As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls! This is the old thread. STOP POSTING HERE

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    Hah, I know what you mean. Unfortunately, Knight Lautrec and the Sun Dude didn't have any patience at all. They both died during the fight. I hope I didn't screw myself for later in the game by letting them die :(

Are those guys who fight with you?
    I'm talking of the rat boss and gaping dragon vagina thing. Maybe I did something different, since I saw no NPCs with me on either. Both beaten on my first try though... stupid easy.

You need to human

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The intro to the massive hardback guide I am holding in my hands is awesome.

Prepare to die less!

How many times did we die before you could actually hold this guide in your hands? 100 times? 1000 times? Who the hell knows. Chances are we died more times in this game than in all other games of 2011 put together. And for what? For the sole purpose of offering you guidance. We died so that you don't have to.

But you're still going to die.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    So, New Londo... why. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't shit coming out of the walls and floor that you can't hit back.

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote:
    Okay, that's a pretty hilarious farming method. Where exactly is that bonfire and the key needed to access it?
    The gate is in darkroot garden, pretty much just run straight down the path from the smith and you'll see it. The bonfire is right next to the gate behind a trick wall. You open the gate by buying the key off the smith for 20k souls.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote:
    The intro to the massive hardback guide I am holding in my hands is awesome.

Prepare to die less!

How many times did we die before you could actually hold this guide in your hands? 100 times? 1000 times? Who the hell knows. Chances are we died more times in this game than in all other games of 2011 put together. And for what? For the sole purpose of offering you guidance. We died so that you don't have to.

But you're still going to die.

Hahahahaha.

So wait,
    if you actually spend the time shooting the dragon's tail at the bridge 50 times you get a sword? and 200 times to actually kill him to get armor?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Badwrong wrote:
    Aegeri wrote:
    I am just not getting lucky again :( I lost my opportunity to kill him sigh.

Edit: FINALLY!!! Got so fucking lucky! Didn't leap attack and took the dog out first try. Method immediately worked. If only he left a corpse that I could defile to show my appreciation for the last two hours.

Cool. Only one dog engaged you right?

Next two bosses are fucking CAKE if you are still heading down into the sewers.

And when I say cake... I mean one can't hit you if you bring a bow and the other is just sooooooo slow and easy he will never hit you if you have even a tiny bit of patience.

Yeah, this method works infinitely better than the staircase one. I honestly wish I had a TV capture card, because he was navigating up those stairs like a fucking pro (most people suggest he gets stuck or falls off). Plus he had no shame when he actually leap attacked me from there.

Honestly, that boss is a piece of shit not because he's hard, but because he's 100% luck dependent. Does the dog get to you before he leap attacks? Do you manage to get a lucky swing that takes the dog out? I must have died 8 times attempting the method that actually worked flawlessly once I got it the second time (first time I just did something stupid and deserved to die) it was an instant win. The dog leapt into my sword and he felt like walking up to me instead of leaping. Because of that I won trivially, where every time before I stood no chance (especially using the staircase method).

But then this game just made up for it with the Drake, which I'm 100% certain is a really random bug:
    In the undead parish there is a spiral staircase with a black knight up the top. I saw this earlier after dispatching the knight and realized I could shoot the dragon trivially from that spot. I got up there, pulled out my short bow and one shot later I had 10,000 souls. It was a total WTF moment for me. It's definitely not supposed to be this way? Either way, after all the bullshit the game had put me through I was more than happy to just accept it. Felt really weird though.

Also was that giant rat a boss? I managed to fall behind it* and I just shot it to death with arrows without a fight. I mean it's a nice change of pace from the bullshit I just went through, but I didn't even realize it was a boss!

Dropping down the alcove behind where the guy with the clever is
    Etiowsa wrote:
    So, New Londo... why. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't shit coming out of the walls and floor that you can't hit back.

This threw me as well until I came back here. It was really bad timing on the stupid boss as well, because the ghosts were driving me banana's and then right into an awful boss - it wasn't great at all. You're meant to go there much later in the game when you can handle them better, not immediately and so you should go somewhere else.

I would love to know what makes it so ghosts give you souls. The worst part of fighting them is the knowledge you get nothing for it. In a game where death has this big a penalty, that's a really sucky kind of enemy to have.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote:
    Vi Monks wrote:
    Okay, that's a pretty hilarious farming method. Where exactly is that bonfire and the key needed to access it?
    The gate is in darkroot garden, pretty much just run straight down the path from the smith and you'll see it. The bonfire is right next to the gate behind a trick wall. You open the gate by buying the key off the smith for 20k souls.

