As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google Chrome vs Firefox

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
So I've been an avid Firefox user for several years now, but I'm seeing a lot of ads and such about Google Chrome. People seem to like it, so I'm looking to get more information out of it.

So a simple enough question: what does Google Chrome provide that Firefox with its thousands of apps does not?

This isn't meant to be a debate thread, I just want some honest feedback on whether or not it's worth moving to Chrome.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    well, the best thing I did for my Firefox install was clearing away ALL addons and history and bookmarks... It got so much faster and stable. And Chrome is even faster, in my limited experience.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Chrome is generally accepted to be the fastest browser around (ignoring the protests of Opera users, but those people are like crazy Morlocks. We're better off if we just pretend we don't hear them).

It also has excellent extension/userstyle/scripting support, and it's based on WebKit, which is a much more reliable rendering engine than Mozilla, in my opinion.

Firefox just seems to have gotten clunkier and more bloated with every revision, while Chrome gets faster and more streamlined.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    They both seem the same to me, though I think Firefox looks better. I don't have many addons or anything though. Some people have weird problems with Firefox though so try both and see what works better.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Chrome is generally accepted to be the fastest browser around (ignoring the protests of Opera users, but those people are like crazy Morlocks. We're better off if we just pretend we don't hear them).

It also has excellent extension/userstyle/scripting support, and it's based on WebKit, which is a much more reliable rendering engine than Mozilla, in my opinion.

Firefox just seems to have gotten clunkier and more bloated with every revision, while Chrome gets faster and more streamlined.
    I know it's trendy to make fun of Opera but you're not particularly correct about the speed thing and Opera is pretty much the best browser ever. I usually just urge people to try all 3 and see which they like more. I personally like Firefox a bit now that's it's sped up, although I really dislike having to track down extensions for everything. I like Chrome a lot but I dislike not being able to do everything. I like Opera more than both of them combined, because it does more than Chrome and about as much as Firefox, and it does it much faster than Firefox and often faster than Chrome.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I know it's trendy to make fun of Opera but you're not particularly correct about the speed thing and Opera is pretty much the best browser ever. I usually just urge people to try all 3 and see which they like more. I personally like Firefox a bit now that's it's sped up, although I really dislike having to track down extensions for everything. I like Chrome a lot but I dislike not being able to do everything. I like Opera more than both of them combined, because it does more than Chrome and about as much as Firefox, and it does it much faster than Firefox and often faster than Chrome.

I can't hear you, Morlock. :D

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So Chrome is preferred as a minimalistic browser? Thing is, I've been spoiled by all the Firefox add-ons, including Webmail Notifier, No Script, a customizable search bar, Paste and Go, and Last Pass, just to name a few.

Are there no Chrome equivalents for any of those?

edited September 2011
    So Chrome is preferred as a minimalistic browser? Thing is, I've been spoiled by all the Firefox add-ons, including Webmail Notifier, No Script, a customizable search bar, Paste and Go, and Last Pass, just to name a few.

No, Opera is preferred for the minimalistic browser. Opera has equivalents for Webmail Notifier and NoScript, it did customizable searches before everyone else and it has always done them better, it did Paste and Go before Firefox (although it doesn't do it better because there's only one way to do it), and it does password management fine.

Meanwhile, for Paste and Go in Chrome, just follow these simple instructions:
    You install AutoHotKey and then run the "ChromePastenGo.ahk" script file to add the "Paste and Go" hot key to Chrome. The script at that link uses Windows key+V as the hot key, but I used the text below instead to use Ctrl+Shift+V (personal preference). If you want to use Ctrl+Shift+V you can grab the text below and save it as "ChromePastenGo.ahk".

;<========= ChromePastenGo.ahk =========>
    ; Relevant blog post: http://www.howtotuts.com/2008/09/07/how-to-paste-and-go-in-chrome-using-keyboard/
    ; Author: Sridhar Katakam, Edited by: Wesley Hart
    ; ^ = Ctrl, ! = Alt, + = Shift, # = Win

#NoEnv
    #SingleInstance force

#IfWinActive ahk_class Chrome_XPFrame
    ^+v:: Send !d^v{Enter}
    ^!+v:: Send ^t!d^v{Enter}
    #IfWinActive
    ;</========= ChromePastenGo.ahk> =========>

So clearly Chrome is the winner here, because why bother with built-in Paste and Go when you can install a third party program and grab your own script from someone on the Internet? Heck, that's even better than Firefox, which only makes you download a single extension!

