As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

OghulkOghulk Tinychat JanitorTinychatRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Social Entropy++
dark-souls.jpg

The followup to one of the best games of 2009 is here, and it's hard as fuck.

Trailers:
Reviews:
IGN - http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1197278p1.html
Gamespot -- http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dark-souls/video/6337762?tag=topslot;title;1

Gameplay videos:
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dark-souls/17-4966/

Soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDsSxLU0I8&feature=related

Post your handle if you want to be added to this list.
People getting this fantastic game (forum name/XBL/PSN tag:
PS3:
Oghulk -- CrazyDemonBunny
VALVEjunkie=VALVeJunky
cj iwakura = cj_iwakura
vermiculture
Virgil_Leads_You -- L4ST_L3VI4TH4N
X360:

news_dark_souls_bartholomew_trailer-11780.jpg

Good Luck

Stat Breakdown thanks to the G&T thread
Because I’m bored at work, I thought I might do a stat guide for the OP?

Humanity: Occasionally obtained from defeating enemies, that number to the left of your health/stamina bar. Used to return to human form (to summon others), kindle bonfires (5 more estus flasks), increases item drop rates (cap at 20), increases “Chaos” damage (cap at 10), used for raising allegiance with some covenants.

Endurance: Increases stamina and maximum equip burden. Stamina is used for attacking, blocking, sprinting and rolling – basically everything. Equip burden determines what gear you can use and how mobile you are. Under 25% of your max burden and you can roll freely. Under 50% and your movement speed and roll are slower, but workable. Under 100% and you’re much slower and roll heavily with a long animation to get up. Over 100% and you plod ridiculously slowly and can’t roll at all.
40: The stamina cap, and therefore the only number worth mentioning.

Attunement: Determines how many spell slots you have for all sorceries, miracles and pyromancies.
10/12/14/16/19/23/28/34/41/50: 1-10 spell slots. (6 or 7 is probably enough for anyone.)

Vitality: Your health 8->
30-50: Enough to let you take a few hits in PvP and NG+.

The following stats suffer greatly from diminishing returns past 40, but I’ll jot down any reason to go past it for completion’s sake.

Strength: Determines whether or not you can swing a weapon or use a shield effectively, as well as increasing damage with weapons that scale with it.
16: Claymore, Zweihander (two handed), Eagle Shield, Black Knight Shield. The go-to value for non-strength builds.
27: Optimal benefit for using weapons two-handed, lets you use anything that might benefit from both strength and dexterity (28 for the Murakumo one handed).
40: Optimal benefit for using strength weapons in one hand, can one hand anything worthwhile and two hand everything else.
(51/58/66): Every shield/one hand every weapon/max possible damage two handing (For the love of God, don’t go this high >.>).

Dexterity: Increases damage for weapons that scale with it, slightly increases casting speed.
18: Lets you use all Black Knight weapons and crossbows.
24: Covers every weapon that has a dexterity requirement to wield at all.
40: Optimal benefit from dexterity weapons.
(45): Max casting speed (not worth it).

Magic: Requirement for sorceries, increases damage for sorceries and weapons that scale with it (Magic/Enchanted).
10: Let’s you buy spells from the vendor at Firelink and Logan at the Archives, can use some basic utility spells.
12/16: Lets you use the best Catalyst for non casters/ more advanced utility spells (Resist Curse/Poison, Cast Light, Great Magic Weapon/Shield).
25/32: Crystal Magic Weapon/Tin Crystallisation Catalyst and 5 orbs with the Soul mass spells.
44: Crystal Soul Spear sorcery.
(50): White Dragon Breath sorcery (not really worth it).

Faith: Increases magic defence, requirement for miracles, increases damage for miracles and weapons that scale with it (Blessed/Occult).
18: Emit Force and Homeward utility miracles.
28/30: Wrath of God miracle/Darkmoon and Sunlight Blade weapon buffs.
40: Optimal benefit from faith scaling.
(50): Sunlight Spear (nifty knockback, but takes up two slots with just 5 uses. Not really worth it).

Resistance: Joke stat, disregard. (Increases poison resistance, and increases defence slightly faster than other stats).

Poise: The most important stat on your armour. Higher poise means that you won’t get staggered when you’re hit by heavier attacks, which is particularly useful in PvP.
40: One hit from most one-handed weapons.
55: One hit from larger weapons (notably the Claymore and its ilk).
76: One hit from very large weapons, eg. Black Knight Greataxe and Zweihander.

Oghulk on

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    perhaps we should get the name of the game right before we post the thread

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I want this game.

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I will change the title of the giant bomb thread if you incorporate "Death, Actually" into this title

Somestickguy on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote:

was a joke

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    dammit I was just about to make this thread
    that's been happening a lot recently

that said I am pppuuuuuumped

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will be a PC port. This sounds like the kind of game that could do decently well on the PC.

Either way, thumbs up to a company for doing something unique for once.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm probably going to rent this at the very least. I may end up buying it, but I dunno, I bought Demon's Souls and ended up trading that in fairly quick. Though to be fair, I never actually tried to play that game very well.

