As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Took me a while to figure out the first colossus. The game neglected to inform me of being able to charge my stabs... or it did and I was too busy trying to hold on to a behemoth.

The second one took a bit longer but by then I sort of knew basically what to do. Does the game move this fast the whole way with the way you transition from kill to your next target? It seems very jarring and I always assumed the game was a giant sprawl of wandering. Still though the collosi are a frustrating but fun experience so far and I assume they're going to keep getting larger and more complex.
    They get a bit harder to find (later ones tend to be in shaded areas, so you can't use the sword to find them too easily), but there aren't any huge dungeons on the way or anything.
    Wandering is more of a choice, but there are a fair number of areas you'll never see if you're just chasing colossi.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote:
    Man, I forgot how infuriating SOTC can be. I've spent like an hour trying to get the 4th colossus to look in those goddamn tunnels, and nothing. ICO's the better game by miles.

Edit: Finally! I didn't really do anything different when it worked, it just "took."
    The trick with this, I realized, is
    to lure it in between the mounds and then hide. It doesn't appear to peer into the holes unless its body is on the opposite side from the opening. When this occurs you actually have two routes aboard the colossus, heading out a different tunnel and hopping up the tail, or waiting for the head to peer down and grabbing the dangling bauble to climb up the head. The head route is more challenging by far, but also more exciting.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    Just picked this up tonight. I'm starting with SoTC. Ico was one of my favorite PS2 games, but I never even finished SoTC. Figured I should give it another chance since it seems to get more love than Ico.

90 minutes in, and I'm only more convinced that Ico is the better game. Managing a grip bar and waiting for your character's flopping around animations to finish just isn't compelling gameplay. I'm going to push through to the end to see if I change my mind, but I'm not confident.

A few more Colossi in, and this is growing on me. The game does sacrifice playability in order to make the game more cinematic at times, but man alive is the game beautiful as a result.

Also realizing why I never finished the game originally. I had a rental copy with no manual, so I didn't
    know about the fruit or lizards. It got pretty tough by the end with no grip or health upgrades.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It is worth noting, too, that the PS3 version is noticably worse in terms of "waiting for your character's flopping around animations to finish"

As in it's actually a worse game than the PS2 version because of this.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Brym wrote:
    Also realizing why I never finished the game originally. I had a rental copy with no manual, so I didn't
    know about the fruit or lizards. It got pretty tough by the end with no grip or health upgrades.

I'm pretty sure the manual didn't mention fruits or lizards. There's tons of stuff that the manual doesn't mention, like the secret horse moves. It's all part of the discovery process that they intended.
    Maddoc wrote:
    It is worth noting, too, that the PS3 version is noticably worse in terms of "waiting for your character's flopping around animations to finish"

That's too bad. It was the most frustrating part of the original version.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    There are secret horse moves? Like he knows kung-fu or something?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Eh, I haven't come across any fruits yet. Or I probably have, just didn't notice. I would never have thought of skewering the lizards if I hadn't read it on the internet. And I only wasted twenty minutes trying to grab a hawk 'cause a trophy mentioned it.

I guess I'm not playing the game properly 'cause I'm not really exploring. I'm just going after the colossi. But I am paying attention to my surroundings! They are pretty. So pretty, my surroundings.

I'm not exactly blown away. When I played Ico, I immediately got exactly why people hailed it as such a special game. SotC isn't really clicking for me in that way. Not to say that I'm not enjoying myself. I'm loving the whole process of looking for weaknesses on the colossi or looking for ways to expose that weakness by exploring the environment or trying whatever makes sense. However, the last two colossi I faced, numbers 9 and 10, those guys were just annoying.

Vegan wrote:
    Brym wrote:

I'm pretty sure the manual didn't mention fruits or lizards. There's tons of stuff that the manual doesn't mention, like the secret horse moves. It's all part of the discovery process that they intended.

Oh. The manual for the Ps3 collection does tell you about them, so I just assumed the original did too.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:

Not really seeing this complaint, there are ways to get things done quicker (i.e jumping stab, does about as much damage as a charged stab but takes less time but slightly more coordination/skill). Though to be honest, in general, I'm not seeing more flailing than the PS2 version.

It amazes me how good these games still look.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I got much closer to controller-throwing rage with this one because of the flailing. I'd make it to the right spot, be ready to stab, and I'd barely even be able to get a brief stab let alone a charged one. Sometimes I'd get shaken so much that I'd have to climb down someplace flat to recoup, having done little to no damage. I don't remember ever having that much trouble getting a stab in when I played the PS2 version.

