As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gran Turismo 5]: The Real Cash Cow Simulator (Spec v2.0 and DLC out)

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote:
    How is the Scion xB as a racer for it? Think I bought the car a while ago as a joke car to have (since my wife hated the look of them). Always thought they looked cool so wanted one in my game.

I might not be there for the race. If I manage to be able to get out of cleaning the house for a few hours, how do I join (if you are not racing already)?

The xB pretty much overpowered everything on the fifth race, despite only being at about 375PP. Then again, there's not many straights, so having Racing : Softs were probably overkill. Handles pretty well for a box on wheels, though.

As for the race, just go to Community, then select me, and if the room's open there should be an orange dot with a person in it by the Lounge icon.

Also, just worked out I have all but 10 of the cars in the game now, two of which I can't get because they were GT Academy cars. You name it, I can probably share it (just don't expect it to have all the parts on it).

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Hmm. Due to RL things, I probably won't be able to make it tomorrow. FML and stuff. Sorry. :(

Lounge is open. Now to hope that some people actually turn up.

Nice to see that you can set the timeout at the end of the race up to 3 minutes, though. Sometimes, only having 30 seconds can really screw people up; I think one of the races we had with Smokestacks had someone go for a pass just as time ran out.

• DissolutionDissolution Registered User regular
    Damn fun race, even with a field of 3. This would be an absolute riot with a full field.

Houk wrote: »
    Finally! A game that understands my desire for the inclusion of a jar of semen!
    PSN - Kog667 : DiRT 3 and Gran Turismo 5
    Definitely going to have to do this again, especially given how close it was; if Talon hadn't spun on the mini-Karussell on the last lap, there'd have been less than 20 seconds between the three of us. I spent the last few minutes of the race hoping Dissolution would spin out, just because I would've been close enough to pass him. :D

I'll get some pics on here tomorrow, after I've gone through the replay; I think there was some point where all three of us were side by side on a straight, so that'll make a good pic.

Final result:
    1st - Dissolution - 32:04.098
    2nd - BlitzAce1981 - 32:10.480 - +06.382
    3rd - Talon_Lardner - 32:35.159 - +31.061

20 seconds in a kart is a long time, but consider a spin (which can happen literally anywhere) can cost between 5 and 15 seconds, it keeps the race pretty close. Also slipstream gives you easily 10MPH, its easy to leapfrog back up front.

32 minutes of replay sat through, 20 pics taken:
    nordschleife1.jpg
    The brave trio heading through Hatzenbach on lap 1.
    nordschleife2.jpg
    Dissolution and myself side-by-side through Schwedenkreuz.
    nordschleife3.jpg
    Dissolution catches the grass just before Adenauer Forst, but manages to keep it facing forward.
    nordschleife4.jpg
    By the approach to Kallenhard, he's already back in contention.
    nordschleife5.jpg
    Exiting Kallenhard, we're pretty much taking up the width of the track.
    nordschleife6.jpg
    Dissolution takes the inside of the Karussell, I take the outside. Talon seems to have taken an earlier corner too cautiously and lost time.
    nordschleife7.jpg
    That one kink after the Karussell catches me out for the third time that day. I somehow avoid taking Dissolution with me.
    nordschleife8.jpg
    Just after the mini-Karussell. Talon's still keeping his distance, and I'm getting back towards slipstream range.
    nordschleife9.jpg
    I'm right back with Talon by the Nordkehre on lap 2.
    nordschleife10.jpg
    Dissolution loses some time through Wehrseifen, allowing Talon and myself to catch sight of him again.
    nordschleife11.jpg
    After catching up to about 3 seconds behind, I lose control exiting Breidscheid, and end up losing about 15 seconds.
    nordschleife12.jpg
    Dissolution catches a bump in the road at Steilstrecke and spins out.
    nordschleife13.jpg
    After recovering a good chunk of time, I promptly catch the grass just before Eiskurve and lose it again.
    nordschleife14.jpg
    Meanwhile, Talon has Dissolution in sight through Pflanzgarten II.
    nordschleife15.jpg
    The view down Döttinger Höhe as the second lap comes to a close. You can just about see the tiny speck that is me.
    nordschleife16.jpg
    Dissolution practically doubles his lead over Talon between Nordkehre and Aremberg on lap 3.
    nordschleife17.jpg
    Adenauer Forst claims another victim, as Talon loses control and second place.
    nordschleife18.jpg
    After passing Talon, I start using all the track and then some in an attempt to catch up to Dissolution, even going so far as to cut some grass through Ex-Mühle.
    nordschleife19.jpg
    The last spin of the race, as Talon hits a bump at the mini-Karussell.
    nordschleife20.jpg
    One final look down Döttinger Höhe, before Dissolution takes the win.

