As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trenches comic: Tuesday Oct. 4, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited October 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-HsjfLFw.jpg
No... wait... go back over there... dammit.

09/29/2011 - Anonymous

After being part of the mobile test team for a year, my hard work paid off and I was assigned to test a REAL game for our Japanese parent company. I was excited to dig in since the game was part of a franchise I loved, and after doing a fair bit of research on the title, I arrived at work bright and early, ready to test.

I entered the room I was assigned to and closed the door behind me, eager to play, but when I turned around I found nothing but a TV and a DVD player. No PC. No Console. No controllers. No nothing.

It turned out the parent company wasn’t exactly thrilled with the idea of passing around playable builds, so their level of paranoia had reached new heights. For the next few weeks, I was to “test” this game … by watching pre-recorded footage of the developer playing the game.

Not awesome!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Is it JUDAS or JUDAS. ? I don't want to get locked out on my first day!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hah.

Also, same story alert! :O

Oh brilliant
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Hah.

Also, same story alert! :O

We get to read the same thing over and over again, just like the testers.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • asiepshtainasiepshtain Registered User new member
    Hi Scott,
    Following this new comic with anticipation.
    Overall I really like the character design so far, the main character is very well executed, feeling believable and original.
    The Test lead character here is a bit weaker, feeling too similar to the actor Judah Friedlander and I also think the light-blue color choice for the edge of the shirt creates a glow/blur effect that's a bit uncomfortable to look at.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am reasonably certain Scott does not read the forums. Sorry, duder.

BLM - ACAB
  • HargrimHargrim Registered User new member
    You are now reading the 'Test Lead's dialogue in the voice of Henry Jon Benjamin

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Hargrim wrote:
    You are now reading the 'Test Lead's dialogue in the voice of Henry Jon Benjamin

Are you kidding. I read everything in his voice.

• DextolenDextolen Registered User regular
    He works with an owlbear? :P

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Hargrim wrote:

God damn it.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    For the life of me I can't think of that guy's voice, despite being sure I'd know it if I heard it.

What is this I don't even.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    For the life of me I can't think of that guy's voice, despite being sure I'd know it if I heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXv13WdLiMA

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hargrim wrote:

God damn it.

By the way I'm going to second this "goddamn it" even though it's a fabulous idea.

Whenever anyone describes a scene in a movie to me, I play it over in my head in McGurk's voice.

I shall now be reading all Trenches stories in his voice.

Oh brilliant
  • Human ShieldHuman Shield Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Just a few thoughts:

1. Am I the only one who would have liked Mr. Test Lead to have introduced himself by giving a name to go with his title? It seems weird that he gave his job description before even his name. We can assume from nega-Isaac's unfinished "pleased to meet you" that they were not actually introduced while nega-Isaac was deciding who to get fired.

2. "Judas" doesn't seem like an apt password to me. It implies the betrayal of a colleague or friend, of which John was neither. You can't really betray someone you don't know.

3. Does this imply that John was Jesus to these folk? If so, all the more reason for his return later to square off against nega-Isaac.

Human Shield on
    Just a few thoughts:

1. Am I the only one who would have liked Mr. Test Lead to have introduced himself by giving a name to go with his title? It seems weird that he gave his job description before even his name. We can assume from nega-Isaac's unfinished "pleased to meet you" that they were not actually introduced while nega-Isaac was deciding who to get fired.

2. "Judas" doesn't seem like an apt password to me. It implies the betrayal of a colleague or friend, of which John was neither. You can't really betray someone you don't know.

3. Does this imply that John was Jesus to these folk? If so, all the more reason for his return later to square off against nega-Isaac.

1 - he's not introducing himself as a friend. He's a coworker, and he's introducing himself as such.
    2 - Judas just has negative connotations re: backstabbing. He got a job at someone else' expense. Doesn't matter if he knew them or not.
    3 - No, it implies he was a friend. Their friend got fired, they are mad.

