As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VERY STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT FILM [CHAT] thread

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yep. Tonight's a night to feel bad and eat too much.

What's the matter, Jennightdragofer?

EDIT: Holy shit, Steve Jobs just died. ):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15193922

I was never a huge Apple fan myself, but I always appreciated his role in kicking the rest of the tech world in the rear end when it needed it.

Holy crap...D:

I had no idea he was that close to death either. Didn't he like...just step down, relatively recently?

Also in answer to your question, I think it's just hard for me to be/feel alone all the time. :\ It also feels like everybody else around me doesn't have this problem...which makes it worse. I'm a fail this week. :C

[edit] oh god horrible totp I am the worst noooooo

NightDragon on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I feel the same way half the time. Don't feel bad. :c

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Well, it would be better than my post being the TOTP where both bacon and I misinterpret what each other is saying to hell and back :)

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty terrible at pick-me-ups but I know how you feel and you are one of the best people here and I feel bad that you feel bad. But don't feel bad that you're making me feel bad because then you would start some sort of causation loop that we couldn't escape.

In other non-related news, has anyone had Tanqueray Gin? It smells like a christmas tree!

• Options
    Nappuccino wrote:
    Sorry if I misread this comment:
    This is why I try to avoid these music conversations (as Iruka noted, but I felt obligated to give an answer anyway), because beyond, 'here's a song I think is cool', there's not really much of a discussion to be had; and any disagreements become variations on "if you had good taste (like me), you'd like this too".

It made it sound like you didn't have much to say about music or didn't think there could be much to say. Hence my comment. As I've said, talking about music can be fun and insightful- not a "tiresome debate" like you make it out to be- its all about how the two parties handle it.

From what I've seen though, these conversations tend to go more the way I'm describing (youtube music video onslaughts), rather than something that seems like an intelligent conversation, (ie: "I like ________, but I feel like their current songs overemphasize ______ at the sacrifice of ________," etc.) which generally requires the participants to be on some kind of common ground, in the same way that in AC crits, there's a common ground of people shooting for illustration/comics/concept art kind of work - the general topic of "music" is far too broad for that common ground to be assured.

What I usually see would be more akin to having a conversation about painting, with someone trying to advocate the works of Gerome, and someone else coming and being like, 'hey, if you like painting you should check out Rothko, dude!'- there's a debate to be had there, but frankly (and this is true even in the most academic of settings) that debate is generally going to be those two people having a pointless pissing match. Which is why I avoid those debates as well, because I really don't give a fuck about convincing someone of anything concerning that point. That's not because I don't have the knowledge or context or ability to make a decent argument, it just seems like an annoying way to spend my time.
    Also in answer to your question, I think it's just hard for me to be/feel alone all the time. :\ It also feels like everybody else around me doesn't have this problem...which makes it worse. I'm a fail this week.

:( Awwwwww...........<e-hugs>

I doubt this makes you feel any better, but I've got/have had the same problem since...pretty much forever, so you're not alone in...being alone.

You should move out to SF, then we could do like a time-share on owning a fluffy dog.

• Options
    I mean, if you want me to write out some mini-essays (2-3 sentences) about what makes the bands I linked pretty awesome in my opinion, I'll happily do that. Its just like, in the time it would take to write out something for you to read that accurately represents the band, you could have listened to the first 45seconds of the song and (more or less likely) gotten a good idea of what I was going to say in the first place.

Plus I'm short on time so its way easier to just throw up a few links and say "these are things i find sweet, I hope you do too"

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    You should move out to SF, then we could do like a time-share on owning a fluffy dog.

omgggggg dogs are the best where is your sign-up sheet

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I hear there are earthquakes in SF, and weird red bearded guys called Kevin...thousands of them.

• Options
    Kochikens wrote:

I looked for purple hair, and I think I saw some, but....it was hard to tell! Every shot was so short.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Mustang wrote:
    I hear there are earthquakes in SF, and weird red bearded guys called Kevin...thousands of them.

I hear this one wears a hat. Though I suppose an earthquake might take care of that.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    Do they make hats with earthquake resistant stitching now?

You should come down to DC we also have earthquakes, but your hats should be safe from them.

• Options
    @Napp: That's not really the point, because (as you note), whatever you say will likely have no influence over whether I like it or not, whether that comes before I listen to it, or after I listen to it.

And knowing that, I don't like being put through the rigamarole of having my taste/intelligence/breadth of musical knowledge called into question just because I might not like something, which is what you seem to be doing- without even trying to- even as we speak. I don't like GY!BE, I must not have given it a fair shot. I don't want to get into a long winded debate about why I don't like it, my knowledge of music, my articulation, must be lacking. Given that treatment isn't a whole lot of fun for me, nor would it be a whole lot of fun for anyone I might give the same treatment...what's my incentive to seek such conversations? It sounds like an awful way to spend my time.

(Why the hell am I still talking about this? Look, GY!BE sounds like a goddamn fog horn to me, leave me alone!)

• Options
    Mustang wrote:

I hear this one wears a hat. Though I suppose an earthquake might take care of that.

