As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Supertrip 2007

• Options
    ZyzzyvasZyzzyvas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not 100% sure if I'm going this year, as I'm not sure if the friend I usually stay with in Seattle will be in town during PAX but it's looking more and more like he will now. So if so I will be coming and also another friend of mine might also be coming with me. Both of us will be travelling from Victoria most likely in my '88 Chevy Beretta. I don't want to make any promises about available seats in my ride as I basically have nothing set in stone as of yet but if everything falls in place I should have at least one seat available, 2 if you don't mind squishing. :P

Zyzzyvas on
  • Options
    RisseRisse Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know I'm not a forumgoer, but I was wondering if I could hop on the Supertrip too. I live in Bellingham and would really appreciate the ride. :)

Risse on
  • Options
    Mo1sonMo1son Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    A suggestion, if I may. Post a gigantic passport notice three months beforehand (becuase that's about how long it takes to get passports), and flat-out refuse to allow anybody onboard who doesn't have theirs.

Protip: The Canadian passport offices are getting slammed right now, people are having 4-5 and ever longer (were talking months here people!) waits. So, APPLY NOW if you need a passport!

Mo1son on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the legality doesn't come into effect until the preparations for PAX 2008, but it's still entirely recommended to get one to secure the ease of crossing the border. our passport offices are currently flooded with air traffic demands, I'm hoping they'll get their asses in gear to open some more government offices to deal with these problems.

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    UPDATED: I've got a basic schedule worked out, aiming for an arrival in Seattle around 3pm. The Western/Vancouver route will take a bit more work for the timing, because there's a ton of road manipulation going on this summer.

The schedule can be viewed in a much clearer version here.

b0wser on
  • Options
    Enigma KahnEnigma Kahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    were going to be leaving earlier cause im wanting to meet family in calgary, by the way, if anyone wants, supper will be at the smugglers inn at 7 o'clock on the 22nd, great food, from there we are moving out 9-10 ish, give us lots of time

Enigma Kahn on
  • Options
    Enigma KahnEnigma Kahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oh, and right now im sitting at 4 100% going, 2 iffy people, i need to know who needs rides by the end of the month so i can break down rental costs and set rentals up, ect

Enigma Kahn on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    were going to be leaving earlier cause im wanting to meet family in calgary, by the way, if anyone wants, supper will be at the smugglers inn at 7 o'clock on the 22nd, great food, from there we are moving out 9-10 ish, give us lots of time

If our possible Winnipeg group can't make it, we can bump the Calgary departure time back a bit-- and you'll be on perfect schedule!

b0wser on
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My girlfriend and I are taking the Clipper there, but since pax seems to end JUST after the 5 o'clock departure time on sunday, we could use a ride home. When is the return trip being organized? Is it just assumed to be the same as the initial trip?

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    edited May 2007
    As with the CCST in past years, the return trip isn't really formally organized. Different groups usually want to head out at different times, so I don't know much in that department.

Best bet is to stay updated in this thread, and see if you can work out something with someone from your area.

b0wser on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oh hay sup

Group Leader: GeeCee
    Waypoint: Western Start, Downtown Vancouver
    Vehicle: 2000 Chevy Blazer
    Other Riders: My brother, Arkley, AbsintheMinded. Middle seat remaining.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Good news for passportless Canucks,
    the passport wait time is down to approximately five weeks. Plenty of time to get one!

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    edited May 2007
    It's certainly a whole lot closer that way. I'm not sure on price, but with a ferry ride regardless, it's probably a lot cheaper too.

UPDATED: Set registration cut-off date, August 1st. See FAQ for info. I will need cell phone contact info for group leaders as well. It would also nice to start hammering out some more solid group information (names & such), but we've still got decent time for that.

b0wser on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So is it too late now? Can I still join, even if I lack a passport?

