As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's the All-New Vanilla-Flavoured CF Secret Santa 2011!

CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Critical Failures
After a summer of Not Happening, it's back! Europe is broke, the US is hitting the primary trail and Canada is either melting or being fracked apart, but we abide to present:

CF's Secret Santa Holiday 2011!

>Who Is This For?

While Critical Failures (nee Of Dice and Men) originated as a domain mainly to give a home to the miniature game posters outside of G&T, it has expanded to encompass all of our gaming brethren and sistren, and all are welcomed here.

Don't be discouraged if you've never set foot in the mini gaming threads. Be you an aficionado of D&D, WoD, Dresden Files, or even F.A.T.A.L. (wait, no, scratch that last one. Those people will be dragged into the street and shot) we'll find a Santa to give you your own special gift of Awesome.

>Awesome! What are the rules?

Just read on below!

Names will be taken until 2359GMT ON SATURDAY 29TH OCTOBER, at which point no further names will be accepted. In the day or two following that date names will be picked at random and assigned to individuals, one name per entrant. The name you receive will be the person you will be gifting - and the point of this event is that you are a Secret Santa, so please don't go spouting off to all and sundry. Based on the preferences that your recipient will post when they register to be a part of the event, you will then be prompted buy/convert/paint/whatever you deem suitable for a gift.

You will then be able to collect or work on whatever is being sent. The deadline for your recipient to get his gift is going to be 20th January 2012 - that leaves you with plenty of time to put together whatever it is and get it sent out.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN TO START THINKING ABOUT MAYBE BUYING A GIFT A WEEK BEFORE THE FINISH, YOU DOZY MONGBATS. If anyone fails to provide a gift within a reasonable time (or at all), they will be summarily barred from the next event - or possibly worse (if you've ever perused the Who was Banned thread, the forum's collective Santa events generally produce one or two deadbeats a year - don't be THAT guy!). The Holiday 2009 event went without a single hitch, 2010 was nearly as good and I'd like it to stay that way. Order sooner rather than later so you don't get screwed by some store/shipping/natural disasters.

As before, I will be offering an incentive:
When your recipient posts that they have received their gift, you may PM me and I will disclose the identity of your Santa. This means that if you get your stuff sent out and done early, you get to know who is sending you a gift. Some of you may not want to take advantage of this option and ruin the surprise, which is completely understandable, but it may help motivate a little bit.

>What would constitute a suitable gift?

This is where we unfortunately get subjective. I'd like to think we all have the good common sense to pick good gifts in this regard. For guidelines, I'd suggest something like $10/£6 (or $15/£9-ish with shipping) as a minimum. The minimum price on the gift is there to mostly prevent someone from sending like a single arm, half a body or the random pages that fell out of someone's crappily produced D20 OGL book. If you wish to do so then by all means go as far above this minimum limit as you want, it'd be awesome to see that sort of thing on the whole. Our current record, I think, is Gabriel_Pitt who sent someone an entire fucking tyranid army. You will basically be held to the honour system (and the threat of being pointed at and beaten with internet-sticks) to ensure that the person who you are gifting does not feel cheated. By all means, send a titan to your Santee if you wish!

Gift recommendation are a combination of what you're capable of, and what your Santee wants. A PnP gamer who's never touched bare pewter is probably not the right person to give a complete Cryx strike force too. On the other hand, they might greatly appreciate receiving a nicely painted rendition of their PC from their long-running forum game, or the latest expansion sourcebook in their setting of choice.

Even if you aren't that good with models, you can definitely still participate - nobody's ever said no to a boxed set, and it's a nice and simple gift. Books, modules, and other nifty aids to table top gaming will certainly go over well with the right people.

Single miniatures, books, or accessories are more than welcome and might actually be preferred in some senses, so long as they meet the $10/£6 minimum requirement. There's no need to feel obligated to get someone the Compleat Box set of D&D 4.0 core books just because they express an interest in the system (The PHB should suffice, but if you really are feeling generous...). Be careful though - it's no use having an amazing plan if your Santee never actually gets the gift. Don't go crazy and end up never getting anything sent.

>I live in [insert country no-one has ever heard of]. Can I participate?

ABSOLUTELY! Ideally, we would get a few people from all over to participate. To make sending the gifts easier, I will organize people into categories based on location while drawing the names to try and keep international mailing to a minimum.

>How do I sign up?

