As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mirror's Edge - Mirror's Edge 2 is more likely than you think! Now on iPhone!

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Come to think of it, I'd have been more happy with the time trials if they were actually deliveries rather than just running around on shit as fast as possible. It just seems so pointless otherwise.

"Pizza time!"

"... You're late. I'm not paying for those."

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not that I don't appreciate Lewie's mother's painting

It's very, very nice

But dammit people I thought something happened with Mirror's Edge 2

UnbreakableVow on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    That almost looks like a screenshot.

It's a (very well done) painting of a painting, actually! Concept artwork from when the visual style was almost in place.

Bioptic on
    edited July 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Come to think of it, I'd have been more happy with the time trials if they were actually deliveries rather than just running around on shit as fast as possible. It just seems so pointless otherwise.

"Pizza time!"

"... You're late. I'm not paying for those."

Wise man say, "Forgiveness is divine but never pay full price for late pizza."

UnbreakableVow on
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    People are talking about Mirror's Edge in the Steam thread, which got me to re-install and start playing again. It's great! I'm exploring, avoiding fights, and falling to my death every so often.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Every time this thread bumps, I think there is sequel announements. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    So who's going to help me make the DLC work with my Steam copy. Anyone?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Pretty sure this is the thing I used to get the DLC working with Steam. Obviously you have to have bought and downloaded it from Origin first. It replaces existing time trials through a folder in MyDocs that overrides the install one.

Re:bad opinions in the Steam thread: I thought it was hilarious that he said that gunplay deserved its own section in criticism. Really? The game that actively discourages you from using guns to the point of never letting you pick up spare ammo past the initial clip and disabling all your fancy running and making you slow with almost all the guns gets its own section on gunplay? Okay then. :rotate:

Also "dead-eye AI" only makes sense if their eyes are literally dead and they cannot see.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Pretty sure this is the thing I used to get the DLC working with Steam. Obviously you have to have bought and downloaded it from Origin first. It replaces existing time trials through a folder in MyDocs that overrides the install one.

Re:bad opinions in the Steam thread: I thought it was hilarious that he said that gunplay deserved its own section in criticism. Really? The game that actively discourages you from using guns to the point of never letting you pick up spare ammo past the initial clip and disabling all your fancy running and making you slow with almost all the guns gets its own section on gunplay? Okay then. :rotate:

Also "dead-eye AI" only makes sense if their eyes are literally dead and they cannot see.

You're right. Putting in an aspect to a game that is purposefully shitty and purposefully not fun is great game design.

I'm so dumb! I like my games to not suck and to be fun!

EDIT: Also seriously? You're making fun of the use of a commonly used term for ultra accurate aim? Really? Look in a dictionary. For fucks sake. You can hate my opinions but don't be straight up wrong.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    You're right. Putting in an aspect to a game that is purposefully shitty and purposefully not fun is great game design.

I'm so dumb! I like my games to not suck and to be fun!

EDIT: Also seriously? You're making fun of the use of a commonly used term for ultra accurate aim? Really? Look in a dictionary. For fucks sake. You can hate my opinions but don't be straight up wrong.
    For me personally, Mirrors Edge delivered on the part I bolded.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Why are you here, Herp? Here to take another stab at objectivity?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I have a dream that one day I'll wake up and be alerted by the joyous cries of children in the streets that both Mirror's Edge 2 and Beyond Good & Evil 2 have been released. The only thing that will dampen my elation on this day will be deciding which to play first.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited September 2011

I'm making fun of the notion that the AI has ultra-accurate aim. Isn't that obvious? What could you possibly think I meant? Reading that sentence you honestly thought I didn't know what the phrase meant? Really?

And yes, giving a trivial portion of a game that the game discourages you from relying on and which can be easily avoided if you do what the game keeps telling you to do its own section in a review is silly. That is a silly thing.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    This guy found the guns in Mirror's Edge too easy.

By the end of the game, I stopped attacking enemies at all, even with fists, just because I could. The room with the machine gunner right in front of the elevator that I had to call and wait for required some unconventional tactics.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    SvK wrote:

By the end of the game, I stopped attacking enemies at all, even with fists, just because I could. The room with the machine gunner right in front of the elevator that I had to call and wait for required some unconventional tactics.

My first run through ME was no-guns. My second was no-guns + no-disarms. No third added a no-attacking clause. It got more fun each time.

I've actually never fired a gun in Mirror's Edge, despite spending at least 40 hours in it.

minor incident on
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    SvK wrote:

My first run through ME was no-guns. My second was no-guns + no-disarms. No third added a no-attacking clause. It got more fun each time.