Ranx on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Start getting a passport right NOWZ (very useful thing to have even if you aren't going on the trip)

Link to Canada passport office:
    http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=e

You'll need to apply in person at a passport office. There are two in Vancouver:

Passport Canada (go here if at all possible)
    Suite 200
    Sinclair Centre
    757 Hastings Street West
    Vancouver, BC
    Mon-Fri: 7:30 - 16:30

Service Canada Centre
    Harry Stevens Building
    125 10th Avenue East
    Vancouver, BC

But first
    Go here:
    http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/printable_forms.aspx?lang=e

download the appropriate form, print it, fill it out in advance.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got my passport for germany in 24 hours , it costs money but it can be done. I am not sure how strict the border is near Vancouver, but for Montreal I went up 12 times this winter from the states for work with no passport from January to March.

Not sure if it is because I am dashingly handsome or it was close since the change, but I had no problems entering or leaving the country. Your best bet is to get passports and do not bring anything you are not willing to have found when your car is searched. Pretty basic. If you have a birth certificate and no passport, you can try to get over, that should work as long as you guys are not dicks to the border people. Even though it states passports I know people that have done it since the change over as well besides me.

You can take the chance, but it might hold up the whole caravan. Just don't get arrested and good luck. Make sure you have music, water, and lots of energy drinks.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Since the requirement for passports really only affects air travel at this time, they do still let you across if you've got an equivalent stack of valid identification. $87 can be a bit of a hit to the wallet, especially when trying to save for the event-- but if you've got that extra bit of money hanging around, I strongly recommend getting your passport.

Passport vs. Birth Certificate & Government issue ID (gun licence unacceptible), BC Medical card, Social Insurance card.

Entering Canada is immensely easier than the opposite approach, our guards aren't even armed at all times. There's been reports of Canadian border guards walking off from their posts because an armed felon was approaching the border in Washington. I will go directly to the Abbotsford-Sumas border station and get their opinion, where I discuss this whole plan with them.

b0wser on
  • Options
    smessmes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I plan on taking the Clipper from Victoria to downtown seattle. Perhaps us Victoria folks could do that then meet up at the pre PAX dinner?

smes on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    But, that's not very Supertrip of you...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Cheaper then taking the ferry to Van then driving down.

How many people are coming from Victoria? Is anyone else interested in doing the clipper route?

smes on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Cheaper, no.

Fun, no.

edited to reflect the fact that the clipper isn't cheaper

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Taking the Clipper is not cheaper, and it alienates Victoria attendees from the true uniting ethos of the Canadian Supertrip. It is much cheaper to form a four person group in a carload, and take the conventional route to join us in the Canuck Caravan. One person from Victoria would likely find an easier trip on the Clipper, but a group who could have just as easily loaded a car will be paying far more than anyone needs to.

One person, round trip on the Clipper is minimum $100USD.
    http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry_schedule

Four people in one vehicle with BC Ferries is ~$85-90 each direction. Depending on the vehicle, it could take anywhere from $15-30 in gas to get you there in each direction. With fare and fuel sharing between the members of the group, this is the most economically viable approach.
    http://www.bcferries.com/fares/vanvicpeak07.html

Also, I'm almost bored to tears after the 1.5 hour trip from Tsawassen to Swartz Bay, but the 2.5 hour trip on the Clipper is dreadful.

b0wser on
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Group Leader?: Steve (de4dmeta1)
    Driving: Erik (Theros)
    Waypoint: uh... Lansdowne?
    Vehicle 1996 Ford Explorer 4DR, with complimentary bigass dent. 83 litre gas tank. Range varies between 400-500 kilometers. Last year we filled up across the border and didn't have to put any gas in until we got back to the border afterwards.
    Riders So Far: de4dmetal, which leaves two seats plus... THE MIDDLE.
    Contact: therosiandoom at gmail dot com, de4dmeta1 at hotmail dot com. Something else, probably.
    Cell: Available upon request, cause posting it publicly is probably a ludicrously atrocious idea. No offense. XD

Now, the biggest wrench in the works is that I have my very last class of the current term at BCIT the morning of the 23rd. It ends noonish, though I have no idea if it might be let out a little earlier or not. Thusly, I'd, with any luck, be able to get to Lansdowne from BCIT by 1:00 at the latest (Provided I actually prepare ahead of time and don't get stranded in awful Vancouver traffic.) We'll be applying for passports sometime _soon_, as soon as we get things like references/guarantors sorted, and BRAVIN DE LINES... and then hoping that they actually keep to the "Two weeks" rule for in person applications...