Lap 1:
    Dissolution 10:37.810
    Talon_Lardner 10:44.018 (+6.208)
    BlitzAce1981 10:44.815 (+7.005)

Lap 2:
    Dissolution 10:45.632
    Talon_Lardner 10:43.481 (+4.057)
    BlitzAce1981 10:53.999 (+15.372)

Lap 3:
    Dissolution 10:40.654
    BlitzAce1981 10:31.666 (+6.382)
    Talon_Lardner 11:07.661 (+31.062)

Awesome pictures. Man, I want to do this again.

I... er... kinda broke my lap record.
    nordschleifekart10min21.jpg

Make me wonder how fast I could get it with a couple of pace cars providing slipstream... definitely under 10 minutes, maybe under 9 with the right gear ratios.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Hey, guys. http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/28/gran-turismo-5-getting-big-update-next-month-dlc-to-follow/

Polyphony Digital CEO Kaz Yamauchi just tweeted that a huge "Spec 2.0 update" is coming in October and will be followed by DLC. No news on what either of these things contain, but I figured you'd want to know. Pretty exciting.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Here's some Spec II details from Kaz's twitter:
    1. Simplified interior view added to all standard cars.
    2. User control of the weather change feature.
    3. Added a setting sheet feature allowing you to save multiple car settings...
    4. Spec 2.0 Opening movie
    5. Improved UI response and usability
    6. Replay front forward/rewind
    7. Mid-race save feature for endurance races.
    8. Expanded online lounge features (Narrowing down car types, shuffle races)...
    9. Expansion of the B-Spec remote race you can play from GT.com (a graph display now shows changes in race rankings.)
    10. Expanded Photo travel features / You can now take photo’s of cars together with your avatar...
    11. Added a “NASCAR Pit Scene” stage to Photo Travel
    12. Added eleven 2011 model NASCAR cars...
    13. Added the Nissan GT-R N24 Shulze Motor Sport
    14. Improved physics and AI...
    15. Support for the Logitec G25/G27 Steering wheel.
    http://twitter.com/#!/Kaz_Yamauchi

Sounding good so far. Keep an eye on his twitter for more details.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it's coming sometime between 9-15 October.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited October 2011
    That's it for the free update it seems. But he also had some DLC news:
    Something like this. For the DLC we’re preparing a racing car pack, a course pack, and a racing gear pack...I’ll let you know more about...
    that soon.

Unco-ordinated on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So the Spec 2.0 is a free update?

I really should dust this game off again and drive. Been buying too many other games lately and got away from my original goal to get all the Mustangs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I sense another Super Nordschleife Kart race sometime in the near future...

...assuming that I'm not completely obsessed with playing car football in Forza 4 when it comes out.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I don't play GT5 and don't really follow this thread, so I'm hoping that this is indeed the most recent GT5 thread, because some of you might be interested in this.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d6002.html

In the F1 Japan Grand Prix final today, Sebastian Vettel became the 2011 F1 series world champion. To celebrate this occasion, we have started two special campaigns in Gran Turismo 5. Both campaigns are only offered for a limited time (1 week).

Special Online Event

We will be hosting a time trial on the Suzuka Circuit, using the Red Bull X2010 S.Vettel. Try driving the “fastest racing car on earth, free of any and all regulations”, on the same Japan Grand Prix final course where Sebastian Vettel became series champion.

The prize for winning this race is an incredible 5 million credits. And because this is a champion celebration event the difficulty for the Gold time target has been set lower than usual, making this a great opportunity for everyone to win a huge prize.

Red Bull X2010 S. Vettel Giveaway

Everyone who logs onto Gran Turismo 5 during the campaign will receive the Red Bull X2010 S.Vettel in the game.

Celebrate this historic birth of the new king of racing by adding GT5’s ultimate dream car, the Red Bull 2010 to your own garage.

Nice news, will definitely have to load up GT5 to check this out.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Gold time is something like 1:25, which is actually quite easy; managed a 1:15 on my first lap. Of course, this means there'll be a LOT of people with X2010s who can't handle them. Myself included. :D

edited October 2011
    OP updated. I really should give the entire thing an overhaul, but meh.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, the Online Dealership has a shitload of ~2mil. racers with zero mileage, including the FGT. Get them while they're hot!

