As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VERY STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT FILM [CHAT] thread

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    F87 wrote:
    What are all you PA people listening to lately while working?
    I've recently found the Ozric Tentacles to be pretty good work-muzac.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Lately I've been listening to the Portal 2 soundtrack a lot.

Alternatively books on tape and podcasts can be fun, but I have to kind of be in the mood for them.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Silence...
    I can't work with music or any sort of sound for that matter.

m3nace on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Really? Can I sit an watch you paint? In silence? While I eat these?

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Man, what
    F87 wrote:
    What are all you PA people listening to lately while working?

I usually listen to any online radio station. Today, it's hits from the 70s, 80s and 90s!

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I've been listening to a bunch of random music lately.

I found a whole new appreciation for the band Deer Tick

Also Wye Oak, Buke and Gass, Yeasayer, Freelance Whales, Broken Social Scene and more mellow instrumental stuff like Do Make Say Think

I, apparently, am weird though. I can work with damn near anything playing and it doesn't phase me.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I listen to grooveshark.com most of the day. From there I listen to whatever suits the mood.

In other news, my new mattress was just delivered. After spending the last few days sleeping on the mattress from my futon on the ground in my bedroom, I am thoroughly excited to be at least sleeping on a good mattress again. It's still going to be on the ground in the bedroom because the frame and the rest of the furniture hasn't shown up at our house yet. That should hopefully be here tomorrow or Friday. I'm really hoping it's tomorrow so that I can at least put together the bed frame.

• I usually only listen to music while drawing if I need to drown out some other distracting noise, or if I'm working on an idea specifically inspired by a song, or I'm well-past the stage where there's a lot of drawing decisions to be made and it's more straight rendering going on- and even then, I'll often find if I get stuck on something, I'll have to turn the music off for a minute or two while I think the problem out.

Though admittedly, probably part of why I find having music on so distracting is that I rarely listen through to a bunch of songs straight through in a row, I'm always jumping around my playlists haphazardly, and that gets distracting real quick.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    I listen to the most obnoxious hardcore dubstep I can find.

Or other things.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    F87 wrote:
    Really? Can I sit an watch you paint? In silence? While I eat these?
    Hey, I only have one right hand, what do you suppose I'd be using to strangle you with if I'm drawing/typing with the other then?

m3nace on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Though admittedly, probably part of why I find having music on so distracting is that I rarely listen through to a bunch of songs straight through in a row, I'm always jumping around my playlists haphazardly, and that gets distracting real quick.

I started listening to albums strait through when I started animating, trying to shuffle or constantly switch things up while doing frames is obnoxious. The nice thing is I find that bands I wouldn't have given a second chance after hearing two of their songs, i'll actually turn up liking after giving a full album a fair shake.

These days, though, I do podcasts. Weirdly enough when I dont want to pay attention to it, I just don't. Maybe I drown out peoples voices easier than beats. If I listen to a podcast twice, theres usually like 20minutes or so that sounds new because I completely tuned it out.

Ah- that makes sense. I can (mostly) listen to my entire collection straight through whole albums. So I only need switch it up ever 40-50 min or so.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited October 2011

I am going to make a blog
    and instead of a real comments section
    I'm gonna have the header of a comments section
    and just a passage from a nice book under it for each article/post

Tam on
  • Nappuccino wrote:

Ah- that makes sense. I can (mostly) listen to my entire collection straight through whole albums. So I only need switch it up ever 40-50 min or so.

Yeah, but aren't you the guy who likes music that sounds like the sound of a fog horn stretched out for 17 minutes? (Maybe that was somebody else.) I suspect that makes a difference as well.

what kinda music do you listen to AoB? you never post about music and I want to judge you.

edited October 2011
    Bacon listens to epic movie scores
    and trailer music
    and Wyclef
    and Ennio Morricone

Tam on
    what defines "trailer music"? 30 clips of what ever song is on the radio with explosions and I guy going "this summer" in a low gravely voice?

Actually kinda makes sense with the kung fu movies he watches

edited October 2011
    that bit is actually me poking a bit of fun at Bacon, as I do

err but I meant stuff from studios/companies/whatever that basically make music for epic movies and trailers like Globus or Two Steps From Hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6skxRLnsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZftmGsokIY

Tam on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2011
    That's kinda hard to answer, considering I usually only have maybe 1-3 songs per artist rather than picking up multiple full albums of any single band.

