As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me thread Eleanor Roosevelt's sewing machine

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've acquired a very sturdy looking sewing machine. It's called a Dressmaster. It's cast iron, and it seems a lot like my mom's Singer with the rocking foot thing replaced with an electric motor that spins a rubber wheel against the main drive wheel. The instructions are long gone and I can't figure out how to thread it. I ran the thread along what I thought was the most obvious path, but it started to bind and while it made the appearance of sewing, the stitches weren't actually stitched. Plus, the thread clumped up on the underside. The bobbin seemed slightly more straight forward, and I saw what appears to be a rudimentary arrow telling me which way to wind it, so I think that part is correct.

Here are some pictures. I don't have any pictures of the bobbin because it is small and shiny, but I might be able to take some if anyone thinks that will help.

Sewing1.jpg
Sewing2.jpg
450px-Sewing3.jpg
450px-Sewing4.jpg

EDIT- Here's how I basically threaded it. I kind of feel like the thread should go down the part I marked in green at some point, but I have no idea how it would get there.

Sewing5.jpg

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    You're really close

The thread needs to go all the way down the side of the machine to the little silver loop (you can see it in the fourth photo) before coming back up and through the eye on the brass arm and then down to the hoop above the needle (no pic but I'm assuming it's there) and then down through the needle eye from front to back

Have you had it serviced?

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    Thanks! I couldn't get the thread to pick up from the bobbin for some reason, but eventually I got it. It seems to be working now.

I haven't had it serviced. If I can get it to basically work that's all I really need. I'm only going to be sewing curtains and making bags and stuff. Nothing too complicated.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the thing. In order for the (very old) internal parts to keep working, you'll need to have it serviced every once in a while. And let me tell you from personal experience, it's WAY cheaper to do preventative maintenance than to pay to have it fixed when something breaks. Especially since the age of that machine makes it highly unlikely replacement parts are readily available.

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Its beautiful! Have you worked out yet how to get thread on the spool yet? If not, you need to put an empty spool on the thing on the right below the wheel that turns round, and push it into place (after you've threaded some thread onto it from the bobbin) I've tried to explain it slightly better here:

[img][/img]sewing1b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also found http://www.sewusa.com/ web site, it may help, but then again, it might not...

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."