As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking To Learn French Via Digital Download

MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, basically, I'll be spending the next four months in France and I don't want to look like a jive-turkey. I want to find some digital download program because I'll be living out of a hotel and fuck shipping stuff internationally (I'm leaving tonight, too). I figured Rosetta Stone was a sure bet, but their online program still needs something shipped? I don't know. Fuck Rosetta Stone.

Could I get some recommendations?

Maverikk on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    It's not really software but I find the pimsleur system worked really well for me with German.

Can't speak for their french since I had to attend french schools so I kind of picked it up there ;).

But any language system that both tells you how to hit on people and hammers in the way to realize you are being rejected can't be all bad.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Rosetta Stone is really overpriced for the amount of content you end up getting. Earlier this month I bought a German language program from a company called transparent languages. I know they have french available and you can get the "premium edition" of their (downloadable) language software for approx. $70-80 depending on what kind of promotional stuff they have going on. I would probably recommend them since it has a combination of price, content, and convenience.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Try using Memrise.com and Livemocha.com if you have internet access.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I love French in Action, which is free to stream online, but you can't download it to your computer.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    I'm not saying don't try to learn the language, but a lot of French folk speak decent English (at least assuming you're in something that can be considered a city). So even if you don't learn a lot, you should be fine.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    My mom and I have been buying Transparent Language software for years... I think it's pretty good. Considering the price difference, I think their stuff is likely a MUCH better deal than Rosetta Stone will ever be, and they have deals going all the time to save you money as well (like about a week ago they had a deal for $20 off their "premium" edition). My mom gets their newsletter since the last time we bought something from them, and it mentions (in addition to those deals I was talking about) that they also have a 6-month money back guarantee, so if you're only gonna be there four months, you don't really have anything to lose, right? I mean, I don't know for sure whether that applies to the stuff you'd be able to download/use online, but it's worth looking into.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    I'm not saying don't try to learn the language, but a lot of French folk speak decent English (at least assuming you're in something that can be considered a city). So even if you don't learn a lot, you should be fine.

Yeah, but you want to learn the basic phrases.

When you go into any store, always says "Bonjour" (or Bonsoir, depending on the time of day) and when you leave always says goodbye.

• Options
    OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    No idea if it's available online without it getting shipped, but if you're only interested in speaking French, look up Michel Thomas. His stuff is amazing.

Over on