I guess classic rock (Some Rolling Stones, The Grass Roots, Cream, Queen, Brainbox, Iggy & The Stooges) and a lot of soundtrack kinda stuff (Harry Gregson-Williams, Immediate Music, Ennio Morricone, Craig Armstrong...the soundtrack for Les Choristes is really good)? I also like some 70's funk/motown stuff (Aretha Franklin, early The Temptations, etc.), ...basically a lot of stuff that probably hasn't been considered cool since I was like 3 years old. I like The Pillows a lot. I used to be big into Radiohead but after awhile I felt it just bummed me out too much. I like some, but not a whole ton of, metal (Iron Maiden, some Judas Priest...Yngwie Malmsteen I don't really dig except for the one album he played with a full orchestra, which is so over the top I just have to like it.) I like Ben Folds generally.

I've been listening to a good bit of the Yoshida Brothers lately, and I've been repeating Buckethead's Soothsayer a lot. The vocal tracks on the Bastion soundtrack are nice.

What I'm not a fan of is generally dance music, or dubstep/heavy bass stuff, or generally anything with obviously autotuned voices, or most pop music, or country, or most rap or hip-hop (though there are exceptions). I know this makes me an unhip old man but whatever.

Fake-Edit: Tam's pretty much got my number. Although I like Gunpowder and that Stayin' Alive mashup song from Wyclef, I'm not very familiar with the rest of his stuff.

Real-Edit: I did post my most-listened to songs a few years ago, though this is invariably going to get skewed in favor of songs that have good endings that I'll just skip to and replay, rather than songs I'll listen to all the way through:
    http://bacon.iseenothing.com/tomfoolery/ituneslist.gif

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited October 2011
    Tam: Those are awesome haha. I always figured the music in trailers was just a section of normal movie score, cut for the trailer.

AoB, Classic rock is acceptable music taste in my opinion! Do you like any punk?

Iruka on
  • I only have a couple of punk songs, other than the aforementioned Iggy & The Stooges (is that considered punk? Proto-punk? Sometimes maybe kinda-sorta punkish? I don't know these things), but generally I'm not too huge into punk.

Bad Brains is about all the punk I listen to
    and also I guess The Pillows count as sort of pop punk
    I wanted to join the music discussion

edited October 2011

Yeah, but aren't you the guy who likes music that sounds like the sound of a fog horn stretched out for 17 minutes? (Maybe that was somebody else.) I suspect that makes a difference as well.

That was not 17 min, and is actually super awesome if you give a chance.

But mostly, I listen to more straight forward music like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nErHr0L72Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GC8atI43I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ53P2MDFv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqUN93KYlis

Also, if you want instrumental music, these guys are awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd411muNmbg

Nappuccino on

• ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Nappuccino wrote:

Also Wye Oak, Buke and Gass, Yeasayer, Freelance Whales, Broken Social Scene and more mellow instrumental stuff like Do Make Say Think

I, apparently, am weird though. I can work with damn near anything playing and it doesn't phase me.

Dude Yes Deer Tick!

I always tell people about them, and then they say what you mean Deer Hunter? And then they lose interest when I say no.

Also I'm listening to Damion Suomi a lot, and Shakey Graves, and Jessica Lea Mayfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-Xg5wwcQU

Chromatomic on
    edited October 2011
    Nappuccino wrote:

Dude Yes Deer Tick!

I always tell people about them, and then they say what you mean Deer Hunter? And then they lose interest when I say no.

Those people don't know what they are missing.

edit: Jessical Lea Mayfield is pretty amazing too. I'm really not a big country guy, but a lot of my new favorite acts lean to country. They just have a good enough balance of songwriting/talent/genre hopping that I don't mind.

Nappuccino on

• ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    Yeah I definitely agree, about half the new music I'm listening to lately is either alt-country or indie-country I'm not sure to be honest, but there are a lot of quality musicians. You might check out Laura Marling as well if you haven't run across her stuff.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Wow, this is pretty mortifying, but I cannot figure out how to do a simple RGB to Greyscale conversion in painter 11.

e: I'm trying to take a simple picture and convert it into greyscale, and then convert that into a sort of monochrome thing. I thought it would take a minute. I've been reading tutorials on corel's website for like an hour.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    i know that random photos on the internet tend to be horrible gesture practice, but espn released their 'nudes' images, almost SFW, but not quite so click at your own risk, i enjoyed them and didnt feel sleezy having to google 'naked mens' or what not

(its only mostly naked mens, apparently few wimmenz slipped in too)

edited October 2011
    That was not 17 min, and is actually super awesome if you give a chance.