That didn't happen with every stab point, though, and I made it through to the end. As to this being a worse game because of it--I don't know about that. The improved visuals plus the solid framerate--especially the solid framerate--put the remake on top, I think.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    harvest wrote:
    There are secret horse moves? Like he knows kung-fu or something?

No, but you can bring Agro to a direct halt, make him do a 180 turn and stand up then jump off him. None of this is explained, you have to figure it out for yourself.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    You can also hang off sidesaddle. I believe you hold R1 and triangle, then press to the left or right on the left analog stick.

Ah yeah, I thought I was forgetting one.

I love the little touches Team Ico put in their games. Agro walking off to drink water or eat grass when you're doing stuff, being able to pat Agro, etc.

Mr_Grinch wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

Not really seeing this complaint, there are ways to get things done quicker (i.e jumping stab, does about as much damage as a charged stab but takes less time but slightly more coordination/skill). Though to be honest, in general, I'm not seeing more flailing than the PS2 version.

It amazes me how good these games still look.

Are you sure that this version is worse in terms of character flopping? I remember the original being just as bad.

Ah yeah, I thought I was forgetting one.

I love the little touches Team Ico put in their games. Agro walking off to drink water or eat grass when you're doing stuff, being able to pat Agro, etc.

You can fully stand up while riding him, too. All of that stuff was undocumented.

steam_sig.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm really not sure about the character-flopping thing. Sometimes I could swear it's worse than it was on the PS2, but other times I manage to get kills far faster than I ever managed before.
    The last boss is a good example of this; on the PS2, I always always always had trouble getting the deathblows on him, as he just moved around too much.
    On PS3, I get him first time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Brym wrote:
    A few more Colossi in, and this is growing on me. The game does sacrifice playability in order to make the game more cinematic at times, but man alive is the game beautiful as a result.

It's a very cinematic game. You kind of have to fall in love with the atmosphere to get over the gameplay haggles, but once you do it's seriously one of the best games ever.

Ico is completely genius because it's gameplay keeps you thinking all the time while thrusting you into gorgeous and amazing new environments constantly.

The only reason why I might put SotC over Ico is because it's just the most epic game ever made and the payoff is only matched by, like.. Silent Hill 2, Deus Ex, or maybe RDR.

Halfhand on
    corio2.jpg
    Oh, my God @ Colossus number 13...

That was amazing.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

One example of that I really liked on this Ico playthrough
    I was at the windmill and Yorda ran off to chase some birds and watch them.

I don't remember if I noticed that on my original playthrough. Just really adds to the believability of the characters and the world.

Okay, I had this problem with 15 and I'm having it with 16 as well. The annoying-as-shit flailing around. I've figured out what to do. I've made it to their vitals. God damn it, just lemme kill it. I can't get more than a couple of stabs in before I have to step away to let my grip meter restore. This isn't difficult, it's just fucking tedious. Keep R1 pressed 'till you get a 5-second window to stab the motherfucker for every 60 seconds of flailing. What fun!

• JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    both games seem to have their issues.... I for one find Ico, as great as it is, borderline unplayable when it insists on making me fight off shadow creatures with a stick. Simply not fun to the point that it sucks all the fun out of the game and makes want to not play anymore. I actually wish it had no bad guys or I could cheat myself and Yorda invulnerable or make all the enemies die in 1 hit or something.

Flailing colossi > stupid shadow buttholes

steam_sig.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I read that as 'shallow buttholes' and I was wondering how you found that out.

B6yM5w2.gif
    Phew. I actually died once and had to do the whole final colossus again. I went about it a lot more calmly this time. Took me about 15 minutes of stabbing. :| But that ending? That ending was totally worth it.

These were both wonderful and unique games and I'm grateful that Sony re-released them, otherwise I might never have played them.

Phew. I actually died once and had to do the whole final colossus again. I went about it a lot more calmly this time. Took me about 15 minutes of stabbing. :| But that ending? That ending was totally worth it.

These were both wonderful and unique games and I'm grateful that Sony re-released them, otherwise I might never have played them.

I'm getting the sense that I'm going to understand the SotC>Ico point of view a lot better once I get to the end of SotC. Still managed not to have it spoiled so far!

Jebral wrote:
    both games seem to have their issues.... I for one find Ico, as great as it is, borderline unplayable when it insists on making me fight off shadow creatures with a stick. Simply not fun to the point that it sucks all the fun out of the game and makes want to not play anymore. I actually wish it had no bad guys or I could cheat myself and Yorda invulnerable or make all the enemies die in 1 hit or something.

What don't you like about it?