Cool, thanks.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    50/50 shot this'll be waiting in the mailbox when I get home.

I'm getting nervous... is it normal to be nervous before your first time?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Ya I sniped that rat too... was stupid easy. But I got cursed and missed out on what he drops since it was gone when I returned.

That thing about killing the dragon has to be a glitch or something. For me, when I got up to where that black knight was the dragon isn't there at all. But if I go back to the bridge below him I see him and can snipe him until hes about half HP, and then he heals up from there. Its odd cause Ive read that people got him to move from doing random things... yet I'm level 40 and done all different parts of the game out of order and when I come back the dragon is still there.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Saw this on GAF, x-posting for the win.
    Namco wrote:
    First "official" response on Namco Bandai's website

Due to several contacts we've received from users confused as to how the summoning feature works in game, we have provided this list to help.

Conditions for summoning (White Sign Soapstone):

The host (person who's game world will be used) must be human. The client (person joining the game) can either be human or undead.

The client’s level must fall within 10% (above or below) of the host’s level. Generally, this example formula should give you a good idea on whether you will be able to join: (LC x 1.1) ≥ LH ≥ (LC x 0.9), where is LC the level of the client and LH is the level of the host. For example, if the level of the host is 20, then they will only be able to summon players who are levels 18 to 22.

The area boss (Taurus Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, etc…) in the host’s world must still be alive. A client can still be summoned even if the client has already defeated their own area boss.

The host must not have placed down a summoning sign. Summoning signs from other players will not appear in a host’s world if the host also has placed a summoning sign down. This is to prevent a network conflict of the host joining someone else's game world while the clients are trying to join the host's game world.

After successfully summoning, the client will return to their world if the area boss is defeated, the client is killed or the host is killed.
    Also, please note that there are several different servers/lobbies that are being used for Dark Souls, so you may not be able to summon a specific friend into your game even if you adhere to the steps above. We can only recommend that you follow the steps above for the best chance at being able to join a specific friends' game.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So you can be human and be summoned to another persons world: Interesting, I knew I wasn't going crazy earlier!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So it works 100% exactly like Demon's Souls except you can be in human form and summoned.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Still no farming spot as good as Demon's Souls and the room where you shoot that guy who causes everything in the room to die, and then you suicide and repeat?

Hope a spot like that is found. I'm bored of killing geckos and am gonna go do that spot in the garden.

So I does this game not have the massive type of shields that were in the previous game? The wiki is still rather incomplete, and I dont see any there yet.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Fuck Black Phantoms. Fuck going human. Honestly. I go human to try to get Soltaire to assist with the Gaping Dragon so I can get a medallion from him, but not 10 seconds after I burn a humanity, I get invaded. I wait in the bonfire room, and it's some dude wearing kick-ass looking armor, wielding a Black Knight Greatsword (I have one too, but not the str or dex to use it properly) and he upgraded it with Lightning. I was dead in 2 hits. :(

Waste of fucking time to even bother going human when you get invaded so quickly and can't hack it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Fuck Black Phantoms. Fuck going human. Honestly. I go human to try to get Soltaire to assist with the Gaping Dragon so I can get a medallion from him, but not 10 seconds after I burn a humanity, I get invaded. I wait in the bonfire room, and it's some dude wearing kick-ass looking armor, wielding a Black Knight Greatsword (I have one too, but not the str or dex to use it properly) and he upgraded it with Lightning. I was dead in 2 hits. :(

Waste of fucking time to even bother going human when you get invaded so quickly and can't hack it.

play offline if you don't like it. it's a fundamental part of the whole online experience.

also, that's a fluke or you're just supremely unlucky. I've spent a lot of the time human for farming items and etc, I still haven't been invaded. except by an NPC.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: While playing earlier today I encountered a weird translucent white orb crab thing (I honestly don't know what to call it). When I killed it the thing exploded in a ton of soul items (about 5 I think?). What the hell was that thing and why did it turn up? It appeared in the tower of Undeadburg (heading towards the first boss).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    What do I do with unwanted items in this game (all the hollow wraps and stuff) do I just chuck it away, or is there someone I can sell it to?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Unplug the network cable if there is a specific thing that needs doing while human that would fuck up a specific thing in the game world.

