As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Talking about Netflix

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote:
    @templewulf no they're like that in all areas. Broadband without cable is like $60 a month, with cable, you can get it down to $20 if you're good at making deals. $40 is what you get after your 1 year new member policy gets up. You can just threaten to cancel and get it for $20 again.

Yeah, I don't even own a TV, so...when my one year is up they're going to have a pretty tough time convincing me to get cable.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote:
    Or needing internet at each device in the house. Streaming a movie is all well and good to my PC, or maybe even my PS3, but what about if I'm watching a movie in my bedroom? It's not exactly something routinely feasible at this point in time. Not until houses come with media servers and are wired to the brim with technogadgets. Something that's going to cost a pretty penny.

The average US household has 4 internet connected devices, and that number keeps gaining. This is a future that is already here.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Well yes and no. Your desktop and two laptops are okay. Streaming media over wifi is a bit of a different beast. Especially when more than one person does it.

I'd be more worried about data caps at the moment than getting everyone to have a media server or media caching server.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Or needing internet at each device in the house. Streaming a movie is all well and good to my PC, or maybe even my PS3, but what about if I'm watching a movie in my bedroom? It's not exactly something routinely feasible at this point in time. Not until houses come with media servers and are wired to the brim with technogadgets. Something that's going to cost a pretty penny.

The average US household has 4 internet connected devices, and that number keeps gaining. This is a future that is already here.
    But what kind of devices make up that number? My cell phone is technically connected to the internet, but I don't actually pay for the data-plan so I can't access. All of the cable boxes from Verizon are connected to the internet technically as well (they show up on the routers ip table and if the router goes out so does the ability to do on-demand and the like), but that doesn't mean I can stream net-flix on them. Laptops, tablets, even e-readers can skew that number.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:
    Amazon quietly announced a huge deal with Fox Broadcasting Company over the weekend. Posting directly on Amazon.com, CEO Jeff Bezos brought the big news to Prime subscribers who will now have unlimited access to an additional 11,000 movies and TV shows. These are huge titles, too: The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 24, Arrested Development, and The Wonder Years. Yep, you can now stream the adventurers of Kevin Arnold through Amazon’s Prime Instant Video.

But Netflix already has a lot of those, and they still haven't released a standalone app for any console. That aside, it's a sweet move.

Amazon needs to broker a deal with Microsoft/Sony now in order to get Prime Instant Video on the consoles.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Elki wrote:
    Amazon quietly announced a huge deal with Fox Broadcasting Company over the weekend. Posting directly on Amazon.com, CEO Jeff Bezos brought the big news to Prime subscribers who will now have unlimited access to an additional 11,000 movies and TV shows. These are huge titles, too: The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 24, Arrested Development, and The Wonder Years. Yep, you can now stream the adventurers of Kevin Arnold through Amazon’s Prime Instant Video.

But Netflix already has a lot of those, and they still haven't released a standalone app for any console. That aside, it's a sweet move.

Amazon needs to broker a deal with Microsoft/Sony now in order to get Prime Instant Video on the consoles.

It's funny that you mention that. I saw that my Sony blu-ray player supported Amazon Prime (so I'm assuming the PS3 already does, just not the Xbox) and I was interested in the $79 a year price point.

The selection is like 1/10th of what Netflix currently has though. You don't get access to all of that fancy new stuff, it's really the exact same things that neflix already has, minus the stars package, the deal they just signed with discovery networks, and the upcoming exclusive deal with Dreamworks.

IMO it's not worth the money.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I can't find the article, but someone was telling me it came up that some statute(this surprised me) prevented Netflix from streaming new dvd releases immediately, at the same time as offering them via rental. So presumably, while the improvement to negotiation from discrete viewer groups is beneficial, much more so is that the split now allows Netflix to have streaming movies available right when they come out on DVD.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2011
    bowen wrote:
    Well yes and no. Your desktop and two laptops are okay. Streaming media over wifi is a bit of a different beast. Especially when more than one person does it.

I'd be more worried about data caps at the moment than getting everyone to have a media server or media caching server.

I use netflix on my Wii, which only has a wireless conection anyway. Works fine, although for some reason the user interface is dumbed down. It is less conveniant to USE than my PC, but the quality of the streams is nothing to complain about.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    DigitalD wrote:
    I wouldn't be shocked if Netflix wasn't hoping someone bigger, like Comcast, just bought them out and integrated them into their existing service. Netflix doesn't have enough cash to really pay for any content, they'd have to charge so much that it wouldn't be worth it for the consumer. Better to get bought out by Comcast, Amazon, whoever and let them do the price raising.

It would be terrible if Comcast bought them. Comcast is an evil that I will abide only during football season.

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Elki wrote:

It's funny that you mention that. I saw that my Sony blu-ray player supported Amazon Prime (so I'm assuming the PS3 already does, just not the Xbox) and I was interested in the $79 a year price point.

The selection is like 1/10th of what Netflix currently has though. You don't get access to all of that fancy new stuff, it's really the exact same things that neflix already has, minus the stars package, the deal they just signed with discovery networks, and the upcoming exclusive deal with Dreamworks.