Ok I probably shouldn't have stirred the hornet's nest here in the first place by bringing it up, but listening to 15 minutes of Godspeed You! Black Emperor is 15 more minutes than I've given most bands, so that's all they're going to get, sorry. I know everyone wants everyone to love the stuff they love, but it's just not to my taste.

This is why I try to avoid these music conversations (as Iruka noted, but I felt obligated to give an answer anyway), because beyond, 'here's a song I think is cool', there's not really much of a discussion to be had; and any disagreements become variations on "if you had good taste (like me), you'd like this too".

I don't want to be engaged for pages and pages with incensed people trotting out examples of what they consider "good" rap/hip-hop/dubstep/house music/country-reggae fusion to try to win me over to whatever their position is, and I'm not all that interested in making any converts to my taste either (do I win a prize if I get someone to listen to "The Night Chicago Died" or something?)- what do I care if they listen to what I listen to or not?

EDIT: Also, just to give fair warning, this computer can barely handle Gmail much less Youtube videos, so any trying to win me over with music videos is not going to work.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    I thought tha'ts why the RIAA got started, to break off a piece of that phat phat royalty cash that is being stolen by pirates, and paying grass roots fans of bands for bringing in converts...

Well how else do the exist in a rational and functional universe?

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Yep. Tonight's a night to feel bad and eat too much.

edited October 2011
    Yep. Tonight's a night to feel bad and eat too much.

What's the matter, Jennightdragofer?

EDIT: Holy shit, Steve Jobs just died. ):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15193922

I was never a huge Apple fan myself, but I always appreciated his role in kicking the rest of the tech world in the rear end when it needed it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I find there's too much music these days for me to spend too much time trying out new bands on for size.
    I can barely keep up with the bands I know I like, let alone deal with a band that I may potentially feel nothing for.

EDIT: Also, just to give fair warning, this computer can barely handle Gmail much less Youtube videos, so any trying to win me over with music videos is not going to work.

How on earth do you do art if your pc doesn't have the processing/memory to use your email?

And regarding music: music is fun to talk about and its actually pretty easy to describe why you like things/ don't like things. But, as with art, you have to be a little bit educated on the subject to really convey your feelings properly. So most people end up saying things like "Your music sucks" "nu-uh, your music sucks" and everyone just gets pissed off. Unless you outright insult me for liking what I like I don't get pissed off (and don't worry, nothing anyone has said has gotten me pissed off)

Personally, I love music and I love talking about music. Its fun for me to do so- but on that token I also recognize that 99% of people don't share my views (I have a tendency to like more obscure titles, not because they're obscure but because they speak to me more than something like Shakira or 3 Doors Down.)

And, I can easily find some streams of those songs sans video if you'd be willing to give them the time of day. If not that's ok too :)

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    EDIT: Holy shit, Steve Jobs just died. ):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15193922

I was never a huge Apple fan myself, but I always appreciated his role in kicking the rest of the tech world in the rear end when it needed it.

Just read that.....I knew the guy was sick, but I didn't realise he was that close to death. I'm not an Apple nutjob, but I respect them for making computers hipster cool, instead of just nerd cool.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    This is like Jack Layton all over again. Cool guys stepping down due to cancer then passing away shortly after.

• @Napp: I'm moving, so I'm in a hotel with this laptop I normally never ever use because it's a piece of shit. The desktop I normally use is packed away elsewhere.

And I don't really appreciate the implication that me not wanting to get into a tiresome debate about musical taste comes as a result of me being too inarticulate and uneducated to handle doing so.

edited October 2011
    Sorry if I misread this comment:
    This is why I try to avoid these music conversations (as Iruka noted, but I felt obligated to give an answer anyway), because beyond, 'here's a song I think is cool', there's not really much of a discussion to be had; and any disagreements become variations on "if you had good taste (like me), you'd like this too".

It made it sound like you didn't have much to say about music or didn't think there could be much to say. Hence my comment. As I've said, talking about music can be fun and insightful- not a "tiresome debate" like you make it out to be- its all about how the two parties handle it.

And some how I didn't realize that you were still moving- I thought you'd moved into a place already. Sorry about that.

Nappuccino on

This discussion has been closed.