Although the whole pvp and invasion thing is "cool"... its also stupid like you described. Where someone builds specifically to kill others all day for no reason. I remember magic missile build in Demon's Souls could go rape almost anyone who didn't also have great ranged attacks, since you could just damage people through their blocking.

It does feel awesome though to kill someone when they invade.... and I remember in the previous game when I would have more than one blue phantom with me and how terribly easy it was to team up against a poor single black phantom player.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    tbloxham wrote:
    What do I do with unwanted items in this game (all the hollow wraps and stuff) do I just chuck it away, or is there someone I can sell it to?

Someone said there is a reason to keep it for "getting rich later". I haven't seen any other info though, so that might be full of shit. The bottomless box is only 1000 souls though, so you can eventually just stash that shit up and keep your inventory tidy.

Its so spiffy in this one how stuff weighs nothing until equipped. Many decent items I passed up in the previous game due to not being able to hold more.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    I can't even adequately tell you how much I appreciate that design decision. It's just inspired, especially as there is no easy way to sell crap that I can see.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Don't get me wrong. I understand that Black Phantom invasions are a fundamental aspect of the game, but right now, this early on, I feel like the odds of being invaded are skewed. People are mainly going to go through the game undead to avoid this until they beat it, or feel they're ready to take on invaders. If you're human now, you should hope to find some white signs because you're probably going to need it. And unlike Demon's Souls, there is much more to being a human in this game because it affects more stats and dialog. Important factors - not just 50% of your HP.

I'm just not going to bother using any more humanity for now.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    hrmm, decided to give the valley of the drakes a go
    I'm fighting that guy early on with the poison breath. he doesn't seem too hard--it's pretty easy to bait his breath to one side, run to the other, then hit his talon. He seems to always one shot me with his swipe on the left side, so maybe the range is different on that side.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:

Yes, you can "sell" items later.
    An NPC named Frampt will eat them and give you souls. Not sure where to find him.

• Options
    OK, and another question I guess. If I put down my summoning stone, and get summoned and we kill a boss, do I get credit for the kill? Does it count as dead in my world too? Or do I have to be the one doing the summoning to get credit. Oh, and I do get souls in the other persons world right?

And I guess, one more basic question, how do I gain humanity other than by killing bosses? I mean, I need it to help me kill bosses... I think I get it sometimes just by killing stuff.

And one question that I've seen nothing about, do I get anything for having good rated messages? Do other people get things when I rate their messages. I've been uprating all the good messages I see, but have never got anything on my messages.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Nope, it's not dead in your world but you share in the souls and get precious humanity. You will need to kill that boss in your own world to have it be "properly" dead. Incidentally, I didn't mention this earlier but I got my humanity being summoned into other peoples games (once I restarted the game, which fixed my issue with the summoning stone). I miss that humanity so much :(

I have no idea why I randomly pick up like 1 humanity at times though. So confusing!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote:

Someone said there is a reason to keep it for "getting rich later". I haven't seen any other info though, so that might be full of shit. The bottomless box is only 1000 souls though, so you can eventually just stash that shit up and keep your inventory tidy.

Its so spiffy in this one how stuff weighs nothing until equipped. Many decent items I passed up in the previous game due to not being able to hold more.

Where do you get the box from?

Also, Alucard:
    If you have a ranged weapon or spells you can just stand outside of his poison breath range and plink him to death. That's what I did, being the giant coward that I am.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Nope, it's not dead in your world but you share in the souls and get precious humanity. You will need to kill that boss in your own world to have it be "properly" dead. Incidentally, I didn't mention this earlier but I got my humanity being summoned into other peoples games (once I restarted the game, which fixed my issue with the summoning stone). I miss that humanity so much :(

I have no idea why I randomly pick up like 1 humanity at times though. So confusing!

It's an item that you can use to get a humanity point, just like the soul items you can use to gain souls. They are nice because you can decide when to use them so you don't risk using them. For example I like to save my humanity items until I know I am going to be doing a relatively safe farming run.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Badwrong wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote:

Where do you get the box from?

Also, Alucard:
    If you have a ranged weapon or spells you can just stand outside of his poison breath range and plink him to death. That's what I did, being the giant coward that I am.