Good to know that the only impression people have of me is 'weird red haired bearded dude with a hat' (even if I haven't worn the hat in over a year).

I'm going to be alone forever, aren't I?

• Options
    Yes

• Options
    What if I peroxided my hair, shaved my beard, and changed my name to Renaldo?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Maybe, but you should probably get some of these just to be safe.
    how_to_get_six_pack_abs.jpg

You should also lift your shirt and point at them everytime someone takes a photograph of you, even your license photo should in some way incorporate your rock hard abs.

Mustang on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am sad about steve jobs, and I'm no where near an apple fanboy, its just goddamn. We dont have another steve jobs. He could have made some crazy shit.

• Options
    Mustang wrote:
    Maybe, but you should probably get some of these just to be safe.
    how_to_get_six_pack_abs.jpg

You should also lift your shirt and point at them everytime someone takes a photograph of you, even your license photo should in some way incorporate your rock hard abs.

So my options are what...exercise to the point where I don't have the time in the day to hold down a real job, or hire a jiggalo with a 6-pack to follow me around all the time?

• Options
    As long as bean counters don't seize control of the apple board I think there will still be a few years of cool things coming from apple.

Steve Jobs was good ideas man, but mostly he was a facilitator and filter of great ideas. Which is a pretty god damned rare thing in a CEO.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    When you have abs they make money on their own, didn't you know? Its pretty nice but they are taxed pretty heavily.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Steve got Pixar up and running in its infancy
    for this alone he get mad respek from me
    Requiescat in Pace, dogg

• Options

So my options are what...exercise to the point where I don't have the time in the day to hold down a real job, or hire a jiggalo with a 6-pack to follow me around all the time?

The first one, also, any spare time not spent in the gym should be spent slowly developing life threatening skin cancers in a tanning salon.

Here is what you should be aiming for:
    2chxkxt.jpg
    How awesome are these guys? You should try to look like them.

Also you should act like a complete dick at every opportunity.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2011
    One of these days I'm going manage to squeeze a compliment out of you jerks.

EDIT: @Mustang: UGH.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular

I think you're a very nice person and give great advice and probably look normal enough despite everyone's claims.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Flay wrote:

My guess is the right side of the cabin in the wide shot of all the staff, but the video is so blurry I can't tell if it's purple or compression.

• Options

EDIT: @Mustang: UGH.

hey! I've said something nice about you, you ginger hermit!

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I'm going to be alone forever, aren't I?

Well, no, since we're getting married.

I just need to make myself good enough for you!

• Options
    edited October 2011

(Why the hell am I still talking about this? Look, GY!BE sounds like a goddamn fog horn to me, leave me alone!)

I have no idea.

What point are you trying to make? Nothing I've said tonight is representative of the conflict you think we're in.

I haven't brought up GY!BE nor have I really tried to convince you they were good. None of the bands I linked to even sound like Godspeed (even Do Make Say Think- they are jazzy). I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to do in these posts. All I've said is that music is fun to talk about and it can be done in a way that isn't "NO UR SUCK"

Maybe instead of assuming I'm saying things that I'm not, read what I'm saying and actually use that to your benefit. If you'll notice, I apologized for misinterpreting one of your statements while you continued your tirade against things I never said and points I never made.

edit: so, instead of having a delightful conversation about music, I keep having to defend myself against things I haven't done.

edit 2: no wonder you think music conversations suck if you handle them like this.

edit 3: that was mean, but I kinda meant it at the time.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    No hint.

• Options
    Kochikens is not a real person
    that's the twist

• Options
    or maybe

She is everyone.

• Options
    Must

By

Tron

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Kochikens is a complex forum bot created by disney interactive designed to subconsciously convince us to buy games about Tron.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    What the hell? How did our posts switch Mustang?

edit: what is going on D:

Nappuccino on

• Options
    @Napp: Sorry, when I made that "17 minutes of fog horn" comment initially I was referring to GY!BE, which you brought up months and months ago, and at the time I was like, 'man, I do not like this at all', and others- I don't remember if you did or not- basically made the point that I must be crazy for not liking them...I guess since you didn't ask 'what the hell are you talking about', I assumed you had made the connection and we were on the same page on that front at least, and it's embarrassing that this whole time there was a sorta huge disconnect there. Probably nothing I said makes any sense without picking up on that (and maybe even then not so much, I don't want to go back through it all).

But you're right, I've probably overextended myself trying to make my point, please forgive me...I think I'll extend my policy about not engaging in debates about music to not engaging in debates about debates about music, since obviously that's not going to go well either.

Shake hands? Friends again?

@PN: Thanks <3
    @MD: I'm really curious what you mean by that last sentence- as far as I can tell, the only thing you lack is 'a location anywhere even remotely near me'. <3

• Options
    It's one of the bugs that kochikens deploys when people talk about kochikens.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Well, it looks like the only way I'm ever going to get anywhere in life is to pull my sleeves up, clench a knife menacingly between my teeth, and just dive the fuck in.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    tee hee <3aob

This discussion has been closed.