I noticed that there isn't much in the way of timing for the waypoints in my general area yet - if I drive like a maniac I could probably pull the same times I did last year, which would see us leaving Lansdowne somewhere around one and arriving probably before three, but then again, TICKETS/DEATH BAD.

Should arrive in time for the Pre-PAX Dinner, and with any luck it's probable we'd make the first wave. Whee!

Theros on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I haven't had the time to sit down and look over all of the construction project schedules to try and figure out the proper timings for the Western branch. I don't live in the city, and I don't have a clue what sort of nightmares could be waiting in the traffic department, but I'd really like to get that finished as soon as possible, if anyone's got ideas toward it.

Opinions on the timings and schedule would be great too, since I'm kinda just winging it and hoping the plan works at this point. I want as many groups as possible to fit in with this schedule, and I think it's not impossible to work with some downtime buffers to make that happen.

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm coming from Victoria and will definitely not be taking the Clipper seeing as there is baggage restrictions and I'm doing BYOC (along with the 2 other people coming with me). :p

Zyzzyvas on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've just had some new ideas come up about the ferry situation from a past Island attendee, so I'll now be putting these two ideas together (BC Ferries vs. Washington State Ferries). I want to present them to the Island attendees for discussion. The exact costs for these options have not been worked out.

At present, we're working with Option A: BC Ferries. The recommended departure sailing is 0900 from Swartz Bay, arriving at the Tsawassen terminal for approx. 1030. This would allow for a fully comfortable departure from Bellingham at 1300 like the schedule says.

The new idea posed to be brings us to Option B: WS Ferries. The Washington State Ferries group runs a sailing out of Sidney BC at 1145, which arrives in Anacortes WA for 1325. Anacortes is southwest of Bellingham, which means that the group would meet up with the rest of the CST Convoy at Mt. Vernon. If this route is adopted, the current schedule and maps will be changed to reflect the new route action.

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also those under 18 should remember to have your parents give you a permission to travel letter! Sometimes the border guards can be a bitch about having one.

smes on
  • Options
    DMiguelDMiguel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm trying to find out since I'm soloing it when I'm going to know for sure what vehicle I might be going in or are we coordinating that on site at one of the waypoints. Do I need to start yapping up some of the people who are driving? I'm trying to score a spot to sleep as well and I'm hoping whatever vehicle I may end up in is attending the pre-pax dinner. Anybody?

DMiguel on
  • Options
    The CrowingThe Crowing Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    Excellent, I'm in.

Group Leader: Steve (Me)
    Driving: Steve (Me)
    Waypoint: Kamloops, BC
    Vehicle: '89 Toyota Camry, complete with rust damage and a missing hubcap. 16 gallon tank with 30mpg. I'd give you a liter/kilometer estimate, but to be honest, I've never done any heavy driving with this car, so all I can offer is standard specs.
    Riders So Far: My buddies Scott and Tye. Which leaves 2 more seats. 3 if someone wants to sit in the middle.
    Cell: Message me and I'll tell you.

I've got a question about the schedule that was posted on the last page. At the top, it said that the times were in Pacific, Edmonton time. Which is it? Edmonton is mountain time. I need to knowwwwwww. Either way, though, it looks like we'll be having a pretty early morning in Kamloops.

And one last concern: What exactly makes up a permission to travel letter? Is there some sort of template I can use and have it signed or what? I don't want to run into too much trouble at the border. I'll still only be 17 when PAX rolls around.

The Crowing on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    b0wser wrote: »
    I've just had some new ideas come up about the ferry situation from a past Island attendee, so I'll now be putting these two ideas together (BC Ferries vs. Washington State Ferries). I want to present them to the Island attendees for discussion. The exact costs for these options have not been worked out.

At present, we're working with Option A: BC Ferries. The recommended departure sailing is 0900 from Swartz Bay, arriving at the Tsawassen terminal for approx. 1030. This would allow for a fully comfortable departure from Bellingham at 1300 like the schedule says.

