As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On Burgs and Other Important Items of Nourishment

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    Yeah you're talking about that root fungus? Some family friends ended up having to sell their banana plantation because nearly a whole year's stock got smashed by race 4 :(

Yep! I read up on it again after listening to this episode of Science Friday.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Red curry with chicken.

Beef strog.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    What's a good thing to cook on those nights where you really don't feel like doing a big cook-up but want to eat something delicious?

Steak.

Take steak.

Put in hot pan.

Eat when you feel like it.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm gonna miss bananas when they go extinct

they make the best kind of cakey bread

• Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    ramen was on sale

a buck fifty for six packages

so that's what I'm eating tonight

I like to doctor it up with some curry powder and rooster sauce

any other suggestions?

I don't use the package seasoning. I'm on a low sodium diet, but poor as fuck.
    I use a quarter of vegetable bullion, and I add shelled edamame and green peas, as well as cayenne, black, and red pepper.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    ramen + a few sliced green onions + a few shrimp + a few re-hydrated shitake mushrooms + chicken or fish broth = Crazy Delicious

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    I'm gonna miss bananas when they go extinct

they make the best kind of cakey bread

They won't, don't worry.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Stale wrote:
    ramen + a few sliced green onions + a few shrimp + a few re-hydrated shitake mushrooms + chicken or fish broth = Crazy Delicious

Pretty much what I was coming in here to say.

Here's the break down folks:

Fire up your oven to 350.
    Make a bunch of aluminum foil squares
    In the center of each square place half a brick of ramen
    Top with (in this order): Mushrooms, peeled and deveined shrimp, onions, scallions
    Pour in a mixture of: Stock (veggie, chicken or fish), soy, mirin and some ginger if you're feeling it. Figure around a cup of liquid per square
    Place in oven for 15 minutes

Take out of oven, dump into bowl, stir and enjoy.

edit: hm, missed a step. After you place the ramen onto the square, you're going to want to pull up the sides of the foil into something like a volcano. It'll let steam escape the top while containing the ingredients and liquid.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Man those little bananas that are really common in SE Asia are fantastic. They're really mini, their flesh is really yellow and they are just absolutely delicious.

A big part of why I love the tropics is the abundance of delicious fruit. So good!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You guys are making me hungry.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote:
    Stale wrote:

Top with (in this order): Mushrooms, peeled and deveined shrimp, onions, scallions
    Pour in a mixture of: Stock (veggie, chicken or fish), soy, mirin and some ginger if you're feeling it. Figure around a cup of liquid per square

edit: hm, missed a step. After you place the ramen onto the square, you're going to want to pull up the sides of the foil into something like a volcano. It'll let steam escape the top while containing the ingredients and liquid.

I'm intrigued.. what exactly is this distinction from the typical method of boiling the noodles in broth?

• Options
    less liquid, concentration of flavor, bit of a roasty aspect to the veg/meat/noodles

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Did red curry again today, unfortunately couldn't get fresh lemon grass and discovered that red curry is totally a thing where you can over garlic a thing.

• Options
    alright fuck whatever ideas I had on lunch, I'munna try this

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    I'm a vegetarian and I'm offended by the content of thibluhbluhblughghh

y'know I only recently learned how awesome grilled corn is, why has that taken me this long

I learned about it in college.
    Never gone back to boiling it.

boiling is just an awful way to cook vegetables

I would respectfully disagree. If you're boiling the shit out of them so they're much and discoloured then yeah, but a quick blanche on carrots, beans, brussel sprouts and the like are just fantastic. Bright, colourful and crisp yum!

Yes!

My grandparents' generation tended to over-boil everything, so my mother was always afraid of doing the same, and so if anything she used to under-cook all the vegetables slightly. I grew up with crisp carrots and slightly firm peas, mm!
    BugBoy wrote:
    brussel sprouts should be roasted

there is no other way
    I agree.

Unfortunately when doing roast brussel sprouts this weekend I decided to par-boil them first (as the potatoes were nearly done), and I went to the bathroom and promptly forgot about the sprouts so... I waaaaay over-boiled them. Yuck!

