's not really meant to induce side-splitting laughter and more "heh that's mildly amusing"

If you don't like it by now I doubt you're going to ever

I don't know why people constantly feel the need to pretend like they're Professional Webcomic Critics about this comic

• Options
    DextolenDextolen Registered User regular
    Man. The creative minds behind this strip can do so much better than this.

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Really I think it's pretty clear by this point that the comic's not really meant to induce side-splitting laughter and more "heh that's mildly amusing"

If you don't like it by now I doubt you're going to ever

I don't know why people constantly feel the need to pretend like they're Professional Webcomic Critics about this comic

B...but I took a class and everything!

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Dextolen wrote:

That's what I've been saying since this shit started.

What kind of moron walks into the woman's bathroom and doesn't notice he's in the wrong fucking place?

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I once walked in to the wrong bathroom. I am so used to ladies' rooms being on the right or the first one you come to that I just aimed for that door. And then there were urinals.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

As for the comic, something just dawned on me - I wonder if we're ever going to learn what exactly the job is that this guy is doing. If that manages to remain vague for a long time, if not forever, I'll be amused.

It's real.

I'm not the submitter, but I've worked for the company that this is about. I suspect I even know the game.
    Kochikens wrote:

I work mobile testing and honestly I prefer it, but clearly mileage will vary here.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    I once walked in to the wrong bathroom. I am so used to ladies' rooms being on the right or the first one you come to that I just aimed for that door. And then there were urinals.

I once walked into a bathroom at Wal-mart. There was a little girl there, and we both looked at each other with very confused faces. My thought was why is she in there. I'm sure she had a similar thought in her mind. All of the sudden it struck me and I turned and ran out of there.

Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

It's real.

I'm not the submitter, but I've worked for the company that this is about. I suspect I even know the game.

I'm glad there's someone "in the industry" who says this could be real. Because that story is so ridiculous I just want it to be real: that some where, some how, there's a company that dumb.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    never underestimate the level of stupid at some of these major publishers. it's the reason we don't get very many really new or innovative games any more. not from major publishers anyway. too scared to take a risk, better to pump out Madden 99901 and Call of Duty 7450.

also "I was excited to test a game I loved" - OOPS. not something you want to wish for honestly, you'll end up hating that game and never want to see it again.

jwalk on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote:
    never underestimate the level of stupid at some of these major publishers. it's the reason we don't get very many really new or innovative games any more. not from major publishers anyway. too scared to take a risk, better to pump out Madden 99901 and Call of Duty 7450.

also "I was excited to test a game I loved" - OOPS. not something you want to wish for honestly, you'll end up hating that game and never want to see it again.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    collinc wrote:
    I'm highly dubious as to the authenticity of this story. I find it hard to believe that a large Japanese corporation would be so stupid as to think that

A. The developer should do the bug checking. QA is a second pair of eyes meant to try to do things in the software that the developer wouldn't think to do. Having a developer play the game defeats the purpose of QA because the developer is going to play it the way he/she thinks it should be played.

B. Watching a video instead of having control of the gameplay will find a bug that the developer couldn't find himself by making the video in the first place.

I call bull-oney on this story. Sounds more like someone made it up just to get it posted in Trenches. The person probably hasn't ever even worked a day in QA.

Given some of the QA tasks that I've had (open and close the main menu for eight hours is my personal favorite) I can see this being a thing that happened.

Also, given some of the QA personnel that I've worked with (WoW guy, Revealing info about the game we're working on in the official forums guy, Using the company computers to code flash games for kongregate guy, etc.) I can understand where the developer's paranoia was coming from.

• Options
    The ladies room at work in our old building had couches up in there. Best way to tell you made the wrong turn. Couches. Who lounges in the toilet? and why the double standard???

• Options
    ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    Dextolen wrote:
    Who lounges in the toilet?
    Breast milk pumping moms. They probably don't consider it "lounging".

• Options
    Tss_fanTss_fan Registered User regular
    Dextolen wrote:
    The ladies room at work in our old building had couches up in there. Best way to tell you made the wrong turn. Couches. Who lounges in the toilet? and why the double standard???

Most often that is for breast feeding, they get out of the public eye but its not cool to make them sit on the toilet each time the child is hungry. Alternatively for pumping but the same concept.

• Options
    Chickeen wrote:
    Breast milk pumping moms. They probably don't consider it "lounging".

Our building had a lactation room too. Coming back from lunch and passing the door... "I'll be in my office!"

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, it's definitely the case that someone watching you play will notice bugs that you won't.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Where the fuck are his hands in the first panel? Does he remove them after pooping?

edit: Also, wtf. Human Shield is sort of right, shouldn't his hair be backwards in the first panel if that's a mirror? None of this makes sense, at all.

LTM on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:

I work mobile testing and honestly I prefer it, but clearly mileage will vary here.
    Really? All the jads and jars and cods and arm/win/docs and cldc's and midp's and ipa's and app's and let's not forget the documentations and the shitty handsets and UGH

The comic has quite a pace. Like a monotonous plodding. Kinda like QA.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I did not see that he had no hands in the first panel. That is the sort of thing you can't unsee.

I just took the second two panels as us basically standing behind them, viewing them in the mirror.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    MuddBudd wrote:

Hey, so maybe that's the deal, they're just being super meta here. "This comic is not to entertain you with the hilarious antics of people working in QA. This comic is to make you feel as if you are working in QA when you read it."

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    This is not the finest hour for any of the parties involved. Story as a whole seems valid to me, though.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    MuddBudd wrote:

Hey, so maybe that's the deal, they're just being super meta here. "This comic is not to entertain you with the hilarious antics of people working in QA. This comic is to make you feel as if you are working in QA when you read it."

Maybe we're supposed to be pointing out the issues with the comic and logging tickets so they can fix it and re-post?

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    hands are overrated anyway

• Options
    Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Ok, I'll be the first one to say that the whole "Boo this is boring why am I not laughing my ass off with the first strip" thing is quite silly, but...

Really, the inconsistencies in the first panel are funnier than the strip itself. His hair does not reflect correctly at all, and the hands are just two stumps splashing, as if trying to call the attention to the fact that they do not belong in reality.

Also, her lips say "Hey" but her eyes say "Jesus christ what is wrong with that reflection"

Snarkman3 on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Dextolen wrote:

I think you've touched on one of the major problems with Trenches. It cannot live up to the hype of its parent projects.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Dextolen wrote:

Couches are an institution from the 1950's or 60's, where those women would go when they're getting 'the cramps' or some other such BS to avoid working.

But seriously, it's really more of an issue of removing and getting rid of a couch that's been sitting in the women's restroom for 20+ years than leaving it in there.