As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Clean graphics driver install?

CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
Running 64-bit Windows 7, using an NVIDIA card (560Ti). I used to use Guru Driver Sweeper to wipe out the old graphics driver before installing the new ones, but I've heard apparently the newer versions of Driver Sweeper contain spyware? Or something? I don't know. Anyone more knowledgable able to chime in?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
Catalase on

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Phyxion version of Driver Sweeper? I used that before and didn't have any trouble with it but honestly, you should just use Ccleaner. It is amazingly intuitive to use with great little tools.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Phyxion Driver Sweeper now comes bundled with OpenCandy. OpenCandy is a program that runs during the installer, and is classified variously as Adware and/or a Potentially Unwanted Program. ESET currently blocks the download of Driver Sweeper for this reason, and for a while MSE blocked it as well (until OpenCandy basically paid off Microsoft to get the detections removed). Guru3d removed has blacklisted Driver Sweeper for this reason.

That being said, some people aren't bothered by OpenCandy, and Phyxion insists that it's harmless. Many folks claim OpenCandy cleans up after itself nicely, and can be opted out of. I don't know, because I've not had experience with it aside from it making ESET freak out. It's up to you how you wish to proceed.

Personally, I think you can do a mighty fine job of cleaning out and upgrading drivers without Driver Sweeper. Take a look at this insanely in-depth guide over at the EVGA forums for details.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Insanely in-depth is right...might go with Isy on this one. You've used Ccleaner before without issues?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    nVidia drivers have a clean install option when you install them.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I only ever use ccleaner now but like tycho says, Nvidia make it super easy to do clean installs.