Entries are not considered official until I (CF SANTA) receive a PM from you containing the following:

1. Your name;
2. Your address - PLEASE MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE COUNTRY SO I DON'T HAVE TO GUESS;
3. What games you collect/play/would like a gift from.
4: Suggestions - 'I play Exalted' doesn't help your Santa much in narrowing down what would be a good gift. Saying something like, 'I play Exalted and have been looking at getting Dreams of the First Age, Graceful Wicked Masques, or Scroll of Heroes' gives your Santa an idea of what you wants, and helps Santa if he's not familiar with your chosen system.

If you do not send this PM, you will not be entered in the event!

I require this information to make sure that you won't all have to pay an arm and a leg in shipping to make sure these minis arrive safely and intact. Still, some of you may have to make the sacrifice and spend a little extra on international shipping. I will try to avoid this, but it may become necessary if I can't organize people close enough to each other.

DO NOT SEND ME A PM JUST SAYING "I'M IN"

Even if you participated in the last event,your personal information has not been kept. I also need to explain something - when your santa gets your information, they receive it in the form of THE SAME MESSAGE YOU SEND ME. I literally forward your contact information and model preferences to the person giving you your gift, so the reason to make you all jump through the hoops of filling the information out is so that I have something to supply to your Santa. I also want to make sure I have up-to-date information.

When you sign up, please put some money aside for the gift right then. If you do not have said funds, do not sign up. The overwhelming majority of excuses that we always get are from people not having enough money to actually purchase a gift for their Santee, so I want to nip this in the bud. I realize most of you won't know at the time of sign-up who you're getting or what you're going to be gifting, but it's not unreasonable to put twenty-ish dollars or fifteen-ish pounds aside for the event right at the off.

After you've sent the PM, I'd recommend you post the games you collect or are interested in in this thread, as well. Too specific makes the gifting process a bit silly. List the games you wouldn't mind receiving items from, as well as what you might already collect, so your gifter might have some starting point.

>How do you assign Santas?

Utilizing super-secret scientific method and a crack team of genetically modified English muffins, we assemble the Santa Master List™ at a classified military installation fourteen fathoms down in the general vicinity of the Marianas Trench.

As I don't have a swanky enough hat, Operation 'WHERE'D ALL THE MONEY GO 2011' will probably be run using the old staple of bunging your name on the back of one of my business cards and fishing them randomly out of a cardboard box.

It's all done in one completely random shot. I don't tamper with it in any way (UNLESS I REALLY NEED TO, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), though I do take some requests into consideration in setting the names in the box up (location, for example - I NO LONGER DO A SEPARATE DRAW for the regions of the world but if you have a real problem with postage, I can tweak this a bit).

>What do I do when I send/receive my gift?

A few suggestions for sending the gift:

* Include your name (forum name) so people have some idea of who is sending them this wondrous bounty! It really shouldn't be all that hard to just write your handle on a piece of paper and throw it in.
* Consider using Delivery Confirmation/Tracking so you can track your package and make sure it gets there.
* Check in with your recipient via PM a few days after sending to confirm receipt if you don't hear anything.

Also, some guidelines for receiving the gift:

* Let your Santa know it arrived! One less thing they have to worry about.
* VERY VERY IMPORTANT: Post in the thread that the package arrived, and show off what you got!
* Take some damn pictures! Your Santa probably worked very hard on the gift, and we're all dying to see what's being exchanged.

One last final point: While lurkers are welcome to participate, I reserve the right to use absolute discretion in ruling people out of participation. If you have absolutely zero posts or a bare minimum number and you register on the boards to try and take part in this, I probably won't let you participate. Past events have shown that these users have been the most likely to vanish off the board never to be seen again, or otherwise welsh on their end of participation.

And if you DO try to mess around with the system, Santa will have your address. And a crew of trained hunting reindeer. WITH SHARES IN LEHMAN BROTHERS.

santasig.jpg
CF SANTA on

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    OMG IN

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    IN IN IN.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    In like Flynn!

(I still totally owe Nax some bonus present from lasttime)

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Awww yeah
    Posting in this thread so I remember to actually send the PM later.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    ME! ME! ME!
    I know this isn't a sign-up but still.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • [GHSC]Ryctor[GHSC]Ryctor Registered User regular
    Jesus its about damn time. I'm totally in!

