As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trenches comic: Thursday, Oct. 6, 2011

2»

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Oolong wrote:
    Who the hell is talking in the third balloon of the middle panel? And why are they saying that?

Mirror universe Issac. Because he's the evil one, you see.
    dammit why did that guy have to get himself banned, his plot was starting to get good

Kreutz on
  • webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    While I'm enjoying the new comic in terms of content, am I the only one not completely sold on the artstyle? The weird body/head shapes and especially the bright orange noses just haven't clicked with me yet. I look forward more to the accompanying stories than the strips themselves.
    I find it weird that Kurtz claims to enjoy drawing it, and yet is constantly copy-pasting in strips. It's obvious that we're at least looking at the same Marley in Panel 1 & 3, if a not every panel.

Not just the individual characters, the entire panel is C+P.

trench.gif

It's dead, Jim.
  • NorthNorth Registered User regular
    It's a comic about a conversation that takes place over about 10 seconds there shouldn't be much movement in it. Do you want the characters to dance a jig or something?

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I like "I can make the bars go up"

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's been plenty of copy + pastes on Penny Arcade before. It's really... weird how people are suddenly being harsh toward Trenches for it.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I personally have no problem with copy pasta. I'm not feeling the noses, though. And the story has yet to grab me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    Weren't meanin to be 'arsh. Just with everyone talking about how that one guy looks pasted, I thought I'd mention that the whole frame seems to be. I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

I still hate the noses though.They look scooped out.

It's dead, Jim.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    yeah when one of my co-workers left the job, the work place's D&D group stopped meeting. I think he was the warrior though.

jCyyTSo.png
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I like "I can make the bars go up"

orig-7831851.jpg

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    As other people have discussed before, there are indications that many of these strips were done ahead of time so they'd have a bunch in the bucket ready to go for the launch of the website. So that means Scott drew them a fair amount of time ago.

Recently on the PvP website, Scott has indicated that he was feeling that his drawing was becoming too mechanical, too much like constructing his characters instead of really drawing them. So it's quite possibly Scott was realizing (during the time that these strips were originally drawn) that he was starting to get too copy/paste with his work. And now he's trying to rely on that less. So I say good on him.

BLM - ACAB
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    webofink wrote:
    I still hate the noses though.They look scooped out.

Have you seen the new Conan movie? It's fun, but there's a scene where
    Conan jams his finger into the nasal cavity of a dude who previously had his nose lopped off.

And it's been a while since a cringed at the idea of the pain of something in a movie as much as that scene.

BLM - ACAB
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Skelly B wrote:
    This story actually sounds like a pretty pleasant experience. I'd take that over filing or scanning books any day.
    Seriously, I worked conveyor belts with less interesting stuff going on.
    Yeah, my first "real" job after I got out of college was inspecting insulin carpules at a pharm company. Talk about your soul crushing monotony.

steam_sig.png
  • runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    Scott's always done the copy/paste thing. It got ridiculous for a while on PvP and he stopped doing it as much. I think the difference is that rather than just pulling character templates from a file and making a comic out of them, he's now drawing at least one or two panels of a comic but when he needs to just replicate a stance he simply copy/pastes from within the same comic. That's how PvP seems to work anyway. Trenches seems to be using the old "paste from a master file" approach, presumably to save time.

mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Well, he's probably still learning the characters too. I would imagine he has the PVP characters down so he can crank them out quickly in almost any pose. These guys are all new.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • DextolenDextolen Registered User regular
    Copy / Paste is not a big deal to me. Only care about the humor/story.

• runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    Dextolen wrote:
    Copy / Paste is not a big deal to me. Only care about the humor/story.

Quite

mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Wasn't Jerry an anti-copypasta artist at one point?

I personally don't have a strong opinion, but I thought a lot of that was because Mike/Jerry used to snipe certain other artists about it...

• KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My philosophy on this is that if script is so-so, the art better be damn good, and inversely. XKCD got away with stick figures because it was really clever. SMBC is another example of a comic with lacklustre art but great writing. On the other hand, Penny-Arcade doesn't always have the most earth-shatteringly clever script, but the facial expressions of the characters is what sells it (like in today's comic).

The copy/paste wouldn't be so bad if the comic had us on the edge of our seats.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ain't no one forcing you to read it.

• KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Perhaps, but that thread was visible from the forum webpage and I thought I had something to contribute. Haven't you ever discussed with your friends how you were disappointed by artist X's latest work? This seems like the best place to do this.

I thought Mike was helping with the art on this? This seems to be entirely drawn by Scott. Would be neat to see Mike play a bigger role in this one, his characters are much more dynamic. Today's comic as exhibit A.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Ain't no one forcing you to read it.

I think the thing to keep in mind here is that people are critical of this comic because they expect more based on what the artists have done previously. It's not like Trenches is on a separate site, it's all part of the "Hub" now so there is assumption (rightly or wrongly) it will match up in quality/style to the other parts. We could of course only post if we love it, but is that really what a discussion thread is for? I'm pretty sure if the comic was better there would be less critical posts, just a thought.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Evermourn wrote:
    It's not like Trenches is on a separate site,

Err...

http://www.trenchescomic.com/

Now it doesn't have a forum of its own, that much is true.

Gaslight on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kurtz's art has improved by leaps and bounds over the years. It has nothing to do with a lack of talent, and probably just a lack of time due to how much is on his plate these days. But hey, let's wait and see. It's a new strip, so I think things will get better as they adapt to the new workload.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Evermourn wrote:
    It's not like Trenches is on a separate site,

Err...

http://www.trenchescomic.com/

Now it doesn't have a forum of its own, that much is true.

Come now, its in the feed on the main site. You know what he meant.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Kurtz's art has improved by leaps and bounds over the years. It has nothing to do with a lack of talent, and probably just a lack of time due to how much is on his plate these days. But hey, let's wait and see. It's a new strip, so I think things will get better as they adapt to the new workload.

According to his site, he's actually been getting TOO realistic lately, as it causes him to need models to keep things looking right, so he's actually trying out a more cartoony style again.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    There's been plenty of copy + pastes on Penny Arcade before. It's really... weird how people are suddenly being harsh toward Trenches for it.

Penny Arcade tends to have some dynamic details that draw your attention away from this, though.

Trenches is pretty bland, so it's a lot easier to notice.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204