Oh brilliant
  • collinccollinc Registered User regular
    I really hope you guys are kidding about the nega-Isaac thing. It was just a mirror! There are mirrors everywhere, and nothing was implied that a trans-dimensional rift had occurred, sending each through some kind of portal in the bathroom.

I for one get the whole not giving his name thing. He obviously doesn't like Isaac very much from the beginning. He's not going to go over to him and give him a hug and say nice to meet you.

Also, am I the only one who thought that after the blood on the hands strip everyone was going to stop being serious and bust out laughing, and be like "We're so glad that guy is gone he was such a dick"?

Free cake. Inquire within.
    Just a few thoughts:

1 - he's not introducing himself as a friend. He's a coworker, and he's introducing himself as such.
    2 - Judas just has negative connotations re: backstabbing. He got a job at someone else' expense. Doesn't matter if he knew them or not.
    3 - No, it implies he was a friend. Their friend got fired, they are mad.

What DRX said. :^:

I want to see how Isaac manages to turn this around. If ever, that is.

There's a big difference between "a hug and nice to meet you" and "I'm <name>, your test lead." Does he expect Nega-Isaac to just call him Mr. Test Lead from now on?

Yes, I agree, Judas has negative connotations re: backstabbing. But he (nega-Isaac) did not stab John in the back because he didn't even know John. You can't stab someone in the back that you haven't even met yet. Getting someone else's job at their expense is not back stabbing unless you know the person and work against their knowledge to take it from them. "Back stabbing" implies a personal connection between the stabber and the stabbee.

They don't seem mad, actually. More like put out. Like Nega-Isaac is a nuisance instead of some dick who got their friend and colleague fired. If they were mad, I doubt they'd even be talking to him.

collinc wrote:
    I really hope you guys are kidding about the nega-Isaac thing. It was just a mirror! There are mirrors everywhere, and nothing was implied that a trans-dimensional rift had occurred, sending each through some kind of portal in the bathroom.
    I never said anything about a rift in the bathroom. Obviously the switch occurred well before all this happened. Nega-Isaac is in our world, with plans to bring down this company for some reason. The scene with the mirror was just a hint that there is a parallel dimension at play in the long term storyline.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXv13WdLiMA

Oh. Just say Coach McGurk. jesus. I can't believe I didn't know his real name. My girlfriend refuses to watch Archer because she can't take the character seriously, due to always picturing McGurk.

What is this I don't even.
  • the nightwatchmanthe nightwatchman Registered User regular
    There's a big difference between "a hug and nice to meet you" and "I'm <name>, your test lead." Does he expect Nega-Isaac to just call him Mr. Test Lead from now on?

The test lead is pissed at Isaac, hence he didn't introduce himself.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Not like a Drill Sgt would walk up to a new recruit and say "Hi, I'm Sgt. Frank, your Drill Sgt."

"I'm your Drill Sgt, now shut up and move."

• Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    I am compelled by the fact that Scott/Mike/Jerry are making the protagonist of this comic unlikeable. Not a lovable scrooge like Tycho or an endearing and sincere dope like Gabe. But a true jerk.

If I were this Scottish Test Lead (henceforth known as STL since he apparently has no name), confronted with an evil like Nega-Isaac, I wouldn't resort to petty tactics like making his password Judas (since his first order of business will no doubt be to change it). I might do something like set up his computer so that the background was an image of John, set it so that only an administrator can make changes to the display settings and then lock him out of the administrator account. That way, every day he'd have a reminder of the face of the man whose life he ruined on his desktop. Then I'd throw darts at him while he worked since apparently throwing darts at people is okay.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Today's story is pretty much exactly why I don't want to be a game tester anymore. Although the blindfolding test is something we use in our hiring - only we are describing how to solve technical problems over the phone to other people, so walking people through basic motions is pretty important.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    17 comics and I'm still pretty bored. This twice a week pace of only 3 panels is excruciating.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Say Nega-Isaac again.

