Lines, Lines, Lines

CondorCondor Registered User
edited May 2006 in PAX Archive
Ok, you might have known that this is my first PAX.

I've heard that the lines are legendary. My question is, how bad are the lines for Pre-Regs and what kind of lines do I expect once in PAX?

"Don't make me come down there!" ~ God
Condor on

Posts

  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    cocaine.jpg

    Edit: Actually, they are supposed to be much better this year, from what I've heard, as you can actually pre-register for events by getting tickets ahead of time. I went the first year, and never would have seen Rooster Teeth's production if I hadn't cut in line. The thing had easily 2000 people in it, and room in the hall for a few hundred.

    Rankenphile on
  • LegacyLegacy SCP Of The Digital Frontier The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    The pre-register line to get in is crazy, but that dissipates quickly when the show opens. And it's only crazy because of people like me who want to be there first, so they get there like two hours before it opens... :| I think the first people there last year got there at like 7am or something. And it didn't open until much, much later...

    And I hope to god they change how it was from last year and open the exhibition hall up when PAX itself opens on the second day. Either that or they're going to have a huge line lined up inside like last year for an hour. :|

    I mean...it's nice that Pre-Regs get in an hour early...but if there's not much to do other than console freeplay for that hour...what's the point?

    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    The pre-register line to get in is crazy, but that dissipates quickly when the show opens. And it's only crazy because of people like me who want to be there first, so they get there like two hours before it opens... :| I think the first people there last year got there at like 7am or something. And it didn't open until much, much later...

    And I hope to god they change how it was from last year and open the exhibition hall up when PAX itself opens on the second day. Either that or they're going to have a huge line lined up inside like last year for an hour. :|

    I mean...it's nice that Pre-Regs get in an hour early...but if there's not much to do other than console freeplay for that hour...what's the point?

    The way to do it is to find someone at the front of the line and make friends with them.

    :winky: Hey Legacy...

    Trillian on

    They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    The pre-register line to get in is crazy, but that dissipates quickly when the show opens. And it's only crazy because of people like me who want to be there first, so they get there like two hours before it opens... :| I think the first people there last year got there at like 7am or something. And it didn't open until much, much later...

    And I hope to god they change how it was from last year and open the exhibition hall up when PAX itself opens on the second day. Either that or they're going to have a huge line lined up inside like last year for an hour. :|

    I mean...it's nice that Pre-Regs get in an hour early...but if there's not much to do other than console freeplay for that hour...what's the point?

    The way to do it is to find someone at the front of the line and make friends with them.

    :winky: Hey Legacy...

    Hey Legacy...

    Edit: to contribute to the topic at hand, I don't think there was a single line that you had to stand in to get in to anything. The lines quickly evaporated after whatever it was had been open for just a few minutes.

    Doc on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User
    edited May 2006
    Hey, Doc :winky:

    ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • LegacyLegacy SCP Of The Digital Frontier The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Edit: to contribute to the topic at hand, I don't think there was a single line that you had to stand in to get in to anything. The lines quickly evaporated after whatever it was had been open for just a few minutes.

    Yeah. You only HAVE to stand in line if you want to be first in there or something.

    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Well I have the patience and gadgets to wait in line for a long time so that's probably what I'll be doing.

    I mean I waited in line for 5 hrs to go on Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point.

    Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    first people there at 7 A.M. eh? hmmm, i'll have to get there really early. at least i'll have my ds... i think i can wait in a line for 5 and a half hours... 8) and that way i can be first in line to the prereg room on saturday too...

    Nephirij on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    Relativiox wrote:
    Well I have the patience and gadgets to wait in line for a long time so that's probably what I'll be doing.

    I mean I waited in line for 5 hrs to go on Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point.

    I ignored that line at Cedar Point because all the rest of the lines were less than an hour long, thanks to people like you who wanted to go on a coaster that kept breaking down (and only lasts 17 seconds)

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    In my experience, the lineup for pre-reges starts up fairly early every day. Moreso on the days where coming early netted you concert wristbands. If you're not doing that, showing up 20 or 30 minutes post opening for pre-reges means you can walk in the door without any line at all, while all the non-pre-reg people glare at you from their line.

    Entriech on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Entriech wrote:
    Moreso on the days where coming early netted you concert wristbands.

    Even then, I have not yet heard of one person that wanted to go to the concert but couldn't because they didn't have a wristband. More were always available throughout the day.

