As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firefox mouse scroll 'issue'

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Can't seem to find this via Google, so here goes:

Basically Firefox used to scroll up/down one exact 'page' at a time when I moved my mouse wheel. Now it moves down something akin to 1.25 pages, which means there's a substantial part of (let's say) posts that I miss as it skips right over them. For some reason this only seemed to happen when I updated Firefox to (I think) 6. Any way to fix this as it kind of defeats the purpose of scrolling with a mouse wheel if I have to manually go back to see the stuff I missed.

Magus` on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    I don't know the fix to your problem, but I use this to scroll in Firefox. Its brilliant.
    http://marc.boullet.pagesperso-orange.fr/ext/extensions-en.html

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Doesn't work with 7, which is what I have due to auto-update. I'll keep it handy though for when it updates.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Wow, you know, I could tell you exactly where to find that option in SeaMonkey (based off the latest Firefox version, was originally just named "Mozilla"), but when I went to find it in Firefox, sure enough, they don't have that option. Well, if you don't mind it being the default setting for anything ELSE you scroll in, you can go to Control Panel > Mouse in Windows itself (I'm guessing you're on Windows) and set it to scroll there.

If you WOULD like to use that extension Skoal Cat linked, there's actually a preference you can set to allow what Firefox thinks are "incompatible" addons to function-- but you need to insert it every single time there's a version update (for example, if 7.0 goes to 7.1). Go to about:config in Firefox and right-click, then select New > Boolean. Type in "extensions.checkCompatibility.7.0" (without the quotes) and set it to "false". 7.0 is the current version number, which is what would need to be updated when Firefox updates. Basically what will happen is that if you go into your extensions menu, Firefox will tell you that you MIGHT have incompatible addons installed, but any extension that is "incompatible" with the newest version (and would normally be automatically disabled) will probably still work just fine now that Firefox lets you install them. Really all that happens with 90% of these extensions is that they haven't updated that ONE LINE in their code to say it works with the newest version, and really nothing has changed to negatively affect anyone who uses the extension. I'm betting that scrolling hasn't changed much since whenever that person last updated their addon (very very little has changed with the core of Firefox recently; they're just releasing faster lately), so this should be totally safe. Worst-case scenario, it doesn't work right and you can uninstall the addon, then set that preference back to "true".

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I am definitely using that extension with 7 and did not go through the hullabaloo described above. I may have just linked to an out of date extension.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/scrollbar-anywhere/

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Thanks Skoal, that worked. It'll take awhile to get used to, but hey, all things in time.

Thanks also, Essee.

• Options
    Oh, just FYI, I have noticed the mouse scroll going more than a page is ONLY on these forums. On other forums it goes exactly one page per mouse wheel 'turn'.

Not sure if that's a Vanilla bug.