As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    Which is what Marvel should have learned to do with these "celebrity author" projects by now anyway.
    Wonder Woman says that DC has this problem as well.

Don't forget Action Comics

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So was the wonder woman arc by Jodi Picoult really bad?

Mai-Kero on
    edited June 2007
    I dropped the book after a 2 page preview of her first issue. I will start reading again when Gail takes over.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Which is what Marvel should have learned to do with these "celebrity author" projects by now anyway.

As far as I know, the Action Comics delays are from the Adam Kubert side of things.
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So was the wonder woman arc by Jodi Picoult really bad?

It got better after the first issue, not stellar, but better.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What's going on with Squadron Supreme these days? I vaugely recall someone saying it had been cancelled, but then I saw there was a mini recently, and the Ultimate Power crossover still seems to be going on.

According to wiki it is still on going, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm either way? I really enjoyed the first two hardcovers, and I've been patiently waiting for the next one... going to be pretty bummed if it never does!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Really I think its one of those things where they're kinda hoping people will forget about it eventually.
    HEY LOOK WWH!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bloods End, or someone else:

Can you give me a list of Star Wars trades I should pick up? I'm a huge fan of Star Wars but never really read any of the comics, besides Dark Empire and a couple of the Droids ones. I'm also a big Wedge fan so which Rogue Squadron books should I get?

smokmnky on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2007

I don't even understand how some of this stuff works. Doesn't anyone have contracts or deadlines any more? Do they just have a "Hey, whenever you can do a new issue that would be neat." agreement?

DMAC on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    Orson Scott Card is too good for comics. Also too cool for school. Or caffeine.

Or gay marriage

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007

I don't even understand how some of this stuff works. Doesn't anyone have contracts or deadlines any more? Do they just have a "Hey, whenever you can do a new issue that would be neat." agreement?

Of course there are deadlines... but that dosent mean they get met, and if the people who are the cause of the delay are also the the people whose name sells the book, they arent gonna say "fuck you" and replace them, because not only will no one buy those issues but now they pissed off someone who might still make them money in the future.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Something I want to know is what the fuck happened to I Am Legion? Cassaday art and it was so awesome.

But no, we only get book 1. Damn it. I want a movie now, too.

Mai-Kero on
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy, or anyone else

Please tell me this cover isnt for real
    265240079aw3.jpg

JCM on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Er, what's wrong with it?

Edit: mind you, I preferred GI Joe when they were Action Force.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2007
    Chainsword!

Mai-Kero on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JCM wrote: »
    Dear Whippy, or anyone else

Please tell me this cover isnt for real
    265240079aw3.jpg

It is real. That is the Dreadnok Buzzer, chasing Mutt's dog Junkyard.

I think I have that issue somewhere. I collected GI Joe comics for a long time, starting when I was about 5.

DouglasDanger on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So did I, but they were Action Force: International Heroes for me. ;-)

Wildcat on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When Marvel and DC retcon a peice of information does that mean that the characters knew of the retcon before we did?

For example when Reed saves Galactus. Even though Galactus at the time was a bad guy, and not the essential force of nature that we know he is now. Could it be reasonable to assume that at the time Reed sorta knew what he was doing? Or did he just get lucky?

Also:

So tomorrow I am going to visit my Girlfriend and becuase she works at Borders she get's a 33% discount.

I'm looking to pick up some Green Lantern Books so I can be caught up on it when the GLC/Sinestro Corps event comes to Trade, but I don't know where to begin. Can somone help me?

DharmaBum on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    So did I, but they were Action Force: International Heroes for me. ;-)

An ironic name, considering that, in the cartoon (and origin stories in the comics, I believe) all the bad guys in G.I. Joe had east European accents, while all the good guys all had american accents, except for the red headed irish guy who was obsessed with fire.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Virral wrote: »
    What's going on with Squadron Supreme these days? I vaugely recall someone saying it had been cancelled, but then I saw there was a mini recently, and the Ultimate Power crossover still seems to be going on.

According to wiki it is still on going, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm either way? I really enjoyed the first two hardcovers, and I've been patiently waiting for the next one... going to be pretty bummed if it never does!

My understanding is that it's not a dead book, but they are probably still trying to line up the creative team to start it back up. That Hyperion vs. Nighthawk mini was probably to test the waters, and Ultimate Power was in the works before the book was cancelled. If we're lucky, one of the projects that Marc Guggenheim mentioned but wouldn't name is a relaunch of the series.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh man. That Hyperion vs Nighthawk mini was so awesome.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    I'm pretty sure that Ultimate Power is going to set up a relaunch of Supreme Power, in some way.

DJ Eebs on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm pretty sure that Ultimate Power is going to set up a relaunch of Supreme Power, in some way.

It's actually kind of a nice surprise to find a new issue every few months.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does Crossbones, the Captain America villain, have any kind of back story at all? There's nothing in wiki about his life before becoming a Red Skull fanboy.

And how is it cost effective for a mercenary like Diamondback to use diamonds as weapons?

And why did Nick Fury go into hiding again? There's mention of arrest warrants, but what did he do exactly that was illegal?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    And why did Nick Fury go into hiding again? There's mention of arrest warrants, but what did he do exactly that was illegal?

