As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloody Roar 5] Old series rejoins the mix. {Update: Actually maybe not so much.}

DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does StuffYou Know, There. Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
I guess I'll make this one.

So, it would seem as of a few days ago, Hudson(publishers of the Bloody Roar series) announced that the 5th installment of the game is in development and slated for a 2012 release. Which they announced through a twitter feed in moonspeak so I won't post it, but you can find plenty of articles talking about it. Though they can't tell you more than I already have really.

It seems this based off the BR5 title that they had in the works but were forced to abandon when they had to close down their entertainment studios, but it looks like they got a backer on board.

As for the Bloody Roar series itself, it was never really meant to be as deep or strategical as most other fighting games, but it was fun to play and generally had a pretty cool gimmick with your character being able to transform into a "were"- animal or...in some cases like Xion whatever the fuck.

That being said, Eighting(the guys behind the series) have been working on other titles like TvC and MvC3 so maybe that experience will carry over if they're the ones still working on it.

Dragkonias on

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Bringing furries back to fighting games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Huh. You know, I quite liked Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, so... I guess I'll keep an out for this one. I thought the franchise was dead, to be honest.

I tended to play as Shina.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    It would be nice if they put some of that experience working with Capcom to good use.

Yugo and Bakuryu were my favorite characters

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    While the Bloody Roar games were never exactly great, they were pretty fun. Sometimes you want a mindless button masher where you can just push stuff and see neat flashy moves.

If some of this team have been working on higher-profile Capcom fighters, then it'll be interesting to see how that affects this game.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    They've been making really decent anime based fighters since the end of the bloody roar series. Hell the Naruto GNT line is more or less a better version of Bloody Roar.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Bloody Roar was always a guilty pleasure of mine.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    If this game ripped off Power Stone it would be perfectly alright.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Man, I want a new Power Stone so much.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    FINALLY! I was really, REALLY hoping this series would come back as part of this recent resurgence of fighting games. BR:Primal Fury is my second favorite fighting game after Soul Calibur 2 (I haven't played Capcom's newest offerings yet).

I know the stigma of furries is heavy with this, as is anything anthromoporhized, but honestly it was nice having a fighting game that wasn't overly complicated but still fun as hell to play. I love having multiple fighting styles/options in my fighting games - it was one of the things I loved about MK5. And no, those two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the first two way back before I was at all "into" fighting games

having played hundreds of hours of Street Fighter now, I'm curious about how deep the newest entry for this series will be.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I think I used to play, uh, Jenny the Bat?

Still, good to see it making a comeback.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote:

Yes please!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Hey, it wasn't given that Mortal Kombat would be anything close to as good as it was.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the fighting game Renaissance we're going through.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote:

Yes please!

Slightly OT in this thread (sorry) but isn't Anarchy Reigns looking set to be a multiplayer brawler in similar fashion to Power Stone?

Enjoyed Bloody Roar back in the day so I'm keen to see what this looks like.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I only played up to 3 myself. 4 changed a lot of stuff around and I thought it made the game worse for it.

So, I'm hoping they stick to the formula they had in 2/3 but put on a few more bells and whistles to make it more dynamic.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    I always liked the story of Bloody Roar, although it was a button mashy fighter.

It should easily beat out the crappy story mode and gameplay of the new Mortal Kombat.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    At least with Bloody Roar they have more room to modernize the gameplay, compared to something like Killer Instinct. All most people remember about the games is that you could turn into an animal. That's a gimmick that's really easy to work around.

Apparently there was a Bloody Roar project for xbl and psn that got cancelled a while back. Wonder if this new game will be a full retail release, or another budget title.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Yeah, Bloody Roar has always been trashy fun. I didn't really dig where they went with characters and mechanics as the series progressed, though. I play Bloody Roar because I can be a goofy loser that can transform into a werechameleon (or whatever). I don't give a shit about the girl whose "transformation" amounted to growing a red sword arm or any of the other characters that turned into weird robot aliens.

I hope they bring back Greg the gorilla guy, and that woman who turned into a warthog.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    So apparently the twitter account where the announcement was made is fake.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Wow, really? That's kind of a shame. Though it is pretty funny that a fake account was able to stir up a response like this.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Oh...that sucks. Sorry for getting people's hopes up, since I was pretty excited about this myself.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/10/03/bloody-roar-5-announcement-a-hoax/

Oh well, I guess.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    lol

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    wow and i was totally pumped and telling people about this

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    So was Primal Fury the fourth game? That's the only one I'm familiar with, on the Gamecube.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Well shit.

Hey, EVO guys? There's a market out here for this. Come on, someone do it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch