As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...Also AP Bio, The Mick, and Mythic Quest

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote:
    Charlie Day was fantastic in Horrible Bosses.

That movie was actually way better than I thought it would be, mainly due to the trio's chemistry.

Personally, I thought the initial revenge fantasy, Motherfucker Jones, and everything Charlie did were the only good parts of the movie. The rest of it was fairly boring.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    "Sob. Sob you bitch!"
    "Wolf Cola. The RIGHT cola. The cola of closure."

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    the picture of the baby was unbelievable

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    I'm pretty sure it was Rob and Caitlin's actual son; which makes it even more darker.

• GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    the picture of the baby was unbelievable
    The contents of the coffin had a bit more impact for me.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    2010-Too soon

That killed me. Loved how they also acknowledged this was the darkest/craziest thing they had done.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This season. This fucking season!

616610-1.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So, I've been hearing about this show for awhile now, but never got to watch it. Reviewing the OP, I cant help but see some similarities in the theme and characters, so check me if im way off on the comparisons

Paddy's - Cheers
    Rob McElhenney as "Mac" - Cliff Clavin
    Danny DeVito as "Frank Reynolds" - Rebecca Howe
    Glenn Howerton as "Dennis Reynolds" - Sam Malone
    Charlie Day as "Charlie Kelly" - Coach
    Kaitlin Olson as "Deandra 'Sweet Dee' Reynolds" - Diane

Next, Since i just learned from the OP that DeVito isnt in the first season, should it be skipped or is there an actual ongoing story that is important enough to stick to.

I'll probably pick up a season or two, but just wanted to find out what im getting into.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The first season is still pretty funny.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    the first season is pretty funny, short enough to bang out in a few hours, and worth watching just for having a benchmark against which to measure the later ridiculousness of each character

and no, nothing like cheers, the comparison i used to give a few years ago was Seinfeld with even worse people, but I don't think that can even fit anymore. Seinfeld with utter and total sociopaths

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The first season is good and worth seeing. The biggest problem is that (by their own admission) they didn't know how to write for Dee at first, so in the earliest produced episodes, she's this weird "voice of reason"-ish character that doesn't quite work. They only hit on the Dee that you see from S2 onwards on a few episodes, like "Underage Drinking" and "Gang Finds a Dead Guy" (which were the final two produced episodes of the season, though aired in the different order).

Still, most of the episodes themselves are really funny.

Captain Tragedy on
    Mac has also changed quite a bit. He was pretty dull at first but quickly grew into a hilarious character.

616610-1.png
    I personally don't think there are any seasons or even any eps you should skip if you want to get into this show.

it's all funny and it gets better and better, but not in a way that makes the early stuff bad or not fun to watch. I still watch s1 eps from time to time.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This is shaping up to be one of the funniest seasons of any television show, ever.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also, the introduction of characters who play a huge part in season one and become bit characters in the future (the waitress for example) make for a need to watch the beginning.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I would recommend watching the first season too. Though there's something to be said about Frank's 4 minute descent into total madness.

Synthesis on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Variable wrote:
    I personally don't think there are any seasons or even any eps you should skip if you want to get into this show.

it's all funny and it gets better and better, but not in a way that makes the early stuff bad or not fun to watch. I still watch s1 eps from time to time.

agreed. right off the bat the racism and homophobia in the very first fuckin episode is off the charts. its not as insane as it gets later, but its definitely plenty ridiculous and still very funny.

plus Charlie got Molested? Gun Fever? hilarious! I loved season one.

valiance on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    In s1 when the crazy religious chick looks at Mac after he shows her the list of doctors he's going to kill and she mentions that there are already two marked off and he just looks at her and says "I know," I lost my shit and that was when I knew I would be hooked on the show. I would advise anybody who likes funny to watch every episode of this show.

Also, watch The League. My wife knows next to nothing about football, and though she misses some of the football player related jokes, she agrees that it's one of the funniest shows on tv as well.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:
    So, I've been hearing about this show for awhile now, but never got to watch it. Reviewing the OP, I cant help but see some similarities in the theme and characters, so check me if im way off on the comparisons

Paddy's - Cheers
    Rob McElhenney as "Mac" - Cliff Clavin
    Danny DeVito as "Frank Reynolds" - Rebecca Howe
    Glenn Howerton as "Dennis Reynolds" - Sam Malone
    Charlie Day as "Charlie Kelly" - Coach
    Kaitlin Olson as "Deandra 'Sweet Dee' Reynolds" - Diane
    Joshmvii wrote:
    In s1 when the crazy religious chick [that Mac is trying to sleep with] looks at Mac after he shows her the list of doctors he's going to kill and she mentions that there are already two marked off and he just looks at her and says "I know,"

Classic Cliff.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    They could have played it off. "I told you we should have paid for embalming."

Disrupter wrote:
    Mac has also changed quite a bit. He was pretty dull at first but quickly grew into a hilarious character.

o_0; Mac dates a dude and a crazy religious chick, as well as attempts to get an elementary school teacher to rape him - his character was anything but dull. I would definitely say The Dee was the one with the growing pains. Dennis and Charlie have largely remained the same.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:

o_0; Mac dates a dude and a crazy religious chick, as well as attempts to get an elementary school teacher to rape him - his character was anything but dull. I would definitely say The Dee was the one with the growing pains. Dennis and Charlie have largely remained the same.

I saw an interview where the Dee character was talking about getting hired for the show, and they basically had not written her at all. They had written everyone at least least a little bit, but not her. So yeah, it sounds like she developed as the show ran.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Fencingsax wrote:
    ED! wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:

I saw an interview where the Dee character was talking about getting hired for the show, and they basically had not written her at all. They had written everyone at least least a little bit, but not her. So yeah, it sounds like she developed as the show ran.