I've actually never fired a gun in Mirror's Edge, despite spending at least 40 hours in it.
    except for the 1 shot that is forced on you to progress

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Never of my own choosing, I should say.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    http://spong.com/article/25519/DICE-Gamers-Are-Ready-For-Mirrors-Edge-2

not news of a sequel, but at least they're still considering it a possibilty

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Still haven't gotten rid of the damned jazz hands. Beginning to think its impossible

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    that is the best quintuple post i have ever seen

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    THOSE FUCKING JAZZ HANDS

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So many jazz hands.

Vanilla fail. Again.

Jazz Hands. Geralt's one weakness.

s7Imn5J.png
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    So, even in the best case scenario fall 2013 is earliest anything will appear... :( At least that means it can be on the next generation of systems and be prettier than ever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    On the one hand I really want a sequel.

On the other, I really don't like Origin.

8(

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    There is no on the other hand. ME2 could cause your computer to explode and it would still be great.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    "i have never enjoyed the sensation of glass shards in my eyes so much" - first impression of mirror's edge 2

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I tried doing a no guns run, but that went out the window on the level where you start at the top of a spiraling stairwell that guys with guns run up and more guys are in the lobby below. After dying to that a dozen times using guns made it so much easier. One day I may go back to it and try it without firing a shot, but that bit just drove me crazy.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Rakai wrote:
    So, even in the best case scenario fall 2013 is earliest anything will appear... :( At least that means it can be on the next generation of systems and be prettier than ever.
    I'm not sure that the addition of tessellation or godrays or what have you will actually do anything useful. The super high res textures are more than good enough with their art style. Maybe some frostbite 3 terrain deformation.

steam_sig.png
    Xeddicus wrote:
    I tried doing a no guns run, but that went out the window on the level where you start at the top of a spiraling stairwell that guys with guns run up and more guys are in the lobby below. After dying to that a dozen times using guns made it so much easier. One day I may go back to it and try it without firing a shot, but that bit just drove me crazy.

I did not fight anyone during that sequence. Instead of running down the stairs (there are men with guns there!) I made a series of big drops (intentionally taking damage) using some of the landings and some structures inside the spiral. The guys with the big guns on the bottom floor are on the opposite side of the room from the exit, so I was able to take cover and evade them. I died quite a few times figuring out the route.

http://spong.com/article/25519/DICE-Gamers-Are-Ready-For-Mirrors-Edge-2

not news of a sequel, but at least they're still considering it a possibilty

Thanks, news article

I sure as shit didn't know that I was ready for a fucking sequel to Mirror's Edge 2

I would give my first-born for Mirror's Edge 2. I would knock up a chick and hand over the first-born.

Spoit wrote:
    Rakai wrote:
    I'm not sure that the addition of tessellation or godrays or what have you will actually do anything useful. The super high res textures are more than good enough with their art style. Maybe some frostbite 3 terrain deformation.

You can get better dynamic and variable lighting and shadows, reflections, decent looking hair, larger areas etc. There are a lot of little things that can be added/improved even if it doesn't show up as much in a screenshot.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the shooting in mirror's edge wasn't great but it was at least ten times better than bioshock.

i loved running to the back of the room to find the biggest guy with the biggest gun, stealing it from him, and then turning the tables on the rest of the goons.

something about faith opening up with a heavy machine gun just made me smile.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Think they'll add some sort of multiplayer this time around? Maybe racing with your friends? The time trials in the first game weren't exactly compelling.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    multiplayer racing through the city would be amazingly fun.

what i really want is for dice to playtest the SHIT out of ME2, though. a lot of points in ME1 it felt like only the level designer knew where you should go, and it was literally trial and error before you figured it out, even with the vaunted red runner vision.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    ME2? What? Oh... you meant Mirror's Edge 2.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

what i really want is for dice to playtest the SHIT out of ME2, though. a lot of points in ME1 it felt like only the level designer knew where you should go, and it was literally trial and error before you figured it out, even with the vaunted red runner vision.
    I played through the first time with runner vision off and loved it. It felt a lot like Portal, where every segment was a puzzle.

Arteen wrote:

I played through the first time with runner vision off and loved it. It felt a lot like Portal, where every segment was a puzzle.

yeah, i eventually got that vibe, but i wanted more flow. parkour (to my layperson's mind) is all about movement and momentum, not 'oh shit i'm being shot at WHERE THE FUCK DO THEY WANT ME TO GOOOOOOO' :P

RxI0N.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Big Isy wrote:
    So many jazz hands.

Vanilla fail. Again.

That's not a vanilla fail sweetie, that's you repeatedly mashing the button with your oversized ham hands. Be more careful in future.