The Anonymous on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Downloading the 2.0 update now, 1.2 gb.

Diarmuid on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    They finally have the new opening replacement for Spec 2.0 available in the GTTV section... not too bad.

The only downside as I just tried it for the suspend races during endurance runs on A-spec is that you can't go do anything else, it forces you to either exit the game completely, or keep on going, and once you go back into the game, you HAVE to restart the race, you can't just go and do anything else.

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    Here is the DLC coming out soon

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-dlc-coming-october-18th-includes-spa-francorchamps/

Super excited to race on Spa

• HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    yeah, in the new opening movie, they have clips from spa and what looks to be a super awesome kart-only track which looks very TRONish

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
    edited October 2011
    Diarmuid wrote:
    Downloading the 2.0 update now, 1.2 gb.
    Diarmuid wrote:
    1.2 gb.
    Diarmuid wrote:
    1.2 gb.
    Why GT5, why must you torture my monthly download quota so? :cry:

The Anonymous on
    edited October 2011
    HooverFan wrote:
    They finally have the new opening replacement for Spec 2.0 available in the GTTV section... not too bad.

The only downside as I just tried it for the suspend races during endurance runs on A-spec is that you can't go do anything else, it forces you to either exit the game completely, or keep on going, and once you go back into the game, you HAVE to restart the race, you can't just go and do anything else.

I kind of expected that, but it still sucks; I would have preferred it if they had at least made it so that online racing was still accessable, just minus the car tied up by whichever race was in progress.

As for the DLC news... Spa? FUCK YEAH. 3 new karts? FUCKING HELL YEAH. 10 coloured chrome paints? The cherry on top.

EDIT - Just had a look at the racing gear DLC; some say that if you wear the Simpson Diamondback helmet and Alpine Stars GP-1 racing suit in white, you may begin to fear ducks...

EDIT 2 - Just been told by a friend that the new basic helmet and suit designs included in the DLC are already dropping in the Seasonal Events, so it looks like there'll be 30 colour combinations for each of those too. I guess the DLC will give 5 colours at random?

BlitzAce1981 on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Jumping back after months and months and going right for the X2010 event... might have been a bad idea.

I actually yelped while taking one corner. And afterwards, a Ferrari race seemed downright sluggish.

euj90n71sojo.png
    And now they've got the X2011 on its way, too, so I bet that really soon, even the X2010 will feel sluggish. :P

• devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    So i bought the DLC, and I don't see anything new...did this happen to anyone else? or am I just missing something?

Have you accessed the DLC sub-menu in the main menu? You need to go into that first to activate the DLC.

Have you accessed the DLC sub-menu in the main menu? You need to go into that first to activate the DLC.

In the game somewhere? I'll poke around next time I turn it on

edited November 2011
    Also, make sure the regions match up on your DLC and game disc. A US game won't recognise DLC from the EU PS Store, for instance.

The Anonymous on
    Yeah, I bought the DLC off the US ps3 store...just there wasn't anything to download in the PSN store like most normal games, so I thought I was missing something. It does all have the purchased red/blue icons on them though

yeah i had to go to the menu in game to "unlock" the dlc. sigh

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So i fired this up over the weekend and let it sit a while so it could update.

Was looking through the DLC and it seems there is/was a DLC bundle that include the Racing Car Pack, Paint Pack, and Outfit pack but I can't seem to find it. Was it just around for a limited time?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    Yeah it was just a limited time deal from what I remember.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the passing of Carroll Shelby. I know I'll miss that mad genius.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Is this not available on PSN?

Not since the last time I checked. That was a while ago though, I may have to check again.

Nah it isn't, probably because it'd be a ~20GB download. It's the same reason why most of Sony's first party games aren't on the PSN (or MGS4/FFXIII/Yakuza for that matter).

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Boooooooooooo!!!! Hissssssssss!!!!!

That sucks, though I guess I save some money then.

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    If you're in North America, however, the GT Academy 2012 demo/challenge is available for download off PSN. It's free, uses the same engine as GT5, and if you're good enough, gives you a (tiny, nigh-impossible unless you've got a full racing setup) chance at being in the top 128 people competing for a slot as a professional race driver.

Unrelated, I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover this thread. I'm on GT5 from time to time, PSN ID shdwcaster.