Yeah, on the S1 and S2 DVD's there's a featurette about her audition, and they actually had her read the Dennis part for when Charlie told him about being diagnosed with cancer and Dennis barely gave a shit. She was really excited about playing such an asshole, and then she found out that it wasn't actually her character and was bummed out when in the first few episodes she's was pretty much going "C'mon, you guys..." when the other characters were doing crazy/horrible shit.

Captain Tragedy on
    Fencingsax wrote:
    ED! wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:

Yeah, on the S1 and S2 DVD's there's a featurette about her audition, and they actually had her read the Dennis part for when Charlie told him about being diagnosed with cancer and Dennis barely gave a shit. She was really excited about playing such an asshole, and then she found out that it wasn't actually her character and was bummed out when in the first few episodes she's was pretty much going "C'mon, you guys..." when the other characters were doing crazy/horrible shit.

That's where I saw it.

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    ED! wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:

That's where I saw it.

Dee's personality in the first few episodes has never bothered me much because I always saw her as a very holier-than-thou person. She has no trouble being the voice of reason when it's about someone else's problems; it's when it's about her that she gives in to the same mix of greed, stupidity, and idealism that so often gets the gang into a mess. For example, in the sweatshop episode from season 3 ("The Aluminum Monster vs Fatty Magoo") she berates Charlie for trying to shoplift, and is the only one of the group that seems to realize that the sweatshop is a terrible idea and that Dennis' designs are crap, but at the same time is blind to how foolish she herself is being in trying to one-up her old friend.

edited October 2011

EH the events happening to mac were not dull, but HE was. He did not have any of his defining character traits then. He was just a guy. No project badass tapes, no round house kicking, no optical pat-downs. He was not the sheriff of patties. He did not cultivate mass. He didnt have his father issues or obsession with Chase Utley. He was just a dude with minimal personality who was involved in interesting stuff.

It wasnt until season 2 that they started making him who he was. Maybe in the early episodes they snuck in some of his religious character, but thats about it.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    I love how funny the gang is off the show. Kaitlin Oslon's interview on Conan is hysterical, I can only imagine what her child will grow to be like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ein_pX5JQY

I also found out why Mac is now fat. Evidently he did it as a joke to counter the fact that normally as a show progresses on TV the cast begins to look better where as in real life people tend to get uglier over time. According to Charlie, he came to the rest of the cast during the off season with the proposal for all of them to get fat and he was the only one that followed through with it, gaining 50 pounds for this season.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    oh hey Lance Reddick. It's been a while.
    That's the second Wire cameo I've seen in Sunny

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH THIS!

I liked that a lot, even though it really wasn't loaded with laughs the way a normal episode is.

I was dying laughing. That was a top 5 ep to me.

that's strange - I didn't really enjoy that at all. I would rank it closer to the bottom 5 than the top. what'd you like about it?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    y2jake215 wrote:
    that's strange - I didn't really enjoy that at all. I would rank it closer to the bottom 5 than the top. what'd you like about it?

I liked the wire cameo. I liked the joke about frank getting 2 years while the guy he attacked got 6. I liked shadynasty's name. Her choosing drugs over frank was so predictable but they nailed it. Reggie getting dragged off AGAIN. Like I saw it all coming but it all hit anyway. It was a very structured parody.

I thought it was great though I didn't laugh out loud that much either. very structured parody nails it, saw a lot coming but it was still excellent.

my aunt's second episode of it ever but she didn't remember the first one she saw, I just happened to be over there and she watched. she laughed a lot!

I like when they break the format but stay true to the characters and humor, and this episode did exactly that.

I thought the show peaked in season 4, where a bunch of the episodes all did the same and turned out incredibly (Cracks the Liberty Bell, The Nightman Cometh, Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life). The last two seasons I didn't enjoy very much, except for a select few episodes from Season 5 that came close to that ridiculousness (Wrestles for the troops, Kitten Mittens, DENNIS system).

I'm gonna have to give it another watch, I can't say I was fully involved. I guess why I didn't like it first viewing was it was a pretty predictable parody, but didn't have any real jokes to make things interesting. And I'm not sure dedicating basically 50% of the episode to a character that no one's ever seen before and wasn't particularly funny or likable was a great idea, though I do like Jon "Crosetti" Polito. Looking svelte by the way

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    y2jake215 wrote:
    I'm gonna have to give it another watch, I can't say I was fully involved. I guess why I didn't like it first viewing was it was a pretty predictable parody, but didn't have any real jokes to make things interesting. And I'm not sure dedicating basically 50% of the episode to a character that no one's ever seen before and wasn't particularly funny or likable was a great idea, though I do like Jon "Crosetti" Polito. Looking svelte by the way

I think everything you say here is actually true, I just actually liked the episode even still. it was unique, it was nice to see some history of frank (as ridiculous as it was)

I forgot frank making the hoagie in his mouth and just the running thing of frank talking with his mouth open and always having food falling out did make me laugh.

• RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote:

Yeah, it was pretty awful. I'm going to go with the fact that the main cast was hardly in it. Lance Reddick was the only one to get a laugh from me, other than Danny Devito's completely over the top cocaine binge.

Variable wrote:
    y2jake215 wrote:

I think everything you say here is actually true, I just actually liked the episode even still. it was unique, it was nice to see some history of frank (as ridiculous as it was)

I can understand why you would, and I'd rather they take shots with unique storylines and episode ideas like this one, even if there's an occasional misstep, rather than get stale and recycle what they've already done.

I did like that it was implied he was really young, then he goes to Colombia for who knows how long, loses all his hair (or was the fake toupee for the flashback supposed to be a toupee?) and calls Polito who looks exactly the same

C8Ft8GE.jpg