• Options
    My grandparents are coming over this Sunday to see our new house. I'm trying to think of something to cook. My wife wanted to make her delicious stuffed shells, but I told her not to, because my grandfather hates Italian style food. I am thinking about some sort of pork, some veggie and something else, but I can't seem to make a decision.

• Options
    hit up a farmer's market, get yourself some squash, butternut if you can.

Peel, cube, drizzle with olive oil, season, sprinkle on some paprika. roast at 400.

Serve alongside some greens and a nice pork loin.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    That's a good idea.

I want to make that potato salad too, probably not for the same meal though.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Stale wrote:
    hit up a farmer's market, get yourself some squash, butternut if you can.

Peel, cube, drizzle with olive oil, season, sprinkle on some paprika. roast at 400.

Serve alongside some greens and a nice pork loin.

I'll have to try it that way some time. My wife loves squash.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yes yes roast butternut squash with paprika is wonderful

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mmm it's squash season

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplock wrote:
    Stale wrote:

I'm intrigued.. what exactly is this distinction from the typical method of boiling the noodles in broth?

tried it, it was wonderful
    boiled a cup of water and poured it in a bowl to make a broth with vegetable bullion, cayenne, red and black pepper
    diced onion and yellow squash, put it on the dried noodles with some frozen peas
    baked with soy sauce after adding the broth

it certainly improved on the quality of eating ramen

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Yes yes roast butternut squash with paprika is wonderful

I love it with curry powder too

• Options
    Grapes must be in season as well, because they've had some good prices lately.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Oh, and in case it might concern you, I heard on NPR that there is a pretty strong peanut shortage this year, so make sure you get your stock of peanut butter before prices go up.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    what is the difference between roasting something and baking it?

how do i go about roasting the squash
    what sort of dish do i put it on
    etc

• Options
    You can just dump it onto a cookie sheet/sheet pan if you've got one.

If not, an oven proof dish will do.

The difference between baking and roasting, I think, is merely one of amount of liquid in the dish, but I could be wrong.

And Agent O: Glad to hear that it worked out well for you.

• Options
    In general parlance, baking and roasting are often used somewhat interchangeably. More technically, baking tends to rely more on convection and generally uses lower heat and longer cooking times, but there's no hard and fast line that separates the two.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Aw man. Walked by a Korean place that has Korean tacos now. Why did I bring a stupid sandwich to work today? Fuck sandwiches.

• Options
    Huh.

• Options
    never considered peeling garlic all that difficult, you just crush the clove with the flat of a knife and remove the peel
    however that is a pretty nifty trick if you need to do a whole head of garlic

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Yea, peeling isn't tough really. But peeling a lot of it is a bit of a pain in the ass.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's also a great way to peel a lot of garlic at once, especially while keeping all the paper nice and neat in the bowl. I hate peeling garlic on a cutting board because it's sticky and even when you get most of it oh missed a small piece that got over here and oh there's one over there and whatever fuck it I'll just clean the goddamn counter later

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    That'll help a lot when making poached garlic compound butters!!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I shred my garlic.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Chicken schmaltz question for all yalls:
    I like chicken thighs, and we've been baking them a lot lately. Next day, in the baking dish, I grab a left over, and I notice 2 things. (1) There is a nice layer of easily removed fat on time of my runoff juices. (2) My runoff juices seem to have become chicken jello. We do marinate our chix thighs in soy, usually with ginger, pepper, or.something for a little more flavor. Question is, can I make a chix gravy (or something else?) with my gelatinized chicken runoff scmaltz?

• Options
    The gelatin is basically from the collagen in the skin and bones of the chicken released during cooking. Hell yeah you can make gravy with that schmaltz. Or what we like to do is when we roast a whole chicken we add carrots and potato and sometimes some leek to the roasting pan about 15-20 min in and let them roast in the chicken drippings.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Schmaltz is prime gravy materials, boy.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Someone just linked me a box of meat you can order from a butchers. It has a nice mix of meat and sounds delicious. I might look into it next month after I'm back from America.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    But with the soy and stuff in the gelatin, will that do Bad Things?
    It sure wasn't good in chicken salad!

This discussion has been closed.