Snark aside, just try both. I didn't really understand why anyone would bother with Opera until I got curious one day, tried it, and realized that it did everything I wanted in a browser without fiddling around with extensions. In the rare case that something wasn't intuitive, I would just Google "X in Opera" where X is what I wanted to do, and the solution would usually pop up. In Firefox, the solution is generally an extension, and before long your browser is sucking up a gig of RAM and performing badly. In Chrome the solution is generally "Chrome doesn't really do that."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular

*snip*

So clearly Chrome is the winner here, because why bother with built-in Paste and Go when you can install a third party program and grab your own script from someone on the Internet? Heck, that's even better than Firefox, which only makes you download a single extension!
    Chrome has Paste and Go as a standard feature. By default if you right click in the address bar it'll default to "Paste and search", but if you have an address in your clipboard it'll be "Paste and go".

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Chrome has add-ons too, I'm pretty sure its got webmail + no script covered. In fact most major addons for Firefox now have their own thing for Chrome as well.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Used chrome as a main browser for a while, now I use Firefox 8 aurora, although I use both. Often simultaneously.

If you select [X] Don't load tabs until selected (general options) in FF8 aurora it will start up very quickly if you keep a lot of tabs open to restore like I do.
    What I prefer about FF is that I find it more stable, keeping stuff that I type in text fields even if the browser is closed or if I press the back button, more extensions etc.
    Chrome is a bit speedier in opening tabs/opening itself and has neat things like allowing extension installation without restarting the browser.

Firefox really improved over the past half year with the new speedy releases.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I still lean Firefox for a couple reasons:

I have some extensions I love (Echofone, AniWeather).

I vastly prefer Firefox's UI over Chrome's.

Barrakketh wrote:

*snip*

Chrome has Paste and Go as a standard feature. By default if you right click in the address bar it'll default to "Paste and search", but if you have an address in your clipboard it'll be "Paste and go".
    I'm not sure right clicking in the address bar is the sort of functionality we're talking about. Paste and go is useful because you can use a hotkey to do it.

• orionminusorionminus Registered User regular
    Oh man I haven't tried Chrome in months so I just installed the latest version.

SO GOOD.

It's so much faster than Firefox.

Oh Google, you may be taking over the world but if the world runs as fast as your web browser than I'm A-OKAY with that.

;3

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I use Chrome because it's so much faster than Firefox and I never have nor will I use any extensions or anything else so I'm not missing anything.

JtgVX0H.png
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    My default browser is Chrome with plug-ins and javascript disabled (via Under the Hood -> Content Settings, no add-ons/extensions necessary). I also install Chrome and configure it that way on systems I setup for friends, family and at the workplace. I may be missing out on some functionality/eye candy, but it hasn't really been an issue for me.

Alegis wrote:

If you select [X] Don't load tabs until selected (general options) in FF8 aurora it will start up very quickly if you keep a lot of tabs open to restore like I do.

This sounds incredibly useful, since I always have a handful of tabs open that I like to resume later. How do I enable this option?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    My browsing experience got a billion times better AFTER I removed all the addons and shit from Firefox.

And I hate using Opera. The interface is so awful
    and it can't eve control click right, screw you opera.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    My browsing experience got a billion times better AFTER I removed all the addons and shit from Firefox.

And I hate using Opera. The interface is so awful
    and it can't eve control click right, screw you opera.

Both of these statements are very true. I limit my extensions in FF/Chrome/Safari to little more than a dictionary, Stylish/Userscripts, and not much else.

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Adblock Plus was the killer app that brought me to Firefox and NoScript quickly followed. What's keeping me on FF now is the Sync feature. Find pages at work when my brain needs a break and read them at home or conversely find work related stuff at home and bookmark it in my work folders? Absolutely perfect.

Chrome is about the only thing that won't grind a netbook to a halt though. Firefox just chokes on my better half's netbook when sitting on Javascript heavy sites like Facebook and G+ all day. IE is better, but it's still a problem on those sites.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    I will add that I have yet to solve this problem I've been having with Google Instant (that thing where it opens up results as you're typing) on Firefox; it's very slow and hangs on each letter typed.

I haven't had this problem on IE or anything else, so I'm trying to figure out how to fix it on FF's end.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Speaking of Firefox, has 7 been weird for anyone? Maybe it's just these forums, but it feels stutter-y at times.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Two possible things could be happening there, Magus`.

A bunch of patches hit in 7 that improved memory management a lot. I don't know if those changes included more frequent garbage collects, but that could be one possible issue.

I believe 7 also got some DirectWrite patches, so in theory the interface should run smoother on graphics cards that support it. The changes made there might not be playing well with your graphics drivers.

I don't know for certain either of those are the issue; that's just what comes to mind. Also make sure it's not an issue with one of your extensions.

Frem on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I use Chrome.

- Super fast.
    - address bar searching
    - conjectural page loading
    - incognito browsing
    - no clutter

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Chrome has this lovely habit of crashing my tabs/crashing flash or silverlight or WHATEVER. But it doesn't do it constantly. For my general browser needs, I use it. For anything I'd like not to horribly crash on me at an inopportune moment... I use Firefox.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Woo, Opera thread! It does everything I want and it does it fast.

