As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls! This is the old thread. STOP POSTING HERE

1929394959698»

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I bought a few of those things where you list the names of people who invaded you, I think they're called blue papers or something. The NPC goes "stocking up blue papers? How honorable of you."

God damn. Dark Souls just basically just called me a snitch.

Also, we're gonna need a new OP pretty soon at this rate.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hunter all the way.

Someone mentioned a bottomless box? Where is that at? I got the repair box from the "first" merchant and the orange soap stone.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Nope, it's not dead in your world but you share in the souls and get precious humanity. You will need to kill that boss in your own world to have it be "properly" dead. Incidentally, I didn't mention this earlier but I got my humanity being summoned into other peoples games (once I restarted the game, which fixed my issue with the summoning stone). I miss that humanity so much :(

I have no idea why I randomly pick up like 1 humanity at times though. So confusing!

It's an item that you can use to get a humanity point, just like the soul items you can use to gain souls. They are nice because you can decide when to use them so you don't risk using them. For example I like to save my humanity items until I know I am going to be doing a relatively safe farming run.

I think he's referring to the point of humanity you can get for killing enemies in areas you haven't beaten the boss yet. You can start getting a point randomly after you kill about 10 of them.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Is the thing about leaving loot and it turning into phantoms to attack others true or not?

I am leaving armored zombie crap lying around like it's going out of style and I demand a feedback method to know I'm hurting people.

/twitch.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:
    I think that maybe when you are in the area and someone kills a boss you get something. Although, I think the lack of humanity might be what is causing the absence of summoning signs. Since you must be human to summon, I think a lot of people are just always at zero humanity! Clearly it's supposed to be a percolation effect, helping people gets you humanity, which you can use to let you summon more people but I think the people who are human aren't summoning as much as they wanted and so there's not enough new humanity being generated.

Hmm... so the consumable item "humanity" also grants an increase right? Cause I have... I dunno... 40-50 of them since I was farming souls for 20 levels on rats and the curse geckos.

I guess I've missed out on some places that I need to be human by not using much of those. I know I scared off the lady and the spell vendor by being hallow and talking to her. I haven't really bothered with any spells though, wondering if I can get the same ones from the guy who's now gone.

Yeah, there's no point in having 40 of them. You should turn human and use up 10 humanity points, it will increase your item drop rate 200%. You can also throw humanity (once you have it on yourself, not in the item) in the bonfire to get LOADS more estus flasks on a recharge (forever) and it also helps the last person who used the fire.

I reckon down the line they are going to have to buff 'humanity' both in effect and drop rate. Make it give you 0.5% extra damage or whatever, and make it more obvious how you get it.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Hunter all the way.

Someone mentioned a bottomless box? Where is that at? I got the repair box from the "first" merchant and the orange soap stone.

If I remember correctly, the bottomless box is at the merchant by the gaping dragon in the depths.

Magic Pink wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Nope, it's not dead in your world but you share in the souls and get precious humanity. You will need to kill that boss in your own world to have it be "properly" dead. Incidentally, I didn't mention this earlier but I got my humanity being summoned into other peoples games (once I restarted the game, which fixed my issue with the summoning stone). I miss that humanity so much :(

I have no idea why I randomly pick up like 1 humanity at times though. So confusing!

It's an item that you can use to get a humanity point, just like the soul items you can use to gain souls. They are nice because you can decide when to use them so you don't risk using them. For example I like to save my humanity items until I know I am going to be doing a relatively safe farming run.

I think he's referring to the point of humanity you can get for killing enemies in areas you haven't beaten the boss yet. You can start getting a point randomly after you kill about 10 of them.

So, if I kill guys in my own game in an area where the boss isn't dead I might gain humanity? So, right now I'm in the church area with the gargoyles as the boss. If I kill skeleton knights, I might gain some humanity?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have to admit, I got into the depths and after killing the giant rat boss I was all "Fuck this shit, I'm out of here" and used a bone charm (or whatever it is). No way I was staying in there and I was damn confused by that point as to even where I was.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    tbloxham wrote:
    Yeah, there's no point in having 40 of them. You should turn human and use up 10 humanity points, it will increase your item drop rate 200%. You can also throw humanity (once you have it on yourself, not in the item) in the bonfire to get LOADS more estus flasks on a recharge (forever) and it also helps the last person who used the fire.