I highly doubt there'll be a PC port

actually I have no reasons really to doubt it, but it just doesn't seem like something FROM SOFTWARE or Atlus will do

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Moriveth wrote:
    I'm probably going to rent this at the very least. I may end up buying it, but I dunno, I bought Demon's Souls and ended up trading that in fairly quick. Though to be fair, I never actually tried to play that game very well.

Demons souls was, at least for me, a game that demanded you know how to play it well and or learn while dying. I think it took me 4 hours to get through the first level, but even though it was incredibly hard I never had a death where I felt was the games fault, it was always a mistake on my part or something that I could improve on.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    PS3
    VALVEjunkie=VALVeJunky

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    so fucking excited you guys

ultimakay wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

Demons souls was, at least for me, a game that demanded you know how to play it well and or learn while dying. I think it took me 4 hours to get through the first level, but even though it was incredibly hard I never had a death where I felt was the games fault, it was always a mistake on my part or something that I could improve on.

Oh yeah, definitely, the main thing I've heard about these games is that when you die, it's always because of something you did and not a cheap shot by the game.

I have 1-1 memorized to a pretty decent extent, barring a few item drops that you only get at the beginning of a playthrough. My memory has gotten worse because I haven't played in about a year, but at one point I could even tell you specific enemy placements relative to doors and how to counter every trap.

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    ultimakay wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

Oh yeah, definitely, the main thing I've heard about these games is that when you die, it's always because of something you did and not a cheap shot by the game.

That or a dragon swooping in from nowhere

There are a few sections that are pretty cheap, namely 5-2. Fuck 5-2 so hard. Also, 5-3 is pretty ludicrous without major cheesing.

Demon Souls is only on PS3 right? I seem to recall wanting to play it but not having a PS3.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    Demon Souls is only on PS3 right? I seem to recall wanting to play it but not having a PS3.

Yeah, Demon Souls is PS3 exclusive whereas Dark Souls is on both the PS3 and 360.

JtgVX0H.png
    Yeah. Dark Souls is PS3 and 360, though!

Yeah, I might rent it! I'm kind of broke so sadly I can't provide the company with more money, but I'd like to see them succeed. Also I haven't a good hard game (that isn't fake hard) in a long time.

Last time I pushed myself, I think, was finishing God of War II on Titan difficulty.

I had a few pretty good kills in multiplayer.
    Once I faked out a guy by acting like a mage (my main character was a battlemage) while fighting a mage. He countered me with anti-magic field. In the time it took him to do that, I came around the corner, rolled past his homing soul arrow sprays (not an easy thing on the 1-2 walkways) and axed him.
    I should note here that the sole weapon I used besides an enhanced longbow was the axe I spawned with, raised to Quality level. Not the most efficient weapon but damn I learned to love it.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    @DHS ODIUM thread

I'll probably end up renting this for the 360.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote:
    YaYa wrote:

was a joke

idgi

BahamutZERO.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

Good luck even scratching the surface.

I'll be there day 1. PSN: cj_iwakura

wVEsyIc.png
    Yeah, I doubt I'll get far.

Got Gamefly? I'm sure you can make it decently far with that!

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I wanna play this game, alright.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

Good luck even scratching the surface.

I'll be there day 1. PSN: cj_iwakura

me tooooooo I'll see you on there cj!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I really have to go back and beat Demon's Souls. World 5 can really go suck a dick, though. There's literally nothing enjoyable about it.

A duck! wrote:
    I really have to go back and beat Demon's Souls. World 5 can really go suck a dick, though. There's literally nothing enjoyable about it.

But what about all the poison? And swamp? And giant troll men?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A duck! wrote:

I'd rather go through ten miles of 2-1 hearing nothing but those bells than play 5.

Magus` wrote:
    Got Gamefly? I'm sure you can make it decently far with that!

Yeah, but both Gamefly games I get are already here. There's no way I'd get it in time before everyone that wants it gets a copy and the availability drops to 'low'.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

I'd rather go through ten miles of 2-1 hearing nothing but those bells than play 5.

It's much easier when you get a friend.

And/or become an archer. Seriously, Viscuous Bow + 5 breaks that place wide open. (Also, turn the brightness up.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    ps3 vermiculture

VERY EXCITED

steam id: vermiculture
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I'd like try a Sorcerer.

Whether that involves having to hide behind a shield the entire time, is something I'm worried about.

edited September 2011
    Shield? Mages don't need shields.

I like the tone of that second trailer, but the Bartholemew one was amazing.

Oh my god
    Please help me

Those six words summarize Dark Souls in a nutshell.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    I'm thinking I might go warrior to start off with, decent dex and strength

A duck! wrote:
    A duck! wrote:

hahaha I know exactly what you mean

BahamutZERO.gif
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    I missed out on Demons Souls but I'm not missing out on this.

preorder from Newegg is go. I am kinda considering the hardcover strategy guide as well, cos it looks gorgeous.

This discussion has been closed.