The new idea posed to be brings us to Option B: WS Ferries. The Washington State Ferries group runs a sailing out of Sidney BC at 1145, which arrives in Anacortes WA for 1325. Anacortes is southwest of Bellingham, which means that the group would meet up with the rest of the CST Convoy at Mt. Vernon. If this route is adopted, the current schedule and maps will be changed to reflect the new route action.

Hmmm that's mighty tempting, I wasn't even aware of that ferry. It would be about $45 more round trip for me and my 2 passengers but the savings in travel time and gas would definitely be worth it. I'll have to discuss it further with my passengers but I'm going to tentatively give the green light for option B for my group.

Zyzzyvas on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've got a question about the schedule that was posted on the last page. At the top, it said that the times were in Pacific, Edmonton time. Which is it? Edmonton is mountain time. I need to knowwwwwww. Either way, though, it looks like we'll be having a pretty early morning in Kamloops.

And one last concern: What exactly makes up a permission to travel letter? Is there some sort of template I can use and have it signed or what? I don't want to run into too much trouble at the border. I'll still only be 17 when PAX rolls around.

I should add a line to that schedule to clarify the time zones. The times are all in PST, so when it says departing Edmonton at 1800, it will be 1900 for you. I don't know if anyone will actually be bumping their watches back an hour for the weekend, but I'll throw in the Mountain time schedule as well.

As for a parental letter, it's really just a letter from your parents informing the border officer that they are fully aware that you are leaving the country. It should describe at least briefly the duration you'll be gone and where you'll be going. Contact information for your parents should also be on it, in the event that the officer wants to verify your story. You and your parents should all sign it and date it, and then keep it with you-- it will be a piece of your "important documents". You could even have a picture of you and your parents together with the letter, giving more proof that it is a legitimate document.

b0wser on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey I just wanted to let you know that emoeric is coming with me and even though hes from Tsawwassen, he will be at the abbotsford waypoint with me.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Girlfriend and I coming from Victoria.
    We'll be going there on the early bird friday Clipper, but like I said earlier, can't return on the clipper due to retarded Clipper scheduling.
    If anyone is returning to or through or near Victoria Sunday night after the con and has two seats,
    I would gladly chip in for a ride home. :)

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fellow Victorian here, my original plan was to take the clipper over with a friend from Vancouver and we'd just hike seattle and/or take transit. Would be interested in joining a group though.. since it's social and whatnot.

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    How many potential clippers are there? If theres a lot we could meet up at the terminal in Vic...

smes on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    If you've got five people looking to pay the cost of the Clipper, that's almost worth considering pooling all that money together and seeing if you can save by forming a group and renting a vehicle together to get down there and back assuredly.

FaroutFoolio: I'm not entirely sure as to what the open spaces will be like yet, since I'm waiting back for some Island group response. If there's two spaces available, we'll try and get you those return spots for sure!

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah I know. My boss is being an ass and won't let me have Thursday off, so I'm SOL this year for supertripping.

smes on
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Holy crap, i've been absent from this thread for a loooooong time, I'd pretty much forgotten about the whole deal, but I have it all sorted out.

I'll be driving down, either solo or with a couple family members who are coming along for the ride and just hanging out in Seattle while I'm PAXing it up. Since i'm still subject to the British Columbia government's positively totalitarian driving restrictions, I can only carry one non-family passenger... so I technically only have one space open despite being in a four-seater car. I'm staying at the Crowne.

Group Leader: strangemusic (Chris)
    Waypoint: Art Gallery (downtown Vancouver)
    Vehicle: Volkswagen Golf hatchback, 4 seats, 1998 model, red, recently underwent mechanical checks and minor repairs. Damned if I know the fuel data but it gets pretty far on one tank of gas. I have an in-car GPS system for navigational purposes.
    Other Riders: Probably 2 family members who are coming along to do stuff in Seattle. One other capable driver.
    If not, just myself (but I still only have room for one person as per legal reasons above)
    Contact: email me at sonic_singularity@hotmail.com, PM me if you need my phone numbers.

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    kittyhawkkittyhawk Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    Group Leader: Kittyhawk (Brenna)
    Waypoint: Calgary
    Vehicle: Giant green van.
    Other Riders: 5 others possibly with extra vehicle. Will post if open seats are available.

kittyhawk on
This discussion has been closed.