You'd be shamed into hiding, too, if you were responsible for Secret War.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does Crossbones, the Captain America villain, have any kind of back story at all? There's nothing in wiki about his life before becoming a Red Skull fanboy.

And how is it cost effective for a mercenary like Diamondback to use diamonds as weapons?

I actually don't think there's much more to him. I have the Official Handbook, so I could check...but it's in a box upstairs. I believe he has a kid, is about the only other interesting thing I remember.

She probably uses synthetic diamond-like-things that are cheap to make, but wouldn't be mistaken for diamonds by anyone that would be buying them. Again...she's in that Handbook somewhere. >.>

Well, if this was recent...Fury should be considered a super-human since he has that Infinity Formula keeping him youthful. Plus all of his training. So if he opposed the registration, that's probably why. Or maybe it was something to do with Secret War or Identity Disk or whatever. I didn't even pretend to keep up with those.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited June 2007
    Are there any interviews with Brubaker about how involved he was in the decision to kill Captain America? Namely, would he have done it if it was strictly his decision?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If he's still working for Marvel, I imagine not.

august on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    He was involved with the meeting where they planned it, and said that had Civil War not happened, he might have done something very similar to the storyline he's doing now anyways.

And I'm not really concerned with whether or not he's telling the truth on the last part, because the last few issues of Cap have been pretty fantastic, leading me to believe that he's at least come to terms with it enough to tell a good story.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    I'd have thought it was nothing more than an editorial mandate, but reading through the current volume of Captain America for the first time doesn't give me the feeling that anything beyond the Civil War itself had been jammed into the pre-existing storyline. In fact, that issue feels more like a return to the series' original course than anything else. The fact that it was Cap's villains, and not Registration, that killed him probably contributes a lot to that feeling.

I wish Cap had had more time to talk to Bucky, though.

And I like Sin a lot.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    He was involved with the meeting where they planned it, and said that had Civil War not happened, he might have done something very similar to the storyline he's doing now anyways.

And I'm not really concerned with whether or not he's telling the truth on the last part, because the last few issues of Cap have been pretty fantastic, leading me to believe that he's at least come to terms with it enough to tell a good story.

Honestly i think Bru is the best writer at Marvel right now, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Cap have all been legendary recently. Even Uncanny wasnt half bad

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Brubaker said he had this storyline in the works before Civil War was planned, if CW handnt have happaned he might not have done it so soon, but reading through the entire run you can kinda tell he wanted to go here eventually.

Also the fact that he says he has 2+ years worth of stories to tell without Cap already planned out leads me to think this was not an editorial mandate.

As for why Nick Fury went underground: Bendis' Secret War mini is the storyline where he leaves and explains the reasons why.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Brubaker said he had this storyline in the works before Civil War was planned, if CW handnt have happaned he might not have done it so soon, but reading through the entire run you can kinda tell he wanted to go here eventually.

Also the fact that he says he has 2+ years worth of stories to tell without Cap already planned out leads me to think this was not an editorial mandate.

As for why Nick Fury went underground: Bendis' Secret War mini is the storyline where he leaves and explains the reasons why.

Was Secret War as bad a mini as the panning it gets on this forums suggests, or is a lot of it bitterness at the failure of its release (five issues in 21 months seems pretty awful)?

Bob The Monkey on
    edited June 2007
    I think most of the flack it gets is for the lateness. It was supposed to finish before New Avengers launched, but the lateness caused the post-Secret War status of Fury to be given away before the final issue came out.

In and of itself it's a pretty good story, and the painted art is lovely.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    The description makes it sound like Fury prevented a second 9/11. Why wouldn't people be more forgiving of him, given that?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    The description makes it sound like Fury prevented a second 9/11. Why wouldn't people be more forgiving of him, given that?

I think it was the fact that he disobeyed direct orders from the president, lied to a bunch of superheros in order to get them to essentially invade a foreign country, then wiped thier memories of the event after it happaned. Then the reprisal almost destroyed New York and almost killed Luke Cage.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My understanding was that it was his actions that nearly CAUSED the second 9/11, since he provoked an assault by the crazy Latverian woman. We don't know what would have happened if they hadn't gone in and wreaked her shit, but the "present day" events (Luke Cage getting blown up and the big assault by all the armour based villains) were a reprisal for the secret war itself.

I quite enjoyed it, but I read it in trade format well after the fact, so I was untainted by how late it was getting it out.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I didn't like it because it seemed like Bendis had no idea how to write the characters. Fury was far more dickish then he should be, and he wrote Wolverine as being drunk. Which can't happen because of his healing factor. And that he had never meet Peter outside of costume before.

Bloods End on
    edited June 2007
    I thought Wolverine was just pretending to be drunk in that scene.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There are a number of reasons not to like it... a few of which have been mentioned. The premise itself (Latveria supplying high tech weaponry to low level street thugs) is pretty flimsy to begin with... but it's not the worst thing ever. Of course, if that's your criteria for judging the worth of something... then I guess you'd probably be pretty happy a lot of the time, come to think of it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    While I like the art as a whole, I really hate how Agent Deus Ex Machina looks exactly like Angelina Jolie.

Unless it's a special circumstance (Ultimate Nick Fury) do not use famous celebrities as models for heroes, it looks pretty silly.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
This discussion has been closed.