You'd be surprised the amount of damage a hauler can do in the right hands ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hey guys, am I ok to participate in CF Santa if I'm not a mini gamer any more?
    I've been in G&TSS the last few years, but I'm mostly into board games I can play with friends and family than miniatures any more.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Yes, definitely. It's for all types of CF devotees be they pen and paper, shiny unpainted men or card fanatics.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Sure, i'll give it a shot. First year on the forums(regularlly posting that is)...why not try it out.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    And one more is added to the list.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    What the hell, I'm in. I've solved my camera problem, so everything should be good to go for the posting of pictures. Thank goodness for throwaway Photobucket accounts, huh?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    It just occurred to me that I never revealed myself to @Nax as one of his secret secret Santas from last year.
    I sent the WHO Warboss.

NOW I CAN CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Whee! That time again!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • [GHSC]Ryctor[GHSC]Ryctor Registered User regular
    I love that signature, Nax :)

You'd be surprised the amount of damage a hauler can do in the right hands ~ Istvaan Shogaatsu
    me too :P

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Even though I don't recognize a lot of names in this thread so far, I'll sign up again. PM incoming...

• susansusan Registered User regular
    It's the All-New Chocolate and Peanut Butter-Flavoured CF Secret Santa 2011!

That's better (I kid, I kid :P ). Had an awesome Secret Santa last year, wonder who I'll get this year...

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Asher wrote:
    In like Flynn!

(I still totally owe Nax some bonus present from lasttime)

SAME HERE! I actually have the miniatures here, but didn't paint them. I am in.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I should totally do this. Two options for my address though. Can ship it to my wife stateside or me overseas...hmmm. I'll just provide both in the PM. Let my santa pick!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm not saying I'm in just yet, but last time I did a Secret Santa I got kind of burned... and then forum drama erupted. I kinda miss it, to be honest, I just know I am kind of a notoriously hard to shop for kind of guy. My general philosophy is that if I want something, I'll go out and buy it, and I won't impose my hobbies on others.

On the other hand, CF is probably my favorite community on PA, and I definitely feel at home here, even if I don't post as much as some others...

Ah blah. I'll think on it. :) But it is likely!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Whoops, I've got to start browsing the forum more, relying on only what's in my Bookmarks less!

I'm so in, and hoping I get a chance to do something like that Fire Prism/ Night Spinner again! That was fun!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm in. I just found CF, but my time in the WH40K thread has more than made up for it.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    In, ready for round 2 for me!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
      Do we get any kind of confirmation email?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
      Santa will likely update the OP at some point with the current participants. When it is time, you'll get your Santee in a PM

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
      edited October 2011
      I'm in. Are we waiting to post what games/shit we would like until the cut-off date?

Vanguard on
      Nope, generally your PM is it.

In my capacity as Santa's Little Helper I would advise that he is a bit busy at the moment but hopes to post the names of participants this weekend. So far there are around 16 happy campers.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
      Santa's Little Helper is a dog

You're a pony

Something fishy is going on here

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg

You're a pony

But the name implies a cat...

WHO ARE YOU? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH SANTA?

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
      edited October 2011
      Has anyone ever noticed you can spell Santa and Satan with the same letters? Coincidence, or CONSPIRACY?

EDIT: Updated PM sent.

Vanguard on
      see317 wrote:

You're a pony

But the name implies a cat...

WHO ARE YOU? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH SANTA?

Well you see the answer is quite simple:
      images.jpg

• CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
      CF SANTA'S BIG LIST OF VANILLA MOCHAS 2011:

Nax
      altmann
      [GHSC]Ryctor
      susan
      Denada
      see317
      JaysonFour
      Matev
      Sharp101
      TheLawinator
      Gabriel_Pitt
      valhalla130
      Anialos
      TimFiji
      Vanguard

santasig.jpg
    • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
      edited October 2011
      Where's Timspork?

TheLawinator on
      My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
      I loaded up Steam to yell at him, but he's not online :(

ALSO! If anyone who gets me wants to add "Necrons" to the PM Santa sends you, thats fine :P

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Okay. I'm in, but I haven't sent a PM yet. I need to think long and hard what to detail, because if I do it means I can't go out and buy it in the meantime, lest I make my secret santa feel bad. :(

I'll update this when I send the PM. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
      edited October 2011
      Last time, I modified a warmachine war machine to have swappable magnetized arms, hands, and heads for someone. This time? After I sign up, I will draw a crayon picture of a scary monster. Glue it to a stand and add it to any army! (note: it will be stray bit of napkin, so won't actually stand very well)

TheOtherHorseman on
    • CF SANTACF SANTA Registered User regular
      CF SANTA'S BIG LIST OF CREME BRULEES 2011:

Nax
      altmann
      [GHSC]Ryctor
      susan
      Denada
      see317
      JaysonFour
      Matev
      Sharp101