You know that you also get free 2-day shipping with Prime, right? I mean, that's actually the main reason to get it.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    EggyToast wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Elki wrote:

You know that you also get free 2-day shipping with Prime, right? I mean, that's actually the main reason to get it.

I think that's only for items sold by amazon though, but I'm not sure.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    EggyToast wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Elki wrote:

I think that's only for items sold by amazon though, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, but I've been using Amazon Prime for 5 years now, and I can count on one hand the stuff I've had to buy outside of them from independent retailers on there. Even then, some of those guys are supported under Prime.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    It is. And Amazon's app is growing its base, a $200 wireless TV I bought has Netflix, Hulu and Amazon apps. It's probably just a matter of time before it appears on consoles, assuming Netflix doesn't have some sort of exclusivity contract with them.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Tomanta on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I wonder how long it takes for their CEO to settle on pizza toppings to order.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    I wonder how long it takes for their CEO to settle on pizza toppings to order.

He probably decides instantly, cheerfully announces the 50-pizza order he's already made, then is shocked that everyone in the office hates goat anus pizza.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh boy.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    But they may also scrap the video game plan, according to Joystiq:
    Update: A Netflix spokesperson tells the New York Times that the company has yet to determine whether it will move forward with the video game rental plan.

I don't really care about that, though.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Reed Hastings is forced out of the company soon. What a PR mess. Piss off your customers not once but twice in as many months, then hastily apologize and try to act like none of it happened. The whole Qwikster debacle will be studied by business school students for years as an example of how NOT to run a company.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Someone (i think it was on the NYT's techblog thing) speculated that they did the Qwikster thing so soon after the price jump in a sort of "well, they're already mad, might as well get all the dirty laundry out at once" strategy.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Wow I hope they do go forward with the video game rentals! I was looking forward to that!

The announcement email is kind of lame:
    It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wow, what the hell is this company doing?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Backtracking

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    At this point instead of "yay, they're making things less annoying!" the general reaction is "...do these chucklefucks even know what the hell they're doing anymore?"

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    Continuing to make me wish I had pulled the trigger and sold at $293 a share... came so close. I have noticed a lot more good stuff on streaming in the past few weeks. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Howl's Moving Castle, Tron: Legacy, etc.

I wonder if that Facebook integration thing is going to go anywhere now they're not splitting off dvd.

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    Slot-machine management.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    At this point instead of "yay, they're making things less annoying!" the general reaction is "...do these chucklefucks even know what the hell they're doing anymore?"

So much this. the whole thing feels like they have no idea what to do.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Either Netflix just wasted a shitload of money, even if it was just people working on rebranding the new service, or the original announcement was made unilaterally without notifying anyone and since then everyone has been doing nothing.

Neither of these reflects well on the company.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Either Netflix just wasted a shitload of money, even if it was just people working on rebranding the new service, or the original announcement was made unilaterally without notifying anyone and since then everyone has been doing nothing.

Just the legal work to prep for a split = set up the new company, transfer ownership of the DVD stock and shipping centers and separating employees - must have been massive.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Dammit, Netflix, you are not improving investor confidence!

Please don't drive this company into the ground, I don't know what I'd do without you!

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular

Just the legal work to prep for a split = set up the new company, transfer ownership of the DVD stock and shipping centers and separating employees - must have been massive.

Judging by the qwik and dirty website that was set up (Basically a "coming soon" page), the fact that there were other entities using the name Qwikster, and that they didn't even bother getting the twitter name before announcing the split, I would wager that they did no prep work at all and it really didn't affect them that much, at least financially.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    That's who I really feel for. Jason Castillo.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Judging by the qwik and dirty website that was set up (Basically a "coming soon" page), the fact that there were other entities using the name Qwikster, and that they didn't even bother getting the twitter name before announcing the split, I would wager that they did no prep work at all and it really didn't affect them that much, at least financially.

That's the general feeling I got.

...then again, I think this whole debacle will hurt Netflix in that it'll scare away a few customers. I know I'm going to be seriously evaluating whether streaming is still worth it over the next few months.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote:

That's the general feeling I got.

...then again, I think this whole debacle will hurt Netflix in that it'll scare away a few customers. I know I'm going to be seriously evaluating whether streaming is still worth it over the next few months.

Now that quite literally nothing has changed, everything is different?

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote:

Nothing... except the price shenanigans and the fact that they've squandered all of their good will with many of their customers.

adytum on
    Yeah, even though they didn't go through with it, they can't expect everyone to just forget about it.

edited October 2011
    adytum wrote:
    Skoal Cat wrote:

Nothing... except the price shenanigans and the fact that they've squandered all of their good will with many of their customers.
    The price shenanigans happened before this. If it was okay a few months ago, why does this retraction of a split service change that? Also, they are reversing on a change that had a huge backlash. That sounds like pretty decent good will/saving face. They launched an idea that you didn't like, doubled back, and now you're still annoyed?

edit: Do you still hold grudges after people apologize too?

Skoal Cat on
    Yeah, the pricing thing annoyed me but I was ok with it (mostly annoyed that the DVD side went up in price instead of the streaming side that is getting more expensive for them). The Qwikster move is what really made me lose confidence in Netflix as a company. But I still get a good value for their service (personally).