I thought my wife would love Ico back when we first started dating in 2002, but she couldn't play it because she said it was "too creepy." She said a big part of that was the feeling of helplessness with having to fight with a stick. I asked if she would feel better if the game used a sword graphic (even if everything else about it behaved the same as the stick) and she said "yes."

• JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    Brym wrote:
    Jebral wrote:

What don't you like about it?

Well, I love the environments, exploration and atmosphere... I just hate the actual feel and mechanics of the fighting. Not the principle of using a stick or anything. That being said, it's not like combat is major part of the game, I just roll my eyes and trudge on through when it pops up.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2011
    I haven't really found the combat difficult. I'm three hours in and have only 'died' due to Yorda being dragged down once. The game keeps me on edge though, every time I have to leave her to perform a platforming segment I'm terrified of the damn things appearing.

::Edit:: The main complaint I have with Ico is the damn camera.

Mr_Grinch on
    Mr_Grinch wrote:
    ::Edit:: The main complaint I have with Ico is the damn camera.

That's my biggest fear in my upcoming replay of it. That's the area where standards have really advanced in the last 10 years, and I'm a lot less forgiving of a bad camera now than I was then.

It's like it's fixed in a place and you can just sort of pivot it. Most of the time it gives you a good enough view but in some fights it becomes infuriating.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    When you're exploring the incredible environment and solving puzzles, ICO is a treasure.

Whenever a shadow appears, it becomes punishingly unfun. At least early on, anyway. Once you get a better weapon at least killing them doesn't take like six hits. (During which you knock them over and have to wait for them to get up)

edited October 2011
    Thoughts:

I wish I didn't have to kill number thirteen. I wish I could just hold on to his back while the camera zoomed out and he flew over the entire land.

I think I'd prefer it if both the games had ended without the tag after the credits. Just seems like a wuss-out. Though I guess SotC's was necessary to explain its position in the mythology.

Now that I've finally played these two, I'm actually disappointed that The Last Guardian is what it is. Ico and SotC are so different in terms of what you do, even though they're quite similar thematically. The Last Guardian just seems so... familiar. Exploring ruins with your pet colossus. Nothing against that concept; I have full faith that it'll be fantastic. It's just that if I'd been paying attention five years ago, when they first revealed SotC, my mind would've been blown. What intrigues me most about The Last Guardian is the team behind it, not the premise.

Lastly, why does the manual call him "Wanda"?
    Brym wrote:

I'm getting the sense that I'm going to understand the SotC>Ico point of view a lot better once I get to the end of SotC. Still managed not to have it spoiled so far!

That might ultimately come down to personal preference. I thought they were both great and won't pick a favourite.

Muddy Water on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    Aside from trophies and HD, there's no
    Thoughts:

I wish I didn't have to kill number thirteen. I wish I could just hold on to his back while the camera zoomed out and he flew over the entire land.

I think I'd prefer it if both the games had ended without the tag after the credits. Just seems like a wuss-out. Though I guess SotC's was necessary to explain its position in the mythology.

Now that I've finally played these two, I'm actually disappointed that The Last Guardian is what it is. Ico and SotC are so different in terms of what you do, even though they're quite similar thematically. The Last Guardian just seems so... familiar. Exploring ruins with your pet colossus. Nothing against that concept; I have full faith that it'll be fantastic. It's just that if I'd been paying attention five years ago, when they first revealed SotC, my mind would've been blown. What intrigues me most about The Last Guardian is the team behind it, not the premise.

Because Wanda is his name in the Japanese version. We call him Wander because the localization team noticed that he had a girl's name.

Aside from trophies and HD, there's no
    Thoughts:

Because Wanda is his name in the Japanese version. We call him Wander because the localization team noticed that he had a girl's name.

Wasn't the title during development Wanda and the Colossus? I seem to remember that. Sounds way less badass.

• l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    Not just in development; the game's title is Wanda and the Colossus in Japan. It's Shadow of the Colossus in English speaking countries.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    They didn't put the "ru" on the end because it still sounded fine as a romanization of "Wander". With the extra bit on the end, people might think it's "Wanderer".

DarkPrimus on

Yeah. The idiots that made the manual probably didn't pay much attention when they changed it. I assume they've used the same manuals for the collection? Or did they find a second, somehow even more incompetent, group of idiots?

DarkPrimus wrote:
    They didn't put the "ru" on the end because it still sounded fine as a romanization of "Wander". With the extra bit on the end, people might think it's "Wanderer".

Which would actually be pretty decent.

steam_sig.png
  • orionminusorionminus Registered User regular
    Picked this up at Best Buy for $24.99 a few days ago.

Never played either. Which game should I play first: Ico or Shadow?

Ico