    Doc on
  • flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Entriech wrote:
    Moreso on the days where coming early netted you concert wristbands.

    Even then, I have not yet heard of one person that wanted to go to the concert but couldn't because they didn't have a wristband. More were always available throughout the day.
    Yeah nearly a 1/3 were saved to hand out over the course of the day at set times. Lat year being first-ish in line netted you free Bawls mints & other swag we (the enforcers) happened to have on hand when we would go out to check on everyone.

    flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • CondorCondor Registered User
    edited May 2006
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    Condor on
    "Don't make me come down there!" ~ God
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    No, the division of swag was pretty much uniform. Unless you went to the Turbine bar party, which had no line to get in. Then your portion of swag included much more alcohol than the average.

    Doc on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    There's also the Pre-PAX dinner and movie on Thursday night

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    No, the division of swag was pretty much uniform. Unless you went to the Turbine bar party, which had no line to get in. Then your portion of swag included much more alcohol than the average.

    I loved going to the Turbine party, because it felt like a company spent money on me. It made me feel warm, and fuzzy, like a high class hooker.

    Entriech on
  • MrPulsarMrPulsar Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    cocaine.jpg

    Edit: Actually, they are supposed to be much better this year, from what I've heard, as you can actually pre-register for events by getting tickets ahead of time. I went the first year, and never would have seen Rooster Teeth's production if I hadn't cut in line. The thing had easily 2000 people in it, and room in the hall for a few hundred.

    Funny thing: I actually sat in the theater about 30 minutes before RT Productions started.

    I find the best way, as always, is to get there ridiculously early as long as you aren't missing anything else.

    MrPulsar on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    No, the division of swag was pretty much uniform. Unless you had breasts. Then your portion of swag included much more alcohol than the average.

    Trillian on

    They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    MrPulsar wrote:
    Funny thing: I actually sat in the theater about 30 minutes before RT Productions started.

    I find the best way, as always, is to get there ridiculously early as long as you aren't missing anything else.

    I did the same thing and Gus and Geoff were sitting right behind me. I got them to sign my RvB DVDs... that was cool.

    contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • tannintannin Registered User
    edited May 2006
    Entriech wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    No, the division of swag was pretty much uniform. Unless you went to the Turbine bar party, which had no line to get in. Then your portion of swag included much more alcohol than the average.

    I loved going to the Turbine party, because it felt like a company spent money on me. It made me feel warm, and fuzzy, like a high class hooker.

    Having to repeatedly get more tickets for free booze (at least the gin was good) made sure it didn't actually feel classy though. You're effectively begging for more drinks.

    tannin on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    tannin wrote:
    Entriech wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    No, the division of swag was pretty much uniform. Unless you went to the Turbine bar party, which had no line to get in. Then your portion of swag included much more alcohol than the average.

    I loved going to the Turbine party, because it felt like a company spent money on me. It made me feel warm, and fuzzy, like a high class hooker.

    Having to repeatedly get more tickets for free booze (at least the gin was good) made sure it didn't actually feel classy though. You're effectively begging for more drinks.

    Hah, as I was walking into the party, about six guys walked out, all with tickets still in hand. I asked if they were going to use them, and they were not going to. I didn't have to worry about tickets for the rest of the night. :D

    Doc on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Doc wrote:
    tannin wrote:
    Entriech wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    No, the division of swag was pretty much uniform. Unless you went to the Turbine bar party, which had no line to get in. Then your portion of swag included much more alcohol than the average.

    I loved going to the Turbine party, because it felt like a company spent money on me. It made me feel warm, and fuzzy, like a high class hooker.

    Having to repeatedly get more tickets for free booze (at least the gin was good) made sure it didn't actually feel classy though. You're effectively begging for more drinks.

    Hah, as I was walking into the party, about six guys walked out, all with tickets still in hand. I asked if they were going to use them, and they were not going to. I didn't have to worry about tickets for the rest of the night. :D

    So from then on there was a drunken bald-headed giant meandering about...

    Trillian on

    They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    tannin wrote:
    Entriech wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    No, the division of swag was pretty much uniform. Unless you went to the Turbine bar party, which had no line to get in. Then your portion of swag included much more alcohol than the average.

    I loved going to the Turbine party, because it felt like a company spent money on me. It made me feel warm, and fuzzy, like a high class hooker.

    Having to repeatedly get more tickets for free booze (at least the gin was good) made sure it didn't actually feel classy though. You're effectively begging for more drinks.

    Hah, as I was walking into the party, about six guys walked out, all with tickets still in hand. I asked if they were going to use them, and they were not going to. I didn't have to worry about tickets for the rest of the night. :D

    So from then on there was a drunken bald-headed giant meandering about...

    Now he's part of a team. An elite squadron of drunken warriors known as Team Male Call. Package Delivered August 2006.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    Trillian wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    tannin wrote:
    Entriech wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Condor wrote:
    Besides wristbands and bragging rights, is there a benefit to going in first or pretty much first?

    Like, more free swag for the first 100 people or what?

    No, the division of swag was pretty much uniform. Unless you went to the Turbine bar party, which had no line to get in. Then your portion of swag included much more alcohol than the average.

    I loved going to the Turbine party, because it felt like a company spent money on me. It made me feel warm, and fuzzy, like a high class hooker.

    Having to repeatedly get more tickets for free booze (at least the gin was good) made sure it didn't actually feel classy though. You're effectively begging for more drinks.

    Hah, as I was walking into the party, about six guys walked out, all with tickets still in hand. I asked if they were going to use them, and they were not going to. I didn't have to worry about tickets for the rest of the night. :D

    So from then on there was a drunken bald-headed giant meandering about...

    Now he's part of a team. An elite squadron of drunken warriors known as Team Male Call. Package Delivered August 2006.

    Are we doing this? I'm down.

    Doc on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA
    edited May 2006
    I didn't stand in a single line at PAX05. Not a single one.

    And I didn't miss a damn thing. Not a damn thing.

    apotheos on


    猿も木から落ちる
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    The lines mean nothing, jerk-offs always, ALWAYS cut line at the front.

    That or some people will pretend they're all important, and just shove anyone aside in their way.

    But I get in before anyone else before joining the line, since I'll personally escort my PC inside...

    leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    leaf wrote:
    The lines mean nothing, jerk-offs always, ALWAYS cut line at the front.

    Hi.

    Doc on
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Hi.


    lol




    I have to say there was confusion over the wrist bands. At first we where told that only those with bands would be allowed into the concerts at the end of each night but it did not seem like there was any sort of checks on who had them. The only line I waited in last year was to get into PAX on opening and I think the only ones waiting where all the pre registers.

    But you know something as much as I despise having to wait for anything (and waiting for August to show up is torture on a whole new level) waiting for the doors to open to PAX was not so bad. Think this was due to the fact that hanging out with new friends and meeting even more kewl people made the time pass so much faster as well as a great way to start the event. It would even be possible to think of the waiting in line as part of PAX and time to get in some Mario Cart ownage or head shot that guy a few people in front of ya if nothing else. Or learn a new card game or create a ad hoc D&D campaign with 20 of your new friends whom you just meet due to them being in the same line.

    So here is to the occasional line and the fun to be had.

    Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    This was the line for day-of registrants
    PDR_0082.jpg
    PDR_0080.jpg
    PDR_0050.jpg

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Hey, I know that guy ^^

    Trillian on

    They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • superjoesuperjoe Registered User
    edited May 2006
    That line is Khoo's way of punishing you for not pre-registering.

    superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, Administrator, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited May 2006
    sup3rj0e wrote:
    That line is Khoo's way of punishing you for not pre-registering.

    Yes.

    Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • LegacyLegacy SCP Of The Digital Frontier The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Khoo, can you guys at least open up the Exhibition hall when the doors open for Pre-Reg on the second day this year? :|

    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Now this is a line at PAX.

    Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Dyrwen66 wrote:
    Now this is a line at PAX.

    Even that line was gone ~5 minutes after the doors opened.

    Doc on
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Good to know. Least I'll plan not to bring sunblock, being pre-reg'd and all.

    Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • LegacyLegacy SCP Of The Digital Frontier The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Dyrwen66 wrote:
    Now this is a line at PAX.

    Even that line was gone ~5 minutes after the doors opened.

    Yes, but that line was forming for a good four hours before the doors opened, if not longer.

    We're impatient bastards.

    Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Dyrwen66 wrote:
    Good to know. Least I'll plan not to bring sunblock, being pre-reg'd and all.

    It went quickly after the doors opened. The line had been forming for hours, though.

    Doc on
Sign In or Register to comment.