As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PATV streaming extremely slow

NicodemisNicodemis Registered User new member
The buffer time is slower than the actual play time of the video, which forces it to constantly hiccup. I've been watching PATV since its conception and have never had these issues before, and I don't have video streaming issues on any other site, so it's not the router/modem. And, yes, I've tested the load times at peak/off-peak, and on multiple different days.

Anybody else getting this problem as well?

Nicodemis on

• thatsnotmethatsnotme Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    God yes, it's terrible for me. I'm sitting here watching Windows Resource Monitor while streaming, and I'm lucky if I occassionally get 100Kb/sec going to PATV - nothing else is downloading at the same time, so I've got plenty of bandwidth to spare.

Seems like either the streaming server isn't coping, or outgoing bandwidth is being limited. Kinda sucks having to leave the session buffering for 45 minutes to watch a 10 minutes episode :(

thatsnotme on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    turn off hd

redfenix on
  • thatsnotmethatsnotme Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    redfenix wrote: »
    turn off hd

Already have...even with it off, when the stream slows down, it doesn't buffer fast enough to keep up with the vision.

thatsnotme on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have to refresh sometimes to even be able to turn off HD. Most so far was six times.

Still don't know why HD is the default when the majority of internet users across the globe do not have access to either high-speed bandwidth or usage limits which allow the streaming of a file which is usually more than double the size of the SD encode.

Falx on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I also find the video player to be abnormally slow.

jackisreal on
  • FlyingFishFlyingFish Registered User new member
    Same issue here. I'm noticing similar problems with other Blip.tv videos when they're embedded in other pages (e.g. Achievement Hunter on the Rooster Teeth website); when I load the video direct on Blip.tv, it runs fine. Unfortunately, PATV insists I use their embedded page.

• Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    redfenix wrote:
    turn off hd

I'm embarrassed by how long I went without realizing you could do this.

• FlyingFishFlyingFish Registered User new member
    FlyingFish wrote:
    Same issue here. I'm noticing similar problems with other Blip.tv videos when they're embedded in other pages (e.g. Achievement Hunter on the Rooster Teeth website); when I load the video direct on Blip.tv, it runs fine. Unfortunately, PATV insists I use their embedded page.
    Hm, seems to have cleared up on its own? At least for me. Wish it hadn't taken two weeks.