Nothing. Matters.
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just a few thoughts:

I think you may be severely over-analyzing this.

BLM - ACAB
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Why does anyone want to be a game tester. There are easier ways to make a better living.

Someone's gotta do it, and it beats a swift kick in the nuts.

Plus, there is that slim chance of moving on up in the industry.

It's an appealing job, despite the horror stories; I saw an application for Guitar Hero III testers once. The required skills included "able to 5* Hangar 18 in Guitar Hero II on Hard difficulty"

Any job application that requires skill in Guitar Hero is an appealing one.

Oh brilliant
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote:
    Not like a Drill Sgt would walk up to a new recruit and say "Hi, I'm Sgt. Frank, your Drill Sgt."

"I'm your Drill Sgt, now shut up and move."

Not to split hairs, but that actually is what they do. They form up the company, and whoever is the most senior DS will address the recruits and identify each drill sergeant. Granted, it's more identifying your superiors than introductions, but still, they do actually give you names (well, last names, anyway).

Oh and push-ups. They also give you lots and lots of push-ups.

On a more on-topic note, the story is up. I actually don't find the interview process too ridiculous.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Being a game tester is shit. I speak from experience.

Also, the test lead seems to have inverted himself about his y axis for the last panel.

sig.png
  • Scott KurtzScott Kurtz Registered User regular
    I do read the forums, sometimes. Hello.

I think our reasoning that the "test lead" did not give Isaac his name is BECAUSE it's so odd. He didn't honor him with the courtesy of an introduction. Almost like "you don't need to know my name because I'm not your friend and you're not a person. I'm your boss and you are subordinate." kind of thing.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I think Test Lead not giving his name really adds to the overall YOU ARE SO UNWELCOME vibe

• FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Someone's gotta do it, and it beats a swift kick in the nuts.

Somewhere in Japan, someone is making a nut-kicking-based arcade game.

And some poor Japanese guy is tasked with testing that motherfucker.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Noooo, Scooooooottt

Don't explain it! You don't know how deep that rabbit hole goes!!

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • TriskTrisk Registered User regular
    I'm going to go ahead and say that I do enjoy this comic, the writing, set up and character designs are top notch and I'm going to love to see what happens next.

A year from now.

I think that not doing the gag a week format is a fine idea, allowing the creators to shoot for more depth in the story and humor and it's an admirable endeavor. I just don't think it's working in a webcomic format. I echo the words of youngfrey
    This twice a week pace of only 3 panels is excruciating.

it is. Updating bi-weekly set up is tricky, I'd really prefer something like a monthly update or weekly six panel to actually buying it in full issued comic form. I assume the problem is with a revenue model based on ads and drawing in that bi-weekly readership you really can't monotize it without subscription or sale, both notoriously bad at making an income on the intarwebs. That, or as creators your experimenting with a new medium, could be either or.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I know I'll end up reading it bi-weekly when it's available regardless and I'm sure I'll enjoy.

edited October 2011
    I do read the forums, sometimes. Hello.

I think our reasoning that the "test lead" did not give Isaac his name is BECAUSE it's so odd. He didn't honor him with the courtesy of an introduction. Almost like "you don't need to know my name because I'm not your friend and you're not a person. I'm your boss and you are subordinate." kind of thing.
    All you nay-sayers can eat your hats now! STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE(beg pardon, Scott)'S MOUTH:

The STL knows Nega-Isaac is not a person. The question now is, who is STL really that he's aware of the truth behind Nega-Isaac?!?! And what will Nega-Isaac do to manipulate the situation to remove this dangerous individual from his path to vengeance? I'm totally feeling the Profit vibe now. I'm a bit of a fan of antagonist as the main character scenarios. Also, crafty manipulators.

Human Shield on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Nobody knows how deep the rabbit hole goes.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's a problem with the kerning on the font used in the stories. (God I feel like a typography nerd or something). The word clipping looks dipping.

steam_sig.png