As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Preventative Actions to Dramatically Decrease the Odds of Encouraging a Premature Death.

MDMD Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Social Entropy++
In other words, I just quit smoking again. For good this time.

The only worry that I have is, did I take too long to quit? I've chain-smoked tobacco cigarettes half my life. Is it too late?

Man, if I have cancer, i will be so annoyed.

MD on

• FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    Thank you for not making this an abortion thread.

ETqXK.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    You might find this weird, but reading your short little declaration and knowing that another person has decided to try to quit- has me really pumped up.
    So uh, Good Luck MD!

VayBJ4e.png
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    Quit smoking dick more like heh

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I quit smoking once a year it seems. It's a filthy, expensive, and dangerous habit that I can't seem to get away from.

I hate it.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I am pretty okay with smoking

7656367.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    MD wrote:
    In other words, I just quit smoking again. For good this time.

The only worry that I have is, did I take too long to quit? I've chain-smoked tobacco cigarettes half my life. Is it too late?

Man, if I have cancer, i will be so annoyed.

It is never too late.
    • In 20 minutes
      your blood pressure and pulse rate decrease, and the body temperature of your hands and feet increase. Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke reduces the blood’s ability to carry oxygen.
    • At 8 hours
      the carbon monoxide level in your blood decreases to normal. With the decrease in carbon monoxide, your blood oxygen level increases to normal.
    • At 24 hours
      your risk of having a heart attack decreases.
    • At 48 hours
      nerve endings start to regrow and the ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
    • Between 2 weeks and 3 months
      your circulation improves, walking becomes easier and you don’t cough or wheeze as often. Phlegm production decreases. Within several months, you have significant improvement in lung function.
    • at 1 to 9 months
      coughs, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decrease as you continue to see significant improvement in lung function. Cilia, tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs, regain normal function.
    • at 1 year
      risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack is reduced to half that of a smoker.
    • Between 5 and 15 years after quitting
      your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
    • at 10 years
      your risk of lung cancer drops. Additionally, your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decrease. Even after a decade of not smoking however, your risk of lung cancer remains higher than in people who have never smoked. Your risk of ulcer also decreases.
    • at 15 years
      your risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack in similar to that of people who have never smoked. The risk of death returns to nearly the level of a non-smoker.

#pipe on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've never had a habit as bad for my health as smoking is, but I've had a good few over the years.

I've never stopped a bad habit that I can recall, at least not for any appreciable length of time.

So good on ya man.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I quit for two months, then started again, now I'm cutting back.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Now I'm going to smoke twice as hard

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    never gonna smoke any tobaccy

• redheadredhead Registered User regular
    i basically shove lit cigarettes in all my holes

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I smoke cigars sometimes

never cigarettes

CYpGAPn.png
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    MD wrote:
    The only worry that I have is, did I take too long to quit?

yeah, rip

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    it turns out

you're already dead

also the phone call was coming from inside your house

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    it's like, do i currently have a hole with fewer than three lit cigarettes in it? ok, then, someone has been slacking. this will not do.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    redhead wrote:
    it's like, do i currently have a hole with fewer than three lit cigarettes in it? ok, then, someone has been slacking. this will not do.

i take it that pores count

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Saw where cigarettes were not.

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    oh, i was about to say

"congrats on the abortion!"

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    nice 'bort!

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    FACT: Hitler, Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein (in fact, EVERY terrible person who ever lived!) were all unaborted babies!

broken image link
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    I smoke cigars sometimes

never cigarettes

"I've seen you smoke."

"I don't smoke cigarettes."

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I quit right after I met my wife six years ago but I recently took up pipe smoking. I only smoke it about once or twice a week though so I figure that's not as bad as the pack a day I used to smoke. I don't know, I'm still deciding if I like it or not.

JtgVX0H.png
    I hate the feeling of inhaling smoke.

broken image link
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    weed smoke feels far nicer on the lungs than cigarette smoke to me

I mean, if you've never smoked anything, you're going to cough and complain either way, but that's because dudes really probably shouldn't be inhaling smoke anyway

still, if I had to pick between the two

I'd grab the joint over the spliff any day

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I don't dig on cigarettes because I enjoy smelling good.

Like I bought this soap/shampoo/bubble bath

tumblr_lsbou9nyJh1qiuqk1o1_500.jpg

I never don't smell fantastic.

lfYVHTd.png
    I like the taste of swishers but yeah they make your clothes smell like shit forever after

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    weed smoke feels far nicer on the lungs than cigarette smoke to me

I mean, if you've never smoked anything, you're going to cough and complain either way, but that's because dudes really probably shouldn't be inhaling smoke anyway

still, if I had to pick between the two

I'd grab the joint over the spliff any day

I have actually only had weed smoke.

It's not for me.

broken image link
    that's okay too!

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    wait no I mean how dare you not enjoy something I enjoy!!!

or something

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Also how dare you enjoy something I don't enjoy!!!

broken image link
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    never smoke

or drink alcohol

or do drugs

or you will die and go to hell

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I really really really do not enjoy being drunk.

I enjoy whiskey and scotch and being buzzed is cool.

But just flat out drunk, no, I do not enjoy.

I do not enjoy not feeling in control. Which is why when I drop acid, it's going to be with my dad, because he is going to make tea and walk me through it. Because he knows and respects psychadelics and taught me they are very much not recreational substances.

lfYVHTd.png
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    The most disgusting thing about smokers is how they just throw the butts where ever they fucking please. Not all smokers sure, but I see a lot of different people do it. Or do I just live in a terrible place.

Nangs are fun.

broken image link
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    eat right, exercise, don't drink

• TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My parents are in the process of quitting.

I am still worried about my dad though, because he's still an almost a pack a day smoker.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I quit last year but every now and then I'll get really drunk and smoke a cigarette every few months or so. I've been stopping myself from this lately though which is good. However if ever me or my best friend have a celebration we'll smoke a cigar each.

Yeah my mom smokes a lot of cigarettes. It why I started doing my own laundry.

I worry about her a lot.

Also my grandma just got diagnosed with lymphoma and she smokes all the time and it's like

Dang.

Also, my grandma works with a lady who has a daughter with leukemia. One time there was a stretch where she didn't need any treatment for a while, so she got to come over for a birthday party

All the adults were smoking, and she ran over to them and they raised their cigarettes to the sky, embarrassed, so she didn't have to breathe in smoke

To which her mother called out "It's okay! She already has cancer."

lfYVHTd.png
    I really really really do not enjoy being drunk.

I enjoy whiskey and scotch and being buzzed is cool.

But just flat out drunk, no, I do not enjoy.

I do not enjoy not feeling in control. Which is why when I drop acid, it's going to be with my dad, because he is going to make tea and walk me through it. Because he knows and respects psychadelics and taught me they are very much not recreational substances.

I sort of like being shit faced sometimes

I'm pretty good at keeping control of myself when removed from my regular state of mind though

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited September 2011
    E: a double post

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg