As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Johnny Depp, not satisfied with ruining my childhood, attacks the source

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Social Entropy++
First he took this:

Ct5sJ.jpg

And turned it into this:

hEjKs.jpg

Then he took this:

gTSmM.jpg

And turned it into this:

EqcbC.jpg

Now, Johnny is going to weirdly become him:

1V2yp.jpg

From NyMag blog, Vulture (via THR)
It's no secret that Johnny Depp loves the following: wearing silly, headgear-friendly costumes; portraying popular writers; and money. So nobody should be too alarmed to learn that the man's preparing to not only produce but also star in a live-action feature film about the iconic Dr. Seuss, known among the generally discerning medical community as Theodor Geisel. The project will be developed by the actor's Infinitum Nihil production company (which has both The Rum Diary and Hugo on this year's docket), with an assist by Illumination; Universal will handle distribution. There's no screenplay or release date yet, so it looks as though Depp will have an ample amount of time to pursue his primary passion: hat shopping.

At the end of that blurb is this link, which I find a bit too glowing: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/risky-business/johnny-depp-dr-seuss-universal-illumination-245072

Discuss, and don't even get me started on Finding Neverland.

Goose! on

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I liked all those movies

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    All those movies were good though

This one looks like it'll keep that up, unsurprisingly

Sweeney Tom on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    no they weren't

xmassig2.gif
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Alice in Wonderland was fucking terrible.

and not all of it.

Depp was terrible as the Mad Hatter.

• Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular

sweeney tom opinions

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    johnny depp must be stopped, no matter the cost

sweeney tom opinions

Alice in Wonderland was fun for all except a few scenes, even though I disliked the ending

And Willy Wonka wasn't that bad

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Alice in Wonderland is terrible

Willy Wonka would be tolerable if they didn't turn Wonka from a cheery entertaining yet still decidedly off man into a straight up pale weirdo creep

CYpGAPn.png
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Can we all agree that the opinion would be higher of both Alice in Wonderland and Depp's Hatter if not for the dancing scene?

Nothing. Matters.
    Alice in Wonderland was absolutely fucking awful

not in a "oh waa it wasn't like the original"

it was just an absolutely horrible movie

Willy Wonka was just a snoozefest

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it isn't Depp who chooses his outfits in movies

I'm pretty sure he only even acts the way he does in them because that's what wanted for the character

Aphostile wrote:
    Can we all agree that the opinion would be higher of both Alice in Wonderland and Depp's Hatter if not for the dancing scene?
    Not really

the visual style of the movie is horrible and I hate even looking at it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the thing about the willy wonka remake is

why on earth would any actor invite comparisons between themselves and Gene Wilder

that's a contest you can't win

Honestly I thought Depp did fine in the remake! I hated pretty much everything else about it but he was dandy. But it wasn't as good as Gene Wilder because it's Gene fucking Wilder

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Art is amazing in that everyone will see it differently.
    I enjoy Depp as one of the few true actors, including his more colorful roles.

I don't see anyone murdering Jim Carry for the Grinch. (Or the Riddler for that matter of hatter)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    Aphostile wrote:

This

And I agree with Mensch. You guys have to remember, this is Tim Burton we're talking about. His mind's never in the right place. It's extremely possible and likely that you felt the way you did about Alice and Willy Wonka because of Burton's work, and not because of Depp. Depp tried to make the best of an awkward situation.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Both those movies were good? Sweet Jesus fuck my ass Christ, the most positive review I would've ever expected about either of those terrible pigs is something like "It didn't quite give me a tension headache"

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

I don't see anyone murdering Jim Carry for the Grinch.
    Really

CYpGAPn.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Michael Jackson and the Daddy Issues Factory

xmassig2.gif

I don't see anyone murdering Jim Carry for the Grinch. (Or the Riddler for that matter of hatter)

lol to the left, lol to the right

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Johnny Depp is a major qt who keeps getting picked for really obnoxious roles because he can play them really well

Aphostile wrote:

This

And I agree with Mensch. You guys have to remember, this is Tim Burton we're talking about. His mind's never in the right place. It's extremely possible and likely that you felt the way you did about Alice and Willy Wonka because of Burton's work, and not because of Depp. Depp tried to make the best of an awkward situation.
    Man what

Depp is like best friends with Burton and has been in a shit ton of his movies

I really doubt he is like "man this movie terrible but I guess I will do it"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    TIM BURTON must be stopped, no matter the cost

Fixed to highlight the actual villain of this piece.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah honestly I'm surprised that so many people are dumping on him in here

I generally really like him

I just don't like a lot of the movies he's in

I think the common thread of Suck between Charlie and Chocolate Factory and Alice in Wonderland isn't Johnny Depp but Tim Burton

EDIT: aaaand a bunch of people beat me to the punch on that opinion

Speed Racer on
    let's just go back in time and kill Tim Burton after he's finished with Beetlejuice

it was all downhill from there

xmassig2.gif
    the thing about the willy wonka remake is

why on earth would any actor invite comparisons between themselves and Gene Wilder

that's a contest you can't win

Honestly I thought Depp did fine in the remake! I hated pretty much everything else about it but he was dandy. But it wasn't as good as Gene Wilder because it's Gene fucking Wilder

It was everybody's fault for thinking anybody could top Gene Wilder

This is why Gene Wilder is so fantastic, right here:
    In 1971, Mel Stuart offered Wilder the lead role in his film adaptation of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Wilder was initially hesitant, but finally accepted the role under one condition:
    “ When I make my first entrance, I'd like to come out of the door carrying a cane and then walk toward the crowd with a limp. After the crowd sees Willy Wonka is a cripple, they all whisper to themselves and then become deathly quiet. As I walk toward them, my cane sinks into one of the cobblestones I'm walking on and stands straight up, by itself... but I keep on walking, until I realize that I no longer have my cane. I start to fall forward, and just before I hit the ground, I do a beautiful forward somersault and bounce back up, to great applause.[21]”

When Stuart asked why, Wilder replied, "because from that time on, no one will know if I'm lying or telling the truth."

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:

Really

holy shit

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I think there's one thing we can all agree on and that is Johnny Depp is sweet on the eyes.

I used to fool around with a girl from Owensboro. Sometimes I wish that she was Johnny Depp.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Putting Finding Neverland aside, I think Burton is to blame more then Depp.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:

Really

Yeah.
    Really.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The problem with Chocolate Factory was thinking anyone could top Wilder.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    In 1971, Mel Stuart offered Wilder the lead role in his film adaptation of Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Wilder was initially hesitant, but finally accepted the role under one condition:
    “ When I make my first entrance, I'd like to come out of the door carrying a cane and then walk toward the crowd with a limp. After the crowd sees Willy Wonka is a cripple, they all whisper to themselves and then become deathly quiet. As I walk toward them, my cane sinks into one of the cobblestones I'm walking on and stands straight up, by itself... but I keep on walking, until I realize that I no longer have my cane. I start to fall forward, and just before I hit the ground, I do a beautiful forward somersault and bounce back up, to great applause.[21]”

When Stuart asked why, Wilder replied, "because from that time on, no one will know if I'm lying or telling the truth."
    one of my favorite anecdotes

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    let's just go back in time and kill Tim Burton after he's finished with Beetlejuice

was Nightmare Before Christmas before or after Beetlejuice? Because I really like Nightmare Before Christmas.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it isn't Depp who chooses his outfits in movies

I'm pretty sure he only even acts the way he does in them because that's what wanted for the character

I'm not saying Tim Burton is blameless (and I hate Tim Burton's movies), but:

"Johnny Depp used game show hosts as well as children television hosts, such as Fred Rogers, as his inspiration for his performance as Willy Wonka. He also said in interviews that Willy Wonka would be "part Howard Hughes-reclusive, part 1970s glamorous rock star"."

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Also this title implies that Goose's parents conceived him due to Dr. Seuss

Oh The Places You'll Go indeed

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote:

Really

Yeah.
    Really.
    There are so many great actors out there

it isn't like it is a dying breed

Johnny Depp has talent but takes shitty roles, he ain't the last son of Edwin Boothe

CYpGAPn.png
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:

one of my favorite anecdotes

yeah this is a bit brilliant

gene wilder you wonderful man

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

Big Fish?

Nothing. Matters.
    even though it's a bad movie I have somewhat of a soft spot for Charlie and Chocolate Factory only because I went on my first date with my first girlfriend to go see it

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    This just in Tim Burton rebooting Beetlejuice with Johnny Depp as Beetlejuice