I tend to be a fascist in this game about using melee and only melee, no matter how many dragons or what have you are easily defeated by ranged or spells.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    More power to ya Alucard, I rolled a spellcaster so... melee is scary!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    OK, and another question I guess. If I put down my summoning stone, and get summoned and we kill a boss, do I get credit for the kill? Does it count as dead in my world too? Or do I have to be the one doing the summoning to get credit. Oh, and I do get souls in the other persons world right?

And I guess, one more basic question, how do I gain humanity other than by killing bosses? I mean, I need it to help me kill bosses... I think I get it sometimes just by killing stuff.

And one question that I've seen nothing about, do I get anything for having good rated messages? Do other people get things when I rate their messages. I've been uprating all the good messages I see, but have never got anything on my messages.

In Demon souls when someone would rate your comment positively, you would get healed. Now im wondering if that is what occasionally will grant you an extra flask charge.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote:
    In Demon souls when someone would rate your comment positively, you would get healed. Now im wondering if that is what occasionally will grant you an extra flask charge.

I haven't left any comments and very randomly (and rarely) I get a humanity number increase and sometimes more flask charges.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    I believe you get more flask charges by using a bonfire that has been buffed by people spending humanity on it. I think.

• Options
    Badwrong wrote:
    azith28 wrote:

I haven't left any comments and very randomly (and rarely) I get a humanity number increase and sometimes more flask charges.

I think that maybe when you are in the area and someone kills a boss you get something. Although, I think the lack of humanity might be what is causing the absence of summoning signs. Since you must be human to summon, I think a lot of people are just always at zero humanity! Clearly it's supposed to be a percolation effect, helping people gets you humanity, which you can use to let you summon more people but I think the people who are human aren't summoning as much as they wanted and so there's not enough new humanity being generated.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I believe you get more flask charges by using a bonfire that has been buffed by people spending humanity on it. I think.

If someone kindles the bonfire, the last person to use it before them gets an extra flask. Oh, and kindling a fire gives you 5 more charges, not 1. I'd been not doing it since it didn't seem like a big deal, but 5 extra per use is pretty cool.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Is there a place that explains covenants clearly and in detail? I joined the covenant of the miracle-selling guy in Firelink shrine. The game goes "You are now part of the ____ covenant" (I think it's called Way of the White) - and that's it. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing now? I know that if you break a covenant your name goes in a book or something, but I don't know what actions count as breaking a covenant.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Is there a place that explains covenants clearly and in detail? I joined the covenant of the miracle-selling guy in Firelink shrine. The game goes "You are now part of the ____ covenant" (I think it's called Way of the White) - and that's it. Is there something I'm supposed to be doing now? I know that if you break a covenant your name goes in a book or something, but I don't know what actions count as breaking a covenant.

Joining another covenant or attacking one of your covenants NPC's are as far as I know the only way to break the agreement.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Adda wrote: »

Joining another covenant or attacking one of your covenants NPC's are as far as I know the only way to break the agreement.
    After you ring the bell after the gargoyle boss, in that tower an NPC appears that can absolve you of your sins. He has a "leave covenant" option that I used to leave the covenant of the white. I don't know if this method keeps your name from going in the book. But I'm not even sure if breaking a convenant gets your name in a book at all. That book (which this NPC also sells btw) seems to be about invaders, not covenant breakers.

• Options
    Yes, that book is made by players who have indicted others for invading. Matt from Giantbomb is conspicuously near the top of the list last I looked.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote:
    I think that maybe when you are in the area and someone kills a boss you get something. Although, I think the lack of humanity might be what is causing the absence of summoning signs. Since you must be human to summon, I think a lot of people are just always at zero humanity! Clearly it's supposed to be a percolation effect, helping people gets you humanity, which you can use to let you summon more people but I think the people who are human aren't summoning as much as they wanted and so there's not enough new humanity being generated.

Hmm... so the consumable item "humanity" also grants an increase right? Cause I have... I dunno... 40-50 of them since I was farming souls for 20 levels on rats and the curse geckos.

I guess I've missed out on some places that I need to be human by not using much of those. I know I scared off the lady and the spell vendor by being hallow and talking to her. I haven't really bothered with any spells though, wondering if I can get the same ones from the guy who's now gone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    I wish there was a way to tell what the symbols under my HP/Stamina bar meant. One of the rings I can equip gives me once (and also makes my character radiate white light) but, no idea what it's actually doing.