Sure, Firefox goes fast(ish) if you remove all the extensions, but then you're running a barely-functional shell of a browser. In which case, you're still better off using something else, IE9 included.

Edit: to be fair to Firefox, the jump from 3.5 to 4 made for a serious improvement. It just happened a couple of years too late.

Quake Matt on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Having used them all, I prefer chrome to both firefox and opera. Opera is a thing, sure, but in the grand scheme of web browsers it's more of a hobbyist super serious web browser than an accepted "everyone's using this" web browser.

The big 3 are going to have better compatibility on websites anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Chrome.

That is all.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm actually kind of shocked nobody has linked the most recent Tom's Hardare's Web Browser Grand Prix. That may answer alot of the questions you have, Snuggles.

TheCanMan on
    Still wondering how to enable my Firefox settings to only reload tabs one at a time when starting up.

Also still wondering if there's a way to fix the sluggishness of Google Instant.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote:
    I'm actually kind of shocked nobody has linked the most recent Tom's Hardare's Web Browser Grand Prix. That may answer alot of the questions you have, Snuggles.

IE is going to be an outlier on anything there simply because the windows shell is basically IE with some executable html pages (HTAs) thrown in there, so be weary of any results on IE to say the least.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited October 2011
    So I decided to give Chrome a try.

Yeah...I like it. I like it quite a bit. It's faster, has several of the big apps that Firefox had (like an all-in-one mail notifier), and I was able to find an extension for automatically playing YouTube at 1080p, something I could never pull off in Firefox. Even has an Xbox Live notifier, which should really come in handy.

There are a couple of major things missing though, most notably the search bar. I loved being able to type something and pick from a list of search extensions (Amazon, Wiki, etc). Chrome has extensions that install on the side, but that's a more cluttered alternative.

Also missing is the ability to customize this forum with its classic look with a user script.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    There are a couple of major things missing though, most notably the search bar. I loved being able to type something and pick from a list of search extensions (Amazon, Wiki, etc).
    That's actually not a problem. Once you've used the search feature of a site, you can access it from the address bar. Type in the address of the site ("amazon.com"), then hit tab. Then it'll say "Search amazon.com:" and you can enter whatever you're searching for.

Once you've used the address bar enough you usually only have to type a few characters for the site you're looking for to come up ("am" is enough for Amazon to come up, then I can hit tab to search or enter to go to the site).
    Also missing is the ability to customize this forum with its classic look with a user script.
    Userstyles should let you install what is basically a small Chrome extension that will style the site, and I believe there is a Stylish extension for Chrome.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    That's fairly neat, but it's still not as convenient as picking a place to search in two mouse clicks.

• AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Chrome is fast and purty. It's also free so there's no harm in trying it out for a week or so.

Azio on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's fairly neat, but it's still not as convenient as picking a place to search in two mouse clicks.

Click on this, then click on "install as user script" link in the green box.

Literally two clicks to make the new forums look more like the old ones.

Chrome.

Click on this, then click on "install as user script" link in the green box.

Literally two clicks to make the new forums look more like the old ones.

Chrome.

Thanks for that. Wasn't sure if user scripts worked with Chrome the same way. :^:

I still want the search bar from Firefox.

Also, is there a way to have re-opened websites auto-refreshed when reloading Chrome? This is something that bugged me with Firefox.

Couple of other issues/things I'd like to resolve, if possible:

1. Chrome doesn't seem to allow dragging pictures to a separate program (namely Photoshop); there's a Photoshop extension that seems like it would come in handy, but again, can't drag pictures to it.

2. When I download something, it displays the most recent download on the bottom screen until I close it. I'd prefer it didn't show this pop-up at all.

3. Is there a way to customize the toolbar so that the tabs and the address bar switch places (in other words, tabs are at the bottom, address bar at top)?

4. Does Chrome have a group tabs feature like Firefox?

5. In Wordpress, I can't seem to resize an image by manually dragging it like on Firefox.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    These are the extensions I use in Chrome.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I am a minimalist when it comes to browsers. The only extension I install is lastpass and that is recent. I use chrome just because I like the UI more than Firefox and Opera. I used Firefox through 3.5 and then switched to Chrome. I download and try out other browsers from time to time but nothing has caused me to switch yet.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    I've recently swapped over to Chrome and i'm generally finding it a better experience. Not only does it seem quicker to respond, the UI is minimal and the process space it uses is lower than that of Firefox. A big problem I've had with Firefox recently is that it has become really bloated and slow to load. I imagine removing add ons might fix that, but i'm enjoying Chrome at the moment.