I reckon down the line they are going to have to buff 'humanity' both in effect and drop rate. Make it give you 0.5% extra damage or whatever, and make it more obvious how you get it.

Mm, from what I heard that's not true. You get increased drop rate, yes, but there's severe diminishing returns.

tbloxham wrote:
    So, if I kill guys in my own game in an area where the boss isn't dead I might gain humanity? So, right now I'm in the church area with the gargoyles as the boss. If I kill skeleton knights, I might gain some humanity?

Related, we need a list of what constitutes the boss of each area.

Is Undead Burg the Taurus Demon?

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Aegeri wrote:
    I have to admit, I got into the depths and after killing the giant rat boss I was all "Fuck this shit, I'm out of here" and used a bone charm (or whatever it is). No way I was staying in there and I was damn confused by that point as to even where I was.

Nooooo... the area is really really easy as long as you don't go getting cursed. And I mentioned before, those geckos things that curse you are GREAT farm. Once you have a feel for how to kill them they are stupid easy... they only can be trouble if you go around pissing a ton of them off at once.

And the BIG boss in that area is a total joke. I beat him first try while hollowed, apparently its even easier if you do him while alive... he is stupidly fucking slow and open to being attacked from behind.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    Aegeri wrote:

Nooooo... the area is really really easy as long as you don't go getting cursed. And I mentioned before, those geckos things that curse you are GREAT farm. Once you have a feel for how to kill them they are stupid easy.

And the BIG boss in that area is a total joke. I beat him first try while hollowed, apparently its even easier if you do him while alive... he is stupidly fucking slow and open to being attacked from behind.

This is all true. The Depths are super easy if you have just a little bit of patience. Not a single dangerous enemy in the whole place if you move cautiously.

Vi Monks wrote:
    This is all true. The Depths are super easy if you have just a little bit of patience. Not a single dangerous enemy in the whole place if you move cautiously.

Its a major risk vs reward area... as being cursed is fucking painfully shitty, and will cost you much more time than any death normally would. But god damn, once you realize how easy the enemies who curse you are... farm the fuck outta them. I'm still saved in that area, and after work I'm farming them for 20k more souls so I can go do the bigger farming in the garden.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I spend more souls on upgrading shit and buying shit than I do leveling. I've been level 25 for such a long time. I do have a Pyro glove +4 or +5, don't remember. I need to check out that farming spot in the basin, I need mad souls.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Oh, that was glorious.

Y'all who've been through the first leg of the forest:
    On the way to the Butterfly, those Stone Golems? Well I got a 40 str stone sword off one, and it comes with the "HAW, YOU SLOW NOW" special ability on top of split physical and magic damage. I just used it on a Dick-ass Thief who was rolling around like a thing that rolls a lot. Poor guy just stood there confused while I smashed his skull.

Regarding Nito's initial reward:
    Anyone else joined him and futzed with his sword? It's got this huge poison rating but nothing I've hit with it has lived long enough to be poisoned. ;-;

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Can you invade other people while in human form?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote:
    I spend more souls on upgrading shit and buying shit than I do leveling. I've been level 25 for such a long time. I do have a Pyro glove +4 or +5, don't remember. I need to check out that farming spot in the basin, I need mad souls.

I haven't upgraded or bought a damn thing besides the essentials, but then again I'm back at the dragon tail.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Seems I lucked out with getting a Black Knight Sword and Black Knight Greatsword drops? Pretty incredible weapons, and fits in nicely with my DBS playstyle from DeSo :P

Beaten Bell Gargoyles and Moonlight Butterfly, not sure where to go next.
    What do I do with the soul the butterfly dropped? Gave the Divine Ember to the blacksmith but not seeing anything new

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Regarding the Butterfly Soul:
    Apparently it can be used with a +10 shield or spear to make unique items. I hear the shield is nicer.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm still using the drake sword, I haven't actually upgraded weapons. I've just been buying shit and upgrading my glove, souls seem a lot harder to come by in Dark Souls compared to Demon's Souls.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    How do you drop stuff? I want to leave some of this hollowed soldier stuff about for some phantoms.

steam_sig.png
    Peff wrote:
    How do you drop stuff? I want to leave some of this hollowed soldier stuff about for some phantoms.

Allegedly, that only works if you don't loot it to begin with. So, if you see a glow, don't pick it up.

That being said, I'd really love some proof that I'm spawning black phantoms or how long it needs to rot before that happens.

Has anyone seen any messages with a rating of more than 5? I'm thinking that maybe the positive or negative rating only shows up above a certain level, if you look, when you rate a message whether you rate up or down the rating always goes up. I'm thinking the grey face might eventually change color to a human or 'evil' face depending on how it is rated.

• Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    Oy vey, 3 more hours and I can go home and play!

When the thread hit's 99 pages I will go ahead and throw up the new thread.

steam_sig.png
    Oy vey, 3 more hours and I can go home and play!

When the thread hit's 99 pages I will go ahead and throw up the new thread.

We're pretty much there if you want to do it now =o.

Also can someone else confirm what we get from shooting the dragon's tail/head at the bridge with aarows for 2 hours?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Probably a silly question but, if you are a human, and drop a sign using your white soapstone and join someone else's game to help them out, you stay human right? Or do you become a hollow?

Inquisitor on
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Probably a silly question but, if you are a human, and drop a sign using your white soapstone and join someone else's game to help them out, you stay human right? Or do you become a hollow?

If you die you go Hollow.

We're pretty much there if you want to do it now =o.

Also can someone else confirm what we get from shooting the dragon's tail/head at the bridge with aarows for 2 hours?

If you get him to half health or so you will get a sword. You can also break his tail which does the same, but you dont specifically have to break off its tail.

Some people have gotten him killed by what seems random glitchyness... but it gave them 10k souls. Sitting there just sniping him wont kill him though, he will heal. Apparently the times he has died has been from 1 arrow at certain spots or some shit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SpicyStacy288SpicyStacy288 Registered User regular
    has anybody tried shooting the dragon from the black knight tower and not have him die? i mean as far as i know there's nothing else of value up there to be guarded.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    More importantly, is there a reason NOT to kill the dragon this way?

I've gotten the drake sword, but wouldnt mind a quick 10k souls, along with whatever that is on the ground in front of him.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    having the stats to wield the black knight sword one-handed is awesome. i just murdalized the gargoyles pretty hard. unfortunately, during my first attempt, the NPC i summoned died. oh well.

• WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Hello friends. Question from a guy who has the interwebs only intermittently... I know the experience solo sounds a little ronery, no messages or ghosts or whatnot when you are moping around with a Live Silver account. But is the game still bearable all by your lonesome?

And maybe will that be some sort of boon the few months of the year when I have access? Other than a lack of experience at pvp would I have saved up a bunch of items that are only really useful in multiplayer? Silly questions maybe.

Witchsight.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Witchsight wrote:
    Hello friends. Question from a guy who has the interwebs only intermittently... I know the experience solo sounds a little ronery, no messages or ghosts or whatnot when you are moping around with a Live Silver account. But is the game still bearable all by your lonesome?

And maybe will that be some sort of boon the few months of the year when I have access? Other than a lack of experience at pvp would I have saved up a bunch of items that are only really useful in multiplayer? Silly questions maybe.

Every bonus you get from multi is offset by a penalty. Yeah, you can get help but you can also get invaded and eviscerated. Single player is just fine.

has anybody tried shooting the dragon from the black knight tower and not have him die? i mean as far as i know there's nothing else of value up there to be guarded.

I dont see the dragon anywhere when I got up top of the black knight tower. The dragon is clearly still there though, when I am down below on the bridge areas.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Alright, wow. I abided everything in this game right up until Blighttown, but that place can just fuck right off. I'm not really itching to play 'Swamp level in Demon's Souls 2.0'. I guess it's off to another area for me for a while.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So someone decide whether or not I need to restart after killing 1-1's merchant. :(

Can I get regular/heavy arrows from ANYONE else?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    just figure everything out in NG+. I killed the first guy you meet at the campfire. Womp.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577